Just bought an acer X270HU 1440p/144hz IPS monitor do you guys think it's worth upgrading from a gtx 1080 to a 5700xt...

Just bought an acer X270HU 1440p/144hz IPS monitor do you guys think it's worth upgrading from a gtx 1080 to a 5700xt for native freesync support?

Attached: 5700XT-Stats.jpg (1723x953, 246K)

I don't know... If it performs the job better and does it all etc.. then maybe but since you already have got 1080, I'm not too sure it'll be worth the money upgrading it right there.

keep the 1080

I'm considering this for an upgrade to my 1070. If I had a 1080 I don't think I'd bother. Maybe a 2080...or justwait :)

Didn't the nv gpus get freesynch support via a driver update anyway?

freesync doesn't work properly in windowed mode / borderless windowed / windowed full screen so it's shit

You fucked up already by buying a new monitor without a GPU to match. Keep the 1080. It's not worth it this generation to upgrade. Don't mindlessly consume.

>upgrade
lol

>need windows 10
nah

>Should I stop sucking cocks to buy a new GPU that will give marginal performance improvements? - OP

No. Try freesync and see if it works on the 1080.
Otherwise wait for at least the 6700xt or however AMD's naming scheme works.

>400 dollars for a GPU with only a small increase in performance over what you already have
Dude, come on now. 5700xt looks like a pretty good value (when the AIBs come out... eventually) but if you already have a 1080 there is literally no reason to upgrade to anything for the foreseeable future.

5700 and 1080 are too similar to warrant an upgrade, just keep it, get new GPU in three or so years.

Even for 1070 it is not a huge upgrade unless you have 1440p monitor or higher.
1070 can easily do over 80fps in 1080p even on worst optimised games.

>worth upgrading from a gtx 1080 to a 5700xt for native freesync support?
since you're asking for opinion heres mine: don't upgrade now, sit on your 1080 until next gen which should drop by summer next year. also your 1080 CAN/WILL support freesync but you'll need to do some research for yourself if monitor is supported, nvidias shenanigans and so on..

and i doubt that the 5700XT will hit 144Hz on high on many titles, whats the freesync range for your monitor?
it really doesn't sound like a good upgrade or any upgrade at all for me, tho the 5700XT might be over 25% faster in many games

No, you start sucking cocks to save money for a new gpu.

/thread
new gen GPU's will be expensive af since newest process 7nm EUV from samsung for Nvidia and 7nm EUV from TSMC for AMD.

1440p? honestly if you have money to waste, get the 5700 xt, otherwise wait for a faster AMD card

Keep the 1080, I really struggle to see that as an upgrade, and definitely not a worthwhile one.

Thats a sidegrade, retard. Get a 2080s

amen brother, just pay $700 for a card that barely outperform a $500 2070s
just buy it, op

How big are the heating issues now? I know the design itself limits it but have drivers updated and helped? My r9 390 died and want to know if I should wait for the partner cards.

>native freesync support
look at benchmarks and see if there's really a difference

just wait™ for a bigger navi/rdna card

I have a 4k 60fps monitor but play most modern games in 1440p. I'm gonna use this 1070 for as long as I can then upgrade to the 5700xt most likely.

Wait for partners. Even a cheap asrock or xfx card will likely be better, and probably about the same price.

I would keep the 1080. Wait for 5950XT or 5850XT.
If I had a 1070 or below I would upgrade

But why "the american wall" design? Normal 5700 doesn't have this.

dented during shipping

I see your are a proud mongoloid.

All of them?

I wouldn’t, I’m using that latest Samsung 49” 5120x1440 120Hz monitor and still get40-50 FPS in bf5 with it maxed out, save your scheckles.

>Spend $700 for 8% more performance

A 1080 is still a great card to use. Personally I feel sceptical about the rx 5700 series. Yes they have the sharpening feature but I feel as though ray tracing is a big thing in the future. Do whatever you want but I'm saving for a 2060 super or a 2070

Wait for big navi.

sounds like a deal, goyim

raytracing is a meme, and when (eventually) stuff actually starts supporting it, it won't be with jewvidia's proprietary bullshit anyway. The entire RTX meme is nothing but nvidia tricking hipsters with too much money into forking it over.

Depends on what OS you use. Freesync on nvidia works great on windows and you can use similar sharpening to amd's through reshade if you want. I currently use a 1070 with a 4k monitor, and i'm considering switching to a 5700/xt once decent cards are available and drivers get where they should be, so i can go back to GNU/Linux without having to deal with proprietary GPU drivers. The 5700/xt looks like it doesn't quite cut it for 4k though, so i'll probably wait for a faster navi card and keep my 1070 for the time being.

Wait for partner cards, I just returned mine cause I got sick of the noise, but also because all I play is dota and cs go, so got a 1660ti instead which stays whisper quiet at full load.

Those partner cards need to hurry the fuck up.

For the 5700xt at least. The reference blower seems adequate for the 5700's heat output.

Even if it's technically stable, it's still a fucking blower card and there's zero reason to use one unless you're doing some sort of meme ITX build.
AMD really dropped the ball with this shit. Literally everyone is coming to the conclusion of "good card, great value, wait like 6 fucking weeks for the partner cards". All they're doing is shooting themselves in the foot, because all the wind will be out of their sails and they'll be old news by the time the 5700/xt are worthwhile to buy.

I was disappointed they didn't reuse a similar cooler to the radeon VII, as even with one fan removed, it would've both looked and performed better.

I prefer AMD all the way but you should wait a bit honestly unless you can find someone to buy that card ezpz.

wait for what?

Models with something other than a blower on it.

For a better card? Come on user. If it were not for Freesync or open source drivers I would not give a shit about AMD's graphics cards now. They are certainly not worth the time to upgrade unless they can get rid of the 1080 quick.

2070 Super?

that cooler looks expensive

What kind of third rate shop is Su running where they use dented models for reference pics???

It's art

It's a style thing

>1440p/144hz IPS monitor
>not a nixeus edg 2
>ficking Acer
You fucked up. Also get a 2070 super whenever the fuck scalpers get bored of buying them out, Nvidia supports gsync on freesync monitors now

> >2 ms response time
yikes

The upgrade is not really worth it. Do you like the screen?

I have a 75hz monitor with freesync and I still get tearing at 75fps so I have to cap it to 74fps in rtss because fresync is retarded like that.

Yes I do! colors are really nice coming from a TN 1080p monitor.

wasn't Radeon driver able to cap at a certain fps, assuming you got a AMD card. riva tuner adds a bit of latency somehow, at least for me

1. Unless I'm really mistaken, you can't actually have under 4ms which is why even 1ms monitors are listed as 1-4ms
2. The difference is so little even professional esports players wouldn't notice a difference. In case you forgot 1ms is a thousandth of a second

Either way the quality on the Dell and ASUS are far lower, the latter is also known as being a nightmare for quality control

yikes

>Nvidia supports gsync on freesync monitors now
Yeah on like 12 monitors.

what?

"officially"

They have a list of monitors validated "GoySync compatible", but all the freesync monitors i've tried, which are my own lg 27ud58 and a friend's viewsonic work perfectly fine, despite not being "validated". Also you can only use freesync through displayport.

The one that I have works like shit and makes everything fuzzy