There is no way around it...

There is no way around it. You have only one way to fight the trannies and subversion of good software and Unix principles in tech.
Use OpenBSD and write in C.

Attached: openbsd_5_5_motif_window_manager_by_ipodpunker-d7a66lu.png (1680x1050, 351K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/71584782/
lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

UNIX principles don't lead to good software. Quite the opposite.

I unironically agree with your sentiment although i'm not quite there yet. I've been planning to install
OpenBSD on my thinkpad for a while now, just need to get myself to do it.

Especially since systemd, Linux is doing a lot to fragment the *nix ecosystem. The other unixes deserve more consideration.

Why are you always thinking about trannies?

No drivers, no performance, no vidya
Explain something better then
I agree, systemd is shite. That's why I'll likely install Gentoo or Void soon.

>bloat is good

C and UNIX were created by white nationalists and the fuhrerprinzip is a fundamental part of the UNIX philosophy.

Systemd is an attempt at literally the opposite of fragmentation. I don't think its effects are good either, but claiming that a standardization effort like that drives fragmentation is just dishonest.
The other unices deserve as much consideration as they did when linux took over everything. The only other unix that still actually exists is the other free software unix that's been doing everything possible to follow GNU's lead just to stay relevant.

Bloat was an issue in the 70's when the pdp used to develop the first versions of UNIX didn't have the memory to implement a proper compiler for C. Or simple things like an actual assignment operator := because holy shit that's two characters we can't read that properly
You can go live in a forth shell if you think simple features aren't worth using a fraction of a fraction of your 8GB of RAM (this assuming your computer is newer than ten years old).

ITS had a versioning filesystem before UNIX came to be. If unix had one, no one would ever have ruined a file with the wrong pipes.
DOS does * substitution properly. If unix did too, no one would have ruined a whole system by accidentally running rm. mv *.a *.b would work too.
Windows stores configuration in a centralized registry. If unix did this, your home folder wouldn't need to be filled with dotfiles. By the way, ls not listing them is actually a bug resulting from a hotfix that hides . and .. from the output.
Genera had an omnipresent debugger. If unix did this no software would ever crash only leaving a core dump behind. Everything would give the user the options to change the erroring call, skip doing it or maybe editing the program to handle the error. Meanwhile unix software often strips debugging information from binaries for size.
In plan 9 /dev/screen is a framebuffer you can use to take screenshots from in a pipeline. In linux wlp16s0 is not a file.
Grand ideas, I know. Literally anything is better than trad unix.

C'mon OP, we know that you're not an OpenBSD user and that you stole this image from Google. You know how we know?
Because you posted this exact thread with the exact image a month ago.

No one is falling for your "trolling" attempts anymore, get a life.
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/71584782/

>chromium

>forth shell
God that would be great.
I agree about Unix being kinda shitty, though.

Because OP is retarded

He really is retarded, he thinks that he's the ultimate "troll" but in reality he's just an autist that keeps screeching over trivial stuff all day.

samefag

Is that your safety word when the world gets too tough for you?

>Windows stores configuration in a centralized registry
... and AppData (whose hierarchy isn't even respected by Microsoft), and ProgramData, and scattered hidden-flagged files/folders (including one to three files on each user's desktop), and in various directories within \Windows, and that's not even going into what third party applications do. I also think programs get some context-based permission to change the contents of their own Program Files directory or something, not sure how it works. Might be a hack to keep old programs running on new versions of Windows? New applications use it too, though. Whatever; *nix standards and conventions aren't ideal but in the current timeline I'll take dotfiles and predictable asterisk expansion over the towering monolith of hacks that is Windows. I wouldn't mind DOS either. Even OS X is preferable.

>accusing someone of being retarded embodies the toughness and harshness of the world
lmao what a faggot

Reminder that the UNIX filesystem huerarchy was literally born out of lack of disk space: lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html

Attached: 4EMLTM9_d.jpg (640x871, 46K)

dat pcmanfm
>bevel all around single toolbar instead of having horizontal separator line within set of stacked toolbars
>plain thick border around text input field with no comprehensible indication about it's state
>deep inset bevel for information fields in status bar for no reason at all, almost makes them look like input field
>nonsensical shallow bevel efect for places selection element

oh the thoughtful coherence within freetard GUI toolkits. makes me sick every time i see this shit.

Sounds perfect

Attached: file.png (458x612, 595K)

>freetard
Only a slave would insult a man for being free.

Makes sense, as "white" is just an Americanized, meaningless concept now.

What a dumb troll, I can't stop laughing at him.
He admitted he was trolling then he reposted it word for word.
It must be so sad to be him.

How so?

just use Mac OSX you faggots, at least it works

gently reminder that using gpl software make you as free as being an antifa make you an anti fascist.
bsd license is the only really free one.

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about fascism, nor the GPL.

This
Wan/g/blows is no longer developed. It is new features hacked onto a pile of inconsistent ideologies and previous hacks

>DOS does * substitution properly
1. that's an issue for your shell not unix
2. If the proper behaviour was obvious then they would yield the same result, it's better to have a script that can't be misinterpreted
>mv *.a *.b
Is more explicit as a for loop

idk, to me: "you can do whatever you want to the software EXCEPT what i dont like" sound a lot like "you have the freedom to be. do and say everything you want EXCEPT what i dont like" so fuck you and your authoritarian viewpoints.

Accidentally or not, it also has the nice side effect of preventing or mitigating issues related to haywire packages, disk filling denial of service attacks and the likes.

>Wan/g/blows is no longer developed
WASAPI is nicer to work with than any audio API on Linux and it's fairly recent without being piled on top of anything else. The Vista-era symlinks were also rewritten recently to make them actually useful. There's clearly some sane people working at MS but you do have to dig quite a bit to find them.

>Wan/g/blows is no longer developed. It is new features hacked onto a pile of inconsistent ideologies and previous hacks
True, but it's not like Unix (the original Unix, not POSIX systems) has ever been any different.

They live rent free in OP's head.

Holy shit I can't believe how one person can be this retarded, that troll is the dumbest person ever.

Attached: 1546586602588.gif (543x533, 415K)

> ITS had a versioning filesystem before UNIX came to be
MITfags are subpar programmers. That's because of American education, I wouldn't use any piece of technology coming from the USA purely.
Now we have some kind of versioned fs, you can let ITS die in peace and stop bringing it up because it had one or two features before times.
> Windows stores configuration in a centralized registry.
If you consider windows configuration a good standard you must be clinically retarded.

> Genera had an omnipresent debugger.
There you go, speaking about Genera, color me surprised.
Genera was shit as general-purpose os, had shit performance and lisp is not a good general-purpose programming language. What's the point of having cool features if it is barely usable?

As a side note, it's "Plan 9"

>haha it's a troll! let me post once again to show how what a dumb troll he is!

Spotted the "worse is better" degenerate who, when shown how shit Unix is and that other OSes did many things better long before Unix, can do nothing but sperg and deny.

> other OSes did many things better long before Unix,
You need to be more specific if you want me to take you seriously.

> can do nothing but sperg and deny.
I'll wait for your arguments

come home white man

Attached: plan9bunnywhite.jpg (1376x1492, 157K)

Fuck off Rob.

Based.
Seethe harder, troll.

trannies are disgusting, there is no other valid viewpoint.

Home looks really solid but I wish it was more than girders and studs with a toilet in the middle.

>t. Red Hat slash IBM trannie

>everyone who doesn't worship unix is a red hat tranny

>not using OpenIndiana
It's like you hate yourself.

Attached: OpenIndiana_2017.10-Phoenix-kmays-Screenshot at 2017-11-04 16-47-57.png (1500x975, 1.47M)

Does it run on ryzen 3 CPUs and does it support x570 motherboards?

>UNIX
You probably meant POSIX, and it's complete trash

>fight trannies
>write in C
Ahh, a meme-tard who doesn't program and just spouts 3rd-and shit he reads online.
Go back to watching Luke Smith and sending angry emails to Lennart Pottering, retard.

Attached: 1560204664981.jpg (560x401, 137K)

He's a troll, as pointed here:

im a tranny and btw i use openbsd

Kill yourself (unironically).

>Go back to watching Luke Smith and sending angry emails to Lennart Pottering, retard.
Doesn't Luke Smith love systemd?

Recently been interested in it.
How is software support?

I've read you can use linux binaries without recompilling (lxrun), it works by some sort of kernel function call translation layer
Do you use it? Does it work?

I'm interested in it because of ZFS and zones.

>How is software support?
Most open source software will compile and run. I haven't used any compatibility layers since it comes with almost everything I need.

>Windows stores configuration in a centralized registry. If unix did this, your home folder wouldn't need to be filled with dotfiles.
nice bait. even ms wants to get rid of that shit but can't because of backwards compatibility.

Luke is a retard, tech-illiterate retard regardless. He's even more stupid when he talks about non-tech.
Toddler mentality and the literal definition of a script kiddie

openBSD works perfectly on my hardware but it's pretty damn slow but I guess that's what I should expect. do any of you have workarounds to make perform faster?

compile it with a tickless kernel

You can enable hyperthreading if you accept the security tradeoff.

thanks. I'll try these

>be Luke
>clam to hate "bugmen" and "communists"
>talk in memes
>get excited over "mai nu Fagpad 420 xD"
>do childish analysis of irrelevant 19th century literature
>"imma go to church, join the masons and live in a cabin because Jow Forums convinced me that's how to fight liberalism Eck's deeee"
Luke should have stick to narrating man pages to be honest.

>analysis of irrelevant 19th century literature
which ones did he do

BSDfag here. Currently using FreeBSD because I couldn't really care less for Linux distros.

I don't know what's the big deal with OpenBSD outside the fact the default install can be a tiny bit more secure.

>only one way to fight the trannies and subversion of good software and Unix principles
Good luck with that, OP. AFAIK, the only full POSIX compliant OS is OSX (which is a bit of a half-truism desu)

Is it Luke riling you trannies up or just your typical mental illness? Also luke never claims to be anything other than a script kiddie/ricer.

>"yo zoomerinos did you know that... NPCs are real??? Someone had that idea before, crazy right?"
>"no, I don't think in words, that's exhausting lmao"
>"remember that really obvious Chinese room/statistical hypothesis/some Jow Forums meme book? Well I just realized something not obvious and that nobody else has thought of before"
>let galaxy brain Luke (clueless) explain it to you, kids"
He's such a self-unaware retard. Then again, what cab you expect from someone who posts Pepe's.
I'm sure if confronted he'd say it's "ironic" or to "filter my audience" or something to avoid embarrassment.
Same guy who defended systems and switched to Void the next day because people made fun of him.

i mean, hes a bit of a cringy meme, but probably he get more meaningful work done on linux than the people on this board ever will.
no watching anime and posting fetches is not meaningful work.

Default install isn't secure until you update.

They don't apply security updates to releases they expect you to do that yourself.

>self-posting
Fag. That's another thing too, your ego.
Nobody gives a shit what you think about video games or anime or political shit.
Bisqwit and Wolfgang are good because they talk about the actual video topic instead of rambling about a bunch of unrelated Jow Forums shit from 2016.
Jow Forums-aligned but a bugman (outdated meme by the way, grandpa) at heart.

Attached: 04.jpg (273x287, 44K)

>meaningful work
Tililing window manager tutorials isn't meaningful work.

Every Linux distribution that produces releases does the same, unless you use the netinst, which is an option on OpenBSD as well.

bsd devs stole your dilatation plug?

>lul tranny, gottem
It's literally out-of-date unless you run current branch or syspatch on release branch.
Back to Jow Forumsthe_retard

>It's literally out-of-date unless you run current branch or syspatch on release branch.
Running syspatch is really easy, though.

Not true, Gentoo releases daily.

yeah, because its an instable rolling mess

Actually the stable releases are daily because Linux isn't cucked UNIX like OpenBSD.

Gentoo is rolling, so they release snapshots daily.
And OpenBSD releases rolling snapshots daily.
Your point is...?

>Default install isn't secure until you update.
Fair cop, tho I meant base, no extras or layer8 fiddling about and around with it.

Gentoo snapshots are for installing, not for upgrading like OpenBSD snapshots. Portage handles upgrades flawlessly.

Exactly. The majority of posters do nothing for the libre community and that's exactly why its getting pozzed.
All it takes for evil to prevail......

>Linux
>not cucked
pick one, ffs

Once again you are wrong, OpenBSD's snapshots are complete installation images of the operating system, you can install OpenBSD from them just fine.
Seriously is that the best trolling that a tripfag like you can do?

The directions for using OpenBSD snapshots say to download an rd reboot and follow an upgrade prompt.

Gentoo snapshots are literally just tarballs of the base system.

You can use them for upgrading and installing, retard.
Unlike Gentoo's snapshots, which are only used for installation.

Doesn't seem like it to me, considering the "installation" you are talking about is literally an upgrade process.

The installer offers you the choice of installation or upgrading, you would've known that if you did five minutes of research about the topic you're discussing.
But like most newfags these days, morons like you talk about things they know nothing about all the time.
I'm done replying to you as you obviously lack any knowledge about the topic at hand.

Stop talking to the tripfag. He’s a known troll and you’re still replying

Well yeah you can install 6.5 or whatever but the directions say you need to reboot with an .rd and then upgrade.

Seems more like its just some clunky diff style shit that will break your install if its customized. Not smooth or easy to use like Gentoo at all. Guess its just because OpenBSD doesn't have enough developers to make it easy.

tfw tranny and been using openbsd for over 5 years :^)

Attached: 1517905819347.jpg (3526x2507, 1.12M)

>install imagirl.rd
>upgrade fails
>cat /dev/helium | /dev/lungs

Attached: muhnips.png (354x528, 205K)

>Now we have some kind of versioned fs,
we really don't, which is retarded in the era of multi-TB hard drives

>Bloat was an issue in the 70's when the pdp used to develop the first versions of UNIX didn't have the memory to implement a proper compiler for C.
bloat remains an issue when a modern OS on a multi-GHz CPU takes several seconds to respond to something

>Windows stores configuration in a centralized registry. If unix did this, your home folder wouldn't need to be filled with dotfiles. By the way, ls not listing them is actually a bug resulting from a hotfix that hides . and .. from the output.
Windows used .ini files for configuration for years. Modern programs on Linux use $HOME/.config/ to store their configuration instead of littering $HOME, although there's a few retarded holdouts.
The Windows registry has its own laundry list of retarded issues, and there's a bunch of Windows programs that can't decide whether to put things in the registry, %AppData% or %homepath%\Documents\NameOfProgram Settings\, that's not really an OS-level issue.
file hiding on Linux is a hack that got used, but it's not a particularly bad one

>In plan 9 /dev/screen is a framebuffer you can use to take screenshots from in a pipeline. In linux wlp16s0 is not a file.
like, I was able to do cat /dev/fb0 > out.bin and convert that to a picture on my machine to get a screenshot

oh look it's another unix critic who has no meaningful contribution to any OS core.