Are 32 gb of ram a meme?

are 32 gb of ram a meme?

Attached: corsair-vengeance-lpx-ddr4-3200-pc4-25600-32gb-2x16gb-cl16.jpg (800x800, 72K)

(((Ram)))

if it's DDR3, no
if it's DDR4, yes

why?

just upgrade from 8gigs ddr3 to 16. don't notice a difference

There are only two possible amounts of RAM. Namely "enough" and "not enough". If you start swapping, you don't have enough and need more. If you don't swap, you have enough and don't need more.

back in my day 4gb was considered a meme

640k krew representing

This, greedy rat kikes don't want you to know you can download ram for free

I have 48 gb

>I have 48 gb

I bet you have lots of sex

You tell me

Attached: screenfetch.png (866x337, 176K)

I have 512mb i get along fine

It really depends on what you need it for and in most cases 8/16GB + using a second SSD for virtual RAM (ie swap/paging file) is good enough for almost everything albeit maybe with a second or two of lag.

Typically when compared to spinning rust (ie HDD) RAM is faster because of its multi GB/s random 4KB read/write performance. Whereas spinning rust can at best do 1 MB/s. This huge performance gap blurs when comparing RAM to SSDs as random 4KB read/write performance can edge anywhere between 50-200MB/s depending on type of NAND used, controller quality, and whether an intel processor with all security mitigations enabled is used (tl;dr 4KB perf is cut in half). It's still not as fast as actual RAM but irl only high bandwidth applications will endure a significant noticeable drop in performance.

>tl;dr
You probably don't need it, just use a second SSD and run virtual RAM from it

No it is not, firefox almost uses all of that

Attached: 1564010981.png (752x131, 8K)

How he fuck you use that much? I have 64GB and barely know what the fuck to do with it besides RAMDisk? Paid 65$ before you ask why that much RAM

>just use a second SSD and run virtual RAM from it
That sounds stupid, why use a SSD for RAM, what am I missing here?

You are like a baby

Attached: gigawatts.png (688x74, 5K)

No, in FL Studio the heavier instruments stack up quickly, topped with having a browser open and you're using 20GB+ as a minimum so 32GB gives you the leeway to be productive without drawbacks

WTF is your machine? An old server?

If you're doing a bunch of shit with VMs and do work simeltaneosly in them then its very useful. I have 12GB and its enough for a few Lubuntu machines so i can practice 1337 h4xor skillz.

>How he fuck you use that much? I have 64GB and barely know what the fuck to do with it besides RAMDisk? Paid 65$ before you ask why that much RAM
Run simulations faggot

>what am I missing here?
he thinks he is a computer genius for doing that

just like linux users think they are geniuses for using linux

Because although it's not as fast as actual RAM , it's in most cases "good enough". Using a dedicated SSD for virtual RAM means your OS partition won't slow to a crawl when virtual RAM is needed. Performance will very the chinkier the SSD gets ofc.

Although it won't be as fast as actual RAM, most people mostly won't notice the difference from real RAM.

Old is relative, this is just one of my ESX nodes.

Yes, but I bought it anyway so in 5 years when it isn't a meme anymore I don't have to worry about it.

Are you paying bills or editing videos?

What do you mean? Me running simulations or it is what you are doing? I was wondering what you are doing to load 19GB with Firefox only? You have thousands of tabs opened?
Why calling me a faggot?

Thanks, weird reason and functioning but as long it works as needed

Upgraded from 16 gb to 64 gb today and still easily run out when doing cfd

What kind of simulations?

I don't know, ask him >Run simulations faggot

What kind of simulations

Depends on what you're doing. I have 64GB of 2800 DDR4 on an aging Z170 platform I got before the price hikes started.
I do a lot of image editing and scanning of large sources and would often go over 32GB. It's nice to not have to worry. I can keep hundreds of chrome tabs open, work on different projects at once and even dedicate some space to a RAMdrive if I want.

People go around spouting: X is enough, I've seen it with all varieties over the years, 256MB is enough, 512MB is enough, 1GB is enough, 2GB is enough! More recently it became the 4, 8 and 16GB crowd but it's the same story.
Buy what you can use and if you use your PC for work then buy what you need and if your productivity is being harmed then buy more RAM.

If, for whatever reason, you are running several virtual machines, compiling several large programs and running modern browsers at the same time, then no. 32 GB ram is essential.

Is dual channel a meme?

64 gb in the Jow Forums approved size for ddr4.
Anything lower is a meme

Attached: 1424468231507.jpg (1335x2048, 373K)

if it's EDO, yes
if it's fast page, no

As someone who doesn't routinely run multiple VMs, it's basically only there so that I never, ever have to worry about RAM. I can run a temporary Source server for some friends while playing the game myself and having some other game idling in the background, say including very heavily modded Minecraft that has 16GB allocated because Java, and I can do all that and still have the freedom to forget about the three browser windows I have open with 20-100 tabs each, and then I still have maybe 8-10GB left to do whatever else I could want without ever having to consider whether I might need to close something and without ever having anything swap out (potentially without having swap).

Is it necessary though? Fuck no, I have no reason to do any of the above. I could close my idling single-player games, trim my tabs down, maybe restart some stuff if it's leaking, whatever. Browsers can be just closed and tabs will be restored when I restart then later. 16GB is honestly enough if you aren't doing retarded shit like me, 8GB is perfectly useful if you're willing to do some manual housekeeping occasionally and keep an eye on what you have open.

You also sound like a man with a big monitor. No pun intended.

128gb isnt even enough for me, unless i enable dynamic ram

It's not a new concept, people running out of RAM back in the day with XP running on their HDD using 512 byte sectors with fragmentation filled to more than half of their total capacity would cause computers to freeze up and when people went to pull the plug it would sometimes cause system files to become corrupted and possibly brick the computer.

The solution was to instead put the paging file on another HDD. That way when RAM ran out the virtual RAM being used did not choke the OS. This was still a significantly slow form of virtual RAM as only 50-100 read/write 4KB IOPS could be honored. Modern SSDs today are capable of honoring 200,000-800,000 read/write 4KB IOPS making them similar to actual RAM irl performance.

For example say you need 50MB worth of web page media/text loaded in a browser tab, the SSD would at worst complete this in 1 second assuming fast processor and stable/fast internet connection. Actual RAM would do this virtually instantaneously but it would be hard to tell which one was faster to most people making it "good enough".

just disable page file faggot

You're not a very smart man are you?
>"lul just spend $100s more on RAM and when you run out just keep buying more lmao"

Attached: 1-7.png (357x184, 8K)

virtual fucking ram, are you fucking retarded.

Isn't that what datacenters are doing with NVME drives? Instead of using 128GB of ECC RAM, they just duct tape a couple of NVME drives together in RAID 10 and use like 16GB of RAM and max out the virtual RAM in windows? Why else is intel going to sell their floptane as 512GB sticks of "RAM"?

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_tomcoughlin_files_2018_06_Intel-DDR-Optane.png (960x531, 318K)

I have an i5-4440 with 2x 4gig Ram at 1600

I ordered 2x more to make my box 16gb total
I'm not sure I'll experience a difference either, but it was only 20 bucks for the extra 8 gigs, so we'll see
I just got a Radeon Rx570 and it plays modern games really well, but the game mechanics fuck up compared to my modern i8750. But I'm thinking it might be my RAM. We'll see in a week when they come in the mail

What an abortion; are you really running Ubuntu on your powermac?

>they just duct tape a couple of NVME drives together in RAID 10 and use like 16GB of RAM and max out the virtual RAM in windows?
They don't do that because that would be really good at destroying drives
If you have a workload like database shit that really wants RAM you instead use actual RAM

>Why else is intel going to sell their floptane as 512GB sticks of "RAM"?
Optane is different from NAND, it's not like they are putting an SSD on a DIMM, Optane has the endurance and speed so it can be a RAM replacement, it's also persistent

>floptane
It's only a flop because it really doesn't benefit consumers all that much, the concept works otherwise

>simulations
Explain.

this

Attached: 24gb not enough.png (710x632, 33K)

Not him but say you do put 4 NVME drives in raid 0 and use that as paging file. Would formatting the block size to say 128KB, improve throughput or is the nature of addressing those NVME drives as just a giant page file going to force it to do 4KB block size operations inside the 128KB block format it's supposed to have?

Asking because I understand RAM addresses data in 4KB blocks, right?

Attached: Screen_Shot_20180819_at_03.16.42.png (914x1288, 823K)

You don't swap until you do, dumbass. Like when you have just turned on the computer. There's only 2 or 3 gigs of ram usage. Then when you open 5 virtual machines, your ram usage explodes.

Attached: 1557158556026.jpg (1024x576, 413K)

Anything below 64gb of DDR3 is a meme with how fucking cheap it is now

Unless you have hundreds of active tabs each rendering a heavy website, that's a memory leak if i've ever seen one.

If you watch a lot of Youtube and shit, you may have a faulty GPU driver. Disable hardware acceleration in Firefox and see if RAM usage blows up like that again.

Do RTS games use a ton of RAM? I ran some app on my 16gb desktop that showed Company of Heroes taking ~4gb at peak load, it lagged when there was lots of units and stuff going on my screen. But then I tested it with 8gb, same peak load but it was lagging a lot more. wtf is this,

Not if you want to "play" Star Citizen with Chrome open in the background.

Basically, if you have to ask, you don't need it.

8GB will be enough for your average web user for the next 5 years. Hell you could still be using 4GB assuming you're using Linux or macOS, god help you if you're using Windows.
16GB will be enough for your gaming needs for the next 5 years, assuming no background processes.
32GB+ for workstation computers.

you want at least dual if not quad.

>As someone who doesn't routinely run multiple VMs, it's basically only there so that I never, ever have to worry about RAM. I can run a temporary Source server for some friends while playing the game myself and having some other game idling in the background, say including very heavily modded Minecraft that has 16GB allocated because Java, and I can do all that and still have the freedom to forget about the three browser windows I have open with 20-100 tabs each, and then I still have maybe 8-10GB left to do whatever else I could want without ever having to consider whether I might need to close something and without ever having anything swap out (potentially without having swap).
This is fascinatingly wasteful. I admire how self-aware you are about it.
>16GB is honestly enough if you aren't doing retarded shit like me, 8GB is perfectly useful if you're willing to do some manual housekeeping occasionally and keep an eye on what you have open.
8gb here, works fine.
I actually used a 4gb laptop most of last year, that was kind of tough though.

my 8gb ddr2 800 still works fine in my shitpost box
my server has 32gb ddr3
depends on your use case.

>a meme
Just get what you need and stop listening to poor and autistic FagPad users who just use their computers for text documents only.
I have over 32GB because I multitask and use highs memory programs in the process.
Some people barely use half of their 16GB (minimum required for a new workstation in 2019).
I think 32GB isn't a bad amount.

Attached: 1563890521652.jpg (1920x1080, 258K)

Is there any convenient good laptop with 32gigs?

I don't want to bring bulky 5kgs monster everywhere

Attached: zZhIzI3.jpg (3332x2221, 757K)

i have 64 gb ddr4 3000 corsair vengance
i use affter effects in 4k 60fps
i need this 64 gb
100% used

I remember having to fuck around with these as engineering samples.
They're an absolute pain in the ass.
Can't really speak for the performance though they still require a certain amount of real ram be installed in the system.

16gb is way under the minimum for a workstation in 2019. Most workstations my company's rolling out this year are 128gb or 256gb. The general office PCs have 16gb now.

No
32gb not enough you should 64gb or better even 128gb.
With factory flood causing shortage can see why you think not buy more ram.
But less ram = slow computer
Need more ram for league of legend and StarCraft II esport
No buy on sale make ram slow
Now go buy 256gb 4600mhz ram
Make computer fast
--sent from my samsung galaxy s10

>Flooding
Hmm

Attached: Gooby car suspicious.png (386x269, 38K)

What kind of man has a computer that uses ddr2 and yet also has his own server?

I have 32gb of RAM just because I have no interest in worrying about my RAM usage.

I mean workstation, not deskserver.

It depends on how much multitasking you're doing. I'm a photographer/videographer and run into trouble with my 16gb sometimes because I'll have Lightroom, Photoshop, a filter suite, Chrome, Spotify, and messaging apps all open at the same time.

I gravely need a 2x16GB kit for my blender work, but RAM prices are going up yet again and they have returned above 200$

Fucking koreans should be nuked off the earth

>chrome

found your problem

Run faggot simulations

Yes, and industrial CAD shit has often required 32gb for a while, plus the browser shit the engineers have open at the same time.
Multiple underground drill tracking or emulation of such for testing can require over 128gb, and each team normally wants at least one on-site computer capable of handling such, so that if shit hits the fan and offsite virtualisation falls through then they can still work, also security concerns were there for a while before the microwave link from the server farm to main building was established so all critical shit was run on onsite shit only
Plus you also have the graphic artists who want 64gb or so and sometimes even run out of that.
16gb is not enough for a modern workstation

anyone who tells you you can have too much ram is a coping poorfag

In 5 years it won't be a meme

You can never have enough RAM

>8gb here, works fine.
I have 8GB on my thinkpad, yeah 99% of the time it's fine. But sometimes if you're running some "demanding" thingy that takes a few GB (a game, a solver, whatever), then you have a browser taking up 1.5GB, then the OS and background services (especially if you run something like GNOME, which I don't but people do) things start adding up and if you're not careful you start swapping. And running multiple demanding games is out of the question.

32 gigs on a modern laptop means two ram sticks. which is most proper slick laptops.

I need it to run some software which allows 1 replication per CPU core. Each replication uses 3.5-4gb of ram; so I can get double the productivity out of more RAM.

Attached: 1549114991258.png (351x82, 7K)

Attached: nah.png (204x60, 1K)

a healthy svchost.exe will that up too