How is Fedora 30 these days?

Heard about the new release, how is it? Is it stable? Is it botnet?

Attached: fedora-logo.jpg (600x600, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/redhat/comments/cgtvt6/hi_im_chris_wright_cto_at_red_hat_i_am/
wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8
copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/pp3345/gnome-with-patches/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Fedora, is in fact, IBM/Fedora, or as I've recently taken to calling it, IBM plus Fedora. Fedora is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning IBM system made useful by the IBM branding, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Did the Fedora project changed after IBM happend? I have no problem with "Big Linux"

No. IBM also said that they would not change redHat.
> stable
Pretty much yes, even though it is kinda rolling release
> botnet
No. It's fully free software (except some drivers)

It's not rolling. It's just following upstream faster than most other non-rolling distros. Rawhide is the rolling release variation, but it's very unstable, as it's only intended as a testing platform.

Wait about half year it will stable as like redhat

>Did the Fedora project changed after IBM happend? I have no problem with "Big Linux"

reddit.com/r/redhat/comments/cgtvt6/hi_im_chris_wright_cto_at_red_hat_i_am/

He answers such questions in that IAMA thread.

It's been my daily driver for several years and was the distro that made me stop distro hopping. If something drastically changes due to the IBM aquisition, I'll go back to Gentoo.

That's why I wrote 'kinda rolling release'.

Being up-to-date does not make it "kinda rolling release".

where is CentOS 8? i might go with that instead of upgrading to 30

It usually comes out a couple months after the Redhat release. You can see their progress here.

wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8

it just works unlike piece of shit solus(screen tears, japanese input doesn't work)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-25 02-58-08.png (1366x768, 714K)

How is the software variety? I know about RPM Fusion but is it even comparable to something like the AUR?

Not that good, even with RPM Fusion. I wouldn't call the ability to compile from source essential for using Fedora, but it definitely helps.

>MUH AUR
ITS JUST A FUCKING GITHUB SCRIPT MOST OF THE TIME

Right?

Just wanted to compare.

I know about the meme that fedora users are beta testers for RHEL, is it just a meme?

In the same way OpenSUSE users are the beta testers for SLES

Could you explain that a little? I never really got the meme. Like SuSE wants to test new technology, lets throw it into OpenSUSE and lets so how it is and then implement it into SLES?

Exactly.

one of the better ones out there, probably because its a corporate backed distro with paid devs

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-26 07-35-21.png (1600x900, 394K)

I dont see it as a totally bad thing. If what they try to implement is good shit you can use this shit earlier and when it gets removed again. Àre there any examples of bad "beta tests" done by Red Hat?

The beta tester thing is a meme. It's like saying Debian is beta testing for Ubuntu. It's not, it's just upstream.

How is Gnome? Heard its pretty nice on Fedora. Never tried it.

Gnome on Fedora is good, bit it's very vanilla. So, just be ready for that.

Fedora is a bleeding edge distro. It's the stomping ground for new open source shit. Think PulseAudio, systemd, new DEs and etc.

The difference being there are testing repos, so you have a pretty decent stable Fedora install for those who need to get shit done and a borderline usable version for those who like to do dev testing in the spare time for free.

Personally, I've been using Fedora for years. My current destop install has been sysupgraded from F26 to F30 with minimal tinkering or issues over the years. I've hard more troubles with Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

If IBM decided one day to fuck Fedora up, I wouldn't know what to use anymore.

its great, i use it without extensions because its enough but you can always mod the hell out of it for this reason: try this too, it may help: copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/pp3345/gnome-with-patches/
if you really want it to be fast you can disable animations and then it feels like a fresh i3 arch install

kek

Attached: serveimage[1].jpg (130x130, 4K)

Fedora tries to keep things close to upstream. GNOME included. That's why it works damn well compared to other distros, which try to "fix" it with custom patches and preinstalled extensions.
However, GNOME is different from your standard DE and not necessarily for everyone. If you don't like GNOME in general you can try one of the spins. Fedora Xfce is probably the best one of the bunch. Cinnamon, LXDE and LXQt also have quite good spins. The KDE spin is unfortunately not good.

If you're going to use Fedora, choose Deepin when you install it.

I can never understand why people blur out their usernames/hostnames

getting doxxed sucks. the less the public internet knows about you, the better off you are.

Don't you put your address as your hostname and your penis size aa your username?