Thunderstorm is incoming

>thunderstorm is incoming
>my mom shuts down laptop that isn't even connected to power and starts praying

Attached: 1540111902539.gif (212x199, 246K)

>Parents take a surprise flight to come visit me
>I have my server and main PC connected to their own UPS
>My entire house also has a giant battery I charge with solar panels, I've I pull less than 10% of my power requirements from the local grid
>Local grid went down, my battery takes a second to engage
>Both UPS's make loud pitched beeps to signal that they're running on battery now
>I had gone out for groceries while they made themselves at home
>Both PCs are off when I got home
>Parents started frantically unplugging everything because the power had gone out for a literal second and the beeps scared them

Fucking ridiculous. How do people grow up to be so ignorant? Not even about everything else, but their first instinct when they hear a beep from a device they don't know what it does, is to unplug random devices plugged into it?

beeps = bad, at least thats how they write television shows, and their entirely is probably entirely dictated by what they show on ncis

>work van is parked down the street
>little brother starts microwaving his hard drives

Attached: 1322531485272.jpg (192x245, 10K)

>My entire house also has a giant battery I charge with solar panels
enjoy cancer

The battery is separate from the house by almost an entire acre just in case the thing grenades.

>thunderstorm little over a month ago
>friends 3000€ PC got completely fried, everything is toast
>no insurance

Attached: 1561069572318.png (566x543, 263K)

KEK.

Attached: 1498248090275.gif (500x500, 250K)

>in case the thing grenades
Is that an Apple or a Tesla battery

>>in case the thing grenades
>Is that an Apple or a Tesla battery
Prius

>lightning came through my ethernet and fried my mobo and router
copper shouldn't exist

Attached: 1564065321165.jpg (1280x1707, 355K)

O nice.

>picrel
lol what a bullshit

>hurricane matthew passing over my island
>power still on so Im on my PC
>window very slightly open because I like a little breeze
>mom says lightning will come through the window, go through my computer and shock me
where the fuck do people get these uneducated beliefs from? what the fuck
literally any time theres a storm she thinks I shouldnt be near my pc at all

Attached: autism.gif (480x270, 512K)

>praying nature doesn't murder her like the rock banging cave beast she is

>not routing ethernet through a surge protector
what are you doing

>not routing the landline through a surge protector

you want them to guess on the spot one the power goes out and things start to beep that everything is OK because it justs "our son's toys"? Bet you didn't even tell them about your autistic setup. I would have panicked for my sons stuff too if I heard a beeping and didn't know where it came from.

>their first instinct when they hear a beep from a device they don't know what it does, is to unplug random devices plugged into it?
yes
i'm 29 and was taught to unplug stuff that make loud, unexpected noises
what you describe doesn't surprise me in the least
yea.. maybe they have called to make sure before unplugging things they don't recognize (since they should know they have no baseline for what is "unexpected"), but still, they're probably old enough to have seen what can happen when electricity goes bad, and wanted to be on the safe side, so they acted first, better safe than sorry and all that

Based and knuckledragging nigger pilled

Erring on the side of caution when an unexpected alarm goes off seems completely reasonable.

>UPS is an "autistic setup"
Why are you even on Jow Forums?
I'm sorry but if a single beep is enough to make you run around unplugging everything, you're a mouth breather that doesn't bong around technology. And yes, they should know what the thing is that's beeping as I bought them a similar UPS for their home PC because of frequent outages caused data corruption. I even explained how it worked to them. They're only late 40's/early 50's. Not like they're ancient.

In the end it was no harm no foul, but unexpected. I thought they were smarter than that. At least a call to ask what it was would have made sense

You're just a young turd that grew up with faggot technology.
Back in their time, a piece of technology beeping meant something was wrong.
They did well and your setup is autistic

look, people who don't into computer don't have that fear of data loss/filesystem corruption that can come from hard powerloss burned into their heads, and nearly every other electric device can be safely unplugged whenever
you weren't using the machine at the time (again, to people who don't into computer, not sitting at computer = not using it), so they most likely saw absolutely zero harm in unplugging it

No need to be angry Grandpa

>muh act of god
don't trust the kikes (not that I know anyone who has had their electronics broken from thunder and lightning).

>look, people who don't into computer don't have that fear of data loss/filesystem corruption that can come from hard powerloss burned into their heads, and nearly every other electric device can be safely unplugged whenever
>you weren't using the machine at the time (again, to people who don't into computer, not sitting at computer = not using it), so they most likely saw absolutely zero harm in unplugging it
Yea they were sorry and said they were hoping to prevent a fire. I wasn't angry, just amazed that this was their thought pattern. Might explain why I've had to reformat their home PC so many times

An acre is a unit of area, you total tard.

how do you feel now that you know that they unplug their computer when their UPS goes off?
give a man a fish...

Maybe he means a square acre smartass.

Thanks captain autism
Frustrated. I thought the corruption was on my end. Bad ISO, or bad build quality of parts or something. They have a Samsung Pro SSD and WD Enterprise grade HDD in their PC now. What kills me is I even showed them what the UPS is and how it works. They grasped it well. It's like the little.beeo triggers the reptilian part of their brain

Great people otherwise.

if you can't teach them, just make it retard-proof
disable the beep, and set the computer to shutdown when the UPS is low on power
loud noises scare people, it's a basic biological response, if they have to be reminded what it is rather than just remembering on their own, they will respond by unplugging it to make it stop beeping, simple as that
you're not going to make people not interesting in computers interested in computers, like like your mum can't make you interested in shoes

>Why are you even on Jow Forums?
My servers are on datacenters offshore but I'm setting up a homelab so I'm getting UPSs next month. They are still autistic as fuck. I won't even tell my engineers friend I bought them along raid controllers and other technical equipment.

True.

What's it like being such a loser that you're self conscious about admitting you bought what amounts to a fucking battery? It's not like it's a niche product. They sell them at Best buy for fucks sake

-- and if you're thinking "but it only beeps once!", just remember that they don't know that, they're already rushing over to unplug it

honestly, the hardest part about IT is putting yourself in the average users' shoes
at least for us autismos

Acres are not usually defined as square. The standard acre is 66 by 660 feet.

It's not autistic. Don't use acres as a unit of distance. Saying "it's an acre away" is close to meaningless. When someone asks you your battery capacity do you answer in amps? When someone asks for your storage capacity do you say "16,000 ISOs"? Use correct units.

okay retard

lmao. How far away was that Prius battery which was hacked up by a person who doesn't know the difference between distance and area? I wouldn't want to be with within a mile of it.

That's not even me you knuckle dragger. And acre just sounds normal compared to 0.0016 miles. Or 69.97 yards.

crnge

Seems like your mom had a rough life.

That's not how long an acre is.

her father (my grandpa) was sent to ural and probably died there

I'll admit I don't use acres so youre most likely right

Attached: Screenshot_20190725-154345_Google.jpg (1080x2220, 501K)

No, you don't understand. No matter how many feet you give, it can never be right. An acre is a unit of area of arbitrary shape.

That's a square acre, but usually an acre is a thin rectangle. If someone said "It's 5 football fields away," I'd take it as 1,800ft, as you always know they're talking about the length (360ft) of a standard football field, which isn't a unit of area, it's a unit defining a rectangle of a specific length and width.
You assumed a square acre, but my first though was, "Does he mean 660 feet?" An acre is not traditionally square, it's rectangular, but it can be any shape. Some regions use square or square-ish divisions for land, others use rectangles of varying ratio. Occasionally you'll find strange polygons, but it doesn't matter. An acre is a unit of area, so in every case each bounded region 43,560sq-ft is an acre.
If you clarify by saying, "It's a square acre away," then it's probably fine since one would assume you're talking about the the distance of one side, but still it could be the distance between two corners instead. If you were to truly clarify, you'd say "It's one side of a square acre away". Why the fuck not just say, "It's about 200 feet away," if that's what you mean?
Fucking phoneposters, I swear.

You have some severe autism. I say this sincerely, unironically and without humor. Get help.

How long is an acre?
Even regular-ass normies know better than to say, "It's an acre away". Might as well say, "It's 3 gallons of gas away". Fucking nonsense. Your muh autism damage control can't wipe away how retarded you are.

He's right though. Literally nobody knows how far an acre is, but everyone in countries that matter knows how far 200 feet is.

Just stop. It will take this user literal light years of studying to understand what you're saying.

my plugs are surge protected but I dunno I still think that shit is a meme

>literal light years of studying
You fucking got me

Attached: 1502250553439.jpg (189x292, 9K)

What the FUCK is an acre?

Nobody knows what an acre is because only the us uses the mst retarded measurement system on this world.

Install world/metric

Attached: metricsvsimperial.png (667x700, 45K)

my mom said that i couldnt take showers during a thunderstorm because lightning would come through the pipes, i guess she thought lightning was like light or sound in that it could reflect off surfaces? im not sure

please crop out the most wrong time formatting if you want to make a case
having something wrong in there undermines it thoroughly

international standard
YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.MS
wrong standard (one unit out of place)
MM-DD-YYYY HH:MM:SS.MS
more wrong standard (two units out of place)
DD-MM-YYYY HH:MM:SS.MS

Maybe she thought that water can conduct electricity?

>I know these look like computers but they're totally not

An area defined as one chain by one furlong.

The US, Canada, many islands, a few South Asian countries, and the UK all use acres for land measurement. It's a pretty convenient amount of land to talk about when discussing property.

Based ISO 8601 poster.

>lol burgers use retarded systems
not my fault that its the standard, and its not like im gonna be converting speed limit signs to km/h

i dont really ever turn off anything. only time when the power goes is when some retard destroys the cables when they do other work near them but that does not really happen often.

idk but i hate those beeps. its even worse if theres no way to mute it so it sits there beeping until the power returns or the battery is empty.

From where to where though? A lightning strike produces a sharp rise in local ground voltage, and your shower is bonded to earth, but where does the current flow? Out of the tap, through your body and to the drain? But the drain is bonded to earth too, so you'll also see voltage there. No or little current will flow, because the pressure is equal on both sides.

>But the drain is bonded to earth too
the drain will always be bonded but the tap may not be, depending on the household there may be water storage tanks in this process

it's still a stupid scenario to worry about, but the assumption that the water's source is ground is a mistake

>He doesn't have a electric shower head that ground the water

Even if your source is a plastic storage tank and you're using all plastic pipe, you'll still get earthing from an electric water heater, a dishwasher, a washing machine, and any number of other places. It's going to be a shitty ground since water isn't actually terribly conductive compared to copper pipe and the grounding isn't intentional, but it's a far better path to ground than through a broken up stream of shower water through a human and into the drain. It's really easy to accidentally earth large conductive things unless you're specifically careful to not do so.
And this is a very bizarre situation to begin with. 99.99% of the time, your water is earthed really well.

a ups doesnt beep just once. it keeps doing that constantly until its manually muted or power comes back and the beeps are very loud too.

>Not opening every UPS you ever buy and snipping the piezo buzzer out

>it's 60 m^2 away
Based metric to the rescue again!

>that photo
fucking boomers man lmao

if you have a proper BMS, stuff wont grenade
Personally im more of a AGM guy tho, since i dont care about weight (house) and they have a fantastic $/KWH rating
(enough battery capacity to run the house for a week costs like 2 grand if you get 100AH 12v AGM batteries)

Attached: anons house.png (2172x1444, 49K)

>Nobody knows what an acre is because only the us uses the mst retarded measurement system on this world.
The US has been the richest, and most powerful country for many decades now, so maybe you, and all the other countries are wrong, and you would be doing yourself a service if you adopted American standards for weights, and measurements.

Attached: fu.jpg (475x512, 59K)

Yeah, we should also import niggers and give them voting rights because hooray freedumbs, right?

we did it reddit

Better niggers than r*ssians

Want to explain why your retarded setup beeps in the first place?

a UPS Beeps on powerloss, while kicking in the battery power, since they are used in servers usually , its to tell the user to SAVE AND SHUT DOWN NOW as ups's usually dont last very long

This unironically can happen.
If your line gets directly struck by lightning it can bypass the ground loop and if you have a older house with all lead pipes and a metal shower head there's enough energy to jump a 1 foot gap from the metal faucet to your skull which is also wet.

Modern houses use PVC piping because it doesn't corrode and is cheaper and a side benefit that people aren't aware of it preventing that from happening.

Most of the times a transformer gets hit or a tree takes out a powerline and that just creates a surge.
Not the same as a direct hit to your house which can blow up a powersupply even connected to a surge protector.