OpenSUSE

> always last in phoronix Linux benchmarks
> versioning chaos
> heavy Qt5 dependencies
> slowest boot
> git master is not the trunk, it's only for releases
> most contributors are Germans who can't speak English
> SUSE Enterprise only used by tiny SAP shops

what is the purpose of this meme distro?

Attached: opensuse-282477.png (256x256, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage,
github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html
forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/523792-Realtek-rtl8192EU-USB-wifi
software.opensuse.org/package/rtl8xxxu
software.opensuse.org/package/rtlwifi_new
aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=rtl8192eu
build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:regataos/rtl8192eu
en.opensuse.org/Portal:MATE/Install
rsms.me/inter/
rootco.de/2016-03-28-why-use-tumbleweed/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it just werks for me

Just werks, YaST, rolling release, btrfs, stable...

ewwww... btrfs

>> always last in phoronix Linux benchmarks
btrfs is slower, thats the trade-off of using features like snapshots. opensuse also always choose more secure defaults like cpu mitigations and kernel version and features. all of that is tweakable even in the setup. why would an """unbiased benchmarking website""" chooses to ignore all that and also things like powersave mode it's beyond me. I heard a rumor it's because of a personal grudge
>> versioning chaos
if youre retard and or cant read, yes, big numbahs bad
>> heavy Qt5 dependencies
lol
>> slowest boot
just like fedora, you can do things like uninstalling plymouth and disabling features
im glad I decided to move to tumbleweed. it was the constant fud from the manjaro arch crowd here that made me try it. after all if Jow Forums hates something it's probably pretty good

Are these things good? I was considering switching from Fedora but OP Is making me reconsider

is btrfs stable yet?

oh and you dont EVER have to use YAST/GUI
and you can go full ext4/xfs if all you care is winning benchmarks
tumbleweed has both manual and automated testing, a really good process overall (the project was started by that greg kernel guy), and the opensuse people seem really nice
its by far the best rolling release i ever used

Should I switch to it from Fedora? Fedora has been good so far i guess

werkz on my machine but if youre one of the Jow Forumsedditors youre better just using ubuntu desu
like twice a week theres a retard that runs rm rf .snapshots "because my disk was full, btrfs sucks!!"
take the time to learn your tools or at the very least
also learn how en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage, btrfs and snapper works, they are very cool

why switch if youre happy? only change distros if you have an itch to scratch or if you want to learn something new
dont forget that tumbleweed is a rolling release so things might break specially if you use nvidia proprietary or virtualbox because they depend on kernel stuff, its just common sense really. people say its a rare thing but keep it in mind. i mean even ubuntu has problems with nvidia for the same reason
ive been using for more than a year and never had a problem. i broke the install one day on purpose to test the snapshot feature and better understand it. it worked.
my root partition is also very small like 30gb because I rebase my snapshots every month or so (with sudo snapper rollback, no extra parameters and let the cleanup happen)
sudo snapper -c root set-config "NUMBER_CLEANUP=yes"
sudo snapper -c root set-config "NUMBER_LIMIT=4"
sudo snapper -c root set-config "NUMBER_LIMIT_IMPORTANT=2-4"

im very tired today if i sound braindead is because i am sry

I think it's a fine distro, but they really need to lose YaST. 99% of that can be accomplished easily by editing files and using systemd. It's just useless bloat, not to mention still using GTK2 in a mostly KDE-centric distro.

Did you know that YaST stands for You Don't Ever Ever Have To Use The YaST GUI If You Don't Want To.
I'm an old user and I don't even know how it looks like except for the livecd. My provision.sh does everything I need.

I've been having an issue with Fedora updates fucking up my wifi among other things, and they don't offer LTS kernel (maybe im too brainlet to figure out how though)

>rolling release
did not see guess it's not a good option either for me. I want to find a distro that "just works". I've tried fedora, arch and debian

If Hitler was alive today, he would've used openSUSE.

> always last in phoronix Linux benchmarks
not true.
This can also be mitigated by using xfs or ext4 instead of the much slower default btrfs .
Also the default cpu scheduler is powersave instead of performance which helps with battery life but makes it slower, this can also be easily changed.

He would probably shoot himself as well because of that.

Hitler was a gay jew, though. Not a very compelling reason to use this distro.

Attached: opensuse.png (547x435, 95K)

all distros will be shit for you if you dont try to understand the root cause of your specific issues
you have very stable distros that very rarely breaks if they work ok after the first install like debian and sometimes even ubuntu (lts tho)
and then you have distros with models that move fast and might break things temporarily because of bugs
im lucky because i only had hardware issues once in more than a decade and all i need was to change a kernel parameter
maybe try to post on fedora forums or they official reddit
adopt a hackers pragmatic mind or you'll never be able to enjoy linux. and its ok if you dont

cute(Qt) logo

I don't know how to learn some stuff though when I've googled my general problem and don't know how to further troubleshoot due to not understanding the inner workings, I tried asking the subreddit but they didn't know or didn't reply

openSUSE is even slower than Windows Server 2016

Attached: Screenshot at 2019-07-26 02-49-45.png (3840x2160, 243K)

Opensuse leap is very outdated, like Debian, tumbleweed performs much better.
Tumbleweed had LTO enabled last week which made it much faster.
Its biggest downfall is slow as fuck btrfs which can be easily changed in the installer to the much faster xfs.

Attached: 1563825831309.jpg (608x477, 48K)

Wait did they really used 15.0? Wasn't the freeze for that like q3/q4 2017?

I have to compile a driver for a wifi adapter, anyone know what packages I should install? I have a barebones tumbleweed install, selected only desktop and essential packages to get a system running
I know I'll have to get make and gcc, what else? Searched online and there's dkms for everytime the kernel updates and linux-headers too?

Before you flood your desktop with development packages (I presume you didn't used chroot or containers), have you checked if there isn't anything on OBS or something? I never used OpenSUSE btw. What's the wifi adapter? Broadcom can suck my balls, I sold mine and bought one from intel and it's 100 times better.

Aren't intel chipset adapters all PCI-e and not usb? Not the guy you responded to but i had to compile a driver as well and it has some terrible bug too so my wifi still won't work.

I'm in the utilities industry and we're stuck on SLES 11. Please send help.

Its a TP Link TLWN822N v4 usb adapter, need to follow the compile instructions here
github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver
And yea I search high and low for all solutions, but this is the last and only one. So being a newb I'd like to know what's needed under opensuse before I compile this

intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html
iirc atheros is good too but i never used it, just bing it bruvv

>YAST
I tried OpenSUSE 15.1 and it was the first SUSE I tried in a decade. That YASY crap always was and still is a useless piece of trash.

Apart from YAST being crap, SUSE has also done some wierd decisions. Some of their "theme" packages will change a lot of configuration files in /etc so SUSE can have their "branding". I noticed this when I tried to install some xfce packages and got a message about "conflicts" with packages. I mentioned this in a short news piece - not a full review - on the OpenSUSE release. SUSE developers got really upset and tried to argue how it is required for their branding. I quite frankly don't give a damn. 20 years ago RPM had this dependency hell and conflicts. SUSE is still in a situation where you get a message saying you can't install many of the packages in their repository without uninstalling other packages. That's bullshit I do not want to deal with and I don't care what their reasons are.

SUSE is 10+ years behind in other areas too. And it will probably stay that way given that their corporate shills defend their poor design decisions.

I'm a noob too but this thread says your drivers are in the kernel. Do they suck?
forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/523792-Realtek-rtl8192EU-USB-wifi

I usually take a look at gentoo or the aur to see how other people are compiling before doing it myself.
And what about this?
software.opensuse.org/package/rtl8xxxu
software.opensuse.org/package/rtlwifi_new
aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=rtl8192eu

This one isn't building for tumbleweed though
build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:regataos/rtl8192eu

Can you help me too I am having trouble with two of my wifi adapter but im using fedora

go to official channels or even official reddits like Jow Forumsfedora and Jow Forumsopensuse if you need help with tumbleweed
I doubt there's people here who would solve your issues, maybe /fglt/ but I doubt it

oh okay ill try there

Well the system detects it, its listed under lsusb and in the network settings, but attempting to connect will fail everytime.
Thanks for the search but ultimately all those didn't work out even after a restart. Guess I'll just compile it then. By the way what do you mean by 'flood your desktop with development packages'?

Once I was in the middle of distrohopping, and I got it into my head that I wanted MATE.

I also wanted up to date software, so I opted for a rolling release.

Not wanting Arch, I turned to openSUSE Tumbleweed. Installed the netinstall since it didn't come with a MATE live CD, I figured it would be as easy as installing mate-desktop or something like that, a task maybe I'd have to look up. So I did, tried installing the first package...error.... missing some X library.

Turns out it is (or was at the time) impossible to install MATE in Tumbleweed. Blew my mind. Of course I could have opted for the better GNOME shell or KDE and been fine, but I was stubborn and wanted my MATE and I wasn't going to settle for Leap.

So I went with another distro.

openSUSE has 1% market share and is in decline. Majority of the community is over 50 years old.

LEAP won't change the simple truth, that key parts of their distro are 10 years behind (eg. package manager etc.).

i switched to ext4 after my btrfs got corrupted including the snapshots

>Majority of the community is over 50 years old.

good thing openSUSE's development is driven by billion dollar corporations and not a bunch of basement hackers

>actually want to use openSuse without Yast
>it doesn't work well without Yast
Fuck this shit!

btrfs is fine, yast is annoying and zypper is comfy. far as rolling release goes it's probably the most stable of the bunch. suse is a good distro but can be frustrating at times thanks to krautism.

>Fedora updates fucking up my wifi among other things
intel card? had to downgrade and verisonlock the driver for my 9260 is recently.

the *rch m*nj*ro /v/ fud squad has arrived as they always do
friendly reminder that you could potentially infiltrate *rch and add malware
go check how they approve new contributors to their repos, outside the AU*

No not intel card im using tp-link archer t4u and an alfa adapter both not working

when i built my machine ~8mos. ago it was the only distro that played nice with my rtx 2070. i just stuck with it since then bc why fix it if it isn't broken and i happen to like kde which suse is friends with

is there a problem here?

Attached: problem.png (1366x768, 384K)

Ok i installed it.... now what?

Attached: Screenshot_20190725_232044.png (816x469, 101K)

>Turns out it is (or was at the time) impossible to install MATE in Tumbleweed.
it sure is
en.opensuse.org/Portal:MATE/Install

oh my bad, i should have to known to install that repository during the netinstall

MATE is a redheaded stepchild in openSUSE

how to install pattern

Its the best server os for admins who cant into cli

Wow! The new SUSE CEO is a looker.

Attached: SUSE.png (506x604, 270K)

I tried that, it failed. You apparently have to enable a special repository, which would have been useful to know in the netinstall when i wanted MATE.

I just installed this on my new VPS, did I fuck up?

>always last in phoronix Linux benchmarks
Because they have all CPU mitigations enabled.
I guess security is now bad.
>versioning chaos
True, but you should use Tumbleweed anyway.
>heavy Qt5 dependencies
No. It really depends on what you install and that can be configured down to the last package right in the installer.
>slowest boot
True. On the other hand, this is Linux. How often do you expect to boot it?
I reboot once a week due to updates.
>git master is not the trunk, it's only for releases
I'm not familiar with the development side of things.
>SUSE Enterprise only used by tiny SAP shops
Tiny SAP shop is an oxymoron, you moron.
Beside being the OS of choice for all SAP deployments, they also have partnerships with other companies, like the largest server vendor HPE.
True, it's not RedHat size, but they still have decent number of deployments. And nobody knows what future RedHat has after the acquisition.

No man! its a great, stable, secure, featful and well maintained sever distro. Its just not the lightest.

>Because they have all CPU mitigations enabled.
also uses btrfs while others use ext4 most likely

Yes, but you'd have to be a complete moron to use BTRFS.
I have my Tumbleweed on ext4 and everything's running fine.
Even at the company I work for we all agreed the thousand annoyances BTRFS brings are not worth the few interesting features it has and use ext4 and XFS for everything.

> after all if Jow Forums hates something it's probably pretty good

true

don't forget trannies

2615 ! Bloat install !

>>slowest boot
>True.
Is it?
It's about the same as any other distro I have tried.
If my motherboard wasn't so slow this would be very slick

Attached: 1562319056681.png (972x568, 91K)

are you using wicked?
wicked can slow down your booting

Any recommended libfreetype6/freetype2 package in the OBS? I want that thicc bold os x font rendering

if you want fat font check out "inter"
rsms.me/inter/

Yes, it's mainly due to wicked.
But I don't like NetworkManager and don't care too much about boot times.

This is sex
Thanks

you get faster boot if you go /etc/sysconfig/network/config
find wait_for_interfaces=30
change 30 to 5 or so

I tried it and liked it better than ubuntu in 2006. now I just use kubuntu and despite the nigger name I never distro hopped except for neon, more like meme-on everything useful required a QT version like telegram so I removed it, kubuntu is nice and stable. More choices is better for everyone.

>SAP leader
yikes!

My company is a fortune 250 company and we use SLES for every linux server. We have thousands and thousands of them (well they are VMs but what company runs a server on bare metal once they get big)

zypper is good and much faster than dnf.

Any distro-specific recommended battery saving tweaks other than installing tlp/powertop and turning off/disabling unnecessary shit?

buy a desktop

I just installed the KDE pattern, and I have been installing some devel packages in order to compile stuff. I'm not too worried about the number of packages, since I have the space and don't care about my e-peen size.

Attached: Screenshot_20190726_094839.png (808x467, 106K)

only retards care about number of packages, it's the same with marketing you start using metrics that don't matter because grug brain recognizes easy thing and feels like an expert

cries in userspace

Attached: startup.png (1366x768, 309K)

theres also systemd-analyze blame and systemd-analyze critical-chain
have you tried removing plymouth to see if theres any difference? I don't care about boot times desu but I heard it can shave several seconds off

> openSuse
>

Attached: 1540728492933.png (316x345, 105K)

> stable
> nice package manager
> nice installer
> nice config utlities
> great filesystem support

it's a great choice for people who want to get real work done. I suppose you don't know anything about that, OP?

Nice

this

why would open/suse care about desktop marketshare when they have a quality distro and community that fill all their needs? being backed by a $3B company helps you know
you'd have to be a ms shill or a complete retard to root against opensuse, linux and free software
arch fedora etc use a lot of suse projects and infrastructure if you weren't aware
their developers are present all across the stack, kernel, btrfs, kde, docker/runc, openqa, [...]

I like OpenSUSE a lot. Besides Debian, Ubuntu, Devuan, Void Linux, Gentoo, Alpine Linux, Linux from Scratch, OpenBSD.

I hate fedora, Red Hat, CentOS, (((Clear Linux))).

> openSuse
> $3B company
nice meme

Attached: thisisbait.png (625x626, 66K)

99% of the openSuse user-base sits in Germany and thus the most used distro in Germany is Ubuntu and Debian

Attached: 1470048358609.png (392x714, 294K)

what species is that?

Friends don't let friends suck systemdicks.

Attached: 1563820911049.jpg (590x332, 63K)

SUSE is fine as is, definitely not something I'd use daily but at least it's not spyware, unlike (((Deepin)))

I thought Morticia Adams had black hair.

From 2016, tumbleweed alone. Even their shitty forums have like 40k users.
>rootco.de/2016-03-28-why-use-tumbleweed/

Attached: Tumbleweedstats.png (1063x815, 33K)

to integrate with microsoft windows
In fact Microsoft invests heavily in SUSE
They are partners. I do consultation work with a few companies that swear by it as their linux servers of choice. Me, I fucking hate the bloated blob of shit
yet I have to consult with and then send in teams of p[eople to sort out problems with it. The major problem with SUSE is that presents a whacking great big GUI and then people rely on that
Oh it's fantastic except that it isnt. These companies, even though they have linux experts, over time these experts kinda lose their knowledge as they rely on the GUI, not the terminal command line.
The desktop version is totally bloated crap. I prefer either manjaro or mint desktops and a suse server, or a windows desktop and a suse server. I keep telling these companies use Decian as your server and manjaro as your desktop but they wont fucking listen

>Susan, send me the reports asap
>O-one sec I have to fix grub and a few packages. And update because if you miss one your entire machine is forever fucked
>No problem Susan, we Manjaro Gamers have to stick together

>manjaro as your desktop
this is being said unironically

if your ANUS is BIG you gonna like openSUSE

>to integrate with microsoft windows
Underage detected. If Linux could actually integrate with Windows like covering ALL the enterprise needs like AD/SharePoint/etc it would dominate the market. It would out-EEE Microsoft.
Sure there are companies that would still go with MS because of their heavy lobbying and bribes. In the long term though it would be just like in the servers: everybody wants Linux, not even MS wants Windows anymore

beccause I am german