Why are you not using LaTeX ?

Why are you not using \LaTeX ?

Attached: jumpingcursed.jpg (525x509, 26K)

lAteŚ

Because it's verbose and overkill for many situations.
Markdown or org-mode often get the job done much more comfortably.

Because I dropped out

Because I am using org-mode. I certainly don’t want to limit myself to PDF export only, and I prefer an actually usable syntax.

i do and i love it

because i graduated college and have no need to write scientific articles.

I prefer semantic markup, that is, a more complete separation of content and presentation.

Where I work, we use S1000D, which is an international specification for technical publications. It's not particularly well known outside a few industries, but it's comparable to DocBook or DITA.

In some cases, I do still use LaTeX purely for the typesetting engine by outputting LaTeX macros from S1000D data, just like DocBook can be rendered with LaTeX via the official XSL stylesheets or pandoc, but generally I've found that when I need more control over the resulting PDF output it's much simpler to use XSL-FO and an FO processor such as Apache FOP than trying to wrestle with various LaTeX packages.

Attached: images.png (297x170, 8K)

Because I like visual layout, prefer wysiwyg, and latex is a waste of time with results that look really bad.

It pisses me off that using a preset documentclass yields different results on different platforms.
What the fuck is the point of the whole system then?

Care to provide an example? It could simply be your PDF reader on either platform, for example, Adobe Reader has certain "helpful" features enabled by default, like making thin lines look thicker, that can mess up how the document looks.

this shouldn't happen have examples or links?

Can't give you the files since it's for work but I get a different PDF output on my local Mac machine and running remote CI both using documentclass=report

because R markdown is a thing

You should try and make a minimal working example, i.e. a dummy document with \lipsum text that displays the same issue.

Attached: 2019-07-22_14-07-51.png (1649x556, 38K)

One simply appears to have numbering enabled, and the other doesn't. Are you writing LaTeX directly or using something like Pandoc? Maybe you aren't passing the same arguments on both platforms?

I am using pandoc but it's the exact same makefile on both systems.
pandoc --toc -V documentclass=report -V geometry=margin=2cm,top=2.5cm,headheight=16pt,headsep=0.1in,heightrounded \
--output=---.pdf $(CHAPTERS_GLOB)

Same version of Pandoc on both systems as well? Try explicitly adding -N/--number-sections. Otherwise, this is most likely an issue with Pandoc producing different LaTeX code on different platforms, not an issue with LaTeX itself.

I believe so. Also, it's the Mac output I desire.

>I believe so.
Well, you can actually confirm it with pandoc --version.

>latex is a waste of time with results that look really bad.
It's a lie and you know it

I don't know. I don't use half of the features of libreoffice writer/impress and don't do any fancy layouts besides underlined/bold text, images and bullet points for my documents. How difficult to learn is latex or any other markup language and how does it handle stuff like equations, images and graphs?

when it comes to handling equations nothing ever even comes close, its the absolute kings
It handles images and graphs excelllently as well
However there is a learning curve though not gonna lie. But imo libre office is shit and not worth it, id rather use the google office suite online at that point desu

Latex claims to allow people to focus on the writing, not on the formatting. This is fine if your document has an existing template. Problem is, each university has its own snowflake thesis specification and it is a pain to learn Latex just to port it. There's usually a MSword template of the thesis. The latest versions of MSWord also already caught up to Latex in terms of formatting, citation (via zotero plugins), formulae and generating table of contents etc. There's literally no reason for using Latex other than to indulge in """programming""" while writing prose.

bloat

use (g)roff with custom makro files

Because Asciidoc+LaTeX Math exists.

Yeah, you're right. It's just impossible to find docker images with up-to-date pandoc and make.

Cool. I think i'll try to redo my cv and some of my math reports with latex as a learning exercise.

>handling equations nothing ever even comes close
This is actually false. MS Word is a pleasure to write equations in.
Word is still subpare in the following:
>Figures
>cross referencing
>citations and bibliography.

I'm trying to get into it, what editor should I use? At first I was using the one that came from MikTex installer, but it felt too heavy on my toaster. Then I changed to SublimeText and latex plugin. I'll probably only using it to make my CV/resume.

I should. LibreOffice has fucking ATROCIOUS kerning.

i use vim but that's for hipster trash like me, just use whatever you feel comfortable with, im sure there are good lists online

Just use LyX

Because I use troff.

>I prefer semantic markup, that is, a more complete separation of content and presentation.
Based and redpilled. Semantic rules, presentational drools. LaTeX, Markdown, BBcode, etc. can go fuck themselves.

>but that's for hipster trash like me
confirmed retard

Because I directly write in PostScript.

As someone who just finished a publication with Word (because rest of team was using it), fuck no. Even with everything you mentioned, making a minor alteration or inserting a figure still blew up the formatting 75% of the time. Figures in particular are the worst to deal with.

Because there's only so many Underfull \hbox (badness 10000)[\come] I can be bothered dealing with.