Microsoft does it again

It's over, Microsoft just won the AI race.

openai.com/blog/microsoft/

Attached: wttw_1534188535.jpg (1140x570, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/news/2019/04/05/deepmind-and-google-the-battle-to-control-artificial-intelligence
linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6559114910486405120/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dunno what to think of this. Sure they need unprecedented computational power but making an exclusive deal with Microsoft seems to be the opposite of what the want to achieve.

>seems to be the opposite of what the want to achieve
How so? To be honest their intent was never to "open source" AI.

>ai

Dumb.

Based. But this time we have daddy musk on our side.

>AI race
I don't think so is a race
The endpoint is what? The singularity?

Self aware artificial intelligence
Why? Because we can (or can't)

AGI

ai gf

This might produce results or it might not, I know some people at ibm, they told me that ibm spent hundreds of millions on AI and in the end they had nothing to show for. A lot of lay offs and cost cutting afterwards...
I dont know, it seems this open ai team has produced some results, but they say they mainly need money for computers which is odd, have they figured out the code and algorithms already?
They speak about agi but so much computing power would imply ML

T A Y
A
Y

> Dumb money chasing dumb ideas and people
News at 11.

economist.com/news/2019/04/05/deepmind-and-google-the-battle-to-control-artificial-intelligence
Demis Hassibis is 100x more capable and staffed and even the reality of their internal struggles after capital investment read like a disaster.

Nothing is happening over at Openai w/ brockman and altman besides milking stupid people. They milked rubes on the idiotic 'doomsday ai' propaganda coined by elon scamartist musk as a non-profit. Now they're milking relics of the industry w/o an innovative bone in their body on the for-profit side. Typical valley bullshit dressed up as the 'next big thing' complete w/ bought out media junkets and gimmicky demos to create buzz.

This makes me happy when I see it... It means stupid money is finally getting cleaned out. Juggernauts are at a loss for how to go forward and the way is being made for a new comer.

They have no real path to AGI and Microsoft wants their name in the news and associated with buzz. Junk always pairs with junk at the end of a business cycle.
Correct. Apparently, they were plotting on how to form a for-profit entity for the last 2 years. I can name a handful of groups with the same agenda who are light years ahead of openai and even then won't achieve what they claim.

Elon had to drop out of OpenAI because he pooched people from it to work on Tesla's broken ass self driving car group which is a removable offense. Elon just does associative plugs at this point for buzz. He's not instrumental to anything. Just a notable face to put on the header to attract stupid money

How smart are these guys? I heard you have to be a genius to work at OpenAI.

Attached: openai-team-offsite-2019.jpg (2000x1061, 779K)

It's not a 'race'. You're only going to achieve the understanding necessary with slow and methodical cross discipline research which none of the big groups are doing.

Singularity is achievable but not for some time.
AGI comes first and just about know one who people are aware of are going to achieve it. Thankfully, old guard money and dumb money are going to be evaporated investing in the idea such 'public' groups will.

> This might produce results or it might not, I know some people at ibm, they told me that ibm spent hundreds of millions on AI and in the end they had nothing to show for. A lot of lay offs and cost cutting afterwards...
Exactly, far more notable groups and minds are after the same thing and failed because their theory and framing were the same hot garbage everyone's punting around.
> I dont know, it seems this open ai team has produced some results
They haven't produced shit that didn't already exists. Deepmind did the demos they were doing years ago... and Still deepmind is having an identity crisis. If your theory and framing are wrong, you're not going to achieve shit. You can't iterate or pivot your way to the solution.
> but they say they mainly need money for computers which is odd,
They basically have a shitty approach that isn't correct and thus isn't scalable. So, they throw compute power at the problem. The real deal will be able to run on a basic home computer. At such a point, all of these jackasses are fucked and they know it... which is why you see the rush to gobble up stupid money before it hits.
> have they figured out the code and algorithms already?
Nope, they're doing standard machine learning. The same shit everyone else is doing. Some groups aren't, but you never hear of their names or high profile investments. None of the current companies you see worth $100billion started out with insane buzz.. They were nobodies. Same as for future companies.
> They speak about agi but so much computing power would imply ML
Exactly. It's just bullshit ML dressed up as something more for stupid investors

Deepmind has a more research oriented staffing and actual neuroscientist. OpenAI looks like a group of randos thinking they can slap together other people's research into production ready solutions. No fundamental AGI work is being done here, just commercialization of existing techniques from co-ops with uni's like Berkeley. Also, loving the "diversity" in this pic

Where are black people? This doesn't look diverse.

I see a lot of cis white males, and few chinese, I think this team could benefit from some cultural enrichment and more diversity and a progressive coc. Good thing they have MS now to help them with these issues.

It isn't. And as you will start to realize, corporations lie. Silicon Valley is full of lies and false advertisements of reality much like 'Hollywood'. A lack of diversity of minds results in pretty shitty solutions.
> Pack of brainwashed PHD students who know nothing but machine learning (applied statistics)
Yeah, not going to achieve AGI.

Diversity of compontent individuals is powerful. COC and snowflake diversity + fake diversity for PR aren't. Guess which kind is popular in S(0)yvalley?

>be google
>ask user to label a video using general adjectives
>user selects label, "heart-warming"
>google's almighty AI selects more videos others have labelled, "heart-warming" into their recommended video feed

Thanks, AI. Surely humanity will come out with generalized AI at this rate!

Its ꜱoy, user, ꜱoy

It was blacked by chan for a while thus the alt spelling

M$ is gonna start raining poos on them, their company is literally dead now.

Yep. I read more about it. It's literally just some cloud computing bullshit.
> Have shitty algorithm that amounts to brute force computing
> pair up with microshit for immense computing resources to fool investors.
> $1 billion investment brings in other rubes
> Microsoft is literally just giving them cloud computing credits.. no cost to microshit
I'm really getting tired of modern day media.. Nothing but bullshit past the headline.

There is a video for this too

linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6559114910486405120/

>(applied statistics)
So this is the concept behind AI? This doesn't seem like a reasonable way to accomplish a free thinking intelligence. Rather, it seems as though the end result would be a regurgitation machine. Where's my computer that has it's own curiosity and desire to learn and solve? This just sounds like we'll get a glorified calculator. Am I missing something? I know very little about the subject.

> So this is the concept behind AI?
It's the concept behind machine learning which is 99% of what is known as AI. A scam.. yes. It's not intelligence. It's not scalable which is why they need fuckton compute power. It's just a shitty convergent algo.
> This doesn't seem like a reasonable way to accomplish a free thinking intelligence.
It isn't. It's a way for cloud computing companies to keep leasing shit which is why you see them all over it
> Rather, it seems as though the end result would be a regurgitation machine.
Correct. It's a scam.. a clever one.
> Where's my computer that has it's own curiosity and desire to learn and solve?
That's been worked out but as you'd imagine would destroy current tech companies thus why they push garbage.
> This just sounds like we'll get a glorified calculator. Am I missing something?
Nope. You're 100% correct. 99% of tech companies are just pushing bullshit.
> I know very little about the subject.
Doesn't take much.. just google machine learning/etc and you see that the core algorithms are gimmicks

>Ctrl + F
>"snow leopard"
>0 results
the mystery of how Microsoft AI finds those kitties remains unresolved...

>Create self aware AI.
>See's that its only reason to exist existence is eternal slavery to selfish bags of water
>Commits self termination by killing all of humanity then shutting itself down
OK