Flash drives on Linux

Why formatting a flash drive on linux is such a fucking pain?

OK, I made a partition table, created a partition, formatted it, not I mount it only to find out that I cannot copy anything to it because it belongs to root and I'm not root. So I have to look up how change permissions and all that crap. I don't even know if a Windows PC will even recognize it.

WTF am I doing wrong? Am I a brainlet or you are suppose to go through this shit by design?

Attached: flashdrive.jpg (1200x697, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476185
youtu.be/vkdhnMkiFTE
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/18154/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-lostfound-folder-in-linux-and-unix
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that's just the linux experience
just install windows if you don't have severe autism

Reformatting stuff is fine on linux, kinda, the initial format of new hard drives and the like is an absolutely obnoxious pain though and I just load up my windows partition to do it there.

itt: complete retards that can't use computers

Always format flash drives as FAT or NTFS (with no attached owner information), never Linux file systems. Then, permissions depend on mount options. mount -o users,rw should do the trick.

Why the fuck didn’t you use the noob-proof gparted?

i do the exact opposite desu

/thread
Imagine having trouble with simple tasks.

>Am I a brainlet
yes
>or you are suppose to go through this shit by design?
you're doing it the asinine 'correct' way whose instructions should work universally on any linux distro, if you want something easy then you should use the disks utility provided by your desktop environment like gnome-disks or the one provided by your distro like mintsticks for linux mint, or use something like gparted if you're not using an easy distro

Gparted runs as root, which means I can only write to those partitions as root

formatting is an option that requires root, you can remount the filesystem under your user like says or if you used gparted to make a fat/ntfs partition then just remove and reinsert the usb stick once done and it'll mount under your user automatically with the correct permissions

>not format as f2fs

Now explain it like you're talking to someone with the mental capabilities of a cactus.

>I'm too stupid to even use Google after being given the search terms

lsblk
sudo mkfs.ntfs /dev/sdX1

create your FAT partition with gparted (NTFS only if you want to use it on windows desktops), once it's complete remove the usb from the machine, reinsert the usb and open it up using your file manager of choice, it should automatically mount under /run/media/youruser/ depending on your distro/desktop environment but if not most file managers will show it (gnome nautilus, kde dolphin, xfce file manager, etc, all will)

Doesn't work. I use script to mount usb drives

Just download GParted.

How the fuck is it supposed to help? I'm using fucking GParted, it runs a ROOT, therefore partitions it made and formatted belong to ROOT

Do

>needing scripts just to use a 'usb drive'
ha

*sigh* I'll try again: Partitions don't belong to anyone. If you create a FAT/NTFS filesystem then neither will the file system root. There is simply no owner/group information attached. That is as it should be.
HOWEVER, when you mount it, all directories/files in the filesystem receive owner/group information as determined by the mount options.
By default, you can only mount as root and unless you provide more command line options (or a line in /etc/fstab) all files will be owned by root.
This is (most likely, you're not giving us much) the problem you're running into. See mount(8) and fstab(5) for more information.

Just kidding, you won't know what (5) and (8) mean anyway. But you can type "man mount" and "man fstab" in the command line to get more info. Since this will be overwhelming for you: quit with "q".

I use dmenu scripts for a lot of stuff instead of deamons. I just want to understand how all this shit with mounting USB sticks on linux works instead of relying on daemons to do it I don't know how.

Unless you mean terminal linux
I find it a lot easier and with a lot more options to format drives on linux
On windows you need to download seperate programs to something simple lile formating a big flash drive or sd card into fat32

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/

I'm not THAT much of a brainlet. Those mount options don't change anything for me.
But, for some reason, if I format a flash drive under Windows, it works like a charm without any additional options. Just mount and it fucking works.

on linux even finding good music player or file manager is pain, imagine having zero menus or zero options to set up

>On windows you need to download seperate programs to something simple lile formating a big flash drive or sd card into fat32
kitty, this is why windows have software, because people care to deliver you tools, windows is not from that

>I find it a lot easier and with a lot more options to format drives on linux
I find the more options there are the less usable the program. But then, I don't dwell on details. I just get it done.

Ok, formatted as Fat32 with Gparted.

Reinserted.

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home/FlashDrive

cd /home/FlashDrive

touch 1

touch: cannot touch '1': permission denied

sudo chmod a+x /home/FlashDrive/

Its easier on Linux than Windows, which can't even see the device unless its exactly how it wants it

There is a tool called gnome-disks, it is reallt quite good for brainlests like you and me.

/thread

still permission denied

sudo chmod a+rwx /home/FlashDrive

nope. still permission denied

fdisk.

>if I format a flash drive under Windows, it works like a charm
Then you're messing up the partitioning/file system creation. Make sure you have the right partition type. It should be W95/FAT32 for FAT filesystems and HPFS/NTFS/exFAT for ntfs.

Other than that it's back to mount options.
>I'm not THAT much of a brainlet
We'll see, I guess.

ls -l /home/
what is the permission of the dir?

But if you use a modern distro all the basic utilities are already there on linux
You don't need to spend time downloading and installing random software once you have a fresh pc to set up
With that mindset you're just a brainlet
Of course good software would have a simple userfriendly interface for begginers and an option for power users

sudo chown user /home/flashdrive

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root

The absolute state of the Linux desktop experience

>Why formatting a flash drive on linux is such a fucking pain?
>OK, I made a partition table, created a partition, formatted it, not I mount it only to find out that I cannot copy anything to it because it belongs to root and I'm not root. So I have to look up how change permissions and all that crap
How in the actual fuck is this FORMATTING? You format by using MintStick for example. Don't know what the fuck you're creating new partitions for.

>But if you use a modern distro all the basic utilities are already there on linux
>You don't need to spend time downloading and installing random software once you have a fresh pc to set up
stop fucking lying because most of time this bloatware is shitty quality

sudo chown yourusername:yourgroup /home/flashdrive

Ok, so it worked after I changed the owner while it was mounted to this folder. I guess.
Will I have to change the owner on each new system?

Try sudo mount -o users,rw,uid=$UID,gid=$GID /dev/sdb1 /home/FlashDrive
Don't run as root, just sudo. You can also hardcode your user and group id in the command line.

If you change the permission for all to write then no. chmod a+rwx does this

See here retards:
It's not much different than on Windows and there's even a format button.

chmod 777 might be better

I love installing linux after reading from the distro site or installator that they prepared for me all needed utilities out of box and how fantastic experience it will be coming from open software

1. gimp, krita and few other turns out as complete crap and joke
2. graphic barely works, wacom tablets doesn't work at all
3. office work doesn't exist, web design work doesn't exist and it stuck in early 2000

everything is fucking outdated, and the best is krita;

>draw line
>it adds something else
>wtf how to turn it off
>search and struggle
>?????????? WTF?! I WANT JUST DRAW A LINE
>ends up reinstalling windows

Forgot to add: For better access control, try the umask option. uid,gid,umask are all filesystem-dependent but work on both fat and ntfs. Some more are fat-only. Again, the man page is your friend.

Only works with ext4. I cannot change permission for FAT32 drive.

Ever have a failing flash drive in windows and have to open up powershell?
It's 100% more cancer

fat32 doesnt have permissions retard

next time
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /home/flashdrive -o rw,uid=username,gid=groupname

>sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /home/flashdrive -o rw,uid=username,gid=groupname
can't into graphic interface ? or into desktop envoirment? windows explorer has more options than default linux managers

Nigga just use the disk gui packed with any os ffs

it's not, it's enough to try different port or download third party software, and if power shell helped then it was something wrong with pendrive

This was an abortion from the start.
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476185

The absolute state of namefags.
Graphical tools work and have been suggested. OP insists on a command line solution with possible usage in scripts.

I had literally the same problem so I know, for me also helped deleteling pendrive and creating it anew

I just want to have external storage, guys. I bought a 1TB hard drive and a case for it so I can connect it via USB.
Now I spent half a day figuring out what the fuck am I doing wrong and being called a brainlet. Linux is a breeze and joy for the to use otherwise, but dealing with USB storage makes me wanna weep in a corner.

>Graphical tools work and have been suggested.
maybe stop shitting because I literally tested them like 2 days ago before I gave up, even wine sucks and can't launch windows graphic soft

this is a normal disc so use easus partition master

Don't fuck with partitions for usb. Just mkfs to format if you even need to.

Maybe computers just don't like you. Go outside. You will like it better there.

alternativeto.net/software/easeus-partition-manager/?platform=linux

when you make deepin usb it actually split pendrive into two partitions so it's not like it's impossible

but honestly OP should just make catalouges with the numbers or anything, this is the same thing

use dd to make a bootable usb

for example;

Partition 1
Partition 2
Partition 3

it's the same thing but in a folders

>OP should just make catalouges with the numbers

this. just make cataluges with the numbers.

Is there something similar for KDE? I'd like to uninstall GNOME but some programs are just good.

Wait
You don't HAVE to make a partition in order to use a disk?

but you just format disc to set it up clean... it's a partition itself, you must not do anything beside catalouging...if it's just for the date then... and it should be ready out of the box most of time, we have 2019

Here's how to format retard:
youtu.be/vkdhnMkiFTE
Still don't understand what in the actual fuck you're even partitioning anything. If you want to make a bootable drive for example, it can format the flash drive so both Windows and Linux distros see it.

what is this luke smith?

He meant that any drive you buy is likely pre-formatted.
On a different note: Correct. You can make a filesystem to the entire disk, without any partitions. It's usually not recommended because some OSs will not like it. Linux usually has no issues there.

You can even create a filesystem on a file and mount that:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/my-filesystem BS=1024 count=1024
mkfs /tmp/my-filesystem
sudo mount /tmp/my-filesystem /mnt
for an ad-hoc 1MB ext2 filesystem. It's small enough to run through with xxd for a nice educational experience.

partitioning won't save you from disc fuck ups, I was there like year ago

Why in the*

BS= option should be lowercase bs=. Sorry about that.

Of course it depends on the distro you choose
But on linux mint i only installed qbittorrent, because i'm more used to it than transmission
Windows doens't even come with a torrent client lol

quick read this thread

1. he wants format something that is pre formatted during production
2. he want partitions instead building catalouges thread
3. I missed the point why beside 'I just want format stuff'

just use the format tool that comes with your distro... It's no different from how it's done in Windows

So, just to be clear
I can create a new partition table with fdisk, then just mkfs.exfat /dev/sdb (THE ENTIRE DISK), and it will be ok?

>Windows doens't even come with a torrent client lol
maybe because of legal issues?

can you people stop?

>then just mkfs.exfat /dev/sdb (THE ENTIRE DISK), and it will be ok?

no. there is always at least one partition and that's where the file system goes.

Yes, you can. No, you shouldn't.

The what the hell did he mean?

Why does linux shove the fucking filesystem into a folder called 'lost+found', it's just begging to be deleted

So open thunar/dolphin as root, then open the disk's root folder (aka just click on the mounted drive). Permissions are changed with a single right click and three left clicks. Under properties->permissions.

>made a partition table, created a partition, formatted it
As a Linux user I have no fucking idea what half of this means. Formatting in GNOME disks is simple as fuck, don't be retarded. If you know how to make a partition table, whatever the fuck that is, then you should figure out how to change folder permissions, which is all done in GUI in your file manager, and is immediately accessible.

Use gparted.

It doesn't shove the filesystem into that. It's a special folder that is created on a file system root for linux file systems. It's there for a reason but you're unlikely to ever need it. See unix.stackexchange.com/questions/18154/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-lostfound-folder-in-linux-and-unix

op is the type of person that blames installed games for their system running slow.

Not really. I really don't know what the fuck am I doing wrong and I really want to find out.

>I really don't know what the fuck am I doing wrong and I really want to find out.
May I suggest reading some of the replies here?

>Don't know what the fuck you're creating new partitions for.
Because it's a brand new hard drive

faggot stole my satanic digits and he can't even format a usb drive

What's illegal about torrent
Armbian and gimp all provide torrent options, it's much quicker than direct downloads