Bloat

Reminder that there was a time when it was normal that an entire OS fit on a CD, and drivers fit on a floppy.

Attached: W95-Setup.png (642x478, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what happened?

Countless things. I remember a time when Ubuntu made a point of fitting a fully usable system on a CD. It seems like such a weird selling point now, but I'm sure that it played a large part in its widespread adoption.

download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/Wd55_ben.exe
Word 5.5 available from MS directly. The installer is just over 3MB.

Attached: 5x-dos-ebdf705709af87592f69ae4460d7cb2e-Microsoft Word 5.5 for DOS - Edit.png (640x480, 17K)

>What is LiveUSb

It's still the case.

Not really comparable if it's nearly/over 2GB is it?

But we don't use CDs, we have cheap 256GB ssds.

>as long as it uses less than 256GB then everything is fine.
Not only that, but think of what a low-standards argument that is. Think of the transfer speed of an SSD; that should not be necessary for a fucking ordinary home-user OS.

The only defense people have of bloat is that we can mitigate it's effects.

And it was a hacked up piece of unstable shit that had barely any functionality.

You could have made the same argument for optical media and hard disks versus cassettes and floppy disks. Nobody needs a modern operating system like NT or Unix, CP/M was just fine!

Transfer speeds like that are completely necessary and "non-bloated" operating systems from back in the day take forever to boot up, and of course so does all their software.

XP could be installed under 2 GB. Vista used nearly ten times that. There's a difference between growth and bloat.

the thirty million line problem wasn't a very good presentation/video or whatever but you should still watch it anyway since it directly relates to your question

Nobody ever contested that Vista was bloat.

Also the main reason Vista uses so much HDD space is because it saves EVERYTHING for system restore use. You can delete that stuff.

Not really, a lot of that size is just from caching which can be cleaned. "Bloat" is a meaningless buzzword mostly just used by wrong generation faggots to describe software and features they are ignorant of or otherwise don't understand.

same shit applies to the jump from Windows 3.x to 9x while still having the same superficial feature set yet still here you are holding it up on a pedestal

Install TempleOS
Install Gentoo

CDs are bloat. Windows 3.1 came on 6 floppies.

should've just used one of these

Attached: 100.jpg (640x638, 135K)

Based

Last time I checked, my Debian OS dvd disk was still on 1 disk
All the drivers fit in the repository, so I'm good there too.

>OS on CD
>Drivers on floppy

>But muh Debian fits on one dvd
Wtf? Are you an imbecile?

you guys need to wake up and stop living in the past, hardware has gotten even more complex and plentiful, new standard requires more code to support them and don't forget that no manufacturers implements these standards perfectly, they all have different sets of quirks and subtle bugs which means we need even more code to work around it

sound like any Windows CE

It sure did. Back then a CD was the only option I had to get Ubuntu on my grandpa's PC because it was so old it wouldn't boot from USB and didn't have a DVD drive. I suppose I wasn't the only one with that problem.

FUCK OFF IDIOT THAT'S STILL VERY REASONABLE TODAY.

If you want a 1440p screen and a browser that is really 60 browsers, you need more computing power. BIG DEAL

bloat

no computer even comes with floppy or cd anymore

CD drives were expensive in 1995. Installing Win95 from floppies was a colossal PITA, I'll take a modern Windows or Linux installer over that any time.

>this thread
>"Oh, you don't like thinks taking up entire GBs when it used to be 1% of that? I guess you have a problem with things being bigger than 2KB as well, hmmmmm?"
>attached smug anime pic

Why is this considered an argument?

Attached: smug anime girl means i'm right.png (240x240, 92K)

imagine installing windows 8 from floppy and get i/o errors because of bad sectors on disk around 3600

Attached: xDqZ2XlZvzfvs5Y4uvpY.jpg (1024x768, 94K)

Imagine just not needing 3,600 disks in the first place?

Windows has always been relatively bloated.

Nothing's stopping you from using your ancient shit

Well I mean nowadays windows ships with a kernel with basic security

>Lotus Development (Cambridge, MA) ported 1-2-3 from assembly to C between versions 2.01 and 3.0. Consequently, the code size nearly tripled, from 1.4 MB to 4 MB.

Attached: lotus-1-2-3.png (640x400, 3K)

Why C is this bloat?

So, use your 80's gameboy then, crybaby

An entire OS still fits on a CD and drivers on a floppy.

The problem is having userspace programs and thousands of drivers. Windows installer is still under 3GB, the actual OS part of it is less than 500MB. Same with modern GNU/Linux distros.

Attached: +_818ffbcdd5781f636f99b25faae3e6ba.jpg (788x739, 101K)

>but wait, you got some errors happening?

it was before POCs ans feminists