/pmp/ - Portable Media Players general

Fucking Audiophiles Edition
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: oh shit a bomb.png (624x1200, 864K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/May2w
aliexpress.com/item/4000030603009.html?
aliexpress.com/item/32869662788.html?
iflash.xyz/
iflash.xyz/store/iflash-compatibility/
aliexpress.com/item/32922115463.html
aliexpress.com/item/32826350549.html
aliexpress.com/item/32613579921.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 20190723_123508.jpg (2646x2797, 3.79M)

I have a 6th gen ipod classic that doesn't read any hard drive or ssd
I thought at first that the hard drive was faulty, but it turns out that it's a logic board issue.
Is there any way to fix this, or is buying a new board my only option?

the apple pods cuck fear the 20k $ portable stack samurai

Those pics are from Hong Kong are they?

absolutely pitiful

Sadly, you wouldn't make it in 'Murrica 5 steps with that thing. Land of the """free"""

Technological gadgets is to many Whites and Yellows what gold chains is to niggers.

What kind of autism do you have to suffer to go around packing that shit?

audiophilia

Wow, this guy is serious.

I currently have a 160 GB iPod that's nearing it's storage limit. I'm looking to replace it with a modded one off of eBay for $280 that comes with the SD card mod, new battery, etc. Is that the way to go, or is there an alternative that would work with a 200GB SD card which I already have?

>portable
In the same way a dumbell's portable

Mod it yourself?

That's an option, but not one I'm really considering seriously.

looking for a new player since im transitioning from android to a dumbphone. criteria: flac, under 100dollars; rockbox and aesthetic would be appreciated too

The iPod Classic is literally the only CrApple product worth owning.

archive.fo/May2w

Attached: upgraded-apple-ipod-classic-seen-during-it-unveiling-san-francisco-california-september-5.jpg (1600x2181, 1.54M)

This
>Though when mine finally shits itself I'm going with a FiiO PMP

found the airpods cuck weakling

You don't actually haul that stack around irl, do you?

what could he possibly have?
dap
amp
dac
what else?

not THAT stack, but mine yes sure.
why?

What is every piece in this and what does each do?

batteries to power them all

i think there is some extra dacs and amps for different moods and situations. you never know when it could start raining and you need to switch in a tube amp to warm your soul.
totally based.

just do it yourself its super easy, only hard part is getting the back off, just buy some metal spudgers to do it youll save a lot of money. if you dont trust the chink ssd you can get an iflash board which will take an sd card

aliexpress.com/item/4000030603009.html?

aliexpress.com/item/32869662788.html?

Attached: ipod.jpg (1479x1863, 525K)

Even his hair is perfectly designed for maximum comfort and listening experience

Hi again, think I talked to you yesterday in basically the same thread. I'm the guy with the 400GB SD card in an iPod 5.5G.

Start considering it seriously. This is Jow Forums after all. the iFlash boards that user above mentioned can be found at
iflash.xyz/
and they work very well. They sell the metal tools as well for not much. Good fun project to do and actually quite hard to fuck up unless you are a literal gorilla. Can also do cool shit like pic related. Not my pic but I have that front on mine.

Attached: 1540453246068.jpg (640x640, 72K)

2 pounds of semtex

wew that clear plastic is nice :3

Attached: 63203011_p5.jpg (550x660, 136K)

no
there are much better players
see: iRiver, Sansa, and some more

re-read that post. It is the only /apple/ product worth owning. The iPod Classic is actually a good music player by any standard once you've installed Rockbox, and you can add as much storage and battery as you like (within reason). Unlike virtually everything else Apple has ever produced, they are actually well-designed and well-built from a hardware perspective. Please do explain how this statement is wrong.
Sansa players are great (I have enough NOS Clip+ players hoarded to last me at least the next couple of decades), but good luck finding any now for a decent price. Same goes for iRiver, they're all knackered now. I actually have a Clip+ for when I'm travelling and an iPod with all the upgrades mentioned in this thread for when I'm at home. Both run Rockbox, and both perform their functions excellently.

Attached: 1543062318465.jpg (1600x1200, 1.06M)

You've convinced me. Reading over the compatibility page, it doesn't seem like it, but does a 7th gen require any special ribbon cables? Considering getting the iFlash dual.

I have an iPod 5 with a "new" battery. Not sure what is problem but it lasts 10 minutes, the battery percentage goes from 80 to 40 in 5 minutes just by watching it but then it gets back up if I turn off the screen. I am assuming that it's not calibrated correctly but could it be the iPod? I'd like to mod it but if it's broken there is no point in doing it. It has rockbox installed and I can't boot the official os since I broke the connector when opening it.

just your average audiophile dude

Must be the calibration.
Try power cycling it

niggers love iphones too

I tried doing full cycles but it didn't work

Thinking of buying a FiiO M11 and using it as my main phone. I'll buy a dump phone just to accept calls and messages.
Based or not?

Attached: 1547786570353.jpg (1200x700, 124K)

The page you want for that info is here:
iflash.xyz/store/iflash-compatibility/
But short answer, yes it should work. Rockbox is a bit more complicated on the 7th gen and dual booting with the original firmware moreso, but worth investigating. Have fun!

>spends hundreds of dollars to achieve the ultimate portable music player
>grado headphones

Attached: DnPNKrMWsAAj-nR.jpg (500x500, 23K)

Maybe the hard drive is sucking up your battery somehow.
It happened with my old 4th gen 'pod, and it stopped when I did the SD card mod.

I do have a nice mp3 player, I love it.

Autistic but cool

This is what I'm worried about, I think I'll give up on modding it for now

>hundreds

iPhone XS Max £1100
Astell&Kern Ultima SP1000 DAP £2500
Unknown (DAP?)
Unknown (battery pack?)
Mass Kobo 404 balanced amp £1500
Chord Hugo DAC [left] £1800
Sony WM1Z DAP [right] £2500
Mysphere 3 headphones £3000
Grado PS2000E headphones £2700

thousands = lots of hundreds = hundreds of dollars

pedos out

I didn't get a proper answer to my question of why Astell & Kern costs too much so I decided to find out for myself.

Attached: IMG_20190726_102706-1512x2016.jpg (1512x2016, 599K)

bump

Can anyone recommend a good $50ish chink PMP ?
I have a phone but it's not very good, and I can hear hissing in the background and whenever something's not playing.
I checked the guide, but it's not very helpful to me.
I'm not looking for something groundbreaking, it's just that I jumped from cheapo freebie headphones to a KZ ZSN and now I really appreciate good-sounding music.

Some basic rules :
>It HAS to be around $50. I can go up to $60 if the addition would be truly remarkable but I really can't go beyond that.
>It doesn't HAVE to play all types of extensions. MP3 is a given, FLAC is preferable, but unnecessary.
>It HAS to have a screen. If it can show the Album Art then that's a plus.
>It HAS to be from Aliexpress. This might be the most limiting rule, but for where I live, this is my only option.

Here are some examples of what I had in mind.
aliexpress.com/item/32922115463.html
aliexpress.com/item/32826350549.html

Both these check out in terms of my rules, but I don't know if they sound good or not.
If anyone has experienced them or something else similar, please tell. Thanks.

Attached: Capture.jpg (365x425, 13K)

ruizu x02

Do you mean this ?
aliexpress.com/item/32613579921.html
Isn't that just a generic MP3 player ? I mean no offense, I don't know anything about it and it's really affordable, but it just seems like it's just an ordinary MP3 player that's not gonna sound any better than my phone.
As I said I'm not looking for something extraordinary but I think it should at least good internals.

dodocool da106. Interface is a bit sluggish but the sound quality is great for the price

Also. Honestly. This fucking thing... I kinda get it now. It isn't a meme. This shit is endgame level normie consumer portable audio player category. I'm kinda speechless.

Attached: IMG_20190726_134720-1512x1390.jpg (1512x1390, 294K)

What's pic related?

Thanks for responding, The dodocool DA106 looks to be what I'm looking for and it seems everyone likes it.
Although it is kinda ugly, a trait I unfortunately noticed in any player that appears to have good sound.
Also as inquired, what player is that in the picture ?

Astell & Kern AK 100II

this is why no girls stay with you

>$400+
>3.7/5
Does it get lower average scores because of the price? I can't sink that much dough into a pmp without reassurance of at least a 4.5/5 average review count.

I reckon it is because of the price. But if you take into consideration the other features that an average Joe wouldn't really care that much about, like DSD playback, DLNA streaming, etc, it's a fairly good entry in the "audiophuckingmoron" space. But if you don't care much for that shit, there are much more reasonably priced and spec'd personal audio players out there.

Hi /pmp/, my job will only allow me to use CDs to listen to music. Are there any portable CD players available that have a good DAC and such? I hope it's not all chintzy crap but I really don't see why anyone would make a nice one nowadays.

Good question... Also do you want the ability to play other media like DVD/BLU-RAY audio or SACD?

Not really, just the basic stuff. I'm not allowed to bring anything I burned myself so I'm limited to commercial CDs.

Insignia NS-P4112 has decent reviews. You could just buy a used one for $5 at any number of second hand stores.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll check out my local thrift stores this weekend and try to find something.

The first couple of generations of CD players had phenomenal DACs (and huge prices to match), and then as the technology became more mainstream and adoption took off the prices became a race to the bottom and to a large extent so did quality.
A Sony Discman from the late 80s/early 90s will sound better than pretty much any CD player made today, barring high-end hi-fi separates, so go for one of those if you can find one that works and isn't ridiculously expensive. They also look cool.

Attached: 1564049513845.jpg (1500x1206, 402K)

What music format do you put in your PMPs ?

Ive got one of these little chinks, really nice for the price and so small I'm scared of losing it.
you can wear it as a watch which is nice.

Attached: Shanling m0.jpg (660x371, 50K)

>A Sony Discman from the late 80s/early 90s will sound better than pretty much any CD player made today, barring high-end hi-fi separates
Are you mainly referring to portable CD players? I find it incredulous that a player from that generation would outperform a modern media unit like say a sony blu ray player which has the added benefit of utilizing SACDs and the other media formats.

Primarily yes, but a first or second gen hi-fi separate will sound as good as, or in most cases better than, a modern equivalent as well, at least when playing a standard CD. SACDs are a more recent medium so you can't really compare them.
The difference is that the early CD players were eye-wateringly expensive, and were absolutely designed to provide the highest-quality experience possible in terms of sound quality. There was no concept of a 'budget' player, and so by definition the components used were all of high quality, and the result of an extensive R&D process. The next couple of decades were basically spent scaling up production and in doing so making everything cheaper either by pure economy of scale, or (in many cases) just using less high-end components.
So your modern Sony blu-ray player can of course play a wider variety of formats, but in pure cd-playing mode it won't sound any better than say a Cambridge CD1 or similar high-end player from the late 80s, and in some cases might actually sound worse.