How do I escape web development?

I fucking hate modern web development.
There's a new library, framework, toolchain, JavaScript "compiler" every fucking week.
Everything is bloated, websites have 100MB of JS dependencies for a plain-text website.
Nobody gives a shit about efficiency or complexity or resource management.
Unfortunately my whole resume is full-stack web development.
I'm willing to take a significant pay cut for an "entry-level" position if it means I escape this bullshit.

My game plan right now is to rewrite all my projects from college in C++ and revisit my Operating Systems and Architecture textbooks.
What else do I need?

Attached: 1512857684107.jpg (2448x3264, 2.02M)

>There's a new library, framework, toolchain, JavaScript "compiler" every fucking week.
Don't buy into this bullshit. I'm still developing with RoR, Bootstrap and Jquery and I'm doing fine.

>There's a new library, framework, toolchain, JavaScript "compiler" every fucking week.
So? There's a new Linux distro every week too, but I don't see people complaining about it.
If you were actually into web dev as you're pretending to be, you'd know better to just stick with some standard and ignore this buzz.

same boat as you user, i would try data science, learn pandas numpy and python and just take it from there.

Is that server rack filled with Macs? Why?

Centralized heating unit for the building.

iOS builds for apps. We have something like this hooked up as a jenkins slave to handle building one of our apps. Unsurprisingly, it is the most fragile part of our infrastructure.

it's not just about the JS frameworks - it's the obsession with them.
For whatever reason, it's become accepted in modern web development to say "just add this library."
This gets repeated over and over again. Our project template has over 1000 JS libraries because each dependency has their own dependencies.
Our applications aren't even that complicated. 90% of them are just fetch data, show data to user, user modifies data, user saves data.

All I want is to work in a field where people think about things like complexity and efficiency, and clearly web dev is not that.

Vanilla JS is fucking amazing, but zoomers just cant handle the idea of writing anything 'native' so we are stuck with their continual bikeshedding nonsense. I think the unproductive reality of all this is finally starting to set in for even the densest of motherfuckers though.

>For whatever reason
All web developers are mentally weak.

most web devs are incapable to write VanillaJS

> 1999
> Pentium II 400 MHz 8mb ram 28k modem

> 2019
> i5 3.2 ghz 8gb ram 60mbit Ethernet

Comparing the two, Websurfing experience is the same if not worse. With the exception of downloading media.

One thing to consider is that if you **do** master web dev using the most direct tools available (vanilla JS/CSS/HTML), you basically become a god relative to little zoom sitting next to you, who is incapable of adding an onClick handler to a button without running an npm command first which then devolves into 10 hours of fucking around with irrelevant concerns.
On several occasions, I have cranked out a web app in under a day that made other developers question their life choices.
>user how the fuck did you write that so fast
>etc

>inb4 OP pigeonholes himself into a career he realizes he hates and has to work twice as hard to climb out of it
Just get some cloud certs and become an architect. Jumping from full stack to systems engineering is like a carpenter deciding he wants to be scuba welder.

i really would like internet to go back in pre-2000 era , it was beautiful , it was just text and images , and maybe audio
the addition would be only video player , that would be really perfect
now , the devs only interest is to attract normies for their site , so they have to make it "look" fancy

OP here.
I was never enthusiastic about web dev. I got an internship doing it in college and I got a gig doing it out of college since that's what my resume was.
It pays really well and I can find a job doing it just about anywhere but it's rapidly degrading field as the number of "bootcamp" graduates increases.

Apple is in the fashion industry if they don’t understand how to make and sell products for businesses.

I don't mean to be a dick, but if you're after several years still in the newcomers' team, you're not very good at what you do.

After year three at the latest you should be doing stuff no boot camp will prepare you for.

they've given zero fucks about any part of the pro sector for over a decade now

nice larp

Yeah you know its fucking bad when apple decides it's not a big deal to take down their entire developer portal every year for WWDC. One time we were just fucked for 24 hours on provisioning certs because of this. Apple is still the polar opposite of Microsoft when it comes to business concerns.

>tfw in graduate school for compilers research
feels good man

That's the reason why from start I refused any job/intership related to webdev. Now i'm doing network programming in C. I'm having a blast

Dev deps don't matter.
Many desktop apps have gigs of code and take hours to compile, JS takes 0.5 seconds.

Have fun champ

Not sure if bait.
The reason most desktop apps today have gigs of code and rape your memory footprint is because they're written in javascript and are being interpreted by some massive horrific contraption like electron.js. This is why you cant even use a basic chat application like Teams without losing a gigabyte of ram and experiencing incredibly annoying inconsistencies and performance issues.
Javascript belongs exclusively in the browser. Right tool for the right job. Even if someone rewrote teams in something managed like C#/WPF it would still be 10x better than the dumpster fire it is today.

>Pentium II in 99

poorfag

>wtfnoob.jpeg

this

It's really sad that you think it's a larp.

"compile"

>hours to compile
Unless we are talking about a fucking AAA game, nothing takes this long on to build a single machine.

just burn it all fuck those guys

Yeah, Mac's are definitely unreliable pieces of shit. I always get mad when I have to put out an update for my iOS apps. The moment something more demanding than a web browser gets executed on these shit boxes, they just implode and get unstable. The shitty thermal performance also kills performance after 3 minutes of compiling stuff.

>desktop software takes hours to compile
>tfw you get your facts from xkcd comics

Go to a big company. They're only just now switching to Angular. I know for a fact two big B2B vendors who support banks and telecomms and shiet only started moving to Angular like a year ago, and their previous product stacks were maintained for like 5-8 years, they move at glacial paces.

formulate an artistic philosophy that isn't material design or pajeethetics

C++ code can take a while. Shadow baking and texture compression takes ages too. Back when I made shitty Source engine maps, the baking process took so long on my Q6600, that I often just went for a jog or watched some series I pirated.

>Vanilla JS is fucking amazing
Compared to what? Visual Basic? It's a terrible language from top to bottom

Try compiling Firefox or Chromium on a laptop.It takes all day.

Refuse to do anything but make web 1.0 style sites. Tell your boss this is objectively superior.

all day? more like 45 minutes? Are you running on a 486DX user?

most angular jobs I see pay like shit; react jobs seem to pay higher for some reason?

Lol I am in the opposite side. 8 years of experience as DBA, I couldn’t be less interested in cloud architecture and of course not at all in database administration and I am transitioning into web dev

I was exaggerating. Was like 4-6 hours on a Core 2 Duo, because I was running Arch on a ThinkPad X61s, because this is Jow Forums.

lol no you fucking aren't "fine". RoR was the beginning of the downfall of the industry, and it's still a worthless pile of shit. worst of all it created a generation of "developers" who spread their ridiculous garbage ideas throughout the industry. it's literally the worst. "use the best tool for the job".... there are exactly ZERO situations where RoR satisfies this. fuck you. look at your job prospects and watch them dwindle every passing year. you deserve to be a waiter.

every job you have the possibility of getting with that stack is a job nobody sane would want for some idiotic company who makes horrible decisions and is surely dying.

fuck you, rubyfag. die.

I do a bit of web development for a hobby and yeah, it's a fucking sad state. The over-reliance on JS and external libraries is crazy, never mind annoying as shit if you use anything like uMatrix to browse the web.

It's too bad sites these days all use the same generic bootstrap themes and can't do anything without JS enabled, never mind cloudflare/jquery/etc loading as well.

>t. neets who've never worked a real job

DLP slows down PCs to a fucking crawl. I've had mobile apps that take upward of 40 minutes to do a clean build

i love this reply so much, He is so mad.
this is the exaclt thing im searching for when i visit Jow Forums

>The over-reliance on JS and external libraries is crazy, never mind annoying as shit if you use anything like uMatrix to browse the web.
a lot of things on the web look ugly but still let you read the content with JS disabled. Firefox's "reader mode" thing has proven surprisingly helpful with this.

Most of the shit that's implemented with JS on the web these days is shit that not only shouldn't have been done with JS, it's shit that shouldn't have been implemented at all, period.

chill bro it's just javascript

I've just accepted an offer for a 3 year web development apprenticeship.
I figure I would be stupid to pass up on a free degree and 3 years or experiance in software development but part of me is worried im going to build skills in an area that I have little to no interest in.

Im only 19 and want to push myself to do something "cooler" than web development and I know I have the drive to do it but I doubt I will be able to maintain my interest outside of work to develop skills in other areas while working there. I really think im going to fizzle out.

hope I dont end up like OP

Attached: balls.png (387x321, 4K)

Lean C.

What do you think I do?
But I worry that my interest to do stuff like this will be gone once I start working web dev

Try and stay away from frontend or full stack web development as much as you can, you won't turn homosexual if you do that.
Also learn C and get a better job writing embedded firmware.

What kind of web app are we talking about here?

I've found there's a lot of sites that only display blank pages without JS enabled, and any sites using Cloudflare (lol) DDoS protection are super annoying as they require cookies + scripts.

I wish JS would die, if only we could time travel and prevent this epidemic.

software engineering and webdev have at least one thing in common: by the time you are experienced enough with something to land a job, it's already too late and they're moving onto the next meme

You've clearly never compiled a large C++ codebase in your life.

>Source engine
Well there's your problem. You're talking about late 90's grade compilers. Modern C++ compilers have come a long way. If modules ever gets ratified, even faster.

Why not Mac minis? Sure far more easy to manage

I would be that salty if I was a webdev too

I don't care, I'm gonna continue using RoR.

The people i see complaining about webdev are JS people, why i don't ser Java/Spring Dev or C#/.Net complaining too?

learn fucking golang

we have a frontend and backend team, the backend uses php and frontend javascript/react

started learning go in my spare time at work and got moved to the backend and building a faster api, it's a start without having to quit completely

the picture is probably from in between 2014 and 2018 before the current gen of minis

Learn Rust and C, that's it you're covered and you'll never have to touch anything JS, at worst maybe NodeJS but that's it.

Shame that you still have to learn JS to work on frontend/fullstack or to be an independent developer.

This is why cloud build systems are better, you spend less time and money on them

Same boat. The market made it really hard to stay away from webdev. It pays really well. So well that it’s common to find great EEs doing webdev. Personally, I just want to do something more meaningful/scientific webdev or not. Issue with a lot of the C autists here is that they think webdev is just index.html. But, the sophisticated webdevs work more on server development which includes optimization, business logic, all things data, etc. and this stuff uses literally any language. Even C, if you care more about portraying autism than pragmatism.

Protoype = visual basic script

Thanks for the heads-up bro

Jquery is very much part of the issue. Its slow as fuck arguably worse than js frameworks and es6 because of event loop makes it useless

>JavaScript "compiler"
what the fuck is this? something that compiles some code to javascript?

Learn a lower level language like Rust or C++

Tools that tree shake and remove unused code, transpile to earlier versions of JS for compatibility, minify, etc

well, i truly hope you havent saved more than 6mos of cash from that bullshit job you obviously never deserved in the first place. your "skills" do not translate like they do with every other language. you've learned nothing. when it finally dies, hopefully, so will you.

You’re ignorant. There are many RoR jobs at profitable companies. It’s going to be around for a long time.

>when it finally dies
When? Even Perl is till around. Stop chasing every new shiny thing.