Discuss

Discuss.

Attached: slaxxxxxxxxxxxx (1).jpg (256x256, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

people.salixos.org/gapan/live/README_INSTALL_ON_USB.TXT
youtube.com/watch?v=nhSHH8pY6uw
voidlinux.org/news/2018/05/serious-issues.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unironically still one of the best distros around, and absolutely the best non-systemd distro. People who complain about package management need to check out USM and slapt-get. People who complain about lack of packages need to realize there are tons of additional repositories you can add. Slackware was the first linux distro many people tried out, and it is a bullwark against the rising tide of systemd.

>no package manager
in the trash it goes

>Systemd is bad
It's all so tiresome.

Distro with a considerable pedigree and still holding its own against the systemd crowd.

Jow Forums doesn't seem that interested probably because it's got more old school principles, unlike Debian which sold itself down the fucking river. Mind you, Debian seems to be slightly losing popularity of late here.

pkgtools is a package manager, you fucking idiot. It's a low level package manager, or is that too hard for you?

i.e. "I don't understand why systemd is bad".

ie "I don't understand what systemd accomplishes"

>help i don't know how to install a different package manager!!!
slackware is unironically the best and most stable distro i've used, same install for 18 months now, nothing ever breaks.
lack of systemd and proper configuration makes it boot in 3 seconds on my shitty 2011 macbook

Running current here, buttery smooth sir

USM and slapt-get are great, and they resolve dependencies. There are more as well.

It's objectively shit, and it's not a good replacement for a lot of the services it's gobbling up. If it worked properly it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it doesn't, and it often breaks crucial stuff.

Plus: boots shit quicker
Minus: massive attack surface, badly coded, unstable, untrustworthy, even Poettering admits it's the "core OS".

i kinda wanna try slack after i saw it in mister robot, but also because it's the only thing more stable then debian, which is my current basis

Are there distros of slack like there are of debian?

Fast and rock solid stability.

>Are there distros of slack like there are of debian?

What do you mean?

It accomplishes being an inefficient init system while attempting to replace myriad basic functions throughout the OS with its own poorly implemented ones. It accomplishes preventing millions of users from properly hibernating their machines, from using dnssec, from resolving host names quickly (and sometimes at all), from utilizing upnp should they so choose, and many other things. It is not stable. It is not resource-efficient, and it is a gigantic bug-ridden mess.

This is true. Most stable OS I've ever used.

There's Salix and Slackel. Both are actually quite good (but the latter only seems to be focused on the openbox ISOs). Salix is certainly worth trying out if you're afraid of mainlining slackware.

Slackware is also the basis of the two best portable distros, Porteus and Slax.

slax is debian based these days

Motherfuck! That sucks. I switched to Porteus from Slax years ago for my portable distro needs. Didn't realize.

Oh I understand.

Salix is a great way to start. Quite easy to install and manages depends for you.

Or you could jump straight into Slack on a VM and go from there.

Yeah the dev is an idiot. Said "Slax will always be based off Slackware, whatever happens". Then switched to Debian because it was easier.

slackware sucked in 1994
it still sucks now

I jumped straight from win7 to vanilla slackware and didnt even look back.
Literally my first real linux and package management is piss easy with sbopkg.
I also screwed my multilib install and easily unfucked it by restoring the packages via the install cd/usb, it doesnt get any simpler than that.

Good work, user. I couldn't go straight from W7 to Slack. I went to Ubuntu first.

Attached: 1541771585928.png (750x1334, 700K)

I'll take a look at Oirteus and salix, maybe slackel

Is there any security distros?

slackware on its own is pretty secure

Like pentesting distros? No. But those are mostly memes anyway, as you can just use those tools on any distro. Salix (if you don't mind Xfce OOTB) is probably the best way to get comfy with using slackware as a daily driver. Porteus is best if you're only going to shove it on a USB (it also includes handy package management tools like Salix and Slackel). Once you get slackware / a slackware-based setup the way you like, you'll understand why it's still around after all these years. It is maximum fucking comfy and stable, and it offers the user unparalleled control over their machine without having to resort to compiling everything from source.

Yes don't be scared. Go for Salix and/or jump straight into Slackware. Porteus is only for USBs.

The phrase "once you Slack you never go back" doesn't exist for nothing. It's the most stable distro with the most intelligent community.

(((systemd))) shills BTFO
Salix is based on Debian right now. Slackel only option left

>comes with literally everything and the kitchen sink

>Salix is based on Debian right now.

No. Slax is. Salix is based on Slackware.

Is this a good distro to install on an old laptop that I intend to use for simple tasks?

Yeah, the base with fluxbox/blackbox/windowmaker is like 88mb ram total.

Yes. Depends how old though, as you have to compile stuff if you want third party packages.

Mind you, I run it on an Atom and it's fine. Just be sure to use Alien BOB's binaries for things like Libre Office, qt5 etc.

do i need to follow this if i want to burn the iso to usb ?
people.salixos.org/gapan/live/README_INSTALL_ON_USB.TXT

why not simply using dd?

What are your thoughts on Gentoo?
Also doesn't Slackware not receive updates anymore and is approaching EOL?

Slackware has the Current distribution that tests packages that will go in the next release whenever its ready.
Its like rolling release but you dont have to tell your mom to cancel all of your evening meeting whenever you update.

>What are your thoughts on Gentoo?
perfectly fine if you like compiling most stuff from source.

>doesn't Slackware not receive updates anymore and is approaching EOL?
whoever told you this was lying through his teeth. slackware is frequently updated, actively maintained and improved, by the main dev and a thriving community.

stable 14.2 still receives updates
-current receives updates every day.

Watch this

youtube.com/watch?v=nhSHH8pY6uw

No, get VOID.

What's the difference between slack and void?

Slack is made by a chad and is one of the oldest linux distros available and VOID is made by a tranny so you have about a 40% chance the distro dies sometime in the future.

Didn't he abandon Void and went AWOL for two months or something?

university project toy
cringe

Did he?

voidlinux.org/news/2018/05/serious-issues.html

Oh fug, I was only half joking when I said that.

Maybe I just don't understand, but Slackware seems much too cobbled together for me. They recommend a full install (every package on the install disk) instead of dependency resolution. I'm not a "muh minimalism?" autist but this still seems wrong to me.

Running void on a T420. Everything works out of the box. Couldn't be happier.

I want to install salix but the last iso is from 2017
what should I do?

Grab the one that says current

is there salix current?

>stable release has KDE4
>current is unstable
>no native package management
>cringe Subgenius iconography

Attached: 1725703_1.jpg (630x630, 88K)

It has a package manager. And the pkg manager is pretty good. It doesnt get in your way and it works. What more can you want(besides dependency handling)

I like how void uses musl, runit and libressl. I, however, do not run it on any of my systems. This is because I can get musl, runit and libressl to work on gentoo and I run OpenBSD on my laptop

Using Slackware as my daily driver, and have been since 2014.
>>no package manager
>the first distro to ever have a package manager doesn't have a package manager
Do you really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?
>university project toy
You say that, but it's the most stable daily driver I've ever used short of NetBSD or Windows 2000.
>>stable release has KDE4
KDE4's final version is stable as fuck after all the bugs got ironed out. If you wanna use KDE5 you can feel free to install AlienBob's packages for it.
>>current is unstable
I've been using current for a few months now on one of my PC's and I haven't had a single issue with it.
>>no native package management
What are pkgtools? If you can't deal with it, you always have the freedom to duct tape pkgsrc to it.
>>cringe Subgenius iconography
shit taste

Attached: 2019-07-23-203911_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 2.54M)

based

slackware
lives

They recommend a full install. You don't have to do the full install, you can choose your package sets if you know what you're doing.

If you don't know what you're doing, what is 10GB these days for / with hard disk sizes being what they are? OK that's 5GB more than a default Ubuntu install of whatever, but the stability and control you get is unparalleled [by the way a default Mint install with all the 3rd party shit comes to between 10-15GB].

In a short space of time superior to SLS. Oh wait, you haven't heard of that.

And this was before Debian. Could you write such a 'toy' and surpass the 1st gen OS it was based on?

Install Slackware 14.2. Just go for it. Look on Youtube for install help videos.

I'd recommend doing it in a VM first. You might break it the first time.