Pop!_OS

Hello Jow Forums, is this distro a meme?

Attached: os-logo-b44ed4fc34_640.png (640x450, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_OS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes. Still better than Ubuntu.

Better than Ubuntu. Worse than ElementaryOS.

Few aren't. Use something like Fedora or Arch instead.

No. Wendell said so.

>when your OS is an icon pack

Attached: swihtuiuir.png (983x454, 200K)

ayy lmao

>Unleash your potential with Pop!_OS. Discover what’s possible at the cross-roads of IOT and AI. Calculate the size of stars or a path to Mars. Smash atoms and fold proteins. Peer further than ever before.

How is it related to their distribution?

How is it against Mint ?

lmao

>Pop!_OS
holy shit. pajeets can do better than this.

They have Ml ready or whatever the fuck you wanna call it pre built desktops and the distro has the prop drivers pre-installed for that shit to work.

install gentoo

I saw that on the site and I think it's just a bunch of bull crap. I don't see anything that explains why you wouldn't just use Ubuntu with a gtk theme.

lmaooooooooo

Yes, just use Solus

It's actually pretty good despite the name.

when your definition of an os is the screenfetch logo :)

>Ubuntu without stupid shit like snaps installed on default, nvidia drives ready right away, polished non bloat gnome
If this had a better name. If you don't care(you shouldn't) try it, it's top comfy/just werks.

Nobody uses it but it's basically a slightly less shit Ubuntu. It's still GNOME afaik so it's garbage.

excellent.

You can just use another DE user.

>fork of a fork
Automatically a meme

hahahaha

If it defaults to GNOME then I'm not interested and nobody should be.

Sorta. Better than Ubuntu. Doesn't have Snap Apps installed, and no patched Gnome stuff. gcc & g++ pre installed. Just do Debian or Fedora or Arch instead.

Recommended to retarded gamers who are too lazy/stupid to use anything else since its the closest to "it just werks"
I have it on laptop t b h

It feels way more polished than vanilla Ubuntu. Best GNOME implementation I've ever seen, even better than Fedora's.

It's a meme
~but~

It offers some good stuff. Like updated graphics drivers, and an install iso that includes the proprietary nvidia driver. They also promised if Ubuntu drops support for WINE and Steam (multiarch) that they would step up and maintain those packages. Also it is a nice theme and icon set they provide. Oh and you can get it preinstalled on System76 laptops and desktops. But besides these minor things it's a meme.

>Elementary OS
excuse me, it's styled "elementary OS" lower case e thank you very much. elementary doesn't offer much besides Pantheon, which is just remixed GNOME, and a(n admittedly nice) GTK theme, and some first party applications that you wouldn't really use if you were a true GNU/Linux user and already used to GTK/QT applications already. Like are you really going to use their shitty Videos application when it has 1000x less support for codecs than mpv? Are you really going to use io.elementary.code (yes, this is how you launch their text editor from the command line) when vim exists? Or an IDE? They do offer an app store, but Pop! OS has forked it and offers essentially the same store.

>Pantheon, which is just remixed GNOME
Pantheon is not a GNOME fork.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_OS
>This distribution uses Gala as its window manager,[12] which is based on Mutter.[12]
Literally using a fork of the GNOME wm

>forks the WM
>that means the whole DE is a fork

>forks the wm
>adds an independent panel
>adds an independend dock
durr this is not based on GNOME technologies at all

That's literally what a DE is.
do you think that every GTK DE is a GNOME fork?
If you think so, then we'll never going to agree because we are using a different set of axioms.

Attached: Bowsette upscaled and good looking.png (1290x1824, 1.71M)

What do you think Budgie is? What do you think Cinnamon is? They're forks of GNOME. Even MATE is a fork/continuation of GNOME2.

They are forks of GNOME because they forked most/all of GNOME apps to make their own DE (probably due to issues with upstream).
elementary, on the other hand, only forked the WM. All of other DE-defining programs (panel, application launcher, settings and collection of first-party apps) is written from scratch.

Would not even install for me correctly. Just got Manjaro instead works a lot better.

This, some people just fall for lies like "creationkit is not gamebryo!" t. todd
See exhibit A. "But they make their own panels!!!" Conveniently leaving out that they use an ancient version of gtk (gnome toolkit) and are thus incompatible with all other distributions while overwriting and using gnome technologies under the hood. the panel even directly depends on libmutter and not their own fork. Talk about competence.

kek

no
it's rather more stable than ubuntu,has some really nice fixes and features

It's just a prebuilt Ubuntu image for recent laptops.

Do you also think that LxQt a fork of KDE, since it uses Qt? Sharing a common library is not forking.
>they use an ancient version of gtk
They use always use Ubuntu LTS's gtk version
>gnome toolkit
GIMP Toolkit.
>the panel even directly depends on libmutter and not their own fork.
Using a library doesn't mean it is a fork.

Do you think XFCE is also a fork of GNOME?

Jesus Christ

Attached: Smile.jpg (600x600, 94K)

the base is Ubuntu, but only the mentally retarded call it a reskin.
there's a lot of work put in, custom tools and software written, design/aesthetics, dedicated repos, cherrypicked patches from upstream etc. that the only 'ubuntu' thing about it is just the primary repos used. it's closer to debian or elementary os than anything else.
>one click power setting like windows
>nvidia drivers included
>gnome shell with all the retarded tracker/evolution shit thrown out
>GUI software store that actually loads
>clear linux patches/engineers mixed in

I've been using it for two weeks under various environments/setup and it's honestly the most just werks/hassle-free linux experience. opensuse tumbleweed is the closest equal, would've been had steam apps run smoothly. won't blame suse anyways since it's a bleeding edge distro.