/pmp/ - Portable Media Players General

Red Backlight Edition
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: virtual boy.jpg (1024x768, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/diagnosticmode/index.shtml
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/
web.archive.org/web/20120606204714/http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iphone-and-ipad/351485/no-sound-ipod/
ifixit.com/Answers/View/304635/iPod Video No Sound at All
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just got an 2nd gen iPod nano (the 2GB version sadly) for 8$, was it a good deal?

Yes
I copped this pretty new, pretty clean 2g Nano 4GB for like, 25 bucks.
>tfw all my music is in flac so i can only fit like 14 records in it
>tfw i'm fine with it cause i have to make playlists to listen with all the new shit i download
wicked
I also own a 5g 30 gb and a 6g 120 gb which I'm thinking of selling cause I don't like it too much.

Attached: EAazCDGVUAUJz0l.jpg (675x1200, 106K)

Is it really that hard to open an ipod classic 6g? I've got one with a dead hdd and really want to set up an iflash but I'm afraid to mess things up

It's not that hard if you have a sharp knife

can I change my ruizu x02's firmware to something that at least shows titles properly?

Is there any way to prevent the nw-a45 from rescanning the library at startup? I have a lot of files and it adds a solid 10 seconds to the boot.

Please help

Buy an iFlash and a battery and install them yourself. It really isn't that hard to do.

My Zune HD 32gb is dying. It's getting harder and harder to establish a proper connection to my PC to sync it.

What should I replace it with? I want a Walkman but I can't justify that price. Is there anything that has a decent AMOLED touch screen that can play videos? I have an entire season of Iron Chef on this, among other things.

Try spraying the connector and the cable with some contact cleaner.

Can someone please help me? I've posted this in previous threads but no one has helped me.

That might work. I tried blowing on it but I just assumed it was a loose connector because it wobbles now and I didn't feel like opening it up and soldering in a replacement.

>Logic board
Just buy it.

Try putting it in diagnostics mode and doing the hard drive tests. Then post results.
methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/diagnosticmode/index.shtml

Bought a Ruizu X02 as a first pmp, how'd I do?

I predict that in this thread there will be a faggot coming in and asking to be spoonfed on what the point of using DAPs is when smartphones exist.

Attached: image.jpg (755x708, 605K)

So my Ipod Nanon 3g broke recently (I'm too lazy to replace the screen), so I'm in market for another Ipod. What's the best non-Classic? I've had my eye on the Nano 5g for a while.

If you're not gonna Rockbox I recommend 4g or 5gs those are cool as shit.

R8 my iPod collection. I only really use the Nano 7th gen these days since I can listen to the radio with it.

Attached: 20190726_164021.jpg (3578x2259, 3.72M)

I always wanted one of those Nano 7gs but I loathe iTunes and all my music is in flac. How do you like it?
>white 5g
Fucking based 11/10, rockbox that shit and use it mang, it's the best iPod ever.
>iPod Touch
it's poopoo

Attached: 1555236239523.png (400x1650, 367K)

>I always wanted one of those Nano 7gs but I loathe iTunes and all my music is in flac. How do you like it?
It's pretty nice. I use a hackintosh so I don't mind using iTunes to transfer music. The Mac version actually works and isn't an insufferable error filled POS like the Windows version.
>>white 5g
>Fucking based 11/10, rockbox that shit and use it mang, it's the best iPod ever.
I have RockBox on it. But other than themes I don't really have a use for it. All my music is in MP3, so it's not like I need FLAC support or anything. The hard drive is the original and needs to be replaced.
>>iPod Touch
>it's poopoo
It's not bad as an iPod. Just don't expect anything more. Mine is a first gen so the DAC is pretty decent.

Fairly certain we covered this in the last thread, in fact I personally posted several of the replies to your question. Is there anything specific you wanted clarification on? We're happy to help.

Odd, you don't appear to be the OP, but you are most certainly a colossal flaming faggot.

Attached: 1532838650247.jpg (1043x1345, 201K)

any way to buy the iflash adapter for cheaper?

No, not really unless you find one used. It's a niche product so just realize that and pay whatever for it.

I have a 5g iPod and it takes like, years to transfer files, even after Rockboxing it, it transfers at like 3 MB/s. No issue other than this though. Is this normal?

Fairly normal. Maybe try replacing the hard drive.

I don't even feel like shilling PMPs anymore at this point. Just use your phone.

Attached: headphone_bread2.jpg (1920x864, 735K)

that's a shame. anyway, I have a 30gb ipod 5th gen, to upgrade it do I need a thick back?

Try transferring the files using disk mode

You don't need a thick back unless you're doing an mSATA upgrade (pointless these days as SD cards are cheaper) or you're installing an extended battery.

No, you can use the normal backing I'm pretty sure. The SD card adapter won't be any thicker than the hard drive that's already in there

this. The guide in the OP is a bit out of date, no reason whatsoever to use mSATA these days. iFlash boards are better in every way.

Also this. You can actually fit an iFlash Quad and an extended aftermarket battery in the thin (30GB) back if you want to. Same thickness together as the original HDD give or take.

it's not fair the zune was so good why did no one buy it

are zunes still usable?
a guy was selling me one for less than 40 usd, and it looked in real good shape but i never had one back in the day, don't wanna find out you need windows media player to transfer files or something

video girl ai is top tier, very nice

This is fucking weird. I just bought a 30gb Ipod video and now theres a sticky on how to mod it. Based.

Zune had it's own software, the software was really fucking good though, if you had windows
I've not had much luck finding any media software that handled podcasts as well as it did
It used a special zMtp instead of the normal Mtp transfer protocol, that was cracked a while ago but no one really cared at that point.

It does this with every hard drive, even with my ZIF to CF adapter

Attached: 20190726_165310.jpg (2080x1168, 1.32M)

Have you tried a different ribbon cable?

Really might be worth getting a new logic board. They're not hugely expensive, particularly if you're not in a rush and don't mind ordering from China. While you're at it you might as well get one from a 5.5G 80GB model (best DAC, most RAM) and see if it goes into the 6G shell (I've seen it done, but no idea if any mods to the case are required or not).

Yeah, it does the same thing

Definitely looks like your board is borked.
Listen to this user

Don't listen to these guys , Your audio ic will desolder itself

>ishit falls apart
shocking

thank you, so pic related + iflash solo will work with my thin back. Hopefully my stupid battery drain will stop.

Attached: Cattura.png (817x513, 91K)

oh shit I can't read, I need the thick back after all.

Out of all the people with a 5g or a 5.5g that post in these threads (about 12-15 or so), you're the only one who's had issues with the audio IC. And you haven't even told us how you came to that conclusion.
Again, there are no reports of this being a widespread issue.
I'm not sure that battery will fit with a thin back, even when using an iFlash. If it does fit, please do report back. I'm using a thick back with an iFlash Quad and a stock battery and I'd really like to change it out for a thin back.

according to iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/ it's possible to use the thin back with the iflash quad, is it worth over the solo?

Welp, looks like I'm getting an extended battery and a new casing with a thin back. Thanks for the info.
>is it worth over the solo?
I bought a quad because I honestly think the small price difference was worth it for being able to upgrade the storage in the future, as my library grows (I'm using a single 200GB card right now).
However, there's a 2TB limit dictated by the MBR partition table used by the iPod, so with 1TB cards in the horizon, I'm not sure the Quad will make sense for much longer.

This any good? Anyone know anything better for the same price range?

Attached: NW-A45.jpg (604x1050, 73K)

Here's your fucking evidence.
web.archive.org/web/20120606204714/http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iphone-and-ipad/351485/no-sound-ipod/
ifixit.com/Answers/View/304635/iPod Video No Sound at All
The fact that it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean that it won't happen to that user, or anyone else for that matter.

Alright what the fuck did i do wrong. I'm trying to convert boxamp to work on 5th gen and i swear i got the dimensions right on the theme and its bmps but i somehow fucked it

Attached: KIMG0027.jpg (1920x2560, 392K)

Am I the only one there who enjoys having an actual HDD in their iPod? Who likes the slight vibration of the running drive and that little pause after selecting a track, when the head goes searching for the file? Am I the only one who pretends that their machine still has a warm, moving heart inside, which modern devices with their cold, soulless solid state memory don't have any more?

>web.archive.org/web/20120606204714/http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iphone-and-ipad/351485/no-sound-ipod/
Okay, let's take a look at the evidence:
>ipod trip auto or from the ipod speaker system I have
>I plugged it into my DLO FM transmitter, nothing
>I put the Ipod in front of my cars A/C vent and when it got cold it started playing like nothing was wrong, but when it warmed back up the music stopped
>It was in my bag while I was having lunch out in the sun. My iPod got really hot and when I tried to listen to music afterwards the earphones gave a steady clicking noise.
>no sound, but i had just dropped my ipod flat on the floor from waist height before ...
>After a long itunes session (USB 1.0 on my PowerBook) I plugged into my BMW iPod cable, scratchy noise, then no audio.
>Last week, I fell asleep on the couch with my 30 gig iPod video playing. When I awoke, I found that the exterior protective case was steamed up and the sound from the iPod was scratchy.
>Day 6 and my iPod finally stopped working again. It was working this morning. It was in my car and in the heat. I went out this afternoon and no sound again. If I squeezed the case, I could get the sound to return momentarily.
>Mine started doing this yesterday; it looks like the summer heat got to it.
These are all cases from the first page. Notice anything suspicious?
ALL of these people exposed their devices to extremely hot environments like cars or sealed bags, some dropped them, some abused them in other ways.
Now I'm definitely convinced this is just user error.
Unless you point to a proper study where variables like exposition to these extreme environments are taken account of, you've proven yourself wrong with your own evidence.
>The fact that it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean that it won't happen to that user, or anyone else for that matter.
It hasn't happened to us because we haven't left our devices into hot environments for prolonged amounts of time.

Sorry for the horrendous picture quality. Got 5g guts with 128gbs of storage using tarkans adapter and a huge battery then threw a 7g face on it. A tip if you want to do the same is to get the same generation inner frame as the front of you want it to fit. It's still a pain in the ass to do with all the small parts and prying open you have to do, but it looks great imo

Attached: IMG_20190726_174030.jpg (3120x4160, 2.62M)

i'd still use an hdd but i need 128+ at least in storage space since i dont often have access easily to my home pc, and fuck spotify.

It definitely had its charm. But I'm just too paranoid about having spinning rust in devices that get moved about. Knowing that the smallest drop will cause a head crash just makes me feel uneasy.
Now, old computers are a different story. Thank fuck I scored a truckload of SCA drives not too long ago, or I'd have to resort to things like the SCSI2SD. Nothing beats the sound of good ol' clunkin' drives inside old boxen.

love how your dumb meme doesn't even have mp3 players on it. stupid.

Look further into the thread you fucking retard, it clearly says that it's a manufacturer issue

Latest meme from Zishan. Dual AK4493 and native Rockbox support. Waiting for reviews on this.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-27-10-24-33-483_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.png (1080x1920, 278K)

Well damn it, guess I'm off to buy a new logic board.
Thanks guys.

I like it for the most part but there are some really shitty design choices. It uses a proprietary charger port, no wifi, no bookmarking, no left/right balance settings, and no video. If none of that is important to you, then it's great. Battery lasts very long, interface is smooth. One of the few with a traditional built in radio.

>Anyone know anything better for the same price range?
I was deciding between this and the hiby. I would suggest considering the hiby or one of sony's newer, more expensive models that are more feature friendly.

its decent
my main gripe is sony's proprietary connecter

good but not ideal for running/gym

People who use DAC/AMPs and fancy cables along with their portable DAPs are full on autistic audiophools. Prove me wrong.

>Prove me wrong
no

Which old iPods have storage that you can change? I know as a fact that pretty much all of the iPod classics do, but from what I remember some of the other ones also have storage you can modify. I just want a music player that I can use that isn't my phone, a cheap ass MP3 player or an expensive or fat audiophile device.

Only the classics, the others use soldered-on flash storage

Attached: ipodnano200gb.jpg (247x319, 19K)

Thanks, I had a feeling this was the case, but I saw some conflicting information on which ones used soldered storage and which ones did not.

I got this out of nostalgia. Wish I could afford an ipod right now but I'm unemployed and can't waste money. Hoping to get one soon to be able to post it here

Attached: A41EFD4D-66BE-4296-B05E-DAEA77D60655.jpg (4032x3024, 2.28M)

so are the SanDisk Clip players still the best bang for the buck PMP?

I've read inconsistent reviews on the newest ones

>are zunes still usable?
>a guy was selling me one for less than 40 usd, and it looked in real good shape but i never had one back in the day, don't wanna find out you need windows media player to transfer files or something
They are. I have an original 30, 120gb and an HD 64gb. You can still run the zune service and I've yet to have battery issues.

What's the best Rockbox theme, Jow Forums?

Attached: IMG_20190727_134847.jpg (3120x4160, 984K)

you can mod the storage on the Ipod mini also.

iirc 1.8" ZIF PATA drives go up to 250GB, I dunno how available they are now though, if at all

iPod Video and Classic are the main ones. The Mini uses a Microdrive which is pin-compatible with CF, no adapter needed, so you could use an SD to CF card. Other older models like the fullsize gens before the Video such as the Photo and plain old iPods also used 1.8" drives so I'd imagine they're also upgradeable. Really just avoid the Nano, Shuffle, and Touch lines and you're good.

I like it. So in other words the guts of a 5G fit i a 6/7G shell, as long as you use the internal frame from the 5G? Always suspected that would be the case, but assumed that they'd changed the tooling where the tabs line up or something just to fuck with people.

Sadly probably not these days. The only thing the current ones have in common with the old ones is the name. Totally different SOC and firmware. Completely incompatible with Rockbox and always will be. If you can find an old one for reasonable money then go for it, if not then perhaps consider something like the Agptek Rocker/Benjie T6, which are Rockbox-compatible and starting to occupy the market space once held by the Clip+.

Classic. I had pic related circa 2005. I liked the fact that it worked like a flash drive so I only had to carry one device around, although iirc it would play the tracks in the order that they were copied to the device and completely ignore the ID3 tag. Good fun though. Might pick one up for nostalgia purposes.

Attached: 1549373344707.png (1016x373, 230K)

Glad I'm not the only one still using a Zune.
Friend came over and mocked me for using the media player and portable responding with "You got a phone man, why do you have a MP3?"

With mine you can play them on shuffle. I mainly use it for those songs spotify doesn't have to circumvent the 10$ a month jew tube charges to listen while your phone is on another app just connect it to speakers with an aux cord and badabing badaboom

It's probably nostalgia, but I dig the style of that old nano

>Glad I'm not the only one still using a Zune.
I use my 30gb zune for everything but podcasts, being able to use physical controls without having to look away from the road while driving is great.

Me too, best part about it is how it fits perfectly in a watch pocket

bump

Chink media players for under $60?

The iPod Minis also have replaceable hard drives.

nigga just run the FLACs through a converter to a special folder for the player.

Is there a good guide or some tips to getting a custom background image like this set up?

Whats the go to pmp with Bluetooth support ?

I just want something decent to listen to music while working out and you can't beat bt confieness

Attached: D_qNllJVAAAiSGU.jpg (800x766, 64K)

I love mine >u

Attached: photo_2019-07-27_11-53-52.jpg (1280x1280, 100K)

Just replaced my failing rockbox clip+ with a clip jam

Stop Sansa firmware is not too bad even though it's slower and poorly designed

Link

your phone you idiot

what was wrong with your Clip+? I've had a few that ended up with bad flash, but other than that most have been fixable. So far I've done headphone jacks, batteries and buttons, and one has even survived a full cycle in the washing machine. Tough little things.

It lasted quite a few years of rough exercise/weather usage but pretty much everything at this point. Broken upper button, audio failing on one channel, and likely failing flash since I've had rockbox get corrupted out of nowhere on it recently. Front paneling is cracked but that's just cosmetic.

DENPAAAAA

Did anyone ever figure out how to play FLAC on a zune?

>The Mac version actually works and isn't an insufferable error filled POS like the Windows version

I didn't come to realize this until I owned my first (OSX-based) Mac. I would say that it "works", but only to the level that makes it tolerable to live with, rather than pull-out-your-hair frustrating like the Windows version