How many of you have actually read pic related? Seems like no one has ever fully gotten through it

How many of you have actually read pic related? Seems like no one has ever fully gotten through it

Attached: have you read your SICP today.jpg (400x579, 50K)

It's shit why would I? lmaaao

It's jewish garbage only dumb hobos fall for.

Here. I found it boring. Unforunately I first picked it up after several years of already writing lisps.

>reading
>on Jow Forums

Attached: We_Don't_Do_That_Here.jpg (794x575, 81K)

I guarantee less than 1% of Jow Forums has read this and less than 10% use linux daily.

Why is this book shilled so hard?

While 99% still don’t know what browser they should use if they want to be one of the cool kids in Jow Forums

Because of its obscurity for nerd credit. It has no direct practical value and is equivalent to reading Finnegan's Wake. I'm not saying it's bad and I own a copy that I browse casually out of interest.

I read the first chapter.

I read it 3 or 4 times with few months in between dedicated to projects. Every time I learned something new...

Obscurity is pushing it, it’s shilled cause it’s a common text book used by CS profs

Can you name a prof using this book in the last 30 years? It was taught by a prolific prof and author of the book Hal Abelson.

I got to section 1.2 before getting bored

I did. It's not like TAOCP, where people are actually LARPing, it's perfectly doable in a few months.

Because it's good, and it's often obvious how many "professionals", even on this board, have never read something comparable, considering they brag about this and that, but are ignorant of basic, fundamental concepts.

read about half, very good book but it takes time to get through. will finish eventually and also try to finish the dragon book.

Finished it two months or so back. I merely skimmed the last chapter but I plan to go back to it.
None of its concepts are unique to this book and you can learn all of it elsewhere as well.
That said, it's probably the easiest way to broaden your horizon as a programmer. Very much recommended.

The first two chapters can be boring. I'd say the third and fourth chapter are worth pulling through. And even though the first chapter was boring for me as well, I found it worthwhile as I got to the later chapters.

Torn on whether or not to read it, can't tell if it's a stupid meme or something I should genuinely read.

Skim, noobo.

>woman author

That's a yikes from me dawg

It's Lynx right?

i've most of it and watched all the lectures

it was instrumental in making programming finally "click" for me, as were TPOP and the unix programming environment, two other good books

*read most

but it's one of the most well known books on software development

Sorry, I'm not a filthy fucking centrist.

(loop (print (eval (read))))
the ultimate program

I have in in the post right now. I don't expect to finish it (it's like 800 pages), but I've been told you can learn loads just from a single chapter if you're not already familiar with real computer science concepts (actual algorithms and that), so I'm pretty excited.

TPOP = The Practice Of Programming?

I've read The Unix Programming Envrionment and The Go Programming Language so far. Both of those helped me tremendously. Might pick up TPOP just because I'm a Brian Khernigan fanboy at this point, then try SICP.

I've gotten through to 1.3 and felt like a total retard. It felt like I was just writing algorithms and not learning anything new. I'll still continue working my WAY through. However, I've also heard How To Design Programs is the brainlet/easier to approach version of SICP and might try my hand at that

Attached: confused slowbro.jpg (500x264, 44K)

If you're a fanboy, definitely read The Awk Programming Language.
It describes a very useful language and explores a few unexpected things in later chapters. As with all good programming language books, you don't learn only the language.
AFAIR it also explores some of the design rationale of good domain-specific languages but I might confuse that part with a paper by Kernighan I read once.

How to Design Programs 2nd Edition is better

Why? I've heard it's good but haven't really been given a reason. I'd definitely like to try it if it's worthwhile

Pic always makes me think of the Game Genie booklet.

Attached: gamegenie.jpg (450x450, 37K)

its on my shelf

its secret firefox