Trying to install gentoo, I’m new to Linux, which of these tarballs do I want...

Trying to install gentoo, I’m new to Linux, which of these tarballs do I want? The handbook says stage 3 but there are a lot of options.

Attached: EE4579FA-AB70-4942-A3DA-FCC443CF1606.jpg (4032x3024, 3.97M)

current-stage3-amd64

The point is you are supposed to figure it out retard.

Learn to teach yourself.

current-stage3-amd64-systemd

Oh I tried that one but I just realized that I need to change the name of the extension to unpack it. Thank you user

xubuntu.org

fyi gentoo is not well documented - a very poor choice for a noob even if you can read

Sorry, but I’ve got another question. I didn’t get an /mnt/etc/portage/make.conf file after unpacking, in fact there’s nothing in /mnt/. Did I download the wrong tarball?

Attached: A0CA0B86-0085-4202-AAE8-75EB53FB6119.jpg (500x498, 39K)

NEVERMIND it’s in ~. The handbook says it’s in /mnt/ for some reason

Attached: 63DCCD68-0ECD-4816-BBD9-71BD63BF2E2D.jpg (1000x563, 93K)

(you) are fucking retarded op
just follow the guide
gentoo isn't even hard to install

Attached: 19195177328.jpg (903x960, 52K)

if you unpacked it in the home directory, that's where it'll be located
nothing should end up in the home directory, except if you fucked something up

Turns out I did unpack in ~ somehow. I moved the tarball to /mnt/gentoo/ and unpacked it there. I’m a newb at anything outside of windows.

isnt against Jow Forums rules to post malware links?

You don't seem to understand what a link is.

a shame you seemed an honest man

What’s wrong with systemd?

>stage 3
gay
put on your big girl panties and do stage 1

I’m saving the estrogen and thigh highs for when I’m actually proficient

>Trying to install gentoo
>I’m new to Linux

Attached: 027.png (1000x1000, 137K)

>you have to be a linux expert to learn linux
the frogposters state

be nice

Start completely over and use systemrescuecd there is no reason to do all of this shit from a framebuffer TTY.

Can't use a browser and copy pasting is difficult.

kek

just kill yourself now faggit

You think I should? I managed to chroot from the installation USB stick to my SSD before I left from work. I don’t know how to do this with a GUI, I just followed the handbook’s instructions so I’m using the command line.

It’s easy to do from the minimal CD if you aren’t a fucking retard. The Handbook is what’s shit, hasn’t been updated in years.

WELL IT'S OPEN SORES SO YOU CAN JUST UPDATE IT YOURSELF... NERD! LOL

I’m also installing gentoo, please fuck when do I get to use a GUI

Attached: A4974404-53C0-4DBC-B626-0E9AE93A18D9.jpg (934x948, 312K)

Retard. Use Ubuntu to install Gentoo you can chroot and then browse the internet while you wait for stuff to compile

You are too retarded for Gentoo

You can’t, the admins maintain the Handbook.

There is nothing wrong with the handbook

The retarded partitioning advice, for one.

I’m determined to get good...

Attached: 7700937D-6701-411A-83FF-1F1C8A579488.png (670x578, 345K)

Fuck wait how is it retarded oh god I’m following it to a T

True, but anyone installing Gentoo probably has an idea what they want their partitioning to look like

I agree, but not OP.

You probably have an efi motherboard so you need fat32 /boot (about 500mb and since it's fat32 it's fine for /boot/efi) and the rest for home/root/swap depending on your needs . You don't need a bios or mbr partition or whatever

*Grub partition not bios partition

I’m using an SSD for this install, since im not using any other partitions should I just wipe it and start from scratch?

Yeah and use an Ubuntu (or whatever GUI distro) as a live cd and chroot as normal. Watch YouTube while waiting for kde to compile and then reboot into a working Gentoo system with GUI and browser

and all the fears you hold so dear

you can't do stage 1 anymore.

>you can't do stage 1 anymore.
fucking n00bs
it can be done if you aren't a faggit

Few points I'll make.

You need a uefi booted environment to setup uefi.
systemrescuecd is uefi and based which makes a few things less complicated, including chrooting.

You can compile your kernel command line into your actual kernel with an initramfs using genkernel and also enable uefi stubloading and copy your kernel to the uefi partition into EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi

That way there is zero required bootloader configuration and your uefi firmware will just boot directly into Linux.

If you need more boot options you can fuck around with efibootmgr to add options directly to your motherboards uefi firmware.

Use a desktop profile, it enables a lot of useflags by default that won't be enabled unless you do, causing you to have to troubleshoot why a bunch of shit isn't working while you manually enable a bunch of shit and recompile everything, its pointless.

Use systemd, its easier and there is no benefit to using any other init.

When emerging your X11 shit be sure to set
INPUT_DEVICES="libinput"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965"
Or whatever is appropriate so that when you emerge xorg-x11 it doesn't pull every single driver.

After you get your shit working for the first time with browsers setup etc, back your shit up with the stage4 creation directions because chances are you will fuck your shit up and a stage4 makes re-installing very easy.

You can just find the download link on one of the mirrors. If you dig deeper you can find everything from stage 1 to stage 3 musl hardened and stage 4

Systemd is not easier since most of Gentoo documentation is for OpenRC , some packages like iptables don't even work on systemd Gentoo.

>Systemd is not easier since most of Gentoo documentation is for OpenRC , some packages like iptables don't even work on systemd Gentoo.

Incorrect on both points, the documentation includes both systemd and openrc specific directions, of which systemd are ALWAYS easier and faster.

iptables doesn't have issues on systemd

Dilate

You never used iptables in systemd Gentoo.
And the documentation does not always have systemd and OpenRC. Usually yes but not always

itoddler

i wish I had your courage, OP

For me it's the Ubuntu LiveCD

I’m not courageous I’m just very interested in computers, programming, and Linux now :)

hello, not op here but I was going to install gentoo soon and was wondering if it was the approved distro that will get you drowning in pussy juice from all the hottest babes?

Attached: 605a7590d5fedad70e6ff663f92f45cc.jpg (540x811, 86K)

I run Gentoo and I'm a kissless virgin. Hope this helps.

install void desu, compiling everything isn't that useful and you can still do this on other distros, and void doesn't come with all the shit some other distros do. still minimal or whatever, just seems like the better option

INSTALL WIIIINDOWSS!

I HAVE Windows silly billy this is for my second SSD. ima dual boot

>You never used iptables in systemd Gentoo.
Works for me. I'm legitimately curious what the hell you are talking about.

Honest question, why do new to loonix people here always go for some obscure os. Are they trying to impress their cool friends on Jow Forums?

I've used debian/ubuntu for ten years now and I really don't see the advantage of l33t h4x0r distros you fags love to rice so much.

I got recommended gentoo in another thread. Might just install Ubuntu tho

probably they just fall for memes
I mean look at it's literally "install gentoo"
> l33t h4x0r distros you fags love to rice so much.
I use void with KDE, basically vanilla, justwerks without systemd and openSSL, as well as being rolling release which I prefer, haven't had problems yet but someone else said an update made them have to reinstall some packages. A lot of people go all in on keyboard-driven stuff or unix philosophy, so they spend a lot of time making the pieces work together or whatever.
do that, install ubuntu or mint.
WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT INSTALL GNOME UBUNTU IT IS UTTERLY SHIT

i don't need a package manager and a fuckton of tools written in python holding my head and i don't like poorly writtend ebuilds that pulls unnecessary dependencies so i have my own linux from scratch based distro.

boin