Ryzen Thread

Ryzen Thread.
So how is everyone getting on with their Ryzen CPUs? I'm a bit perplexed because although my system runs extremely well, I am getting:

>WHEA errors
No idea if those are even a problem or just some generic windows flagged event, no BSOD due to them at least
>1.5V idle
This one I am concerned about so I'm using Power Saver Mode, now 0.9V-1.0V idle, but I suppose my performance is a bit gimped until they fix this.

The rest I couldn't give a shit about, I'm not changing clocks etc. How about you guys?

Attached: 2.jpg (3840x2160, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19
youtube.com/watch?v=icTxEBUdGT8
techpowerup.com/257312/reports-of-ryzen-3000-high-idle-voltage-exaggerated-a-case-of-the-observer-effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stop with the ryzen threads and buy intel

Attached: 1563455436921.jpg (1035x1000, 189K)

Good so far. I have a 3700X on an Asus Pro WS-X570 Ace. I'm on windows balanced power plan and I see 0.9v idle, as high as 1.45v under single core load. Where are you seeing WHEA errors? I checked my event log and see no such thing. Are you on an older motherboard?

Honestly with all the problems, it makes me want to switch to Intel if only for stability. I had an R7-1700X before this that ran great and it had none of these issues. I get there are growing pains, but this is just a pain in the ass now desu.

how are democrats supposed to be jews when they're the icons of capitalism? Jow Forums has really lost the plot

bought ryzen 3700x and msi 450 mortar
flashed bios to latest and installed everything
can only post with 1 stick of 8gb ram
tried two different brands of ram
yes i regret it

But Democrats are the icons of capitalism, just look at their biggest donors.

Pol is retarded user, this is the answer

are you the same guy trolling? I have seen the exact same thing posted several times here.

Either way. Works fine for me. Low idle voltage. No errors.

You're both going to have to manually find the highest clocks all cores will go to at 1.2-1.3 volts and leave it there for the best stability. Fact is PBO is already technically overclocking.

You're probably not gonna see more than 4.1-4.3 GHz for an all core stable OC though. Then again you won't see this with PBO either as most games use more than 2 CPU cores now. Overall though that's still ~500-700MHz of OC on average per chip, 7nm high yield/volume is doing pretty okay desu.

moral of the story: read the fine print, AMD's turbo os the max a single CPU core can reach at 1.4-1.5v.

Both center left and center right are Jewish puppets. Both far right and far left hate Jews. Strange, but that's how it goes.

Had Whea errors untill I updated Motherboard bios, I got Asus CH8 Hero.

Event Viewier - Windows Logs - System is where I see WHEA errors, they are all correctable though, so I guess it's not a problem, the uncorrectable errors will result in BSOD with an WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE message which I've seen lots of people having, but not me so far. It should be fixed at some point however. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using PCI-E 4.0 and an NVMe SSD (I'm on X570 also).

No I usually trolls Incels. There's definitely some early issues with this Ryzen platform, the voltage worries me because I don't want any permanent damage, but I really don't know if it works that way. The voltage does drop under high load across multiple cores, which I guess is proper behaviour.

I have windows installed on a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB. I've had no WHEA errors at all using my Asus WS-X570 board. Odd. I honestly think this all just Windows throwing a shit fit having to become accustomed to a non Intel chip/platform/chipset. I mean look at the update for the Windows scheduler just to have it play nice with Ryzen.
I have everything in my BIOS set to auto/default other than setting my RAM kit DOCP. PBO set to off/auto as well. Even with a manual setting of requesting +200MHz from PBO, It doesn't OC my chip even when I'm sub 75C. I see 4.1GHz sustained on 100% all core loads at 1.32v. no higher than 4.25GHz at 1.45v+ on single core. 0.9v at idle. All of this just using the windows based Balanced plan, NOT the Ryzen one. Yes there's a difference.

Lastly I think even after all the kinks are worked out, we're not going to see crazy OC headroom in Ryzen like we see on Intel due to their inherent CCX arch vs Intel's monolithic one. We do however see great performance gains from CCX clocking the Ryzen as well as bumping infinity fabric to 1800MHz or tightening your RAM timings. Regardless if these issues, I look forward to their 3950X launch. 16c32t on AM4 at 105w tdp is impressive.

AMD binned the single core to 1.4-1.5v like user up there said. The best you can do is negative voltage offset or manual OC with lower single thread (5-10% lower from PBO depending on luck).

>mfw retarded Jow Forumsentlemen fell for the AMD viral advertising marketers and actually bought their CPUs on day 1 to beta test them and the chipsets

Attached: 384485467778842634.png (112x105, 7K)

I think in the end this is the consequence of ROME. AMD doesn't really care about the gaymen market segment, they know that in order to completely outperform intel they would have to slice their yields in half or more to attain all-core frequencies of 4.5 GHz+ and lie about their TDP just like intel. That's not where the money is tho.

Attached: aa1c3d61-4e69-456a-b898-da1c694ea9d7.jpg (700x506, 74K)

>and lie about their TDP just like intel. That's not where the money is tho.
I think I saw somebody post the real TDP somewhere, it's like 80 watts for the 65w ones and 140 for the 95w ones.

Ryzen mobile posters welcome here?

Just snagged a 3500u/vega8

Pretty legit, 6+ battery life while browsing/streaming

2.5hrs gaming

I'm surprised I can play Apex(and win) pretty damn good @720 low settings with models and textures on medium with AA on. Doesn't look bad at all on a 14" screen.

I've heard there are ways to increase power too because the tdp is limited to only 15watts...anybody heard this?

Attached: df938f74af1f14f1a108d1808c845f25.jpg (811x1014, 229K)

Want to buy 3600, but I'm scared it won't work with my B450 Tomahawk mobo after the BIOS flash, still have to decide between it, 2700x and 2600x

AMD never intended to outperform intel in the first place, they literally blatantly explicitly stated this in their marketing. They got significantly closer to the i9-9900K than the 2700X or 1800X ever did though which is good enough most people.

Attached: AMD_still_loses.jpg (1889x1067, 234K)

anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19

This covers that well. Basically the 65w tdp Ryzen has a ceiling of 90w to boost up to before locking itself there where as the 105w tdp Ryzen is allowed to go as high as 142w to maintain boost clock on all cores. Ryzen 3xxx uses different way of boosting than 1xxx and 2xxx did, hence why 3xxx has higher than normal tdp numbers. Also unlike Intel, AMD chips are pretty much at their clock ceiling from the factory based on how little OC headroom they have. So 90w/140w for a balls deep chip isn't horrible.

Look at that 9900k tho. 95w rated tdp with 168w real usage. And closer to 300w when clocked to 5.0GHz on all cores.

Attached: 111362.png (650x450, 35K)

That's somewhat disappointing desu, I was expecting more from the shrink to 7nm. Still the 15% IPC gain makes up it and at least it isn't as bad as intel's "actually, this thing consumes more than twice its TDP under load" tdp kind of lying.

Attached: 3900X_power_575px.png (678x310, 179K)

Isn't this the test where it turned out the 9900K was throttling to 4Ghz because the low end Z motherboard couldn't handle its "95W" TDP?

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9DLzkvODA1MjU3L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDA3LnBuZw==(1).jpg (755x561, 109K)

How did you flash a b450 board with a 7?

Works fine but I'm concerned about the idle temps and voltage.

If my Ryzen is 1.4V+ while idle is that gonna kill my CPU? Or does it not really matter

>That chart
Holy shit. And idk. I just googled 3700X reviews
The larger wattage gap from tdp compared to Ryzen 1000 and 2000 is because they completely changed the boosting algorithm in Ryzen 3000. The newest one will boost as high as possible and keep boosting until it hits a limit of voltage, amperage, or temperature. AMD capped their 65w tdp chips at 90w and their 105w tdp chips at 142w to stop them from continuously requesting more voltage and popping boards
The voltage is fine according to AMD because the 1.45v to 1.5v isn't being sustained on all cores, it's only for single core loads to boost as high as possible. As for idle you have to make sure your chip is actually down clocking. Using the windows balanced power plan, I see 0.9v idle with a temp of around 29C. This is with a fat air cooler inside a run that is 20C. On multicore load like prime95 smallFFT torture loop, I only see 73C with 1.29v to 1.32v
What board? Are you using the proper power plan? The CPU should be downclocking when idle, thus giving lower voltage. As far as killing it, hard to say. AMD is the one saying these voltages are fine

for the billionth fucking time:

TDP is not power consumption

for
fuck's
sake

Mine doesn't seem to idle at all, even with nothing but CPUZ running it's rarely dropping below 1V, and idle temps are around 50C.

I'll definitely get zen2, but not right now.
Pricing in Yurop is fucking retarded right now.
I'll probably pick up a 3900x when they're cheaper, next year.
I've heard people talk about zen2+, but as far as I'm aware, they're going for zen3 on a new socket, and zen2+ doesn't exist.

What power plan are you using?

Windows Balanced. Same thing with Ryzen Balanced. It's the weirdest thing, the temps start dropping and then it just decides to boost for no reason and the temps instantly climb back up to 50. In fact now it's idling between 48-56.

Yeah I get that, the fan also ramps up and down all the time while it's boosting, even for just a few seconds, seems kinda pointless.

Those idle temps could be by design.
AMD needs to speak up about it.

Stock cooler I assume? Also what motherboard? I heard the older chipset boards were still having issues with voltage/boosting. Not hearing any issues with this on X570 for instance. As long as your load temps are under control, that's important. Don't want to cook your chip.

Also avoid the Ryzen power profiles. They're garbage. Cause more harm than good.

I had that behavior by default with my 2700x.
Had to tweak the fan curve in bios.
Protip, you need to increase the response time.

Stock cooler. Windows power plan is able to maintain a stable ~0.9V and 40C with no fluctuation while idle, no clue what the fuck is happening with the other plans.

>Windows power plan
power saver plan*

I've been tempted to stick with windows power saver until AMD gets a grip of itself.

Does it still perform underload or will I have to change my performance plan every time I want to do something intensive?

I don't know, man.
Stop being lazy, and test both options for your use case.
But as far as I'm aware, power saving shouldn't really change anything.

You guys try a custom power plan? Maybe change the CPU minimum and max states manually on the power saver plan. Make a bootleg Balanced mode.

I'm on a Ryzen 3700X and I feel like I'm back to old AMD dumbfuckery.
Sometimes when I close a game, my cursor just goes invisible, or bugs out completely by doing shit like, when I click and hold I get two cursors, one where I clicked and one where I'm moving shit to.
All it takes is ctrl + shift + win + b to restart the video driver, but AMD machines have always had some weird shit happen I just don't get with Intel.

Attached: 824_1000.gif (242x273, 2.84M)

Give it some time. Most likely windose shitting itself anyways.
Zen1 was same shit, and zen+ was smooth as fuck.

Damn so glad i just went with the 9900k last year. It just works.

My 3600 usually stays around 4200mhz all threads in games like bf1. I love how I can lower the graphic settings and resolution scale and get like 200fps with the CPU barely going above 50%. I wonder if it will be possible to squeeze it to 4.3 or even 4.5 GHz in the future just to eek out some more longevity before it gets too weak for games and bottlenecks. I probably won't see any bottlenecks for 4 more years in which case I can get a 3700x or 3900x for cheap.

because it's nothing new

These are normal growing pains of any new arch. Intel's arch hasn't changed drastically since they've been running the same one since Pentium 3. Not only that, but the 9900k is literally the 8700k with more cores. So of course the kinks have been worked out. Wait and see what happens when Intel finally makes a new arch. It'll be shit storm 2, electric boogaloo

There is no headroom for OC on Zen2. None. This is coming from someone who has swallowed the thick AMD load cum and center.

What you get with PB is all you're getting without LN2 on crazy voltages.

Why do people want headroom instead of being sold a product that works at its fullest potential out of the box?

You'll start seeing boards with "support Ryzen 3000" or "Ryzen 3000 compat." on shelves soon, even for 4xx series mobos.

What is this corelet talking about?

Stock cooler is shit, barely enough for AVX workloads like rendering. Idle temperature matches what I've experienced.

Yea I figured
This is how I see it. AMD is now drop and go, you know what performance you're getting. Where as to eek out the fullest performance from Intel silicon Lottery and exotic cooling are necessary. Not to mention 250w+ under full tilt for a 5.0GHz clocked 9900k

False promises + "this can't be it" mentality of those who bought a product right at release with all the bells and bugs that come with it.

They're also icons of communism

>Sometimes when I close a game, my cursor just goes invisible

Do you have AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU? I'm pretty sure that's a nvidia problem at the moment.

Well, I tried it, Power Saver gimped my core clock speeds (even though the upper limit is 100% on CPU Utilisation) and made my game stutter. Switching back to Balanced showed all the core clocks shooting back up in AMD Ryzen Master and being sustained at higher speeds, which fixed my game but fucks my idle voltages again.

Daily reminder that Hitler was an unwashed leftie psycho. Might is right.

Aside less cores. What were the downside to buying a 3900X vs 3950X

waiting on restock of 3900x :/

Resell value, longterm usability, internet dick points

Reported speed doesn't mean shit.
Monitoring software usually probe twice per second.
Zen2 updates its clock a billion time(don't have the exact figure, but it's a lot more) in this interval.
You need to measure performance.

Possible but as far as I know the power plans go much deeper than the options made available to you in windows. Some guy from AMD was saying that the Windows plans ignore the vast majority of requests for higher performance, and so they don't respond as rapidly in boosting cores.

Just ordered a 3600 + msi b450-a pro. It will be fine right? Im coming from an intel i3 7100 and already bought 2x8 gb ddr 4 3200cl16 in anticipation last year.

Attached: RoXKNzi.jpg (300x241, 13K)

If your 3xxx CPU is reporting 4GHz all core, but you're running 1V vcore, you get low performance.

But with normal vcore? Same CPU speed reported, much higher performance.

The only way to figure out if your voltage is stable for a manual over/underclock is to measure performance with the 3xxx series.

Well just doing a very quick comparison in CPU-Z Bench, both windows power plans

Power Saver:
Single Thread: 422.6
Multi-Thread: 4037

Balanced:
Single: 480
Multi: 5280

So, yeah, something's going wrong.
It's not fun, but it should be fixed, eventually.

I'll add to this than M$ doesn't like to roll up patches like this except every 6 months or so, for major updates.
So since they just released 1903, well, the waiting might be long.

Hope that your BIOS flashes correctly or has a Ryzen 3000 Ready sticker on it

still fucking waiting for my shit to arrive
might only get here next week
fuck slow shipping

Attached: file.png (681x376, 46K)

Worst case, he can still get an update kit from AMD, but you don't want that.

So I praise that my usb works basically, i see. If the Bios flash fails i guess ill just return it.

You see, random though btw, people just got used to buying new mb for new cpus.
Then AM4 happens and it's a shitshow of people not understanding why it doesn't work.
Now, I'm no expert, but maybe they could have a safe mode in BIOS where any cpu would work and you could use the flash option.

What specific laptop do you have, what is its battery capacity?
Previous Ryzen laptops all have really high idle power usage, it's hard to find info on how the latest line improved things.

If you're on ryzen 3000, 1.4v on all cores is bad. AMD themselves said that 1.325v is the safest voltage for all cores. Personally, I just set the voltage to that and stress tested it until I got good clocks. (1.325v @4.35ghz)

Wash the jewish lies out of your head. Reading list for you:
Culture of Critique
Myth of the 20th Century

youtube.com/watch?v=icTxEBUdGT8

.5V idle
>This one I am concerned about so I'm using Power Saver Mode, now 0.9V-1.0V idle, but I suppose my performance is a bit gimped until they fix this.
there's a big r*ddit thread about this on r/amd

OP here, no shit, I just got my first BSOD because of WHEA. It was JUST as I was trying to do some 3D design work, which is exactly what I was fearing would end up happening, and now I can't even open the 3D modelling software I was using when it crashed, because it just fails on launch with multiple errors.

Amazing :D

my 3600 spiked to 1.58V then died 30 minutes later

Attached: 1548672444364.png (583x482, 119K)

my new ryzen literally killed my mom and burned my house, amd sux

could be worse

Attached: what the fuck.png (491x516, 77K)

Is this adoredTV now?

fucking how wtf

no idea, user. probably a mixture of the B350 board I used and it being 2 days after the official launch. Pretty funny how now, on an X570 board, I can get higher clocks than that at 1.3v.

Holy shit. The best Intel salesmen in the world are AMD shills on Jow Forums and reddit. Thanks guys for helping me make my decision on my first build. Enjoy your chink hardware.

Attached: fuckuhyou.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

>Entire thread filled with legit issues and problems of Ryzen 3000 with a few positives sprinkled in
>REEE AMD SHILLS REEE
Ok.

Attached: 1329598958460.jpg (190x190, 9K)

>he didnt reinstall windows when he got the new chip and is still using an intel install

99 threads on Jow Forums that are AMD related. 98 are about wanting commie Su's feminine penis. Shills move goal posts and try to appear objective like always.

very happy with the r5 3600 as an upgrade from my i7-4770
really a night and day difference in handbrake and premiere. most games run 15%ish better too and that was kind of a surprise.

The chances of me going for an RMA are about 1 in 1000, but if I did go that route how well covered am I? Surely I can't just return all of my AMD parts because the CPU is fucked?

Lol this is both parties
are you retarded?

>PBO is already technically overclocking.
PB and PB2 is OC
PBO raises those OC level. its likely the retarded voltages all 3k processors have is due to PBO, that moves the limits up, possibly above what the mobo can provide.

setting a lower realistic voltage is the ideal indeed

Buyer's remorse thread.

make voltage clockspeed powerdraw graphs you niggers
i aint buyin the new shit unless it can do 3.5ghz at something retarded like 10W

Attached: power draw.png (1482x591, 122K)

yeah Im sticking with my 2600x, still werks great

Lenovo flex 14

Must have bent a pin or smth

>It just works.

techpowerup.com/257312/reports-of-ryzen-3000-high-idle-voltage-exaggerated-a-case-of-the-observer-effect

interesting