Librem 5

Have you preordered one yet?

Can we help make it the first version of the best smartphone ever?

Attached: Librem5_spot.webm (660x370, 2.91M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wJvAvr8j4gw
linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Librem-5-and-the-Challenge-of-the-Free-Phone
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes. I can't wait for it to arrive in 2077.

I already have the first jolla.
problem is that you kind of need android/ios.
At least my bank requires 2 way authentication with phone app that is made to only work with android/ios.
Then there's whatsapp which also allows only android/ios clients.
Maybe there's way around but at this point I just want something that works.
Otherwise linux phone is nice idea.

No, I'm waiting for the pinephone.

If somebody wants to use/remix the spot it's here:
mir DOT cr / 188lK7JQ (long)
mir DOT cr / 1N3RJB8K (120 sec)
You can edit it with Kdenlive. Had to cut and compress it a lot.

Considering the limited amount of rare metals on Earth I really do believe that we have to build a single best smartphone instead of wasting ever competing proprietory ones. It should be free, modular, produced ethically and be built collectively. That's an ideal pretty much out of reach as of right now but I do hope that by a decade or so we can at least come very close to it.

Attached: librem5_comparison_1.png (1159x516, 36K)

Good project, but they should have required inclusion of Android app support or not bothered. Otherwise it's just a neat Linux thing but falls down on all but the simplest modern phone tasks.

"Comparison" charts that are all yes for one thing and all no for all others are useless.

I think they'll release it soon.
You can get a $50 discount for preordering until 31 July and they wrote that it'll be released in Q3.

Attached: shell-l5-1-1.png (421x881, 276K)

Likely people will get that working later on with Shashlik and/or Anbox. They also have that in their FAQ:
>Will the Librem 5 be able to run Anbox or Shashlik?
>We will test the capabilities of powering Anbox or Shashlik to allow users the ability to run Android applications within PureOS on the Librem 5, but our long-term goal is to utilize native applications that adhere to our strict philosophy. Enterprise clients or users who require Android applications may choose to to run a Android applications within an isolation container, so this is the reason for testing this type of configuration. We have a stretch goal to help with this developmental effort to have Android apps run in isolation.

But maybe one could also dual boot an Android OS. You could also just use your old Android phone in addition during the transition phase.

Also you could probably use WhatsApp's webapp like the usual app.

A lot of apps won't exist right from the start but you can still use a lot of webapps. And also software that's running well on Debian desktop could work well on the phone too. Often it's probably just a matter of how responsibe the app is.
I'm also using Debian+KDE om desktop so I'm hoping for convergence there.

Attached: phonescreenkeyboardmouse-2.jpg (1280x720, 176K)

Yes, but that's just where that smartphone is starting off from.
It would be great if people could create more comprehensive comparisons - especially once the last hardware specs get disclosed.
It loses on most hardware specs when those are compared. But it's the single fully free GNU/Linux phone, giving back control, that's somewhat modern and somewhat suitable for mass-adoption. So it wouldn't make sense comparing something else on their website.

But maybe somebody wants to create a comparison with pinephone or Necuno Phone etc or basically benchmarks of each of the hardware components?

ICTs will stay with us for a long time - it's important that we build them properly from as early on as possible (pic related).

Attached: 220px-HAL9000_Case.svg.png (220x636, 78K)

>Speaker : at least one
>Front Camera: TBD
>Back Camera w/LED flash: TBD
>Battery: User replaceable – TBD
>What doesn't work? You tell us. ;)
>preorder for $649

I'd like to know too. But I'm pretty sure the camera will be at least 5MP. NecunOS NC_1 does have 5MP as well. It'll probably be the weakest point of it. I just hope they ship in Q3 and can make good use of the invested money.

Attached: l5-backfront.png (391x500, 148K)

Wups. These miss the files. Here's the proper package:

mir DOT cr / YYJSVVN7

Just extract to a folder called LibremSpot in your home folder. Just in case somebody wants to use this project.
Also I hope it's easy to see that the boot-up video is mostly fast forward (to get under 120 sec).

Attached: Plasma-Mobile.jpg (830x498, 47K)

I did.
I'm not happy that I did, really, I wish I didn't have to, but the large corporations really aren't giving me any choice.
For what little I use my phone for, I'm sure it'll be fine, so for me the problem is the symbolic and social issues. You have to know certain obscure facts to want to buy it, but people today have been coached to hate and fear others who know of obscure threats they don't. I had to get it, because I have to hide the fact that I know such things from those who would seek to erode human rights away. Furthermore, initial incompatibilities with proprietary (spyware) messaging and social media apps means this isn't a phone that'll make you look like a well connected, sociable, active and engaged person, and people don't want to make friends with people who aren't that, but that can be solved by having another, more botnetty phone.
But if you want to try porting FOSS android apps to it, Purism does tell you ways to contribute to the codebase and how to design apps on their site.

Every 'problem' you listed is why I want this phone.

Unless it's a 4.3 inch frame with a high display ratio I'm not going to buy it. But it's a great idea and will hopefully be usable for the basic things.

Because they have no final product and they're saying they are delivering in Q3. I'm doubtful.

That's valid but I guess the worst that could happen would be a further delay. So if you have a working phone (and enough money for it) I don't think it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

To build an open source economy you first need to build an open source smartphone.

...and if anybody does that best it's Purism+Gnome/KDE with the alternatives lagging pretty far behind.

Attached: fzl49cpll0f21.jpg (960x1280, 207K)

They have at least made this.
youtube.com/watch?v=wJvAvr8j4gw

fuck this overpriced shit.

Yes, but you got to consider how hard it is to get something like that working at all. This is the first version. And:

>A similar concern is what I call the Arts and Crafts Dilemma, after the idealistic design movement at the start of the Twentieth Century: To deliver small runs of ethical products, manufacturers have to charge high prices that keep their products out of the hands of most buyers.Weaver admits that “we do have to charge prices that are higher than [would be] possible if we had huge volumes.” However, he adds that “we are comparable in price to other high-end hardware from Apple, Dell, and Lenovo, and our Librem 5 phone is significantly less than some mobile phone offerings.” For example, the forthcoming Apple X will retail at $999, compared with the Librem 5’s $599.
>In the end, Weaver says, “people fund Purism products because they believe what we believe – that ethical products are important – so we can leverage that to form a beach-head, and expand up into the supply chain, and pass on volume discounts to users in the future. It is a strong, long-term business strategy, designed to change the future for the better.”
linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Librem-5-and-the-Challenge-of-the-Free-Phone

only when the forsake the heretical ways of a fucking foot and gettign GNOMED

and join the true church of XFCE-comfy