C

Will really going deep into C provide any benefits over easier languages like python and the like?
What is Jow Forumss experience? I already know matlab if that makes a difference

Attached: DC57072C-589C-4B80-AE9A-F1CB88AFFE63.png (680x636, 272K)

yes

it will make you a better programmer

by "it" i meant lisp, not c

Elaborate

no

Python an C both have various advantages over each other so both would be beneficial and you should in fact learn both along the way. Which one to start depends on what problems you're trying to solve right now.
That being said, since it's not your first language, I recommend going with C first.

C is not a complex language. But you will probably pick up some things about computer architecture along the way I guess.

No. If anything, it will fry your brain.
Avoid it whenever possible.

>c is how computers work

spending at least some time with C, assembly, and lisp is useful experience, even if you don't program in them often

> benefits?
Not for you, since you have to ask.

R u s t
u
s
t

no, because solving interesting problems has nothing to do with language. You want to solve problems with language that is is as easy as possible like Python and only then thinking what other languages could bring to the table

I highly recommend C if you want to know how stuff behind the scenes work.
Python (and other languages) hide and abstract the interesting bits from you, C doesn't do that, C works the way a CPU works, in fact, some people consider it to be Assembly but easier.

begone vile gay! back whence you came!

Attached: shilling-rust.png (357x500, 77K)

This is what I suspected but there’s too many memes to know for sure. Thanks user

Benefits for what? What do you even want to do? If you're going to be a programmer you'll eventually want to learn very low-level stuff anyway, not even C, I'm talking assembly (e.g. RISC-V), how things work at the microprocessor level.
Other than that, learn what you're going to use. Web dev? Learn JS. Machine learning, AI? Learn Python. If you're unsure, just look at job openings and pick the most requested language. Stop falling for memes such "you must start with C", or Lisp, or Rust or what have you, it doesn't fucking matter.

I want to program more as a hobby, and there are a few desktop applications I wanted to try making (video player that can integrate EPWING files, for instance) so I thought C might be the better option as it apparently teaches you more about how things actually work.

Just pick Java or C#

If you want to make a video player then C is definitely a good choice, because it compiles to machine code. You need the video player to be as efficient and effective as possible, because it'll do many stuff (like decoding).
Higher level languages will cause a lot of overhead.

>desktop applications
Just go with Java.
In general you learn C if you want to do *nix hacking or embedded stuff. If you want to learn computer architecture then take some time and learn it the right way, passively programming in C won't teach you how computers work, as has been said above.

>C might be the better option as it apparently teaches you more about how things actually work.
lmao

>desktop applications
>Java
K
lel.
Most desktop applications (games, web browsers, video players) are written in C++.

Whats C used for anymore?

Sure. C is the backbone of most things, languages, databases, operating systems, etc. Having a good understanding of C will allow you the ability to always drop down from a higher level language and write an optimized module that you can call straight from python/redis/postgres/etc.

Also good knowledge of C will help you with embedded programming if you ever get into that.

Kids who think they are saving the world just by using it.

Everything around you.
The device that you used to write this has a C kernel, its browser uses many C libraries, the ISP that's serving you internet is operating using applications written in C, the site that you wrote this on is using a web server written in C that served you this page.
The infrastructure of the government that's providing you with services and protection is written in C.

>Most desktop applications
>games, web browsers, video players

Attached: 11df3f.jpg (588x823, 39K)

>easier languages like python and the like
In the real world, you'll find that these languages are a mistake. Code should be in the lowest-level language possible while still being portable, so C should be the highest-level language you write.

>Code should be in the lowest-level language possible while still being portable
[citation needed]

Just read the 2nd edition C programming manual and follow along, do all the exercises.
You will literally see your brown skin melt off and turn white.

Lower-level code is faster.

Nonsense. Define "low-level code". The only code that is actually "run" is machine code, and if your language implementation can generate good enough machine code, the language is fine to use, no matter how high level it may be.

Is speed of execution the be-all-end-all of programming? What if I just want to slap together a script for downloading files from a server, why spend all the time managing memory allocation and connection state when I don't even care how long the code takes to execute and just want it to werk?

>Will really going deep into C provide any benefits over easier languages like python and the like?

C is the SIMPLEST language there is and you're only limited by by your own lack of knowledge for the underlying platform.
Python is a scripting language that hides these details, for your own detriment if your objective is to learn, and also enables codemonkeys and scriptkiddies.
Know your technology and then learn Python/bash/ruby/etc to save yourself time.

>RUST
ROLF, you can't get more subhuman than this, maybe only with enterprise Java.

>scripting language
Retarded term that neckbeards use to define what is or isn't "real programming" according to their arbitrary definition.
And please stop spreading the meme that C teaches you anything, because it doesn't.

Learn Julia, or Python, or C++ if you want to write simulators.
C will teach you how to program for a PDP11, a computer which hasn't been relevant for decades.

powdering your skin does not make you white pajeet. now go back to writing my aeroplane for $9 and hour k