Are tiling WMs a meme?

Are tiling WMs a meme?

Attached: i3-5.png (1399x1049, 200K)

They're for people who believe they're Dennis Nedry.

Attached: Dennis_nedry_bigbad.jpg (500x500, 42K)

mice are a meme

No. You never have to worry about overlapping windows -- this may not matter for every use case (e.g. I almost always just fullscreen my web browser), but it's often enough very useful. Like, being able to just spam your terminal hotkey and have 3-4 terminals open that are neatly arranged is really nice.

More than that, tiling WMs have slightly more and slightly easier customization on average than floating WMs. It's mostly because tiling WMs are intended for power users; even the "ease" of customization is oddly enough explained by that, because you can pretty easily fuck your setup up in most tiling WMs by, e.g., accidentally disabling an important hotkey. But the upside is that, once you get a nice feel for your system, everything is very fast.

The other upside to both the customization and the default setups is security-through-obfuscation. In most cases with tiling WMs, you can just go to an empty workspace, and 99.99% of users with physical access won't be able to do anything more malicious than turn off your computer. Floating and mice-oriented WMs are intended to be easy to use with no training, so that means they're able to do more with basic access just using guesswork. In these cases, try not to imagine a truly malicious actor but rather some fumbling user, like a young child, a snooping friend/lover, etc.

especially helpful with social pressures: you never have to tell someone they aren't allowed access to your computer, because they won't be able to use it anyway.

I like i3. Using exclusively floating windows was a mess all the time and I don't ever want to go back.

have you tried growing a spine instead of ricing desktops?

good advice

They're efficient in theory but in reality you're trading in visual cleanness with keybinding mess especially when you use tmux within a tiling wm, many overlapping keybinds. At first these keybinds really hurt my fingers, my hand almost cramp during my first week using tiling wm. I have to set my keybind across my keyboard so it forces me to use two hands to distribute the muscle fatigue.

Floating wm might be a mess visually, mouse might be a hassle and slow but after rotating different tiling wm for like 2 years, I have to admit floating wm and mouse is more consistent universally, all mouse input across major DE behave the same, most keybind from xfce behave the same with windows e.g. alt+tab alt+f4. I just wish there's more consistent standards between different tiling wm.

>Tiling WM
Ripping out every page of a book and laying them out side by side.

>Stacking WM
Reading a book like a normal fucking book.

Attached: 1554309424664.jpg (750x745, 60K)

>Are tiling WMs a meme?
yes
they don't allow the flexibility that a windowing environment does
maybe if you are a low tasking toddler they might make sense or if your mother drank while she was pregnant
our computers are so powerful now; windowing helps us take advantage of it

They're okay but if you're dealing with a lot of documents they become a mess really quickly. Nice for some workflows (personal projects, ricing, looking like a super hacker) awful for others.

yes

tabs is where it's at

In the popular mindset, usability seems to be equated with what I'd call “approachability”, and from a certain background at that: that of someone brain-washed to the WIMP (Windows, Icons Menus and a Pointer, or Weakly Interacting Massive Program) paradigm all vis life. While approachability is by no means an undesirable feature, it is not the same concept as usability, and is likewise a subjective measure. Someone who has used unix all vis life has easier time approaching some programs than someone who has used WIMP programs all vis life. While the set of programs that are easily approachable for the unix user, can be quite bit larger than that of the WIMP-handicap, the former set is by no means inclusive of the latter; some of the WIMP interfaces can be quite baffling, even the purportedly simple ones.

What is this usability then? First of all, there's no absolute, universal usability; in practise there are only differing degrees of subjective usability. An interface is the more usable, the less unwanted effort it demands from me, the user. By this definition, the WIMP interface is quite unusable, subjectively for me, as I abhor tedious repetitive clicking and searching, and it is I who defines unwanted effort. In the WIMP interface, instead of an executive who gives high-level instructions, the user is reduced to an assembly line worker who must carry out the same task over and over. Maybe some people enjoy such assembly line work, enjoy being mindless automata – although I doubt their numbers are that many – and thus the WIMP interface can be quite usable for them. For me, however, it is not usable at all for most tasks of any scale.

Nah.
People have been telling me they are neckbeard tier for years, and yet here I am still using the same Xmonad configuration for almost 5 years, both at work and at home. It just works better than any floating wm I've tried.

There is zero reason to use tmux on a tiling wm.

What a stupid analogy.

What a great analogy.

Bro you just posted Cringe!
The only use for a tiling WM is to flip between two desktops: one with a fullscreen tmux session and another with a browser.

For me they are not
I work alot on a Notebook so being able to control everything with my keyboard is a godsend. Furthermore no DE I encountered (pls show me otherwise) was able to handle two monitors like I want. Namely being able to switch them seperately between workspaces. i3 handles that like a charm.

Install one, copy someones config for them and play around.

>switching between multiple workflows
>normal window manager: have multiple monitors, have to be at a desk and look between them, or just manually switch multiple windows over and over again with endless commands
>tiling window manager: super + number
>some normal window managers have "desktops" that tend to be much less flexible (ex. can't switch window desktop without mouse) and have more lag

>switch between a maximized main window and some reference windows next to it
>normal window manager: position windows manually, hunt for minimize button or desktop icon with mouse + click, repeat every time you want to switch back and forth, or see previous answer
>tiling window manager: super + m / super + t

>tile windows and untile windows
>normal window manager: super + (hunt for title bar + click + drag) / arrow keys, wait for lag, select secondary window, can only tile 2-4, hunt for maximize button to switch back, update tiling manually when changing windows
>tiling window manager: super + t / super + m

>enable floating mode permanently
>normal window manager: nope, out of your control
>tiling window manager: super + f

>disable title bar
>normal window manager: nope, out of your control
>tiling window manager: super + b

1/2

>switch back to last view
>normal window manager: nope, can only switch back to last window
>tiling window manager: alt + tab

>resize window
>normal window manager: hunt for window border, click and drag
>tiling window manager: super + (drag / h / l)

>label desktops
>customize window management keybindings
>customize window management behaviour
>create custom window layouts and behaviour
>automate window operations
>have application-specific window/desktop settings
>use tags instead of desktop/workplaces for even more control
>normal window manager: nope
>tiling window manager: yes

tl;dr - no lag, better control, less hunting for buttons and borders with your mouse, even easier to use. literally no reason not to use one unless if you're 80 IQ baby duck

They are.
They basically gave up the desktop metaphor to turn their computers into glorified tablets.
Ballmer would be proud.

Attached: windows-8.1-multi-metro-app-snapping.jpg (1920x1200, 291K)

Don't talk about things you have no idea about, it's painfully obvious and embarassing.

>Security through obscurity
Fucking lol. Just change TTY if you feel like it, 0/10 user. Floating WMs have workspaces too, are you retarded? Windows has workspaces

I just wanted to mention the TTY thing. You still need the credentials to get into a TTY though.

Yes, only ADHD zoomers use it. Something with lots of flashing on the screen for their dead attention.

Trouble keeping up old man?

Tiled windows management is for iToddlers like you.

Attached: 1396647378073.jpg (385x346, 26K)

>especially when you use tmux within a tiling wm
That's a user error. Why the fuck would you do that?

Just because it looks ridiculous doesn't mean it isn't suited for some people's workloads. I don't use a tiling WM because the desktop metaphor suits me better (I work with lots of office files) but someone who works with scripts and terminal apps will feel at ease with tiled windows.

a book would be a tabbed WM
a stacking WM would be more akin to ripping pages and stacking them, then when you read them you swap visible pages until you get the next page

When tiling is actually useful or handy, KDE and Cinnamon can tile windows.
And since most Jow Forumstards seem to be in love with terminal based apps in a tiling wm, you could just be using GNU screen or cuck tmux.