Why did they kill hardware accelerated audio?

Why did they kill hardware accelerated audio?

Attached: tonypost.png (1406x979, 368K)

no need for it, since audio can be processed by a graphics card or any other co-processor. Dedicated hardware acceleration became unnecessary

Didn't they bring it back in W10?

>audio
>graphics card

2 reasons.
CPUs became fast enough where all audio processing could be preformed in software at trivial CPU time.
Also, audio drivers from Creative and Realtek were horrifyingly bad, would cause a lot of system instability that MS would get the blame for. MS partially pulled away accelerated audio due to vendors never fixing their shit even over an entire decade.

Because I don't want my audio to speed up, dumbass it would sound like shit

he's right and a gpu can decode/encode audio.

why would you need a separate piece of hardware (that costs money) to do something that doesn't require heaps of processing power that can be achieved by all modern cpus and gpus?

>muh audiophile
i still dont get why people need audio cards unless you are a hardcore producer or need some powerfull shit to run some headsets.

Cards are still produced tho. They just are in motherboards.

I think a lot of it came down to Creative labs.
From what I hear A3D cards were seriously badass, but they were put out of business by a bogus lawsuit. Aureal won, but had to declare bankruptcy because the lawsuit had cost so much.

So then came sensaura. They had some interesting tech, although not as good as A3D. Creative bought them out and didn't use their IP.

So in the end it was just creative and passive AC97 or HD audio codecs.

Microsoft removed hardware audio acceleration in windows vista to simplify the driver interface, and require less privileged code. You could still use it with openAL though.

I don't know. It's all rather depressing really. I'd love to have a modern descendant of an A3D card.

No. Windows 10 brought in spatial audio.

>still using my Xonar Essence STX that I bought for $150 10 years ago. It's now in it's third rig.

What do you use it with?
>eax
>openal
Do these still work?

And they're all not accelerated. Windows handles all of the real heavy lifting in software while the driver is now merely a encode/decoder for the DAC/ADC. Nothing about the actual sound rendering is done in the kernel level driver anymore. There is a reason why many sound drivers are just called "codecs" now.

how does a graphics card do audio over hdmi retard

still using audigy and kx drivers. it's pretty much the only reason i use windows. alsa kinda works with these cards but i never managed to get the dsp working. and pulseaudio is complete shit, it crashes immediately if i try to change channel setup anything other than 2.0 stereo.

AC'97 represent

why would you even need a gpu just use the cpu

Because they don't want us to know how real good spatial sound is like which will make us demand +128 core cpus at an affordable, consumer price

Because software mixing works well, so all you need is a basic ass DAC with a single channel.

To not get a fuckload of hiss, distortion and sky high output impedance ?