/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOP, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: palit-x700-box.0.jpg (1200x616, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/rkMXgw
pcpartpicker.com/list/LQXMq4
superuser.com/questions/593772/calculate-performance-of-ram-using-timing-and-speed
pcpartpicker.com/list/HgDnWD
pcpartpicker.com/list/r8nXgw
youtube.com/watch?v=bYiz0iUvp9w
pcpartpicker.com/list/4xZWV6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best HTPC case? Going with onboard video, nothing special, just movies and music.

>still waiting for the good 5700xts to come out
UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>the days of having cute girls on everything is gone

>Intel is dead in the CPU scene until 2022
>AMD is planning on switching to an Intel Incremental increase year over year model
So is it time to get a 3700x and wait another 5-8 years for a new king of CPUs because I've been dying to upgrade from my i5 3570 for 7 years now.

this as well, yes

he WAS the hype train

FD Node 202

Yes

Why did they stop putting those 3D render characters on video card boxes? They were cringe yet comfy. Especially liked the ayyliums

Because gamer branding and rgb took over

Attached: spoiled-bitch.jpg (960x618, 95K)

How much money am i looking at right now?

Should I get B450 tomahawk MAX or just save up for a x570 board? I have already purchased everything but a mobo

x570 is a waste of money unless you absolutely need pcie 4.0

x570 if you hate bios issues
b450 if you are a basement neet with too much time

Gonna use it primarily for gaming and don't know what the fuck I'm doing so recommendations are welcome. Still not sure if I should get the 2080S or the 2080. I don't care that much about money so I picked the 2080S for now.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rkMXgw

Attached: image.png (836x522, 39K)

Really not that much besides the overpriced chair.
Cheap desk, cheap TV, cheap trash all over the place. Lots of games, but they could be $5-$10 used ones.

>660p for main drive
>2080 super
>2080 at all
so many mistakes

Anyone knows if the Sapphire RX480 8gb is still a viable option for GPU?

>R3 3200G
Why tho? That shit is like a 5% improvement on the CPU side and no changes in the iGPU from the 2200G. New APUs are shit.

LSG did a vid on that and improvements are indirect.

Good look running 3700x for 8 years at 1.45V idle. AMD knows what's up and learns from Intel's mistakes. They will make their customers fry their CPUs to force people to buy into the incremental increase never-ending refreshes.

time to grow up m8

>time to grow up m8

People then were grown up too dipshit.

There are barely no improvements, at least not enough to warrant the $20 difference. You are better spending $20 more and getting a 2400G.

It was pathetic then too, cunt.

all you'd get nowadays is a trany nigger on a wheelchair
but in high resolution

>1.45v idle
Wait hold up what?
I knew the silicone was chink tier but it can't be that bad?!

Attached: 1561053259729.png (801x405, 558K)

>pathetic

Die you fucking fat roastie

Youve got a point. Anything attractive would be double plus offensive.

true

pcpartpicker.com/list/LQXMq4

I'm reusing the GPU and Monitor until the AIB RX 5700's arrive in August. Is the Seagate Barracuda reliable compared to the WD10EZEX? Considering swapping out my Crucial MX100 SSD for the HP EX920's.

Also considering repupurposing my Hyper 212 EVO for the 3700X.
However, not sure about the PSU. Any comparable models for 600W?

Also, does the Meshify C really offer anything extra in the realm of Cable Management or anything else that the Regnum RG4TF, Focus G, and related designs don't offer already?

Guarantee I'm a literal chad compared to you. Suck my dick.

It's true. They idle at 1.45v and 60c(!)

No matter what you look like you will never be a chad you white knight cuckold.

tbf the i5 already idles at 50c no matter what I do so it wouldn't be too much more to handle. Seriously I could install an AIO CPU liquid cooler and it'd still be 50c.

Attached: 0e1e409b64d0cdad876ac4d9c4b82ab9.jpg (1157x1258, 180K)

get wrecked you fat fucking queer

They only do this if you don't set up your power profiles properly. I built a 3600X system for someone, disabled PBO and used the windows balanced plan with 5% minimum CPU state and the thing idles in the 30s with the cores shifting around the whole 0.2 - 1.45V range as processes ask for them.

Doesn't all that stuff gimp a CPU range people wanted to get for performance related tasks?

Some posters on r*ddit are capped to 4.2ghz by messing around with powerplans so ymmv

Only if you do that dumb shit people are talking about where you set the max processor state to 99% or disable core performance boost in the BIOS. Both of those stop the CPU from boosting at all and it just sits at low clocks all day long.

I get the joy of tinkering around with this stuff, I really do but if I'm going to be paying 300-500 for something I think I just want it to werk desu.
Just lurking here for general info on what to get, been on here for weeks now...

Also, high voltage is a result of low current draw so its totally possible to have really vcore on idle, then start up cinebench and see it drop like a rock as all the cores draw current.

YEah, I wouldn't mess too much myself. Saw people sayin the voltage jumps just opening a tab from idle state. AMD said it was the way it's supposed to work, I don't know if I buy that.
But also don't want to worry people with a nice purchase they've made. May just be patient and hold out for Black Friday or the next sale and see what newer drivers and bios versions do.

So, when it comes to RAM, what should i prefer? Bigger mhz number or smaller latency? Right now i am deciding between 3666 CL17 and 3200 CL16

They're really sensitive to even light requests that's for sure, my 2600X is the same way. If you put a real hefty load on them (Prime95 or Handbrake for instance) the voltage drops to the 1.3 range on all cores. I'm reasonably convinced that 1.4 spikes on low current/usage loads is fine but they should really figure out a way to keep it from idling there constantly out of the box. Like said I'm plenty willing to tweak and explain this shit to people but many won't put up with it at all.

Real latency is a function of real clock speed and CL.
3666 cl17 = 9.27ns
3200 cl17 = 10ns
The 3666cl17 kit is slightly lower latency, and has a higher bandwidth.

I can't believe how fucking not just tech illiterate Jow Forums is, but ignorant to the basics of electricity.
VOLTS TIMES AMPS EQUALS WATTS. Volts on its own is meaningless. It's designed to idle at high voltage, low amperage.

You faggots are posting about this shit every fucking day, showing you don't know what the fuck amps are.

Assuming ryzen since intel doesnt yet support xmp that high. Calculate the interval using the tested timings and get the one the lowest nanosecond delay.

superuser.com/questions/593772/calculate-performance-of-ram-using-timing-and-speed

In all likelihood, the actual real performance difference is very negligible between the two.

Please don't just tell me I'm wrong. I need some actual help with this shit.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HgDnWD

Attached: image.png (820x590, 48K)

The voltage sounds fine to me desu as amd's engineers should understand their own silicon better than us. The high idle temps otoh are inexcusable.

Power plans? On desktop? Since when it's a requirement? Is it a windows 10 thing?

Get 3600c16 RAM if you want peak performance.
Spend less on SSD memes if budget is tight, you can always add more storage later

Because intel and zen plus either have all the cpu polling tweaks sorted out and shows the cpu in a low current and low voltage idle state, or just have higher current draw to begin with, at least not to the degree as zen2.

This shit is weird and AMD marketing failed to prepare the public and media for this kind of chiplet weirdness.

I don't like the temps I'm seeing from users either though. People make fun of the 9900k all the time for temps, how come people are conveniently just overlooking the mad temperatures on the new Ryzens?
You seem to believe it's all according to plan and nothing to make a fuss over or even question.
Why are you so livid about it?

Pretty sure power plans have been thing since at least Vista, 7 at the absolute latest. They're what tell your CPU what states it's allowed to boost and idle at.

What happens for people who use Linux?

Because amd is the beloved underdog and any accusations of ryzen are downplayed.

>3600c16
wtf man, how is that essential to him for the build?

Guys if i want to save money, it's okay to buy used case, right? I mean, i can't get really scammed with that, there's not much to be broken in it.

I'm gonna use it for gaming, I dunno if that RAM isn't a bit overkill

Because it maximizes performance from the CPU he chose?
It's not.

You can find good cases for about 50-40 bucks this is considered poorfag cases. You might as well steal one or make one out of carboard yourself if you wanna save money.

pcpartpicker.com/list/r8nXgw
2nd gaming pc build went for 1500 USD but ofcourse i over shot it, tell me if its worth it bros.

youtube.com/watch?v=bYiz0iUvp9w

Nothing wrong with questioning it. Is just there is a logical explanation that no one seems to care.
Mind you that its the same case with the 9900k but completely different circumstances; one is a new arch acting weirdly on the edge of thermals and voltage at stock and the other is an old arch deliberately pushed beyond spec out of the box.

Is the 9900k definitely not worth considering at it's new price do you reckon?

pcpartpicker.com/list/4xZWV6
there you go
>better CPU
>silent cooler
>better mobo
>same-tier RAM
>cheaper SSDs with similar performance
>cheaper minimalist case (tempered glass version available too, if you care
>cheaper high-quality PSU
>silent case fan (use as exhaust)

>more than double the price for 1-5 fps performance gain

>more than double the price
Sure if you're retarded. They were $105 for a 16GB kit a few days ago.

Good question, I don't know how power profiles or settings work on Linux systems so that's something I'd need to play around with to get a better understanding of.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/r8nXgw
Pretty good build, but I think a 1TB SSD is a must for any >$1000 build.
Oh and 3000CL16 is pretty slow. 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is the minimum you should get as it's only like $5 more at most.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4xZWV6
Great build, though the U12S is a bit overpriced and I'd get the Mugen 5.
And $630 for a GPU that's only 10-15% better than a $400 GPU (which you can overclock the difference of easily on the $400 GPU) is terrible value unless you absolutely need CUDA. The RX 5700XT tends to beat the 2080 in productivity usage, too.

I idle at 45c stock

small case though. Since its just for stream, don't really need GPU that much. Is there a decent mother board with good integrated graphics?

ubuntu btw.

Ryzen3 specific scheduler fixes will prob be in the next major kernel release

>Ryzen 7 3700
>Rx5700
>Ddr4 3000
>X570 mobo
Jesus user the only good choice in here is the case.

>RAM prices are rising and rising
>It WaS cHeAp A fEw DaYs Ago

>Mugen 5
good choice as well. gotta admit I'm a noctua fanboy.
the GPU choice was based off the original build's budget

WHY IS THIS PC CASE GIVING ME ELECTRICAL SHOCKS WHEN I TOUCH THE TOP OF IT BUT NOT THE SIDES

As much shit as gigabyte gets, my lowest end motherboard supports 3400 ram, and probably more if I switched to a Ryzen 3xxx.

Pics or it never happened

Oh shit you are still here? Jesus user go to bed. Have you checked that non of your psu cables peeled off? If thats not the issue are you in a carpet floor by any chance?

built my parents an office machine with the B450M DS3H and cheap patriot 3000mhz ram and XMP just worked. so far so good...

Its shit compared to the competition. It doesnt mean that its not functional.

Gaymers hate gigabyte because they can't make a pretty bios gui.
So far they have the least issues with b450/x470 and zen2 support so they seem somewhat competent.

I bought this. It's arriving tomorrow and so is my EVGA Supernova 80 Gold 1000W PSU. Been running my i5 750 @4.1GHz for the past 10 years I think. Also a M.2 500GB ssd, 32GB DDR4 ram 3200mhz.
Altogether came out to 700 or 800 euro. Already have case. Watercooler and GPU.
How bad did I fuck up?

Attached: _20190723_174059.jpg (1080x1394, 158K)

it's just that i hear so often that xmp "never works" even with expensive ram and here i am mixing 2 brands that people here tell everyone to avoid and it worked without any hassle

>Zen2
>Non-x570 MSI motherboard
It's like you don't value your time

>$630 for a GPU that's only 10-15% better than a $400 GPU
Yeah those 15% don't make a difference now but, as anyone who bought a 980 instead of a 980Ti will be able to tell you, that is the difference between upgrading 1-2 years later. A 980Ti today is on the level of 2060S or 2070 which is fine at 1440p/ultra if you can live with dips below 60 or you knock down a couple settings and get 60+. Even in 4 years a 2080S will still be good but a 5700XT or 2070 will have to be replaced in 3.

tell me
do the problems with high voltage and high temps of zen 2 exist with zen+?

considering going 2600 and then 3700x in a couple of year

Attached: 1563118945558.png (775x1024, 93K)

It's 13:45 and I'm at work
I don't think I accidentally cut a cable with a tool I was using but I would like to leave "disassembling the PC and cutting the zipties just to check the cables" at the end of the checklist

I'm on cement floor and the case sits on a plastic bench

Wrong. The low end mobos of other brands don't have heatsinks on the VRMs at all while the Gigabyte has one on half the vrms

does anyone have any suggestions to keep my room cool?
my pc slowly heats up my room, which is normal, problem is I live in a desert so its usually hot

I hope you didn't get dual rank 16gb sticks

Stop trolling.

Nope. It's psyops by intcels.

Is the RX480 8gb Sapphire Nitro+ OC a good deal at 120$? since cheapest RX570 8gb is at least 180$.

Air conditioning

what the fuck happened to NVME and RAM prices? last year they were like double/triple this price.

You stop trolling

WD is a bit more reliable than Seagate

are you talking about the zen2 issues that are a psyops or the zen+ issues that are a psyops?

1. Keep your pc in another room and use long cables for display/human interface devices.

2. Build a low power pc that is good enough

You know something people say lamps and pcs hear the room up but I could never notice it myself

crypto niggers

>does anyone have any suggestions to keep my room cool?
AC

>Buying a real copy of Windows 8.1
Never thought i'd see the day. I'd just crack it, or get a key from eBay for $4