What laptop is good to buy...

What laptop is good to buy? I don't play videogames or do particularly intensive work but I have a thinkpad t420 i bought a couple years ago and it's starting to show its age I wanted to get a more modern laptop that will work well with an actual functioning battery, enough ram, a better screen, not heavy

I'm getting confused there's so many choices like macbook, zenbook, new thinkpads like t480 and other ones. I'm not sure which to choose some seem like they're for programmers or graphic designers and that's not me so I don't want to spend a lot of money for hardware i wont ever make use of. Please help

Attached: cc1.jpg (619x453, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CIW-WSFdwpE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends how much you're willing to spend.

I'd like to spend just enough to get good value and for it to last me as long as possible. I don't want to overpay for something I won't fully utilize though

Attached: a9696ab4dfa5a1f0272e6b897b4b641b.jpg (658x901, 47K)

hi people, just passing by!!! >.<
im dead inside
bye!! :))

based

Just get some Lenovo IdeaPad

Dell G3 with 1060

I'm not a gamer though this says it's for gamers

Thinkpad T480 is a pretty versatile laptop, but honestly depends on what you are going to be using it for. If you just want to browse the web and watch videos and animu and shit even like a T440s would be a good option, has the ability to hotswap battery if you want that.

Get one of the new Thinkpads with quad-core i5 and actually good screens, if you get the basic model IPS FHD you might be able to swap a qHD panel or a low-power FHD later on. T480 is really good, it still has the bridge battery if you care about that, but the T480s is lighter and thinner. *70 series are an option too but they're mostly dual-cores as fast as your T420, and the *60 series doesn't have Thunderbolt ports, which is the biggest future-proofing feature right now. The X1 Carbon and X1 Extreme are in sale all the fucking time and you could snatch one of those too, which are unironically better than Macbooks in every single aspect. You could also get a new E-or L Series, they're OK now (they used to be absolute trash), they have AMD versions even but I'd avoid those before USB4.0 comes around.

Dell Latitudes are good too but I'm not sure which model/years are good specifically. I

x1 carbon seems good but why are they so expensive

applel showed that people are willing to spend that amount of money on a T H I N A N D L I G H T laptop

I don't know anything about laptops help me decide what to buy please i will literally buy whatever Jow Forums recommends me right now if the arguments are sound and it's not overly expensive

The x60 is lighter if you still want a thinkpad

>new
>budget model
Complete shit.

>used
>premium model
Good buy.

Get a used Dell G3/G5/G7 if you want a decent GPU. Otherwise a used Precision/Latitude/Thinkpad as they're easily serviceable business laptops with standardized parts. If anything goes wrong, you can replace a part yourself with a screw driver and $20 part.

Attached: 1545391495573.gif (512x288, 2.27M)

It's the flagship ~~~consumer~~~ modern Thinkpad. Before the X1c Thinkpads were bricks everyone but hardcore wageslaves and IT guys hated. The X1C is a Thinkpad you can give to Stacy the HR middle manager and Steve the Sysadmin and both will be happy, and they might even buy them with their own money because they read in a blog they are the best laptop for working since Macbooks are garbage now

>now

>Otherwise a used Precision/Latitude/Thinkpad as they're easily serviceable business laptops with standardized parts
I can't decide what model specifically because i dont know anything about how laptops work

Honestly there's not much difference between them. Just pick based on which one looks better, they're essentially the same inside and all use the same parts. Also, get a model with a 1080p screen minimum.

I mean, now more than ever. In the past they were overpriced but at least they didn't die as much as a $300 Walmart-special Acer and they had a usable keyboards.

I'm sketched out buying refurbished that's why i was thinking new because who knows what happened to it while it was on business lease but obviously that's a lot more expensive and probably not worth it in my case

>who knows what happened to it while it was on business lease
It sat on an engineer's desk connected to a docking station while they drew doodles for 2 years before getting replaced because IT needs to spend its budget.

If you're buying new and don't buy a premium line model, be aware budget models use the absolute lowest quality materials to build the cases and internal components that barely passed QC, and the whole thing with fall apart after a year or two unless you absolutely baby it.

can't tell you which one to buy cause ive not tesetd loads of laptops. But I got an HP Pavillion with an i7-8550u, 8gb ram, ssd and mx130 and im really impressed with it. The CPU is lightning quick for me (until this point i had been using a PC with an intel g2030 dual core so its a massive improvement). Overall the HP Pavillion series has really nice build quality (brushed aluminium finish), is very quick, has a nice backlit keyboard and is fairly light. I dont look like a freak when i bring it out at uni cause its nice and stylish as well.

The graphics card is pretty shit realistically, but it IS a dedicated GPU. Its 2gb vram and if u ever wanted to can run some games. I dont really game either but I play football manager sometimes and maybe occassionally with play a random game with some friends like I did back in the day (eg a little bit of dota, csgo, civ 5/6, worms, hearts of iron, eu4 etc). Nice to have and doesnt boost the price up cause its nothing fancy.

Main draw for me is the CPU. Honestly, even though its a laptop chip it is very rapid. Plus the SSD makes boot times

Just buy an SSD and replace the HDD.
/thread

Attached: 1540028695809.jpg (976x1079, 150K)

There is a website selling a carbon x1 with i5 4300m processor for $400 is this a good deal, the other issue is buying from a trusted refurbisher so they dont sell me some garbage like the t420 i have was very dirty inside and battery that can't hold a charge at all

Did you buy this new? looks pretty good as well there seems like a lot of options and they're all so similar

Get a MacBook air

>pajeetbook

Attached: 1556667914532.jpg (768x893, 184K)

is the muh "thin and light" hate a meme or is there a legitimate drop in quality as a result?

I've been refusing to buy a new laptop because I just associate thin and lightweight with terrible build quality

Thin and light seems it's less likely to be serviceable

Look for laptops with mobile ryzen CPUs, maybe?
Check specification and see if it fits your needs.

Ofc there are drops. But most people won't experience them since they don't use the device to its fullest. Only people who bought something that doesn't meet their requirements will feel the pain.

buy a new extended battery and upgrade the ram
silly boy

>just sink more money into an elderly device
Or i could buy something modern

it's just marketing. "gaming" doesn't mean anything, there's nothing that makes it specifically for gaming
youtube.com/watch?v=CIW-WSFdwpE

anyways, what is your hard budget?

I don't want to spend more than $1000. I'm in Canada and i saw a carbon x1 w/ i5 4300m processor selling for $400 that seems good