Ubisoft switches to Blender and joins to the Development Fund

Another great victory to open source!

news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/353364/ubisoft-joins-blender-development-fund-to-support-open-source-animation

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao6UhGLLy7I

Attached: 3DMax.jpg (1440x813, 170K)

Other urls found in this thread:

code.blender.org/2019/06/blender-is-free-software/
youtu.be/W1j4iSyMrGE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

here comes the CoC and thw SJW and then it all goes to shit. Blended just received the kiss of death

>Another great victory to open source!

No, blender is free software, please use the correct term, opensource is the corporate term used to wash their hands while reaping the benefits.

code.blender.org/2019/06/blender-is-free-software/

Honestly, I find it hard to give a shit about the terminology of "free software" vs "open source". So put yourself on-topic or gtfo Stallman.

if you don't care about free software, why are you posting about it? were you dropped on the head as a child?

He's posting about open source, not free software.

this, what the fuck, man
this isn't even "IT'S GNU LINUX" territory
no matter if you call it FOSS, free software, free and open source software, or whatever, it's not the same as just "open source", since something can be open source and proprietary at the same time
something which is foss must be open source, but something which is open source need not be foss, so it's not a good idea to call foss things open source, or to praise something for only being open source

>MOM! he doesn't care about terminology REEEEE
>He's saying heretic words, he's raping my believes! REEEEE
Watch FSFdrones at peak performance...
This thread died because of this.

No one gives a shit. Topic is about ubisoft about to cuck blender.

If is a concern to you that big tech companies are using foss software and "can influence badly" foss communities (with CoC and such) why you are even using computers?
Or are you proud users of GNU/Hurd on a 100% free hardware PC, which all components are driven with foss firmware? Are you proud users of a FairPhone also?
The same can (and should be) extended to your routers and ISP/VPN provider...
Why not better go live in the woods and hunt/raise your own food?

Open source: proving your shit works
Free software: communism

We are here to discuss technical quirks of software, not political agendas. Back to .

>something can be open source and proprietary at the same time
Neither Coraline Ehmke nor MongoDB Inc. employees are welcome on this board. Kindly piss off and take your newspeak dictionary with you.

That's pretty cool. I've always enjoyed the stuff the Blender Foundation releases, even if I don't use Blender myself.

>implying OP cares about freedom
>implying OP isn't celebrating source auditability and inspectability for learning purposes

>Ubisoft switches to Blender
Ubisoft's in-house film studio, which has produced exactly nothing of note, is switching to Blender. Ubisoft's game studios are not.

Attached: 1538301113789.jpg (720x439, 61K)

how much more money do those useless faggots need? hasn't made blender any easier to use. hasn't made the program less of a giant clusterfuck. what are they doing with this money? whores and cocaine?

>That's pretty cool. I've always enjoyed the stuff the Blender Foundation releases, even if I don't use Blender myself.
>trust me, guys. totally not a shill
pretty obvious shilling, faggot.

Perhaps some overwatch cinematics?

No he is posting about blender, which explicitly states itself as free software.

Where is your own game user to battle the Ubisoft, user?

Attached: 1550459218604.webm (700x392, 556K)

>hasn't made blender any easier to use.
I take it you haven't paid any attention to Blender in the past year or so.
2.80 completely redoes the entire UI, its WAY more usable now.
Also the renderer is now rivaling Maya, and the sculpting is getting way better too.
Blender 2.80 today, and Blender from like 3-4 years ago is like a quantum leap in difference.

>Epic funds Blender
>Ubisoft funds Blender
Why are cunt companies suddenly doing something nice, what's the catch?

Attached: 1542195679821.gif (450x337, 1.12M)

They want off of the Maya/3dMax train. Giving a mil to Blender for them to implement the features you need is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost they spend on Autodesk's software.
Luckly while they're acting in their own interest it ends up benefiting us all all the same.

>first epic
>now ubisoft
whats their endgame Jow Forums?

literally read the post above yours.

based, fuck autodesk, hard.

this, is far less weird than say, valve supporting linux
valve supporting linux doesn't help them nearly as much as a company dropping expensive modelling software in favour of free software
imagine not needing hundreds of licenses for high end modelling programs? imagine not needing to pay their subscriptions or new versions? imagine being able to actually modify it to suit your purposes?
donating to fill the gaps in a free program which does 90% of what you need is an absolute no-brainer
not only can they save money, they can also modify it to suit their needs

you don't need to worry about it suddenly become proprietary or anything, the GPL is written specifically to prevent this

>I take it you haven't paid any attention to Blender in the past year or so.
no, i haven't. ive been using other software instead. i am amazed that they actually did something about the gui, just looking at some screenshots of it. wow. about fucking time. it only took them forever to fix.

The epic thing was 3 years ago i think
People just talk about it now to shill/shitpost around egs/the epic ceo guy

Maya and Max are industry standard, battle tested, professionally made juggernauts with a rich history spanning decades of innovation and productivity research.

Don't expect Blender to topple them overnight. Having "features" is simply not enough.

Attached: tejina_cry2.png (627x608, 360K)

>Giving a mil to Blender for them to implement the features you need is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost they spend on Autodesk's software.
I hope more and more companies will adopt this mindset.
They save A LOT of money, they get what they want meanwhile benefits.
And when others benefit, they benefit too as the software is more widely tested and if there is a bug they don't need to depend on Autoshit, because maybe a random dude somewhere in the world already fixed that problem 2 hours after it was discovered and the fix is already accepted in the latest-git version.

who would win
>two industry standard, battle tested, professionally made juggernaughts
>one blendyboy made by literally who

While you're not wrong, there is a LOT of interest in breaking away from Autodesk across the industry. Blender isn't going to take away all usage from Autodesk, but I would not be surprised if in the next 5 years that they steal 20-30% of the market share.
Autodesk is mostly shitty due to not having any real competition in years, hopefully this shakes things up.

But Juggernaut was made with blender long ago:
youtu.be/W1j4iSyMrGE
So checkmate Autoshill

Attached: 01.jpg (1280x720, 503K)

there are two reasons that come to my mind right away
- support. if you're the kind of company who modifies programs to suit, this probably isn't an issue, but if you're not, and you need someone sent over yesterday to fix something, you need the kind of support foss can't provide (usually, and at least not for free)
- having the industry standard be free software lowers the barrier for entry, potentially leading to more competition
that's all i can think of, outside of that it's just "does it actually do what i need it to do"

>le slippery slope sarcastic exagerated argument :D

> support
The Blender foundation has restructured quite a bit for this exact reason. They do sell commercial support packages now

oh wait, there's also;
- training/knowledge, if the software works differently, people need to learn to use it
- formats and compatibility, switching to something else can be painful if you can't use your existing/older data
>They do sell commercial support packages now
nice, i am talking in general though, not just blender

Blender has pretty much never been associated with controversy (that I know of) and will probably never get associated with CoC and "SJW" because they don't associate their software with a political alignment and offensive ideologies.
Remember, if it's open source and you hate it, just fork it!

>Studio that hasn't made a good game in 15 years switches to a software that hasn't made a good asset ever

Ok

bad dragon uses it to model their dildos

Epic is a Chinese shell studio now so of course they want everything as free and open as possible. Hard to steal code from closed source stuff.

>Luckly while they're acting in their own interest it ends up benefiting us all all the same
The beauty of FOSS.

>they don't associate their software with a political alignment and offensive ideologies.
Oh, that can easily be fixed. Here you go.

Attached: blender.png (1256x895, 771K)

What's this?

Attached: 1563558436652m.jpg (777x1024, 129K)

Now if only someone did the same with Gimp.

At this point GIMP is a lost cause. Krita is the future. It just needs things like palatalized colors, etc added in and it can completely replace GIMP

No, you retard, I use windows, office, and several other programs I actually paid for. I dont give a shit about blender free/paid/free/open source/closed source linux bsd software, I dont even care if ubisoft cucks blender with coc, diversity, positive action hire and discrimination against whites. The things I see now is some people are happy blender is getting support and funding, and I am just waiting with pop corn ready for them to go full ree when the first draft of blender coc gets introduced.

>2.80 completely redoes the entire UI, its WAY more usable now.
2.80 isn't even out. 2.79 is the current version, and in traditional Blender design it's UI is a massive steaming pile of shit. We'll have to wait for the release before starting a thread on that. Blender is going to need either a complete UI overhaul or a miracle to be more than the "how to select an object requires a tutorial video on youtube" joke that it currently is.

2.80 is RC and has been usable for months now, so much so that tons of tutorials have been already released for it.
Its basically been out for a while in all but name.
I mean shit, go to the webpage, its has a huge fucking graphic and download link for it, 2.79 is a smaller out of the way link

>Why not better go live in the woods and hunt/raise your own food?
That's actually a good idea.

2.80 release candidate is out

Attached: blender.png (1440x852, 727K)

can you left click on the default cube and press delete on the keyboard yet?

>Why not better go live in the woods and hunt/raise your own food?
because all land is already claimed by someone who will demand rent or taxes

Fuck ubisoft and their unoptimized games. I am boycotting them for their entire lifespan.

So far it's been the industry juggernaughts. Blender has been trying to push itself into the industry for a while but couldn't find any super big sponsors. That may change soon because game companies suddenly had a fire lit under their asses, not sure why

>ubisoft
>overwatch
??

pipe down, glownigger

Yes. That's the default now.

this is "gimp got a tool to make circles" level of mind fuck right now
what next, a gtk file picker with thumbnails?

Valve supporting linux makes perfect sense. They want the ability to push a "fallback" OS if Windows shits the bed somehow and isn't commercially viable. It's there to ensure that their own business is completely unaffected by some kind of Microsoft failing with Windows.

If you're making billions of dollars from a cash cow, why wouldn't you hire a few dozen guys to make sure it's not going to disappear overnight because of reasons outside your control?

windows disappearing is almost certainly not something that will happen overnight, but yea... always nice to reduce your companies dependencies

No fuggin way...

They are really going all in on Blender?

I'll def get the new AC if it's made with Blender.

Considering that gnome devs are pants on the head retarded, never goinf to happen. There is more chances of Krita getting better editing support.

Windows is not going to disappear anytime soon. But M$ is very close to making a closed version of Windows that they give away for free that can only install software from the windows store. This kills Steam.

don't hold your breath

it's over