APPLE IS BUYING INTEL'S WIRELESS CHIP DIVISION FOR $1B

APPLE IS BUYING INTEL'S WIRELESS CHIP DIVISION FOR $1B

Attached: 1564086492070.jpg (720x410, 104K)

Linux is FUCKED

finally intel will be able to overpower amd with this shot in the arm

>Intel wifi chips will soon require a dongle

sure glad i migrated to amd this generation

Attached: 1552936992037.jpg (1200x918, 81K)

gonna be great when they realize intel came up with nothing for 5G.

That sounds horrible. Intel is much more friendly to Free Software than Apple.
What will users gain from this?

What about when they still need to pay qualcomm for patents on each unit sold?

Does AMD produce wireless ICs?

I thought they were after their Atom lineup?

yeah because you know more about it than the engineers who looked over intels work

Attached: 1481746843394.png (400x389, 48K)

How would that help aplel when they don't use a single atom chip?

bring on the Israeli-Apple memes

Attached: 1373825237932.jpg (800x595, 137K)

INTEL IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

>Cook: Qualcomm are our friends again. We won't buy Intel radios anymore.
>Intel cancels all future chip plans
>Cook: hey intel are you selling that division?
damn intel got maneuvered

Come to home, white men.

Attached: atheros_ar9271.jpg (304x292, 29K)

I guess I will work for apple now.

Attached: screenshot.png (759x73, 9K)

1 billion is not a lot of money.

Was Intel hurting for money?

Intel probably spent less then a 1/th of that on r&d, so they profited on one of the many things that they start, and drop.

Intel is the only company that makes decent networking chips for computers.
Some of you weenies might use Broadcom or Realtek, but I guess you also enjoy poor connectivity and fiddling with your settings on loonix.

Can't wait for the brave new 3G.

4g+++++++

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1546074267353.png (1258x758, 1.16M)

> be apple
> eternally BTFO
> sees how Intel couldn't provide a 5g modem for them quick enough
> let's just settle our legal issues and buyout the entire division
> still no 5g modem coming now or even later
LMAO

> overpower arm
you really have no fucking idea how computers work, do you chong?
not in the slightest.

ahh.. what a non-event.

what are the ramifications of this?

Apple now has more employees in Europe.

OOF

Attached: 1553072111022.png (647x963, 406K)

this post was brought you by: computer illiterate AMDrones that have no idea what they're talking about.
iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1561762161680.png (700x447, 483K)

>applel are kikes
>qualcomm are kikes
>kikes trying to outkike each other
>qualcomm wins and BTFOs applel
>applel stuck with intel shit in their lagPhones
>doubles down on their slow dying horse
kek

Attached: 1545378705516.png (785x731, 197K)

Qualcomm blows but their cellular modems are second to none.

IT JUST KEEPS TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN

I wonder if Apple will double down on poojeets or clean house on Intel.

Why would Apple do this? Intel's wireless is poo tier.

So what does mean for the world exactly? My memepad uses an intel wifi card

They did it, so they could control it. In reality it might work better, because there will be less strain on their network.

It's way easier to improve intels tech than try to create a qualcomm competitor from scratch

need patents, have team, can steal some key employees from qualcomm and improve it.

>“Today we announced the sale of the majority of our 5G smartphone modem business to Apple,” Intel CEO Bob Swan said
not wireless in general, but the failing cellular unit

> Intel has retained the option to continue to work on next-gen 5G infrastructure for network operators, telecommunications equipment makers, and cloud service providers. The company also retains critical IP and modem technology and can builds 5G modems for PCs, IoT devices, and autonomous vehicles. If Intel finds that its PC platforms need a 5G modem, it can equip them with an in-house solution – assuming of course that it makes financial sense. At this point however, it's important to note that Intel isn't announcing anything specific regarding future non-smartphone modems; the company is only saying that it has retained the rights to make those modems if it desires.

This. Fucking hell they got played.

Intel is only selling the 4G/5G modem business to Apple since Apple hates Qualshit and their greedy double dipping so much

>Apple hates a company for being greedy even though they agreed to everything

I don't think they got played, they got $1B in cash and retained the majority of the IP AND the rights to continue building modems for other devices besides smartphones.

they will now

>overpower arm
are you retarded? that's not what he wrote. kys

you're right. im going blind. not even kidding. suicide in progress

cool
stream it

Qualshit management pretty much SEETHING because they know Apple will outengineer them with their huge hundreds of billion of dollars warchest and they'll lose a big customer once Apple integrates the modem into the Axx SoC

It’s pretty funny seeing Jow Forums trying to figure out how to react to this since you guys have an irrational hatred of both apple and intel. Someone needs to make a “itoddlers btfo????” Picture to capture the mood.

Anyway time will tell if this is a good move for Apple, but I can’t imagine long term this is good for intel, giving up on yet another market, it really seems like they are doing nothing lately but giving up ground and generally losing. Worries me a bit since a lot of jobs near me depend on intel, and I have mostly liked their chips over the years as well aside from the security shit lately.

>housefires intensify

Attached: 1563925438810.png (496x736, 292K)

Apple certainly could do that, but is crashing Qualcomm important enough to them to warrant that kind of expenditure?

Do you think apple bought intel's smartphone modems for shits and giggles?

Well worth it, Apple has been vertically integrating all the major parts of their SoC, CPU, GPU, ISP, NVME controller, motion coprocessor and now 4G/5G modem is the final piece of the puzzle

Hello
I know nothing about processors or computers or anything. like, how anything works.
(i just clicked on Jow Forums out of boredom)

Can someone explain to me how Intel and AMD can do laptop and desktop chips really well but can't into mobile?
And how Qualcom/ARM and to a lesser extent Samsung and Apple can make mobile device chips but can't into 'PC' chips?
I remember Intel trying to compete in Android before giving up

Are 'PC' and mobile device chips/computing really so radically different that these super powerful super rich corporations can only do one at a time? that they can't compete on the other platform even if they tried?

Attached: 1562812339794.png (550x1100, 485K)

Based and Redpilled

>1/th

>that photoshop

different architectures.

ARM vs x86.

ARM is more restricted in what it can accomplish. x86 is more general purpose, and can do almost anything, but at the expense of extra power draw for similar performance, but the architecture is much more flexible and thus more suited for "real" computing devices, like laptops and desktops.

Qualcomm licenses their chips as a % of the base price of the device they are used in. Appel got mad that they were paying more for the same chips in their phones compared with budget chinkshit, so they refused to pay more and got sued and blacklisted by Qualcomm.

Good catch. You should get a job as the next Maevis beacon.

You get the most stupid idiot of the day award. Share with us exactly which wireless solutions AMD makes. I'll wait.

>That sounds horrible
yeah it does but it's luckily just a clickbait headline; Intel's only selling the 5G stuff.

I was slightly worried that Intel was handing over their WIFI stuff to Apple and that would have been bad for everyone using machines with Intel's WIFI chips. Regardless of what you think about their various products: They are the absolute best company when it comes to free software drivers. Well, so far. Realtek actually changed their tune dramatically three months ago (I follow the kernel mailing list more closely than most) and something could come from that.

>can't into mobile?
Intel tried. I guess you didn't notice? Intel spent A LOT of money - like a whole lot - trying to get their low-powered Atom mobile chips into phones and tablets. ASUS made some phones called "ZenPhone" based on Intel Atom CPUs. And there were A LOT of dirt-cheap tablets with them for about a year. Intel was giving away their Atom chips just to get them into consumer products.

I still have a 7" tablet with a Atom CPU and it is the worst lagdroid tablet I have ever had, used or seen. Playing a video on it makes it overheat after 5 minutes. It's so bad and it was years behind other Android SOCs when it was released. I can't tell you "why" but I can tell you Intel tried and failed miserably.

>and they'll lose a big customer once Apple integrates the modem into the Axx SoC
Yeah, but on the other hand, this removes Intel from the modem competition, and Apple doesn't sell their chips to anyone so they're not a replacement competitor. It's probably a net win for Qualcomm.

Looks like only qualcomm atheros will be firmware free wifi chip from now on....

Sucks because intels ethernet NIC and wifi chips have always been upstreamed. :{

I even got my AMD x470 because it had intel NIC + intel m.2 wifi instead of realtek+broadcom.

I DONT WANT TO RUN BLOBBY KERNEL MODULES BROOOOOOOOS

aricrack-ng also thinks it's based

Attached: screenshot.png (583x688, 108K)

Does that make Qualcomm a monopoly for non-apple products?

>intel shit in their lagPhones
but they use ARM tho

Not that guy and thanks for explaining the difference, but you really didn’t answer his question. I have seen some of Intels fabs, just one site of theirs has like a dozen different fabs and research buildings etc. I share that guys curiosity, why can’t they do mobile chips? Intel especially, since they have been making chips since the beginning and are a massive company. How did they let this get away from them? Surely they saw mobile chips being a big thing if not before anyone else surely around the same time, they were certainly poised to be in the mix with their experience making chips and existing fabs. They are only one of a few companies that can make chips on earth. They should by all rights at least be a competitor. It seems like a major fuckup, like collossal, to not be in there competing for the mobile market especially considering mobile sales have been trending up(and will likely continue) and laptop/desktop sales have been trending down(and will likely continue). It seems like a no brainer, they should have gone all in, and if they had they would have at least some market share which in the mobile market is gold, that market is going nowhere(but up)

I warned you, bros.
I warned you about the staircase GOING DOWN!

Attached: it keeps HAPPENING.png (604x281, 22K)

Because intel doesn't do ARM, they don't have the IP nor any experience fabbing ARM stuff.

They tried to cram x86 into a power envelope that would compete with ARM, and it was pretty much a failure, was still more power hungry and had like half the performance of similar ARM chips.

Doesn't Intel sell shit all the time?

>bait this low quality
you need to go back

> Worries me a bit since a lot of jobs near me depend on intel,
oy vey

Attached: intel-aviv.jpg (1500x1054, 441K)

Not 'all' the shit. But you'll see in due time.
I'm gone now, see you space cowboys.

>Jun 2019
Thanks for the warning. It only came after Qualcomm/Apple settlement, and the rumours of Apple eying Intel's 5g chip business.

What’s the problem? Surely you know how it goes with having manufacturing in your area. It brings in money, if it goes down my area takes a massive hit, and it effects tons of other jobs, really it effects all other jobs. I don’t think it’s jewish to care about the welfare of yourself, your friends, family and community. And if it is then so be it, I don’t want to be the other way.

>botnet wireless card nobody wants

itoddlers indeed btfo

Which location are you near? Haifa? Qiryat Gat?

I get that it’s different. What I’m saying is that someone started making them, and no one was in a better position(perhaps the same position but not better) to do it then intel. They would have had to create new architecture fine, they did it before, and others clearly did it. With all their resources and experience they should have been able to even get in the game late and compete. Point being, I just don’t understand how they missed the boat this badly. Mobile chips were the next big thing in the chip making game, and it was intel’s to lose, except they didn’t even bother to try. Even if my history isn’t entirely accurate and intel wasn’t on top of the chip game when mobile chips came about they were certainly a big player, and if anyone competent was in charge it seems like they should be a major player in mobile chips too. It seems like someone fucked up big time, because mobile chips>desktop chips in the long run. Lot of third worlders that will be buying smartphones, somehow(no idea how they afford it but they do)

What language is that? I’m assuming those are fabs not in the states. Tbh I don’t know where else intel makes chips. China? Israel? India? Anyway I’m near the one in Oregon. Well they have multiple actually. It’s interesting how unaware most people are of how much the economy around here depends on intel’s fabs. If they shut them down it would absolutely crush the economy for 100 sq miles, and Portland is near, but even that city wouldn’t be immune from it I think. They aren’t exactly exporting a lot of hipster glasses and “keep Portland weird” bumper stickers. Not enough to keep the economy afloat anyway

with all the huawei shit, I bet there will not be 5G. 5G is a marketing meme anyway, so they may as well rename it to 6G or some other shit

>5G is a marketing meme anyway
The unsightly antenna across the street begs to differ.

Apple contracted intel for a 5G chip, intel fucking failed to deliver and so apple buys the chip making division. Talk about rewarding failure.

I know one thing; there are no intel 5G chips.

Sup Hilsboro bro

Wow, apple is retarded. These are the guys who has the worst 4G chip and utterly failed at 5G even after intel pumped billions into it.

>Apple now has zero reason what so ever to work with Qualcomm what so ever. Interesting.
>CDMA
Irrelevant

Attached: 1558900911798.jpg (525x618, 48K)

Moron, most AM4 boards even use Intel network chips (ethernet and wireless)

>They got $1B in cash
user does not realize big boy company finances

>ahh.. what a non-event.
This

Before iPhones existed, nobody thought mobile CPUs and modems would be very important.
It was just considered some niche market that smaller companies got into because they couldn't compete against "real" CPUs.

No, it's just that their wireless chip division failed hard and was about to get closed anyway, so they might as well sell it.

>Can someone explain to me how Intel and AMD can do laptop and desktop chips really well but can't into mobile?
Intel/AMD chips require a fan to perform decently, while Apple/Qualcomn chips don't. That's because of the architecture, x86 is relatively power hungry, so it will shit the bed if you can't cool it.
>And how Qualcom/ARM and to a lesser extent Samsung and Apple can make mobile device chips but can't into 'PC' chips?
The transition is beginning right now user, Windows 10 now supports ARM Qualcomn CPUs, and Apple is rumored to release macbooks with their own CPUs by 2020 or 2021. If ARM really scales up well, x86 may be in trouble, but that will take a while.

Attached: 1460684113123.jpg (700x1047, 247K)

Wait, what will happen to my intel wifi-card?

>mfw intel is literally dying

Attached: 1542230914833.jpg (1200x1175, 83K)

>macbooks with their own CPUs by 2020 or 2021
well they can't keep selling literal sandwich presses for much longer

They spend ~3.4B per quarter on R&D, i understand perfectly well their finances, but you can't downplay a BILLION dollars.

Even if it's not a HUGE chunk of money, it's still enough to make a big impact pretty much anywhere.

Why the hell would Intel sell it for only $1B?
Are they completely mad?

They get to keep the vast majority of the IP, they just can't make modems specifically for smartphones.

They're free to make modems for IoT devices, laptops, desktop PCs, network grade equipment, etc.