Computers You've Rehabilitated From Being Trashed

Here's this old iMac I got for free that was going to go to recycling hell and put linux in and gave it a new life.

Attached: mac.jpg (639x660, 310K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rodsbooks.com/refind/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>be based person
>have a mac
>put it in trash where every apple product belongs
>some fag goes dumpster diving
>removes it from trash
How could you fuck this up OP?

The hardware's still good and I put linux in it what's the problem?

was it before or after you downloaded this stock image.

Used a stock image because I don't have a camera. Infact I'm posting from it right now.

Did you install Linux over the existing OS? Or alongside it? I've got a barely used 27" inch iMac I was considering tossing, but if I can do this...maybe not.

If these were touch screen they'd make a good device to play music from.

I got a PPC G5 iMac that was a middle school's computer lab system. Bought it from a recycler who had it sitting on their shelves and couldn't find a buyer. Paid them $10 for it, came with a mouse and keyboard too. Replaced the dead optical drive, but a new HDD in it, resurfaced all the exterior plastic. I dual boot OSX and Ubuntu MATE on it.

If you have a FreeGeek in your area be sure to check them out. The one in Minneapolis is awesome.

I have an old laptop that has a cracked hinge/case and fucked up connection to the screen that caused it to go out depending on the angle. Decided to open it up, fix the connection with some basic soldering, and DIY the cracked hinge with a nut and bolt and contact cement.
Still use it when I have to go somewhere and packing my desktop isn't a decent option.

You can dual boot if you want I used this rodsbooks.com/refind/

I'd rather go full Linux if possible.I'm just worried about some potential Bios fuckery preventing that.

Oh I "think" you can do it by booting from a live cd it's like a key you gotta hold down to get the boot selection thing up.

Even macs deserved to be saved, if technology can have a purpose or be repurposed then it doesn't deserve to be thrown out.

fpbp

>I don't have a camera.
In what shithole you live?

Well it's more I'm just too neet poor to have anything better than a really old flip phone. But I'm job looking really..

Macs are toys, not technology.

Attached: 1551236220261.png (400x1650, 367K)

>IBM G5 powered all in one PC running Linux is a toy
Post your address. I'll actually meet you IRL and fight you.

t.spam nigger

Attached: 76A03E3B-100B-4CC0-A48F-A48831882EAB.jpg (1024x576, 52K)

A Nintendo DS can run linux, but it's still a toy.

why did you sign your post off like that? you retarded?
>76A03E3B-100B-4CC0-A48F-A(...).jpg
oh wait...

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1560206932624.gif (500x281, 1.6M)

first post based post
satania post based post

I saved this 1st gen intel macbook pro, the optical drive was broken and it would not boot from USB so it was binned I just put linux mint cinnamon 32bit on a 128gb ssd and it works great... its the workshop machine now

above is two Powerbook G4 i saved that run Ubuntu Mate PPC just dandy .... good

also my main 2011 Debian macbook air i got extremely cheap after with just a bad power cable and worn out battery :) 512gb SSD and new battery and Linux its perfection

im swimming in repurposed apple hardware running linux

Attached: IMG_8460.jpg (2448x3264, 1.77M)

Attached: 1561986591427.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

Apple's optical drives from that era were super prone to shitting the bed. I think it was the Magic Drive or something like that. Its incredibly rare to find a system from that era with one that both reads and writes still.
I have a couple salvaged Apple systems myself. I have a G5 iMac, and a 2015 MBA.

>G5 iMac
I always wondered how well those fared being tightly fit behind that screen.

The optical drives apple was using were just absurdly low quality, or they had some persistent firmware issue which bricked them after a set amount of time. I had to replace mine. My buddy has an intel powered iMac of the same body style, and his drive died the same way.
In each case it would still read CDs and some fully formatted DVDs, but they wouldn't read or write a blank disc. In some instances they would attempt to write a blank disc of very specific types, but there would always be something wrong with how they were closed upon completion.
Probably legitimate planned obsolescence since Apple never fixed the issue and it was absurdly widespread.

Apple's slot-loading optical drives (supermeme) have always been bad in my experience. The cube one went kaput while installing a Harry Potter game and ate the CD, then I got a mini with a drive that would refuse to read or write anything. My G5 tower hasn't given up on me yet, but I presume the iMac G5 got the same infamous slot-loading trash they put in the cube and the minis (the iMac G3 also had this problem if not mistaken).

95% of my computers are recycler rescues it's not all that exciting

those only topped out at 2.1 GHz
>Probably legitimate planned obsolescence since Apple never fixed the issue and it was absurdly widespread.
or just slot loaded drives doing what they do best and being trash

Get on my fucking level

Attached: IMG_20190707_150445.jpg (4032x3024, 2.56M)

Cringe.
Based.