All laptops are shit

>fans don't make too much noise but case gets hot as shit and can't be used as laptop
>case stays nice and cool, fans are quiet but the display is TN with PWM
>decent display but the touchpad and keyboard are utter shit
>touchpad and keyboard are good but the build quality is the absolute worst
>nice and tight all metal body but the battery runs out in 2 hours doing basic shit
>greatest battery life of all time but the laptop weighs 12 pounds and the screen hinge is floppy
>laptop doesn't weigh too much but it's 5 inches thick
>perfect dimensions but fans sound like a jet engine while doing minimal activity and lowering the fan speeds causes the laptop to overheat
>laptop a has 1 less flaw than laptop b but costs $1,000+ extra
>perfect battery life, display, build quality, quiet, lightweight but the performance metrics are all crap; one ram slot saudered on, terrible CPU and GPU, some shit realtek nic, saudered on 32gb MMC storage
>device would be nearly perfect but can't be configured below a bunch of ridiculously overpowered specs and thus costs way more than desired
>"fuck it i'll just get a cheap pos lappy" still costs over half of anything decent
>"i'll buy used" battery dies immediately, saudered on or replacements cost a fortune

Attached: 1554109876136.jpg (680x670, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/096032718902100102
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fuck your blog post but that image kek

>saudered

Horses for courses
Cheap
Good display
Performance
Lightweight
Pick three

>good display, performance, lightweight
>sounds like a jet engine at all times, all plastic body that creaks and cracks from light use, worst keyboard of all time, battery dies in 30 minutes of notepad use
that'll be $3000 sir

Depends on how you define performance.
If you need a 9900k and 2080 for performance, then yeah it will be around 3k.
If you're fine with a basic perfomance laptop that is a 2060 but still desktop socket, it's way way less than that.

Ill be back. Dont let this thread die. Ill show you how to solve this problem

I've been looking for 3 weeks now and its just fucked. I have never been so frustrated just trying to buy a device

just buy a 200$ 14 nm second hand and put a IPS
display

buy thinkpad p50/51/52, t480/580 with big heatpipe, or literally any non-S thinkpad

used t440p/w540 too

Get a 4gb ram tablet and bt keyboard, laptops have been getting worse since the 2008 peak.

Get termux for the tablet, and root the tablet.

once i was drunk and trying to solder my new IEM plugs and took a inhaled a huge cloud of solder. i was drunk so i dont remember how i felt. makes me wonder how many years that took off my life.

This new flux I got smells like citrus. I don't know whether to be happy because it actually smells nice or suspicious.

probably a new way to keep the chink slaves quiet until they drop dead

poor apu

>using battery mode unless absolutely necessary

X201 tablet without touchpad
You're done
Or import a Panasonic Let's Note from Japan.

Or, ultimate option:
Get an X201 non-tablet without a touchpad/get an X200 palmrest for it,
Get a Let's Note used from japan that's broken but has a working 12" IPS 1920x1200 matte eDP LCD,
Get the X210 motherboard replacement/upgrade some people in China are making,
Put the 12" 16:10 panel from the Let's Note into the X201's shell,
Put the X210 motherboard into the X210's shell

You now have a high performance, modern PC with an IPS panel, 16:10 aspect ratio, 1920x1200 display, no cancerous touchpad, a fantastic keyboard layout, lit keys (thinklight), and USB 3.1.

(the X210 board has an eDP connector on-board, where the X201 board only has LVDS)

This!
OPjust get a t440p thinkpd.
Add some ram, ssd and maybe upgrade screen and cpu too.

Enjoy your shitty keyboard and 16:9 shitty display
And your touchpad that you can't delete from the case and replace with an empty palmrest

>saudered on
Is this Educated American for "soldered"?
And, yes, the "l" is sounded.

It's sol-der, not sodder.
Fucking mumble mouths.

>saudered

Is it ok for gaymen? Because it seems like it only has iGPU.

>temp problems
re-paste
>battery problems
undervolt

any more questions brainlet

IDK what games you play, but it's fine for me because I'm not gay
I could emulate a Wii on it, and that's enough for me

Couldn't you just get that ASUS laptop with liquid?

Attached: 123456745454.jpg (4092x2446, 2.19M)

please learn to make a bait people will actually fall for

Attached: Konata_15.png (263x263, 94K)

that being said, t440 is pretty shit compared to the older thinkpads. just get t420 or w520 and call it a day

Why shouldn't I breathe those fumes???

lead poisoning

oh look babby just learned to undervolt and apply thermal compound and thinks it solves anything lmao

the image was me fixing my 1970s beyers last week.

fucking leaded solder straight to the brain

>using a laptop for anything but battery mode
that's what a desktop is for

*sawdered-'d
fixed

Sounds to me like you're looking for a T480

>complain about battery life and cpu temperatures
>doesnt do the most basic braindead easy fix

lmao

>he still thinks he's being informative
I tune everything I own. Voltages and thermal paste never solve the problem. They help but not a solution 99% of the time.

MacBook Retina are literally the best laptops. Get a late 2015 model from ebay.

Wost laptop I've ever had. Burns your laps, freezes them in winter, fan sounds like a jet engine, glossy screen is useless in daylight on summer, and on top of that the OS is terrible.

I've never had an issue. Also using any screen in daylight doesn't work you fucking retard.

behold, the solutions to all your problems.
1. powerful external fan to provide super duper cooling action colder than the underside of Antarctica.
2. a laptop from walmart. made only using the best chinamen hands.
3. not so discrete afterglow headphones. Able to block out up to 25% of foreign sound waves, and vise versa. Comes with color changing action.
I also have a mouse.

Attached: 67304647_497118324358045_8704178669079232512_n.jpg (2016x980, 112K)

My Dell works fine because they actually manufacture anti-glare screens, can you believe that??

This thread made me curious about undervolting.

Haven't been able to make it unstable so far and reduced throttling after extensive load by like 400MHz fuck should have done this day 1.

Laptops are the biggest meme of all time, especially now that smartphones exist and if you're just looking to consume content or shitpost while sitting on the couch, your phone already does that. Unless you absolutely NEED one because your job requires you to be constantly on the move or something, I'd say don't even bother.

Spoken like somebody who has no fucking idea what he's talking about.

>having a full-powered PC
>using it at a chair
>using it in bed
>taking it to work
>using it at public transport
>looking up recipes while cooking
>using it with an external monitor and a mouse so it's just like a desktop

Tell me, other than gaymen, what advantages does a tower PC have over a laptop?

Not him, but I'll say expandability.
You can add lots of expansion cards to your tower, something you'd never be able to do with a lappy.

OP are you me?
Also coil whine. Fucking hell it makes me wanna snap. Why is QC so shit everywhere?

COIL WHINE NIGGER

(nice trips tho)

>>having a full-powered PC
laptops are not full-powered PCs
>>using it at a chair
You can do this with a phone
>>using it in bed
>>taking it to work
I already said "unless you absolutely need one because your job requires"
>>using it at public transport
>>looking up recipes while cooking
>>using it with an external monitor and a mouse so it's just like a desktop
Just use a desktop

Laptop form factor is shit

>You can do this with a phone
Ah yes, a smartphone pleb. You can do everything on a phone, have fun.

If you have actual work to be done, just turn on your desktop. For shitposting on public transit or looking up recipes while cooking, just use your phone. If your job needs a laptop, then get a laptop. Simple as.

Mystery solved, you don't actually like using computers for anything other than shitposting, unless you're forced to for work.

I'm surprised you're not recommending a tablet. They seem right up your alley.

>Mystery solved, you don't actually like using computers for anything other than shitposting, unless you're forced to for work.
See and try actually reading this time
If you're just consuming content, phone is all you need when away from your desktop. If you have something to actually do, use your desktop. What's so hard to understand about this?

Yeah, let me just take my tower to the train. Let me just use my tower in bed or outside.

Use your phone. If you have actual work to do, use your desktop. If your job requires you to work on the go, then get a laptop. Once again, what part of this are you not understand.

And if I want to do something else than browse facebook in those situations? How stupid are you?

Then use your desktop. If you are actually, unironically doing REAL work on a train, then as I said before, that's one of the few instances where a laptop would be acceptable. But we all know that for 99.9% of people, that's not the case.

>Then use your desktop
If the laptop has enough power then it's more convenient, simple as that.

>I want a PERFECT laptop in every metric
>Quiet, powerful
>But I don't want to spend a lot of money >:(

Cheap, Powerful, Quiet

Choose 2 or be prepared to spend out the ass.

I feel your pain OP, been after a new laptop for over a year now and still can't find one I'm prepared to buy. My personal sore point is:
>GTX 2080 Max-Q with 1080p 144Hz, or 4K 60Hz
WHY CAN I NOT HAVE A 1440p PANEL
Also everything with specs remotely near to what I want looks like a 90's cartoon spaceship

Based

>tfw every new laptop on the market is slimbody
i just want the old bulky thinkpad design but with modern specs

Attached: crying at computer.gif (500x373, 1019K)

>gaming laptop
lol enjoy those thermals

didnt really think that throught huh?

blame that shitty mindless mentality that the laptops needs to be thin at all costs

fuck that bullshit. i just want an laptop that have firm build quality, a nice 16:10 screen and keyboard and that doesnt thermal throttle like shit

ABSOLUTELY DONT CARE if it was thick or not

maybe she isnt crying, shes just finished laughing at you and your lack of optimism. chin up user.

Agreed. I've said this before, but thinness is a meme. Only the length and width actually matter. Being an extra cm thicker doesn't make a damn difference in terms of how much space it takes up to use/store/pack/carry, but makes a ton of difference in terms of what hardware you can have, what I/O you get, whether the thing can properly cool itself, whether you get any modularity/replaceable parts, etc. Being thinner provides no actual real-world benefit other than being able to say "ooooh look how thin it is! I can fit it in an envelope like in that ebin apple commercial xD"

the point is not to be thin at all costs and nobdody ever said that but this
>ABSOLUTELY DONT CARE if it was thick or not
no.

you can't even buy a perfect laptop
they're all shit

>display is TN with PWM
LCD panel is responisble for generating PWM for backlight. Get AUO or LG panel.
But yes, sometimes I think they have some sort of conspiracy going on and they make products shitty deliberately,

Using smartphone is like using penis to cut bread.
Even watching fucking video on jewtube is a pain.

second for p52

There are AUO and LG panels that use PWM. The shitty thing is the ones that use PWM below a %brightness because I like to keep my display pretty dim. I've seen numerous backlights that do this. I can't believe PWM is still being used for anything. It's fucking garbage. DC backlights get just as good or better battery than it. PWM should be against the law.

>PWM below 50 brightness
into the trash it goes

Get an hp envy x360 it literally has no downside. For a budget get a thinkpad x250 with the ips display.

>There are AUO and LG panels that use PWM
They do, but I don't consider PWM a PWM if its frequency is higer than 5 kHz.
> DC backlights get just as good or better battery than it.
It is hard to do, because panel is thin, and you can't fit caps there. And you can't switch fast (so you would need smaller caps) because trannies are kinda shitty at switching at high speed which makes them as hot as linear shit.
>PWM should be against the law.
Low frequency shit you get on Samsung or whatever chinks make them should be really illegal. Fucking 130 Hz PWM. I fucking see flicker with bare eye.
>The shitty thing is the ones that use PWM below a %brightness because I like to keep my display pretty dim
You don't really see PWM at high duty cycles, PWM is still there.

>They do, but I don't consider PWM a PWM if its frequency is higer than 5 kHz.
All PWM irritates my eyes and gives me headaches. Higher frequencies seems to make it worse, actually.
>It is hard to do, because panel is thin, and you can't fit caps there. And you can't switch fast (so you would need smaller caps) because trannies are kinda shitty at switching at high speed which makes them as hot as linear shit.
The laptop doesn't need to be paper thin. There are plenty of adequate spec laptops that use no PWM but unfortunately they all have other problems.
>Low frequency shit you get on Samsung or whatever chinks make them should be really illegal. Fucking 130 Hz PWM. I fucking see flicker with bare eye.
>You don't really see PWM at high duty cycles, PWM is still there.
I couldn't care less about visible flicker.
The physical side effects are a health hazard.
Seeing flicker doesn't bother me at all.

>All PWM irritates my eyes and gives me headaches. Higher frequencies seems to make it worse, actually.
You can't see kilohertz. You can only hear them.
Also LEDs have some "inercia" in them, but compared to CCFL (which ran at kHz, yet nobody complained) it is much smaller.
>The laptop doesn't need to be paper thin. There are plenty of adequate spec laptops that use no PWM but unfortunately they all have other problems.
It is not about thickness, but about standards. Back in the day CCFL inverter was a part of laptop, since lamps were identical in different panels. With LEDs, every manufacturer has different arrangement, which means they can't be connected to laptop anymore, thus they have to connect to LCD panel board, which has all needful parts to drive their non-standard LED back light and laptop only says "how much". Having caps will require screen to be 1 cm thick, which is kinda too much, since old CCFL screens were thinner, and main benefit of LEDs was thinness.
>I couldn't care less about visible flicker.
I can. Literally, I move mouse and I see flicker, not even fucking finger.
Rule of thumb, if you can't see flicker with pencil trick, it won't affect your physical health.

>he fell for the pwm myth

>Rule of thumb, if you can't see flicker with pencil trick, it won't affect your physical health
Your rule of thumb is not a rule. Physical ailments from ultra high frequency PWM are well documented. You do not need to see flicker to suffer from physical side effects from it.

BTW, you can use solar panel and headphones to actually hear PWM without oscilloscope.

Low frequency is dangerous. High - not really, we ignore it.
In any case, links on research are desired

I don't have time to dig up all I've gathered over the years right now but a cursory search immediately shows this
>When compared to regular fluorescent lights with magnetic ballasts, the use of high frequency electronic ballasts (20,000 Hz or higher) in fluorescent lights resulted in more than a 50% drop in complaints of eye strain and headaches

journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/096032718902100102

You may think this supportz what you said but it inadvertently does the opposite. A frequency of 20,000+hz still caused side effects in almost half the participants.

>PWM
This is the main reason that I still use an HTC 10. No pwm at all.
The last model they sell with no pwm is a U11.
Phone models with no pwm are harder to find in 2019 as well.

yeah but what about the lap part of the LAPtop

Poor CRI and poor spectrum had caused problems, not exactly frequency.
When I had fluorescent light in my shed, I wasted a lot of money on different bulbs, and only Osram 4000K didn't cause any eyestrain.
In LED era, everything is even worse. Chink LEDs make shitty pinkish color. Only LEDs that didn't drove me nuts are Philips 5000K ones.
Really, when it comes to eyestrain and accuracy, there is no alternative to incandescent bulbs, and God bless smartass manufacturers that sell them as "E27 illuminated (halogen) heater 100W" in era of bans. It is my fucking electricity, and it is my right to use good CRI bulb in my fucking desk lamp.

This brings me to another point why AUO and LG are better.
LG screens were used in macs, which means they are pretty color accurate and stuff, since Apple engineers are pretty good when it comes selecting screens.
AUO panels, in my opinion, are just as good, though they have more bluish tint in them.
Samsung panels are fucking garbage. I have no idea why do they cost that much. 180 Hz PWM, shitty colors, yuk. Even noname chink screens perform better sometimes.
Low frequency PWM in handheld devices is awful. There should be a designated pot for those engineers in hell

You dont need that. You crazy

>touchpad doesn't have physical buttons
I hate this fucking meme so much I'll have to get a gayming laptop to overcome this retarded normalfag trend

>Phone models with no pwm are harder to find in 2019 as well.
Some new Chinese phones have DC dimming which supposedly stops headaches but I think it also might make the color worse than just using an IPS screen without PWM.

y tho

P series Thinkpad user. Just bust out your wallet and get one.

You sound like a friend of mine.
He told me he was using two old-style light bulbs together as his lamp for reading and it was comfy.
But his mother kept switching off one of those two bulbs to save electricity.
The main flaw of his illuminating method was his mother.