/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1497634485889.jpg (464x339, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash.git/tree/src
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
rms.sexy
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/WHENCE
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=930572
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#whyorder
google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=what did ISIS stand for&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Previously:

First for BSD

>Install Windows 10 VM for work
>It runs like shit
What the fuck am i supposed to do?

Cuck

Not really, I have a girlfriend (female) and fuck her regularly

download a better conputer

Install a linux VM on a w10 machine of course
If you work then there's no reason to cripple yourself

What's with the rise in BSD interest on Jow Forums these days?
Not only that, but I feel GNU/linux itself is headed to shit, with coc and all the needless drama and whatnot
Can't we just ban Jow Forumstards on sight? They're causing all this anyhow

I did that before moving and it ran like shit. I'm not dual booting, im gonna have to buy a new computer

Idk man if I can work from my BSD machine then you certainly can on linux

I'm gonna need adobe for animations cause company is full of autismo boomers

is WinE an option?

>linux vm
>recommending windows
Get the fuck outta here.

Attached: 1527368214148.png (431x700, 412K)

I feel sorry for you user
Come work with databases, I haven't seen a GUI other than a browser and media player in maybe 3 years now

there is no bsd rise, nor is gnu/linux heading to shit
nice astroturfing through, faggot

GNU/Linux*

Whatever floats your boat, it's a free country

i haven't checked yet, im about to shoot myself, maybe i should buy a shitty computer from craigslist with windows
sounds based but these boomers are family friends and they pay me well despite being literal retards

I'm running my jetbrains ide and other GUI programs inside a vm with a DE. I want to change to a headless option.
I read that x forwarding is terrible for performance.
Is there anything better? And does it works really well like does it handles 'popup' / modal windows correctly? Alt+tab?

Ah in that case best of luck

how would you remove a part of the name of all files in the current directory (lets say i have the files topkek_1, topkek_2 and topkek_3, how would i rename them with one line to 1, 2 and 3?)

prename 's/topkek_//' *

also are you sure you need adobe whatever? if it's basic animations or whatever blender could be fine

should use mv -i to avoid accidentally overwriting files

for i in ./*; do mv "${i}" "${i//topkek_/}"; done

You're right. Thanks.

I want to build a dynamic command in a shell script using case switches. eval $command $args works, but how to do it correctly? I've read that eval should be avoided and I'm also unsure about quotes.

Arch linux is a nice OS but it is not simple at all.

what do you mean by simple?

That is the thing. What they think as "simple" is a pretty strange definition to the rest of the people.

yes, so what do you mean by simple?

Well, in this case, something free from unnecesary complications or unnecesary functions. The first I didn't find true, but the second I did.
I'm just saying they should change their motto.

Uncomplicated; taken by itself, with nothing added.
Without ornamentation; plain.
Free from duplicity; straightforward.

I can agree with all of them except: Uncomplicated and straightforward. The rest we can agree.

since they're both a version of Unix, does the Apple's MacOS fix the nothing-ever-works-properly GNU/Linux suffers from?

but those are all synonyms, more so on each line
let's not pretend that there's not a base "complexity" to computers either

Im not really sure "uncomplicated" and "with nothing added" are the same, user. At least in this case. I can vouch that Arch has literally nothing added unless you add it yourself, but this can make other processes more difficult or tiresome.

complications add up

Attached: 1563851332375.png (500x500, 127K)

>tips Fedora
>but F30 still has old Mesa packages
Maybe I shall go for a Copr Mesa-git package, I can't figure out why package maintainers at Fedora are so inert in upgrading those packages. Hell, F29 is still stuck at Mesa 18 for no reason.
Or shall I just jump to Rawhide?

They're not.

If you want continually up to date, why are you not using Tumbleweed/Arch/Void/etc? Sure, Fedora's probably the best point release distro for fresh packages, but it's still not going to be as good as a rolling release.

I went Balls Deep and installed Debian Cinnamon. Pretty happy so far, its my first full linux install. I've only done a Raspberry Pi install before.
I had to jump a few hurdles with the graphics, but I sorted it out.

Very best books on shell scripting? I want to read a really good book on the topic, no shitty beginner tutorials.

MacOS mostly suffers from paleolithic UNIX components, brain addled kernel programmers, and HFS+.

The TLDP bash manual is a renown classic.

>Tumbleweed
Yeah, maybe when I just upgrade my Battlestation from Zen to Zen3 I shall just go there.
I hate those Fedora guys for being so outdated in Mesa packages when they have lots of manpower to operate a fucking test week for a fucking already-stable 5.2 Kernel packages.

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash.git/tree/src

Here is your interjection:
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
And here are your rare stallmans: rms.sexy
Welcome home, fren and happy hacking.

Reposting from /sqt/ :
I can't make my fucking 5700xt work on ganoo/loonix. here's what I did: vanilla Ubuntu 18.04.2 install, apt update/upgrade, download drivers from AMD, extract and run install script as sudo, restart
After the reboot I still get no image on the monitor plugged into the card, AMDGPU modules show up as loaded
What am I doing wrong ?

Attached: 1563060225433.jpg (739x415, 45K)

GPU passthrough

$ wget -qO- git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/WHENCE | grep -Eci '(unknown|none|no source|all rights reserved|may not be modified)'

Attached: 1563931607777.png (659x603, 20K)

Is Deepin pretty okay as a DE? Or does it have chinese botnet shit in it? I'm basically looking for a DE with a dock that has a solid file manager, GNOME's file manager is shit and I've had enough.

The file manager is ok, crashed on me a couple times. The icons in the file chooser are a huge plus. It's an ok DE, although Deepin the distro is based on oldstable so the packages are quite stale. You're probably better off using KDE or Pantheon.

The reason I'm asking is because Manjaro has a Deepin spin, and I installed the GNOME version since I hadn't used an Arch based distro ever. Best linux experience I've had in a while. How is current KDe? Does it have a dock plugin/mode?

what the FUCK niggers, did anyone buy this fucking card, plz reply

Attached: IMG_20190717_151212.jpg (636x588, 35K)

KDE has really improved a lot since the early days of 4/5. They have thumbnails in the file picker, even works for Chrom* but Firefox needs to be patched and GTK apps use the GTK filepicker. They have a dock called Latte Dock, that can also be configured to act as a panel, and Kwin has nice blur effects just like Deepin.

I posted a screenshot of the blur effects combined with transparent widgets and Latte dock in panel mode here:

Linux/GNU*

What to do when the device is listed when you do lsusb but cannot see any networks with networkmanager?

What kind of internet enabled dildo is this?

>fresh install of the new debian stable
>run into a software breaking bug within the second session
I was told the Space Shuttles ran on Debian. Why is this allowed?
Also the bug tracker still is just a mailing list.
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=930572

How can I play videos stored on my desktop on my laptop? (through mpv, of course)

I just want to know how to make the adapter work

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#whyorder

What kind of adapter is this?

It's a wifi adapter I just want to know how to make it see networks, clearly the device is recognized

Sorry about asking my questions in a picture, it kept getting considered spam.
So I'm trying to get nginx to work on fedora 30; however I'm having a lot of issues understanding

for question 2, I added the instructions from the guide, in hopes that it makes more sense

Attached: again.png (1728x972, 41K)

I know this is kind of off-topic but does anyone else listen to eurobeat while ricing? fuck I even listen to eurobeat while playing games.

Also picture of the guide I used, because it keeps getting marked as spam

Attached: guide.png (1131x851, 270K)

What kind of wifi adapter is it? You're entering /sqt/ airspace.

huh? it's the simplest distro i've used

thanks for not cropping the picture, so i'm forced to open it elsewhere just so i can read it and write a reply at the same time

you can omit server_name, since you don't have one
it's mainly used so a server can serve multiple names (like the same server giving different content for "onedomain.com" and "anotherdomain.com", or subdomains like "stuff.onedomain.com" all being served from the same IP address)
since you don't have a dns name at all, you can't do anything with this

it's complicated to install

it deploys a small system, the base packages are a lot simpler than having a lot of preinstalled

so you can both be right

sounds offtopic but what should i listen to if i want to get into eurobeat

you'll have to set up some sort of file...sharing... are you using nautilus or another full featured file explorer? just mount it as ssh. if you're using a meme distro with no good file manager i'm sure you can do it over the command line

Arch isn't small. It's pretty bloated.

>it's complicated to install
it's really not
unless you consider anything that isn't a one-click express installer complicated
the only arch-specific parts about installing are pacstrap (couldn't be simpler than it is, and it works just like debians' debootstrap), and of course pacman, which is no more complicated than most package managers
everything else is standard tools, and the arch live iso comes with everything you'd possibly need

I don't think anyone here can answer you as no one would use old LTS Ubuntu with proprietary drivers when gaming on AMD GPU. And Navi support on Linux at this moment is virtually none in a general sense.
Check whether you connect your card by DisplayPort first because Freesync is not working on HDMI and this will mess you up. And disable 10bpp color output because no video compositor supports it right now.
Alternatively, find PPAs that provide:
-Kernel 5.3rc0 or above;
-Libdrm 2.4.99 or above; and
-most importantly, Mesa 19.2 (still on git-master instead of RC at this point)
and just install all of them.

why the fuck does KDE start to flash and flicker right out of the box? This shit is annoying and the only thing that fixes it is Ctrl+Alt+F12 after login.

listen, debian had an installer back in June 2005. If your distro can't do it (it's literally 2019, 2005+14) then they're pathetic.

No, copying and pasting obscure commands doesn't make you "1337", it's just tedious. Much nicer to provide you with a live environment so you can shitpost on Jow Forums during the install.

get a cheap gpu and passthrough the device to the vm, also get a cheap usb pci controller and also passthrough that. Now you have plug-n-play usb and near native performance.

arch used to have a step-through installer too, but nobody used it, so it fell out of maintainership
>copying and pasting obscure commands
arch never posed itself to be a distro for people new to linux
>it's just tedious. Much nicer to provide you with a live environment so you can shitpost on Jow Forums during the install.
just for shits and giggles, a few years ago i did a webm clip doing an installation in 4 minutes (double speed to fit in the 2 min limit)

Why the fuck is Linux STILL unable to do wifi right in 2019?

what's a good terminal emulator, not too bloated but with clipboard support?

why? what's wrong with it?

lxterminal-gtk2 werks for me

PSA:
You probably don't need tmux. Your window manager does the same thing, and it's much easier to use.

try using your wm to manage a remote machine, or resume/share a session with multiple clients
having multiple 'windows' in tmux is only one small reason to use tmux

based. multiplexers, especially with a tiling window manager, are bloat.

>you probably don't need ssh, just use xterm lol

try this google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=what did ISIS stand for&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
if it still doesn't work, i don't fucking know

xterm
vte-based ones are slow

I did all of that, I even purged and reinstalled the reccomended NVIDIA driver too. This is such bullshit

>time urxvt -e seq 0 99999
>0.161s
>time xterm -e seq 0 99999
>34.748s
why?

they take 0.14 and 1.00 seconds for me with xrdb cleared
xrdb /dev/null

>get a brand new server setup
>set up bootable raid array
>efi partition must be fat32
>ok that's bullshit but whatever
>run efi volume in raid-1 so all drives have the same copy of the partition and any one can start the boot process in case of hardware failure
>works at first
>then the motherboard uefi randomly decides to write stuff to one of the drives
>corrupts the efi volume and renders it unbootable
Fuck all this amateur hour clown vomit firmware, I want the BIOS+GPT back.

yeah this happened to me a while ago and I never figured it out, just switch to OB or XFCE

the space shuttles probably run on oldstable

The terminus font is making it slow, for some reason. Ubuntu mono, misc fixed, and go mono take 2-4 seconds.

fixed by enabling fastScroll

Any tips on ricing Kubuntu? I want anime girls on my desktop to redirect to my proton mail.

any Void users here? is it active at all?

wifi belongs in a trash can
use ethernet cable