Codemonkey at work all day

>codemonkey at work all day
>zero motivation to work on personal projects at home anymore

Attached: 1560419374889.png (1200x880, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mypy-lang.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>not even a programmer
>at home for two years
>haven't made a single project

I enjoyed programming. Then I went to college to study it and got a job doing it. Those made me hate programming.

Sysadmin here, I can relate.
I miss back when I was a student, tweaking my shit all day. Now it feel like working at home.

This is why I've never really considered a job as a "programmer".
>enjoy programming as a hobby
>get a job in technical writing
>no requirement to program, but able to create tools to automate certain parts of our workflow
>still enjoy programming as a hobby

I kinda envy you
>follow CS education
>give up after 2 years
>no degree, internship dropped, all of the debt

How the fuck do I get into system administration? I've been setting up a homeserver and getting used to the Linux terminal, I'd love doing this fulltime instead of debugging #220388 pajeet certified Java project

This. Only in my case Uni killed all love I once had. Dropping out right now cause I got a very good job offer because networking. I expect to burn out by 30.

Try doing stuff at home that you wouldn’t be able to do at work, like making a cute WM rice, or using different daemons for protocols than your work uses. Doing that can keep things fresh and also open up learning opportunities about things you wouldn’t be exposed to in the corporate environment.

I don't get it, why did you give up on the degree? CS has very easy courses.

> not working on personal projects at work
you're doing this programming job thing incorrectly

CS=Cis-gendered Studies

>started with C++
>never did personal projects because i'm an uncreative faggot
>get a job writing C++ for robots
>fucking love it
its an abstract kind of feel

Certain focus-related diagnoses that majorly heightened my productivity as well as disinterest in the cringingly bad set up courses

In hindsight the degree might've been a whiff but I'm too busy studying for actually interesting certs left and right

Motivation is a meme, if you wait until you're motivated/inspired you'll never make it. You have to push yourself through even when you don't want to if you want to get anywhere.
Discipline > Motivation

I see. Well good luck.

Also to add, it all begins with organization. Set a schedule, put aside a few hours everyday to focus on whatever project you want to do, and stick to that schedule. The same way with going to the gym or learning any skill, as long as your consistent with doing it, you will make progress and soon you'll find it easier and easier to commit yourself. The beginning is always the hardest part, but that's even more reason to start as soon as possible. So why are you still sitting around, user?

Who cares? This isn't a thing in literally any other field. Just collect the six figure paycheck and spend your free time on real hobbies.

>Write software all day at work.
>Write software all night at home.
>personal project bring in 4K/mo
>work pays me 12k/mo

Feels Goodman.

This discipline meme is annoying and forced. Sure, you need willpower to execute your plan, but figuring out the reason you are doing anything (no matter how small) is also important. OP, you do not need a lofty motivation, but it needs to be something you can invest yourself in rather than mindlessly grinding because it seems like a good idea.

Dabbling in other things besides programming can also serve to inspire a novel idea you would like to try out earnestly. Pick up a book. Watch sci-fi films/television. Chill out.

>friend has computer troubles
>have worked all week
>instantly go into work mode, start troubleshooting the issues, then tell her "nevermind, this feels so much like work that I feel like I'm about to burn out"
At least I got understanding friends.

Making your hobby your profession is dangerous as fuck. On the one hand, I have much more understanding of my craft now, on the other I have lost control over it.

At least embedded programming is still far removed from my work. At work I use VBA and bash, not C. Getting away from the abstractions is comfy.

Choose a field of programming that isn't related to your job at all.

For instance I work as a web dev to pay the bills and fuck around with embedded/microcontrollers on the side as a hobby.

It wasn't that I hated programming, I just hated web development.

it has destroyed any interest i had. the only things i do at home now are bug fixes for projects i started in school, while i still had enthusiasm

I have the opposite problem.
We work with python and javascript.
And people have obsession on simplicity to the point of having no abstractions.

Primitive types hell.
Fuck these people, they only use lists and dicts.
Things are copy pasted all over the place.
I've not seen any class in any of the codebases.
The only classes there are are unittest collections.
Products break all the time (tests are shitty too).
I despise every day and its hard even getting up for me.
I'm working there for about half year, but it's my first job so I can't leave that fast.
I plan to keep it for not more than other half a year, looking for an escape route right now.

You need a better personal project.
One that you can’t resist.
What’s the one thing you always wanted to make, but never actually started on?

don't let out the secret, user. Let them squabble over programming wageslave jobs and keep the sysadmin and other technical roles for ourselves.

That's not obsession with simplicity, just laziness to do any kind of sensible design and general incompetence. Basically Pajeet tier coding. Got a lot of these cunts in my workplace as well.

>no idea what I'd ever want work on outside of work
>end up working on work-related stuff at home

go to the gym,eat and sleep better
stop being low energy

Attached: 1563555109639.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

Reminds me of a rushjob I recently did, where I had about twenty SQL strings that I had to correctly adjust whenever I was making a change. I was consciously disregarding best practices to speed myself up, but ended up constantly creating bugs and having trouble comprehending my own code. The mental overhead was just too much.
So I spent a single day on refactoring the code and doing proper functions. Suddenly, my development pace was more than triple. Features that required thought beforehand now basically wrote themselves.

Basically, pajeets work hard, not smart. The white man writes abstractions.

Since you have no time to contribute to free software I suppose you are donating the majority of that 4k to libre projects.

>eat and sleep better
I wish this were actually easy. I'm so tired of being tired.

>be lead dev
>program hard every day on at least 4-6 different projects
>come home exhausted only wanting to play some vidya/watch moe anime, drink beer and go to bed.

At least my job involves learning a shitton of new languages/libraries/frameworks all the time so I'm not getting behind the curve, but man, I really miss just grinding code and still having mental capacity at the end of the day to program for fun.

more years of experience -> less programming you should do

>going to sleep earlier and buying good stuff instead of shit is hard

Attached: unnamed.jpg (975x1217, 253K)

I hope so, but I have just 3 yrs experience. Startups are a bit different in this regard, the rate of progression is just brutal.

desu I just hope we get acqui-hired by some big corp and I can just get a more relaxed job.

You would need to be well off to do so, if I'm too busy working and barely making ends along with dealing with classes, I don't exactly have the choice to sleep in or eat healthier.

I kind of in the opposite boat. Most of my coworkers are retarded and awful at programming. Having to work on their code base is a nightmare. It has killed my motivation at work. I spend a lot of my free time learning new programming languages or working on non work projects. I'm learning Rust right now and as someone who likes C, it is pretty comfy. Pretty soon I'll have the change to refactor our HTTP layer and do it right. However, I'll still be limited by our retarded API spec.

thats called being normal user

Find less taxing hobbies or work less. You can't have it both ways, especially as you grow up. The fatigue will kill you.

Are you me? Using Python on a large project with other developers that isn't developing a very focused application like a RESTful API server or CRUD app is living hell because of Python's dynamic type system. My coworkers abuse the hell out of Python built-in collection data types. They have shit like lists of tuples of dictionaries of sets of dictionaries. They really love over using dictionaries. It also doesn't help that they don't document anything or unit test anything. It has killed any love I had for Python.

literally same. i spend a quarter of my time at job thinking of programming projects, come home and cant anymore

>Suddenly, my development pace was more than triple.
Now imagine how much multiple people writing shit code over the years slows you down.

Attached: 1388599106104.jpg (569x571, 234K)

>They have shit like lists of tuples of dictionaries of sets of dictionaries. They really love over using dictionaries
When you see shit like this, quit the job. Not fucking worth it, any change you make to the codebase is a nuclear bomb about to go off.

Attached: Cs3ksFtXYAAPhIt.jpg:large.jpg (709x797, 38K)

I am somewhat close to considering it. I get random recruiters reaching out to me all the time, including Amazon and other big tech companies. The only problem, is most of the jobs are for places I don't want to live in. I've also spoken with a former coworker who took a Fintech job out in SF, and he tells me the talent actually turned out worse there than non tech centers because it attracts every Tom, Dick, and Harry that took a boot camp and knows how to brute force some JavaScript and React together. I'm afraid I'd just wind up in a similar situation but without the flexibility my current job offers.

>But but user! Those shitty practices lead to developer productivity!!
>Never mind slow it makes the product or how many bugs it creates or how much of a fucking pain in the ass it make it to change anything.

Have you guys tried pushing mypy for future development? mypy-lang.org/

While that looks nice, it doesn't seem like it has great support for Python 2.7, which is what we are stuck on at work while we desperately try and upgrade to Python 3.7 before its end of life support. Honestly, I think Python 3 provides most of the facilities, like Type Hints and Data Classes, that would make something like MyPy redundant. I honestly fucking hate dynamic typing and think it is a horrible choice for anything that is going to be more than 1000 lines of code. Thanks for the suggestion.

There were a lot of courses that were difficult when I went through. Plus the real engineering courses (not "computer engineering") like engineering math had a ton of casualties. Programming for classes was a lot of fun for me because you can stretch your creativity. Here is a task, finished however you want.
Corporate programming otoh killed all the joy

half the courses I had were object oriented meme courses. even if its easy you can't study that zoo of shit if its boring. I did maths instead.

I remember Engineering Physics I and II + Statics, Dynamics and Fluids made about 3/4 of my incoming class into Liberal Arts majors

That was pretty much my experience too when I studied electrical engineering. Looking at the number of casualties between our incoming class and how many actually graduated, it looked like we stormed Normandy or some shit. It felt like a good 3/5 of the class changed majors by the time we graduated.

>tfw calc2 is making me consider dropping out
Oh shit, the memes were real, I'm not going to make it.

Attached: 1482718733023.png (524x479, 365K)

Mypy is intended to extend Python3's built in type annotations. I use it as a replacement for flake8 to highlight type errors as I am writing. Guido is also part of the project, so I expect the tool to get rolled into the language eventually.

Same happened to me, my college transcript reads like a tragedy

Zero motivation or energy? I have motivation after my code monkeying, but I'm very, very tired and just don't have the psychic energy to do it. Anyone in the same boat? How do you deal with after work fatigue?

I've actually poured thousands of hours into open source libs that I use.

Do you mind discussing your personal project? I'm genuinely interested of what sort of traffic is needed for that income. Also, what is your programming stack?

Drink coffee/redbull or take stimulants.

It’s a saas platform for customer engagement serving about 3000 clients running on a server rack in my basement so overhead is low. Most pay 10$ a month, some a bit more. It’s an angular app running on a microservice backend and a mariadb database with offsite backups. It does the little feedback tabs on websites as well.

Stack is mostly a php api with other microservices running in either php, node, or go depending on what sort of throughput is necessary. The main api can handle about 500 req/s, the microservices, several times that.

You need a hobby besides programming.
Only nerds without a real life programming at work and at home.

Very cool. I expected that, since it's impossible to make that sort of income from advertisements.
Awesome. Your application definitely doesn't need any upgrading anytime soon. I bet you would be able to sell it for a good hunk of change if you're ever tired of working on it.

>since it's impossible to make that sort of income from advertisements.
no it isn't

Take a multivite and count your calories at the least

There are uses for incredibly nested data structures, but it can hurt the brain. What makes it worse if trying to write operations that transform the representation of such complex data structures. But if that's your data, that's your data. Data structure are mostly figured out now.

It could be worse. We have a tool automation program inhouse that was written in Python. It was simply illconcieved from the start. There is a huge nested configuration structure that is built by the application in pieces and multiple parts of the application use or modify pieces without any clear indication within a section of code what pieces its touching or why. All the while the program modifies the environment starting up support programs at different times with no clear indication what environment variables are being used.

Their solution to automating our tools was "Just throw it all into a big fucking bucket, and if someone needs the bucket to do something, the smart people will implement it."

Completely relatable, same here, user. :( Stay strong, I wish you all the best

It really is since CPM is ridiculously low.

That's par for the course when your hobby becomes your job.

things also break when requirements change and you need to undo your abstractions and long inheritance chains

>ZERO motivation to self teach programming
>About to go into a Master degree in CS
>did a B.A. in Social studies with only 2 cs courses (algorythms / computer architecture)
>some motivation into finishing master

How fucked am I?

Attached: 42835494_2228028324135164_1090785229188104192_o.jpg (1200x905, 95K)

nah there are tons of ad providers
some dude last week launched a photoshop in the browser. the ads guys paid him $5 dolars per 1000 views and he got 3million people = 15K in that month

That's the point. You're not supposed to have enough energy left after working to make a possible competing product.

You’d need a fucking absurdly popular blog to get that much money from clicks.

Don't you have weekends off user? Or hell, go to a coffee shop, get yourself a nice drink, get cozy and start programming. Just pretend the homeless people aren't there.

Attached: aiportraits_1563497760.jpg (512x512, 13K)

rice, vegetables and eggs are far cheaper than any shitty feezer/junk food

Attached: 75495767_p1.jpg (867x992, 140K)

>You’d need a fucking absurdly popular blog
you just need a website that runs desktop software

e.g. website like photoshop to edit images, music, games etc. then people will flock to use your website instead of installing any shit in their computers

That's not legal. There's almost zero chance a single person could program software like that without violating some license.

Same here but 6 years.

It is not so much that they are nested that bothers me. The problem is Python's dynamic type system. This means there is no declaration for these data structures. They are pretty much made on the file. If they were defined as say classes or a structs as a type def like in C for example, then you could easily understand what the data structure is supposed to be. With out this type declaration, it is almost impossible for anyone else besides whoever wrote it to understand what the data structure is supposed to be. It is fucking infuriating having to grind through that shit with no documentation and having your dip shit coworkers who wrote it having zero understanding or empathy of why their code is shit to work with like the fucking assholes they are. I swear, working as a software developer has made me hate the vast majority of other software developers.

Attached: 1552214351094.png (411x410, 212K)

Just fucking Christ that sounds like shit. It reminds me of one of our garbage libraries that was implemented before I started working there. They basically threw everything that was used across all projects into one fucking massive library, regardless if they had anything to do with each other. So in effect, we have a HUGE Python library used across multiple projects that contains all sorts of shit that is completely unrelated to each other. To make matters worse, it is all in Python so it ended up having a shit ton of dependencies that are massive. This means if you want to use one part of the library, you have to have all of the libraries' dependencies, even those parts you are not using. When you try to Dockerize a project using this library, it ends up being at least a couple of gigs.

>$4k month personal project
Are you selling crack or something? How is $4k even possible with a personal project?

You are a hero and I want to be like you some day.

I think dynamic typing is comfy ;__;

I quit job today. I have company. Need artist. Female

>mfw programming as a job and a hobby making $120k/year

Attached: cashplease.jpg (750x500, 87K)

I make $20k/year

what do you guys do for money? I'm about to quit my job as a lowly manual QA tester because the company sucks and have no intentions on advancing it's technology stack. any advice?

technolo/g/y should be your passion, not your most hated work, Jow Forums user
quit

Personal means that I wrote the app and I’m a sole proprietor.

This. I can’t wait to go to work in the morning, and I dread weekends.

no-work days suuuuuck

nice quads laborer

Work on personal projects at work then :^)

You don't realize how troublesome it is until you work on a large project with other developers or on a project that has a shit ton of data structures. Plus, it you want your code to really be bomb proof you have to add a fuck load of boilerplate code just to do type checking.

>wage slave
>you're here forever

Same here.
I'm fearful that it's over for me.

>job is only tangentially related to my interests
>close enough to stay focused but distant enough not to burn out
Feels great. Hardwarechads dab on codemonkeys.

> code deduplication causes more bugs
???
he's just talking about pulling shit out into functions, not reworking it into the leaning tower of OOP abstractions

Why are you imposing an arbitrary limit (and an extremely low one at that) to "personal projects"? Pretty much any business started as a personal project.
There's no limit. You can make 10k, or even 100k a month, depending on how successful your idea is, luck, timing, trends, etc.