Fug it i'm making an OS

Jow Forums I want to challenge myself and want to make an dead-simple operating system for fun. I don't wanna run it on real hardware, I'll just use qemu for now.

I'm good at x86 assembly and C so that's what it'll be written in.

I want it to be the antithesis of bloat, and expect the user to know what they are doing. I'll post the repo if anyone wants it.

Advice for OS name and features? Just general ideas thread.

Attached: qemu.jpg (650x400, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/cfenollosa/os-tutorial/tree/master/01-bootsector-barebones
github.com/RazeLighter777/MAOS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll make the logo!

Make it use some sane filesystem like btrfs.

you have to start with a name and a logo my dude

this is the kind of project where you get about 10% of the way in and realise that it's fucking massive undertaking, even if you take as many design shortcuts as possible, and then give up

Here is boot sector. Just copied from here: github.com/cfenollosa/os-tutorial/tree/master/01-bootsector-barebones

Attached: 2019-07-23-150532_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 215K)

I don't care. Just gonna try and have fun and learn :)

Eh. I'll do that if I get far. I just called it MyOS for now
A little early for that.

Make it as easy for black people to use as it will be for white people

If you really want to make a OS from ground up, I think it'd be cool at least to make it somehow to run applications from both BDS and Linux environments (that probably a feature to be later introduced in development). Other than that, make sure to have it as modable as possible so other users can add whatever blocks of OS functions they want to.
For name, MAOS (Modable Architecture Operating System). Good luck, pal!

Attached: yosho.png (271x274, 15K)

User friendliness not something I can do. Making an OS is already a massive project

start by checking xv6, it's x86 port of unix v6. has a good documentation and very small

See if you can make something like a modern C64, except it uses your preferred language and maybe some built in tui tools

A little ambitious for now. I'll probably aim for getting musl and clang working first.
I'll take the name though.

Alright. Here. I got it to boot and print it's name

Attached: 2019-07-23-151939_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 142K)

Honestly, I don't know even know what is the base of an os? Input output I guess?

My kinda guy :)
Good luck user!

Boot Sector. I already got the terminal working.
I'll post the repo in a few minutes.

The global descriptor table and interrupt table. Also could you post the git or something? Gluck, I went down that rabbithole myself

Attached: paracetamol.jpg (1080x967, 115K)

No security?

Attached: Screen_Shot_20190508_at_10.37.07.jpg (1648x930, 167K)

Gotcha.
github.com/RazeLighter777/MAOS

Well, good job! Could I have your contact so you can announce me if you've done significant progress?

I posted the repo on github. I'll put you in the CONTRIBUTORS if you want.

Ive tried making an OS before. UEFI is a lifechanger in these situations; i recommend using it over BIOS.

Wait, I forgot about the repo. Also you don't have to.

Noted. I'll consider it if its not much harder

I got basic string printing functions!

Attached: 2019-07-23-155839_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 210K)

its easier, and it has documentation. see osdev's uefi bare bones tutorial

Are you just being le RaNdOm with the win 95 theme? What's the deal?

allow folders with metadata based file tagging or whatever, such that every item in that folder can be in multiple categories called in the same way as a normal filepath (ofc you can't name a tag the same thing as a folder in that folder) but this is a good feature, especially for autists with 6bn images or whatever

Name it Dookie OS

No.
It's just comfy idk

That would probably have to be done at a userspace level. Sounds cool though. But I don't want to get ahead of myself yet.

I say this because it is a problem I encounter often. I have two versions of this album, one is "remastered" which just means there are some new songs in places of others, but to use this effectively with a music player requires two copies of most of the files
I suppose look at people's complaints with UNIX/linux/whatever if you're doing a UNIX-like system

Make an interpreted OS kinda like Emacs.
That would be more exciting user.

Make TempleOS 2

I'm not worthy.
Ehh. Not a big emacs fan, or an interpreted language fan.
This can be handled in userspace, there is nothing wrong with the posix heirarchy. It just needs good software.

make it so all programs need to be written in assembler

>I'm good at x86 assembly and C so that's what it'll be written in.

OP confirmed white.

>I'm good at x86 assembly and C so that's what it'll be written in.
So it's going to be x86 only?

How’s it coming along OP?

People of color know how to code too!

Attached: IMG_1274.jpg (683x1024, 116K)

I recommend you to look at different types of kernels, user. I'm currently reading about exokernel design, and developing the kernel with fasm, the other stuff with ada. Good luck.

CockOS

Minimal OS. Logo can me a simple 'M.'

McDonald's OS. I like your style