/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Minimum 30-60fps gaming. 2400G can be found on sale for cheap.
>R5 2600 - 60fps+ gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOP, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games. OR: 1660Ti at ~$230, and Vega56 ~$270
>RX 5700 - highest FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+ in most games.
>RX 5700XT - higher fps
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: 2019_06-12_3DStack.jpg (1680x1209, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/ZxBrxr/dell-up3218k-315-7680x4320-60hz-monitor-up3218k
youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8Bco0dk6Q
linustechtips.com/main/topic/1046357-motherboard-tier-list-now-with-included-vrm-list/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone else regret buying Ryzen 2?

>doesn't post without bios update
>loud, hot and a powerhog
>can't OC above 4.3ghz
>needed fast ram
>a fucking chipset fan

I wish I bought an i5.

Would this be a good build?
970 Pro for Linux and 970 Evo Plus for Windows.

Attached: 2019-07-24-12:53:27-screenshot.png (986x1326, 371K)

No way, dude.
I'm enjoying my AMD purchase!

Attached: msi cope.png (1200x835, 216K)

Indiantel shills in full force.

Attached: European-Hardware-Awards-2019-42.jpg (650x400, 97K)

reposting in new thread

>tfw Jow Forums convinced me to buy phenom over nehalem
>bulldozer over sandy bridge
>ryzen over coffee lake

Fucking hell lads I swear this is the last time I get shilled with this laggy poorfag trash. I am going to treat myself to an Intel rig next time.

make it less obvious pal

Attached: 1563932146254.jpg (641x491, 43K)

I really hope they're not doing it for free.

I have 3x 24" 1440p monitors, one is G-Sync 165Hz. I need this much real estate for productivity for my job but I am considering changing to a single 7680x1440. Anyone know if these exist? I can't find any. I would preferably want G-Sync or Freesync capable so I can still play some games in my down time. Cost is not an issue as I have about £500 of monitors to sell and the difference would be both a business expense and tax deductible. Currently running on a 1080 TI. Pic related.

Attached: 1554741149796.png (438x127, 8K)

Attached: COPE.png (942x453, 93K)

nice photoshop skills m8

Whats a good cooler for 3700X in the 30-40 bux, besides the H212 familly? I want low noise at idle (at the expense of T° if needs be), and good temps when it's at load (at the expense of noise if needs be). Basically, I want silence in idle, and performance at load. Seems like in this price range I can't marry those. The silent ones in idle have always shit temps at load

Here is one (you) for you. Low quality bait tho.

I build a Ryzen 2600 machine with a Gigabyte X370 motherboard. Thing was hot as fuck and wouldn't run reliably under 1.38v when on Auto settings! I switched the board to a MSI B350 and it runs at about 1.1v now. consider the board you are using.

>fell for 1440p meme
>24 inch screens
lmao, meme of the year

Nice one my man. When did /pcbg/ stop giving advice and move solely to critiquing. I need 1440p for work and I also need 3 of them for the work I do. Would be nice to have 27's but I don't need screens going all the way around my head.

guys, come on. Make it. Make it. Make it. Make it.

make it.

make it.

Attached: 3900 last seen almost 24 hours hence.png (649x85, 8K)

pcpartpicker.com/product/ZxBrxr/dell-up3218k-315-7680x4320-60hz-monitor-up3218k

Thanks, was kind of hoping to keep the aspect ration though or be similar

That mobo is overkill. MSI Creation should be enough and free up money to get a nice custom 5700XT, which will arrive shortly in august and why you should wait.

In 5-6 years DDR5 and PCIe 4.0 will be standard, PCIe 5.0 won't be a thing until 2030, unless we make a sudden progress in the GPU department.
Go with the 3600 for now, unless you absolutely need the cores/threads.

>I am considering changing to a single 7680x1440
Friend went from 3x1080p 24" to one super large screen and then went back because he says it's shit. Maybe reconsider.

Was it shit for gaming or just generally shit? If you know. Gaming is secondary to me.

>That mobo is overkill
Elaborate, please.
I think I would prefer to get ASRock X570 Creator for 10Gb/s and more USB Type-C ports, but I have no need for the graphical outputs.

>custom 5700XT, which will arrive shortly in august
So soon, are you sure?

Attached: 2019-07-24-13:08:52-screenshot.png (1002x1244, 340K)

dont listen to poor people they just dont want u having best mobo

That's a motherboard for if you do liquid nitrogen OCs.
There is quite literally no point. You could get a mobo half that price and it would still be too much for what you'll be doing with it

>3100€ pc
>400€ gpu
wtf is this shit

He doesn't play much, so I guess it's generally shit. Personally I prefer multiple thin bezel screen anyways, because how shit wangblows tiling is, but I also play more soo...
Those new 27" thin bezel Dell IPS screens are sweet, we have them at work.

Get whatever mobo you want but $700 for a fucking mobo is just insane if you ask me, especially when cheaper $350-500 mobos exist that cover like 80-100% of all features anyways.

>So soon, are you sure?
This is according to rumors but it makes sense and those blower cards really do blow.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8Bco0dk6Q

Not a gamer PC.
Definitely for serious work as can be deduced by the amount of RAM. User will likely run Linux on it.

Post proof of purchase next time cuz you sound just like a hater or shill without it.

What is a good mobo for a 9900k(f), if I want to go overclock it?

post your systeminfo now

Got it, thank you.
Can you recommend something with excellent power delivery, couple USB Type-C ports and good BIOS?

Actually, I would have gone with nVidia for serious work.
I'm doing a PhD on machine learning and AMD currently sucks at it.
Turns out, the Uni will provide me with one, so I can go with AMD instead.

I would dual boot Void Linux(for work) and Windows 10 for games.

Well, that's the current top of the line AMD solution.
If there was a better one, I'd go fo rthat.

there are other much better gpus for serious work seeing he likes to throw away money anyway

Yeah bro just get mi60
are u poor or what?

On a budget I assume?

The way it is this gen is Gigabyte has the best VRMs for the money, while, as usual, ASUS has not-as-good VRMS but amazing BIOS. And at the top ($400) level, Asus has both best VRM and best BIOS.

linustechtips.com/main/topic/1046357-motherboard-tier-list-now-with-included-vrm-list/

There are some 1440p Ultra Superwide monitors but you'll have to pay out the ass for them and at the end of the day they're still only the same as two 16:9 screens side by side, not 3.

Radeon vii is much better
Then theres titan which is the best for that

Should I get the RX 590 or the 1660 ti?

>excellent power delivery
Anything above $400 will do.. really.
>USB Type-C ports
Idk because I don't need it.
>good BIOS
Anything but Asrock.

Maybe take a look at Gigabyte Aorus Master, Asus ROG C8H or MSI Creation, they should be around $450-550 with a ton of features and good BIOS, maybe that's something for you.

Yes, an i5 is so much better!
>no HT, so obsolete in a couple years
>have to pay extra for a K cpu and an expensive aftermarket cooler so you can overclock
>worse in everything that isn't gayming

Ram, mobo, ssds and psu all seem unnecessarily expensive to me. Also that mobo has killer lan which probably sucks hard with linux.
Mobo kinda depends on your needs, but if you want to pay that much (i.e. waste money) the aorus xtreme at least doesn't have a chipset fan. Otherwise the X570 Taichi is a good choice (or the Phantom Gaming X if you want 2.5Gb lan).
Also wait for custom RX 5700 XT.
Pic related is a little bit more reasonable ihmo (you save about 800€).
But it's hard to recommend anything without knowing what that machine will be used for.

Attached: expensive_computer.png (994x1426, 282K)

Got it, thanks.

>corsair ssd
>be quiet psu
>crucial sport
Please use rope

>says the drone that spends 800€ on a motherboard and 200€ on a case
yikes

Understood.
It's mainly for games, to be perfectly honest.

I need 64Gb RAM and great CPU for data processing in Linux, but other than that, I can have any specs.

Hey, case is out of the question here.
It's the only one I could find that allows for horizontal mobo placement with a full size CPU cooler.

Having a passive cooled heatsink is a luxury

>Its between 5700xt and the 2070 dont you think? 2070 super would cost like 200$ more
Well that's a really obvious choice in favor of the 5700XT, as it performs on par with the 2070 Super.
Except like the other user said, you'd want to wait for custom cards, or replace the GPU cooler yourself (twin turbo is cheaper and fine over the Accelero, for that matter. Hell, even the Mono would work if it fits your case)
Technically you could fix it like in but the Arctic cooler route is easier for a normie.

>3 years
Zoomer

depends on price and monitor.
If the 1660Ti is around $230, that's a good choice. Otherwise, Vega56 is usually the better deal.

>beeing a brand whore

>not even reading my post

Also that case only comes with one 120mm fan preinstalled, probably get some additional fans.

Should I buy a 5700 now or wait for the 5700xt AIBS? I'm pairing it with a 1080p 144hz Benq Zowie XL2411

be quiet is absolute garbage compared to seasonic which does not use chink capacitors instead it goes for self made high quality ones

corsair is a trash ssd compared to aorus and crucial is uncomparable to gskill for ryzun

kys ape

>Buying well-known brands that purchase shit wholesale from the cheapest manufacturers they can get away with and slapping their sticker on it.
>not being a brand whore

3600X here,
>doesn't post without bios update
I mean what would you expect, I remember going from i3-6100 to an i7-7700k, 'twas the same thing
>loud, hot and a powerhog
'Hot' part is true due to chiplet size, 3600X stock cooler can't cool shit, 95C is linx
>can't OC above 4.3ghz
we'll see after a couple of AGESA updates but probably true
>needed fast ram
Zen 2 doesn't need fast RAM, I mean it profits from it but not more than Intel parts
>a fucking chipset fan
top jej, nothing to say here

Overall I'd say I'm satisfied with Zen 2. All the early adopters bullshit was expected from AMD, sadly.

Attached: 123.jpg (398x402, 49K)

>1.416v
>3.6 Ghz
lol

>his first time seeing modern CPU

*crickets*

it actually idles down to 0.9V

Should I put my own paste on the cpu?

Attached: IMG_20190724_142011.jpg (2976x3968, 2.45M)

>are you retarded?
>Yes
>Yes
>no
>no

not really

QUICK go buy a vega and navi as well.

I don't know if using two different paste between the cpu and the one used by amd on the cooler would create some problem

Radeon VII isn't better than anything, it's one of the worst cards on the market.

what?

It's gonna pop the CPU off when you change coolers later on.

Ehhh not really, I mean aftermarket paste is better sure, and Mx-4 or noctua NT-h1 is cheap enough, but you would be better off with a better heatsink/cooler and then upgrading the paste. What CPU is that?

Stop recommending the 3200G, either recommend the 2200G or just the 3400G that is going for cheap now and has a much better graphical performance.

This whole OP is shit, recommending 3700X as an "overkill" gaming CPU when 9900K achieves oftentimes significantly better performance both during normal gameplay and streaming.
Being too expensive doesn't mean it shouldn't be mentioned, some people don't care about price.

Even the 5700 is runs loud, wait for AIB for both

It's kind of sad that a locked 9600 destroys every Zen2 processor in games. At least, AMD doesn't get beaten by i3s anymore.

Virtually no one uses, or is going to use, a 2080Ti at 1080p. Dumb shill.

I'd just get the 5700 now as the custom XT cards are likely going to cost in the $420-$450 range.

3700x. I have some arctic mx4. What I wanted to know is, should i just drop a pea size on the cpu directly and install the cooler or scrub the one pre applied from AMD. I don't know if using two different paste can create some thermal issue because of two different paste used for cooling

Attached: 1563721897015.jpg (504x504, 36K)

*2400G

>no one uses, or is going to use, a 2080Ti at 1080p
Irrelevant, 9900K beats every Zen 2 in a majority of games under pretty much all circumstances, sometimes by up to 15%.
If someone says "i want to build the strongest gaming PC possible right now" you should be honest and recommend 9900K instead of Zen 2. I understand that for most people 3700X is more than enough, but that doesn't mean it's the definitive "overkill" option available.

>should i just drop a pea size on the cpu directly
don't do this. It's probably why some people are getting high temps, from not getting thermal paste to the corner of the IHS.
The die is in the corner under the IHS, around where the serial number ends. The i/o die is under the R and Y in RYZEN.

>3700x.
Ah so relatively hotter than low stuff.
>I have some arctic mx4.
I believe it will perform better and if it was me, id put it on myself.
> should i just drop a pea size on the cpu directly and install the cooler or scrub the one pre applied from AMD.
Use a wipe to remove the stock paste, clean it with isopropol alcohol or vodka 40% if you are desperate. Wipe it nice and clean.
Give the ryzen chip a wipe as well with isopropol alcohol.
Once both areas are degreased, clean and ready.
Apply an X pattern of thermal paste on the ryzen chip. Install cooler.

Spreading a thin layer on top, or X method are the two of the best methods in terms of performance for CPU chips.

>I don't know if using two different paste can create some thermal issue because of two different paste used for cooling
It can, again, clean it off, you want both surfaces to be spotless and use isoropol, rubbing, alcohol to clean them chemically of more sticky and greasy stuff.

Broke user here,
>I got about $1100 usd
and want to build the best bang for buck pc for gaming /streaming what do?

Please help

Attached: IMG_4908.jpg (1080x1080, 121K)

I'm pretty happy with my 3700X but I'd even recommend the 9700k over it if someone was building a gaming pc.

Dumb question here. Does it matter where a motherboard comes from? As in if I would buy a motherboard from Canada vs the same one from US? Or even Australia?

>State budget & CURRENCY
About ¥100,000.
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
The prices for the Ryzen 7 2700X have dropped in Japan already so I have my eyes on it.
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
Amateur video and photo editing, light gaming.

>seasonic
>self made anything
kys, also the fan on the Prime Ultra Titanium is known to be shit (motor noise). That be quiet PSU is made by FSP, high quality and silent.
>crucial is uncomparable to gskill for ryzun
>implying brand matters more than actual memory chips and bin
Micron E-Die is great and cheap, no need to waste money on Samsung B-Die for 2% performance increase in selected scenarios
>corsair is a trash ssd compared to aorus
MP510 is comparable to 970 evo. It's also half the price of the PCIe 4.0 one and there's no performance difference for most workloads.

Something like this, pretty much. The motherboard is actually about 60 bucks cheaper than listed here so you might end up below your budget, in which case you could put that money into a stronger cooler maybe. Not necessary tho.
Wait until the third party version of the 5700XT GPU are released tho, you don't want the shitty reference design.

Alternative cases i'd recommend are the Fractal Design Meshify C or Corsair 270R, they're both very nice but you'll probably wanna put some additional intake fans into them.

Attached: build.png (1461x560, 79K)

heres an image to go with it. Obviously this applies only to CPUs.

Attached: top pasting methods.jpg (528x1100, 195K)

Also i forgot to mention that you'll need to update the BIOS on that mobo, if that's not an option for you or not something you wanna deal with, get one of the X570 i suppose.
I'm not too familar with them, maybe another user from here could make a recommendation.

Friendly reminder that my Ryzen APU ruins AAA games at 60+fps with decent graphics.

>runs
Autofixd

I'm trying to recover the data from an old 1tb sata hdd
Two partitions went just fine but the one in the middle is showing as unformatted on explorer. Disc management programs even see it as two unformatted partitions with the same letter.
Data recovering programs can't work on it because it's a dynamic disc. And I can't convert it from dynamic to basic, I guess because the partition is flawed.
What I do?

>Data recovering programs
Scam and often do more harm than good, using that garbage may even corrupt whatever was undamaged.
Mount it on a linux system and try to salvage whatever is left, I doubt there's much left though.

Please don't say that user all my work is on that partition plus thousands of gb of rare music

>Mount it on a linux system and try to salvage whatever is left
How to tho

>no backup
Hope you learned your lesson.

>How to tho
Just like any other drive. Hell even wangblows with robocopy should work for what's left and not corrupted.

I never touched Linux
Do I just download Ubuntu, burn it on a DVD, install it on my good hd, and download a Linux disk manager? Do Linux software come with easy installers these days?

Yeah you gotta watch for that shit. If you are changing coolers. Warm the CPU up with a stress test or games first. Then give it a small twist before pulling.

reminds me of the time I warmed up my GPU to 90deg, then went to remove the heatsink, had to wiggle it for a good 30-60 seconds before it debonded from that tight vacuum fit.

Don't bother. Parent assumed you knew Linux. Find a friend with the expertise to do it.

Is there any good fan curve software?

they'll help you

Specifically talking about case fans here by the way

MSI make the best Ryzen boards (hence they're so highly recommended on reddit and Jow Forums eg tomahawk) so of course poorfags are going to have problems