/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOP, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: IMG_20190530_142005-740x555.jpg (740x555, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/WKhKyX
reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/8xn4ps/evga_g3_650_literally_exploded/
forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-evga-g3-failing-on-me-help-please-driving-me-crazy.3063902/
pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/287266-issues-with-the-evga-g3-severe-issues-with-protections
linustechtips.com/main/topic/944852-dont-buy-the-g3/
youtube.com/watch?v=hmhBgLSIneQ&t=12m56s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Asrock > Gigabyte

LEGOS

>Don't use Speccy
why

Is my CPU overclocked?
I'm running a 2600 on an A320 board which isn't capable of overclocking, yet I'm getting this frequency apparently?

Kind of a brainlet so don't understand why it says 3.7 instead of capping at 3.4

Attached: Taskmgr_1SDfjcKWJ4.png (660x541, 34K)

its 3.4 base and boodts to 4.1

whats a good itx and matx case with great airflow?

2600 boosts up to 3.9 by itself. So what you are seeing there is probably all core boost or something. It's not limited to the mobo used.

Those shoebox itx cases with holes on all sides like the SG series and the Fractal nodes. Dont get an itx case with tempered glass panels you'll just cook your parts faster unless you want to make a complete water loop.

Is an z390 aorus pro enough to overclock a 9700kf to 5ghz or even 5.1ghz if I get a miracle chip?

ANUS > Niggabyte > Asscock

spyware

Are Corsair PSU's that bad compared to EVGA? And is 650W overkill for a system where PCPartPicker is saying the estimated wattage is 385W?

This right here. Any case that has the gpu pressed up against a (vented) side panel should do fine.

how do you guys keep track of all the differend gpus and cpus models available and how they compete with each other?
i need to build a new pc, but everything seem so unnecessarily confusing.
there are like a dozen different variations of the same gpu model and the only thing that is different seems to be the price tag and then there are titan version and newer models
how do get about ahold of everything and which is better than which
for example i have around 600 buck for gpu, so how do i find what would be the best longtime purchase?
do i get 2060 rtx or pay more for the 2070?
the price is somewhat similar, but how big is the difference between the two?
while the price difference between the 2070 and 2080 is nearly 50% and 2070 to 2080ti is more than double
is it worth paying more for 2080 instead of 2070 or if im gonna get something better than 2070 rtx i should wait and go straight for the 2080ti?
and then there are all the quadro card that i dont even fucking know how do they compete with everything and how to even begin to start comparing them

>logicalincrements.com/

Dunno why it isn't in OP.

MSHIT>ANUS>Asscock>>>>>Niggabyte

The blog sucks cocks and is still behind the times, ie they're still recommending samsung SSDs.
Also you're replying to a copypasta from the luddite thread from yesterday.

You don't need a miracle chip for that, and yes, aorus pro has excellent vrm.

You should aim for your PSU to be about 50% loaded. That's where PSUs are most efficient. Also gives headroom for overclocking.

If you're looking at that PSU tier list, disregard the huge number of 650w PSUs in the top tiers. It's because they made a dumb rule that "single rail" PSUs can't be above 650w. There is no real reason for this, they didn't understand how rails work in PSUs - most "single rail" psus are double rail in the way that matters, and sub-650w PSU can still burn just like over-650w ones (but no PSU higher than a $5 chinese mistake ever gets to that point)

Seasonic=EVGA G2>any other EVGA>Corsair

>You don't need a miracle chip for that, and yes, aorus pro has excellent vrm.
Alright, thanks.

x60 if its the best card you can afford, x70 is top value and x80(ti) to flex on poorfags
same as last gen and the one before

I'll check out Seasonic then

>my a320 board supports up to 3400 with BIOS update but not 3600
Oh well, I'm good with my 2600.

why would you get a 3600 if you have a 320 board though retard, do you even know what vram is?

Why does the 3200G not have SMT? Why does the 3400G only have 4 cores?

go for focus plus gold
best bang for buck and top of the line quality
the thing with corsair and evga is that they don't produce their own PSU, they contract parts to other companies like seasonic and superflower and just slap a evga/corsair sticker and charge you more
the reason why i said evga G2 is on par with seasonic is because only this model is made by a reputable OEM (in this case superflower who is as good a seasonic)

vram stands for very fast ram

Also doesn't read anything new anymore.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WKhKyX
SOON. GO POSTMAN GO

Where's the Nvidia® RTX™ 2080 Ti and the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K?

Fuck newegg

That is all.

Attached: Screenshot_20190722-094625_Newegg.jpg (650x772, 115K)

Why go for a vega 56 at that price point instead of an rx 5700?

If the 3200G had SMT the 3400G would be irrelevant except for its better graphics. If the 3400G had more than 4 cores it would cut into the sales/strict segmentation of Ryzen 5. Should AMD implement 3 chiplets and/or 3/4-way SMT that the 3200G could receive SMT and the 3400G receive six cores, although I'm spitballing. Either way, there will always be an obvious deficit present in the G series to restrict staggered sales of other Ryzen sales.

I'd absolutely get a 2080ti if I had the cash. I'll skip the housefire polygon, though. Waaay overkill for my purposes.

kek meant vrm not vram

Have fun with your new build user

bought it a month before 5700, back when it still looked like price/perf king for my budget. I may upgrade to 5700 if the aib cards aren't too much more expensive
thanks. I am very excited; I have not had a real gaming computer in almost a year

Nah, it stands for Vidya DRAM.

not a pasta, dunno what you mean
>ie they're still recommending samsung SSDs.
whats wrong with samsung ssds?

>x60 if its the best card you can afford, x70 is top value

2060 is the best i can afford in my current budget, but 2070 is currently the most valuable on the market?
so i should wait a bit and go for the 2070?
what about 2080 non ti, are the differences to 2070 too little to be worth the extra money?

Super flower PSUs aren't seasonic-tier

On paper they are, but their failure rate is higher

any graphs?

I want to upgrade my PC to the following parts and would like to hear a last opinion on them before I order them:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU-Fan: Alpenföhn Brocken 3 (already own that)
GPU: AMD RX 5700 XT
Mainboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM: G.Skill Aegis DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3000
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W
SSD: Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB
Case: Fractal Define R5 (already own that)

Not him but what about Bitfenix Whisper line? Those got rave reviews.

Super flower PSUs shitting the bed:

reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/8xn4ps/evga_g3_650_literally_exploded/

forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-evga-g3-failing-on-me-help-please-driving-me-crazy.3063902/

pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/287266-issues-with-the-evga-g3-severe-issues-with-protections

linustechtips.com/main/topic/944852-dont-buy-the-g3/

2070/S is the 'best value' for money; it delivers more than the 2060/S but isn't ridiculous-tier like the *80series. get it if you can afford it, it's a significant upgrade from 2060 without having to sell a kidney
for the 5700XT, you either want a custom cooler or wait for 3rdparty versions. that card is too high-power for sane blower use
B450 BIOS is a little shakey right now, be prepared for it to not work immediately (or for weeks until it's fixed)
consider slightly faster RAM, at least 3200
idk about corsair SSDs
gud case

>2-3 day shipping
>Forgot to mention it takes them an extra 2-3 days to actually ship it

I agree, fuck Newegg - I got a 3600 because Amazon is price gouging and charging over MSRP but christ it's been for fucking ever since I had to wait so long for parts.

I'm currently on the RX 580 with my r5-3600. I'm interested in a gpu upgrade that would maximize performance but not not bottleneck my CPU. I think the RX 5700 with an AIB cooler a year from now where it can be gotten used for $200 would be good.

haven't heard a lot about them so i'd rather not give you inaccurate opinions
sorry

3700x with 32gb 3200 ram or 3900x with 16gb 3200 ram?

>G3
it's evga's fault of cheaping out on the fan
the G2 doesn't have such issues

if gaymen 3700 or even 3600 with 16 gb
if production 3900 with 32gb

The protections problem has nothing to do with EVGA or a fan.

3200 cl16 or 3000 cl15 for ram for new ryzens

one of my monitors, a VP228HE, is getting flickers, like the picture is coming off for two seconds and then it comes back, it does that a few times per day
the sound also came off when I was using monitor speakers
my second monitor doesn't do it
changing the HDMI cable fixed it temporarily but it started doing it yet again
what could it be? condensators? the monitor's HDMI, or maybe my GPU's HDMI? I could send the monitor back but I really can't be assed and I don't really like it that much anyway

MSI or Asus

What this guy said:
Though I disagree about the ram. going from 3000 to 3200 is not that big of a bump, unless that kit has particularly shit timings.

I've never understood this and have had no luck trying to search for specific answers.

If I have 16 PCI-e lanes for my PCI-e slots (real example here; 24 lanes, 4 to the chipset, 4 to an m.2 slot, 16 spare), and I plug something into one of the x1 slots, how does that not force my GPU to run at x8? There are no spare lanes left for the x1 slot?

Anyone have any experience with these thermal pads? The reviews look good and it seems like it might be good for ryzen since the chiplets aren't centered, but I've never used anything like it before

Attached: 81eKoHyCiHL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 361K)

You remember the good 'ol days of RRoD on 360s and YLoD on PS3s? That was a combination of using these pieces of crap and soldered pins. Some pc builders with those consoles actually opened them up to put proper thermal paste on.

It's shit. Thermal paste is there to eliminate air gaps between cpu and heatspreader, a fucking rigid mesh multiply them.

>mobo MSRP 300$
>eu retailers sell them for 380€
Alah bless Europistan!

>Taxes dumb! Give stuff free!

would 650W be enough for 3700x, 2 SSDs anda RTX 2080? My local hardware store says it's definitely not enough when I was ordering it

Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut is the superior option!

paste is superior option to either of them.

Your local hardware store is lying and wants to sell you a more expensive PSU.
That is unless they are selling you a real piece of shit PSU, in which case they aren't lying but still want to sell you a more expensive PSU.

What's a good alternative for temps?

I game 1080p @ 144hz, have a 1080ti you but currently only a r5 1600 CPU. What new CPU should I snag for ultra gaming and still push 144hz? People suggest the 8600k, but I'd like to stick to am4 Mobo if I can. Thanks fellas

Thanks, was going for a seasonic - prime snow silent 650w . Going ahead with the order

I'm recommend going striahgt to the 5700xt if you're going to bother upgrading. Just save a little longer.

Sorry bro. You're going to need an Intel.

No because the MSI Bios ain't better than the Asus Bios. The godlike is a better board so is the creation beyond that no.
>mfw everyone jizzing about the ace but it only has 4 sata ports

asus is only good on high tier tho

3600 will get you most of the way there, big upgrade single-core from a 1600, but getting 'real' 144hz means esports lowsettings kinda thing regardless of CPU/GPU

is it true that removing the cooler from a PGA basically means rippong of the cpu from it's socket ? How do I avoid this nightmare ?

am considering the 9400f but 2600 has twice the threads yet doesn't seem to shine all that much in gaming
which one should i go for and what am i missing on with only 6threads instead of 12
planning to gayme mainly and web browsing

I got 3 new PWM fans because my current ones are equally noisy and shit chinesium. Problem is my current dogshit motherboard has a PWM header for the CPU and one other for a system fan. Would it work to get the 12volt from the PSU and spit out the PWM pin to all the fans, while only using a sense pin on 1 fan only? Pic related

Attached: Fan plan.png (1254x1527, 131K)

For gaming, intel, for unzipping files, AMD

Anyone got some suggestions for a decent screwdriver with magnetic tip, and a tray to keep all my screws in place?

Starting to think that, thanks!
I've been eyeing the 3600, I feel like I need to wait a bit longer for some good reviews to come out. Thanks

I'd get the 2600 now and upgrade it later with a better (used) 3000 series.

What brand should I go with for a good 2 - 4tb hdd?

Once every five years I rise from my tomb of ignorance, spend 2 or 3 months learning about the current parts and just relearning computer building in general before making a single massive purchase, constructing my rig and then taking it back with me to my undead kingdom of mindless gaming until my fps gets too low and I have to do it again.

>Putting first PC together yesterday
>Put CPU in no issues
>Get ready to put after market cooler on
>Forgot it has raisers because I am dumb as shit and put it directly on my CPU wondering why the screws wont reach
>Only realize a bit later it has risers
>End up bending my Mobo PINs

I guess lesson learned, new one will be here tomorrow. At least the cpu is fine

what about the 6 thread cucking tho?
i'm coming from an old i7 4c/8t and really don't want to pay for any lesser functionality
the price per fps seems favorable but i'm still on the fence because i'm willing to add 20-30$ for 10% more fps

Combined with which GPU?

Many people say MSI's BIOS is better tho

The 9400f is better for going than the 2600 in most games. In some it chokes because only 6 cores vs 6c12t so you'll get FPS stutter. Keep in mind the 9400f has no iGPU so you'll need a dGPU no matter what. All in all the 9400f isn't terrible as you can get away with a dirt cheap motherboard since you're not overclocking, and then even cheaper 2666MHz memory (I've seen 16GB kits for as cheap as $56). Where as with any of the AMD chips, they need faster/tighter RAM to really wake up.

t. user who had an i7-6700k with 2400MHz RAM and now has a Ryzen R7-3700X with 3600MHz RAM.

i'm considering upgrading to 2070s or 5700xt

Watch step by step videos for everything, I have built a load of PC's and I still do it because its easy to forget. Things like CPU coolers watch a specific installation for those.

Attached: 1563560027402.png (600x600, 640K)

in which way?

On absolute top tier stupid price motherboards maybe. It's like people saying Gigabyte has the BEST VRMs. Truth is that's only on super premium boards and MSI/Gigabyte BIOS are a clusterfuck. Asus has decent to high end VRMs on 90% of their boards and a coherent BIOS.

RAM is getting more and more expensive each day. What is happening bros, I thought the suffering was finally over

Attached: 1528768764626.jpg (1599x999, 231K)

So I am upgrading from a i5 4690 to a modern CPU.

How much of an increase in performance will I see if I grab a 3700x/9700k?

What? I'm seeing 3200MHz 2x8GB kits for around $65-$80. What's inexpensive to you?

>Keep in mind the 9400f has no iGPU so you'll need a dGPU no matter what
yeah got that covered
>All in all the 9400f isn't terrible as you can get away with a dirt cheap motherboard since you're not overclocking
ah yes i forgot about that aspect, would an OC'd 2600 close the fps gap with a 9400f?
>they need faster/tighter RAM to really wake up.
is 3200 cl 16 good enough or should i look for r5 3600 to get rid of the ram issues?

Seems to me the difference is negligible in games. I'd favor the 2600 due to upgrade possibilities and the possibility of better performance outside of games.

youtube.com/watch?v=hmhBgLSIneQ&t=12m56s

Why did hbm2 memory on gpus turn out to be a meme?