/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1563807682074.jpg (1000x1500, 387K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EncFS
michaelwashere.net/post/2018-11-28-enobdfl/
repology.org/repositories/graphs
wiki.termux.com/wiki/Remote_Access
kernel.org/doc/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install hurd

Based

install Jow Forumsuix
learn Jow Forumsuile

based

Best program to use with a drawtablet?
scribus?

emacs

There's an emacs mode compatible with drawtablets?

Forgive me RMS for I have been doubting

Attached: guixvsarch.png (500x849, 508K)

I found a way to start all shells in a new sessions.But i found i would create too many sessions and it would cause problems. Is there a way to have the tmux session close if the program that was run in that session stops doing anything?
if [[ $DISPLAY ]]; then
# If not running interactively, do not do anything
[[ $- != *i* ]] && return
[[ -z "$TMUX" ]] && exec tmux
fi

Hello, I'm trying to install gentoo and I'm confused as to which architecture I'm supposed to use? I'm using an i5 but the gentoo wiki page only lists an 32bit architecture suggested to be used with intel chips. I'm confused; why the fuck isn't there a 64bit install?

Attached: tzuyu_0087.jpg (540x675, 66K)

I have no idea what you're talking about. There is a 64bit version.

amd64 should be right for you

Perhaps you're confused by the term "amd64"? It's not just for amd chips or anything, that's the same download you want on intel.

is this a joke? I'm uninstalling this piece of garbage and never touching it again.

Attached: GENtileTOO.png (1172x267, 10K)

The world "offensive" has no meaning anymore.

I think you're confused.
Have you tried going outside for a bit?

Attached: p4anudtahn831.jpg (3413x2225, 1.02M)

Attached: 1558371943061.jpg (700x525, 89K)

Just look at that based logo birb. It's protecting the whole united world of america.

Attached: 1512689392441.gif (500x375, 175K)

What are some chilling console codes?

Attached: 1532645446404.jpg (601x601, 35K)

Should i put pop os on my little brothers computer? i want to guide him away from windows and stop being a brainlet

>last slackware release was three years ago

pop os is a meme distro whose only value lies in the fact that it perfectly supports the hardware system76 ships it on. there's not much point in using it if you don't have one of their systems. honestly if you're doing all the setup for him then the only thing to consider is the selection of software available for him to choose from without having to go outside the package manager

The world "meme" has no meaning anymore.

emacs --no-window-system --funcall doctor

$ shopt -s cdable_vars # Make variables cd-able.
$ code="$(mktemp -d)" # Set variable $code to a randomly generated directory in /tmp.
$ cd code # Start koding.

what is the recommended beginner distro in 2019?

Linux mint

nobody will ever think of linux as serious operating system when it doesn't provide the most basis features

Attached: 1563824357698.png (742x828, 151K)

You probably mean GNU/Linux, a variant of the GNU system which uses the Linux kernel.

Hey, I decided to install arch on my desktop, and I dug out an old HDD to use as an isolated environment just in case I accidentally'd my storage. I partitioned the boot, swapspace and main directory, mounted the main to /mnt and the boot to /mnt/boot, and generated file tables, locale, etc, then installed GRUB.

The install exists and I can reach it with arch-chroot once I mount it, but I can't boot into it from the BIOS, or device selection. Despite having a separate install from Win10, if I boot from ANY attached EFI hard disk, it goes right to windows, even if I boot from the HDD that is filesystem'd with arch.

I went with efibootmgr and created a efi boot entry for grubx64.efi, but it still won't boot anything but Windows, no matter what I select. What else could I do to fix this, other than ripping out winshit? Should I ditch GRUB and use another bootloader?

what's better, vanilla i3 or i3-gaps?

Attached: i3.png (2560x1024, 1.64M)

You need use os-prober to properly setup windows/linux bootloading

I used os-prober, but the install guide didn't really do anything with it. I assumed that GRUB uses the package, but if I do have to directly run some commands, what should I do with it?

to clarify, here's my fdisk -l
i have two seperate EFI locations on separate disks, one for windows on sda and one mounted to /boot/ for arch. Should they be amalgamated to one record, or is it fine to keep them separate?

Attached: IMG_20190722_162436.jpg (2123x3621, 2.13M)

>better
at what? appealing to your specific tastes?

how did you get a terminal to look normal on a portrait monitor

Is it worth it for me to learn to do LFS, and use that as my main "distro" for regular use?

its not portrait lol, it's just a cropped edge of a landscape oriented monitor.
Anyways, I wiped and started again. I think the main issue I'm getting is that despite having os-prober installed, grub-mkconfig won't detect a windows 10 install on /dev/sda1. I guess I'll prod around to see why

just found out that you have to mount the Windows EFI partition and run the mkconfig again to have it detect it, but where would I mount it to? I already have my Linux EFI partition mounted to /mnt/efi

Pill me on Weston.
Started studying display managers and came across interoperability between system.

So I ran gparted to reduce the size of my main linux partition, which completely fucked it up.

I managed to recover it, but why did this happen?

What's the difference between funtoo and gentoo? reading the distrowatch funtoo page, funtoo looks like gentoo but better(?)

It's definitively worth reading it. It's worth doing it, if you enjoy doing fun things. IMHO it would be too much work to use the result as daily driver.
Funtoo is made by the original Gentoo developer. AFAIK he wanted to do things that wouldn't be possible in Gentoo, but actually many things from Funtoo are used in Gentoo today as well.
GNU+Linux*

Is there a way to have an individual directory encrypted (in the sense that its contents are encrypted on disk and reads and writes and encrypted and decrypted on the fly)? I'm a lazy ass and don't want to figure out how to encrypt my whole partition.

Just tar.gz | gpg it?

>but actually many things from Funtoo are used in Gentoo today as well
oh ok, i'll still go with gentoo because i like their logo owo

>in the sense that its contents are encrypted on disk and reads and writes and encrypted and decrypted on the fly
anyway this
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EncFS
seems to do what I want

to anyone curious, I think I found the problem

after converting windows to UEFI, dicking around with cfgs and os-prober, I found that the efibootmgr boot record for GRUB isn't written properly, and disappears on reboot. Apparently, boards with Intel's Z77 chipset don't accept efibootmgr edits, and only look for windows bootmgr locations (thanks intel, you fucks). So, presumably I'd have to go into the EFI shell and copy grubx64.efi to bootx64.efi's location, but I want to see if I can get around this without fucking with microsoft boot partitions

Attached: 1563847359985.gif (500x390, 27K)

dumb windows user

>it's another episode of wifi no longer works after returning from sleep
t-thanks manjaro

>is Fedora user
>see 2 Kernel 5.2 packages were built two days ago
>they are still fucking "update candidates"
>while another 5.1.19 Kernel is under testing
>not to mention F30 is still stuck on Mesa 19.0
Should have installed OpenSuse Tumbleweed or even Manjaro as they already have the latest Kernel and Mesa packages ready.

Which kernel?

Why do you ask in such a way? I complain about Kernel for F30 being a little bit outdated.
5.2.1 and 5.2.2 are under the tags of f30-updates-candidates, but at today a 5.1.19 is now under f30-updates-testing, which means F30 users still have days being stuck at Kernel 5.1 series. Disappointing.

>Why do you ask in such a way?
he's doing the epic "linux is a kernel" meme

i need it for uni dev software and a few games

Ive narrowed my choices down to the following three
-void
-nix
-deepin

I read that void is dead, and deepin is apparently spyware and I know nothing about nix other than its reccomended to me a few times.

My ultimate goal is to have a system that uses wayland easily and runs davinci resolve (I couldnt get it running on arch). I'd ideally like everything to be up to date and have a fast rollout, unlike debian which even sid is fucking slow to do anything. Also a lack of nvidia issues would be nice. DE doesnt matter too much to me but I would like something that looks nice with minimal config.

If not these three I would like an alternative suggestion please. Thanks

>I read that void is dead
the guy who made the distro was missing for a year but it wasn't ever really "dead" since he didn't maintain it alone
there's a boring blog post in michaelwashere.net/post/2018-11-28-enobdfl/ if you like reading but it was written before he came back in january
repology.org/repositories/graphs (closer to top left = higher percentage of up-to-date packages, void still does well here)

wow that was a boring read. imagine wasting time writing all of that.
thanks for the graph, interesting to see that nix has the freshest packages

manjaro is fucking trash

install gentoo

Attached: 1444869381286.jpg (924x558, 89K)

Do you know that the majority of tech guys are fedora'd atheists? What are you even doing here?

>Funtoo is made by the original Gentoo developer
it also has a shitty logo
the man had mojo when he did gentoo's artworks, now he doesn't

gentoo, guix, nix, the list can go on

not really, you can't make a working distro-tier system with LFS unless you are a team of programmers whose intent is creating a distro. There's simply no such possibility for a lone enthusiast.

the turd kernel

Attached: roflmao.png (312x145, 89K)

Anyone knows what do i need to do in SculptOS? I want to try it but the virual box setup doesnt give me much info on what to do, really want to use it tho
Pic for attention

Attached: d25d093d8bc0361ed0312a896dad5bac.jpg (563x1020, 162K)

LibreBooty TwinkPad

is there a version with Torvalds?

>the last mandriva release was 8 years ago

well, actually you can, but only if you are some kind of a madman who can spend months and years working on your os alone

like it unironically seems like its good for my needs, but i really dont wanna waste time compiling and following a bunch of stuff. a simple installer is what i need

Did I just find a bug in gnu ls? Or some sort of locale implementation? Way too embarassed to post to a bugtracker due to my taste in manga
# printf '%s\n' *
魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第1話 邂逅.cbz
魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第1話 邂逅.cbz
魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第2話 対峙.cbz
魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第2話 対峙.cbz
# ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 8.31
# ls
'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第1'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第2話 対峙.cbz'
'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第1'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第2話 対峙.cbz'
# ls -w80
'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第1話 邂逅.cbz'
'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第1話 邂逅.cbz'
'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第2話 対峙.cbz'
'魔法科高校の劣等生 司波達也暗殺計画 第2話 対峙.cbz'

Turns out all widths 111+ are broken.

I want a launcher on panel for terminal in root mode
so it needs to run xfce4-terminal that gets piped pipe sudo -s that gets piped my password
how do I set that shit up?
I know I can do it differently, but I want to do it exactly this way, and I don't care about 'plaintext' and other reddit-tier paranoid shit

Attached: 1563128776755.jpg (388x443, 28K)

Turns out the issue was with conemu. Fuck I thought this was supposed to be better than sshing from powershell or mintty.

Mandriva kinda became Mageia.
You could have the launcher run "sudo xfce4-terminal" or "xfce4-terminal -e 'sudo -s'"

One more thing. If you don't care about security, you might as well allow your user to sudo without entering a password by editing your sudoers file.
I think that might actually be necessary for the first option I gave you.

How do I install libopencl on arch? is it fine to install opencl-nvidia? Is it the same thing?

I care about security in a sense that I don't want the browser and all the other shit to run as root. I don't care about lunatic scenarios where my computer is completely compromised by some mossad malware or fucking tom cruise mission impossible kind of motherfucker. if someone can go into my scripts folder and steal the root password from there, it's all fucking ogre already.

Could you please recommend a good general approach to stopping being a brainlet, getting good at linux and becoming a poweruser?

have sex

let's pray for the linux atheists and their gaylord leader torvalds

What's a good method of remote accessing my computer from either my Android phone or other Windows machines over the public network.

And SSH probably isn't an option given that I have no option of a static public IP

I'm afraid that once you do you lose all interest in linux whatsoever

>And SSH probably isn't an option given that I have no option of a static public IP
try noip.com

wiki.termux.com/wiki/Remote_Access

Thankfully that's not true
If anything it enhanced my interests because it removed the stigma of being a smelly virgin if I tinker with linux

Now I can fiddle with my system all I want and remain confident that I can maintain a social life

install distroo
use distroo
break distroo
fix distroo

Attached: 1560980728403.png (1024x576, 281K)

kernel.org/doc/

I'm behind a carrier grade NAT unfortunately. I tried DDNS services before with little success, I suppose I'm not adept enough yet to get it working.

Is there a reason you need to do this?
What are you trying to accomplish?

ayy i got davinci working on manjaro. for anyone that has issues with it in the future, you have to install clinfo in order for it to work.q

myself and my family is not religious at all, but we still enjoyed christmas for all the non-religious parts of it (family get-togethers, gifts, trees/lights, the whole snow theme despite living in an area that never snows, etc)
using 'christmas' as in 'christmas is coming early', is not necessarily a religious statement, it refers more to the gifting part of it
what i don't understand is why the people who demand these kinds of references be removed think their preference is more important than anybody elses. it's not like he said "god-fearing users will love the new wiki changes!" or something

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (480x288, 37K)

meant to quote

all jokes aside, does anybody actually use thumbnails in their file picker?

Well I recently finished an internship at a position where you have a work computer you can use during your free time and trust me, there's a lot of free time.

I've kinda been half-suggested-offered a position there after I finish my degree but that's besides the point.
A lot of the coworkers there teamviewer into their home machines and use the work computer to edit their photos remotely or do graphic work, stuff like that.

Since I do some of that as well, I figured it'd be neat.
Should I just use Teamviewer then?

yes, theyre useful when picking an image, say from a screenshot folder or a video with a reel name (like whos gonna know what A001_07161829_C003.braw is just looking at the name)

yes it's how I get the perfect reaction image for my posts

Attached: 1563871105562.jpg (570x779, 53K)

Yes for reasons

It'd be even nicer if I could have thumbnails on the RAW images from my camera like I do on Windows

Teamviewer does appear to work on linux so yeah. Occam's razor