Raspberry Pi

Bought a RPi 4 Model B with 4G of RAM, what now? Any fun programming projects you can use it for?

Attached: file.png (1024x732, 628K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stchaz.free.fr/mouse.zsh
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ok that is a big fuckup on the copypaste fuck you 4chanx

use it to play gayms

Install FreeBSD and enjoy your RISC workstation.

Basically the only advantage this thing has over a shitty old desktop running Debian is you can easily access the GPIO pins and code shit straight from the device itself.

I have a 16x2 LCD backlit displaying time. I think it would be cool to control some fans in a PC box with it. Need to work on that project.

Attached: rpilcd.jpg (2016x1512, 1.14M)

Wtf, a Raspie would be an overkill for that, just use an esp8266/nodemcu/Arduino

send it to me, I need it

Buy a 50$ cooler so that the garbage you just bought doesn't overheat. You're retarded for not buying a 3B+.

it's 33 degrees celsius here rn too
should i seriously be worried about this?

No one is buying pi4 anymore. No one is even developing for it anymore. Not even a meaningless spec bump will stop its current rapid decline in sales - ramlets will disagree, but I defy any ramlet, or otherwise, to name an application that requires that much ram.

We use them to replace the computer in our old CNC machine (before that we were using the old dell 4600,which in turn, replacing an even older IBM computer running MS DOS 6.1)

So we're running MS DOS in emulation using rpi3. We should've integrate the machine into the whole production process (instead of containerized, semi-independent shop) but the boss wanted the cheapest solution possible so what the hell. Sure we're using thumbdrive now instead of a floppy but the whole process doesn't exactly change compared 20++ years ago

Why even bother then?

Old parts getting scarcer and as much as people want to go to to thrift stores, Craigslist or simply dumpster dive, nobody is getting paid enough to do it.

Besides rpi is is surprisingly durable in industrial environment. You don't have to worry about dust, metal shavings et ceter getting into mobo and fuck it up

Buy more and make a cluster.

Attached: DSC_0497.jpg (1600x1200, 809K)

Tell me how to set up a comfy lightweight desktop on a raspberry pi

Attached: 1564099681322.jpg (785x603, 150K)

add the following settings to your config.txt file (assuming you're using a fan for cooling)

arm_freq=2000
over_voltage=4

reboot, and enjoy

Attached: rpi4b2.jpg (3024x3227, 2.46M)

Mozilla Debuts Implementation of WebThings Gateway Open Source Router Firmware with a special version for Pi V4. According to Venture Beat. Also on Slashdot.

I've done it but it's laggy.
The best-supported OS is Debian and you'll need to install a lot of software to make it usable.
Even then, it'll be slow.

Whoever buys one of those things without a project idea in mind should be stomped to death immediately.

Or waterboarded

Do these pieces of shit depend on nonfree shitware out the ass still?

Arm is the future, faggots.

if you buy a case w/ a fan that comes with the mini heatsinks you'll be fine.

also run PiHole

The point is I can "Do it all" I'd have yet another PCB board with more wires, more time, another IDE, etc.
With this I can have my clock right there, browse the web, etc without changing devices.

I'm not saying it's "the best" or "makes sense" for most people, because then you'd agree with me.
But for me, it does and I like it. I guess that's why they sell some units that actually get some use.

arduino is cringe because you still need a separate PC for it to receive commands when you're programming to it
RaspberryPi is an all in one

I guess microcontrollers have been deprecated now.

Attached: scropio.jpg (800x450, 140K)

Set it on a breadboard(because I'm too cheap to buy the case) and turn it into my bbs machine

How well does it run for you with those options and for what do you use it for?

Mine came yesterday, I'm making it into my local backup server (3 local windows machines with Macrium) that will also upload incrementals to B2 on schedule. Not much of a programming project but i will most likely program the scheduler in Python (to be run by cron job) because i find it easiest to work with.
I have a RPi2 running pihole already, still undecided if I'll migrate it to the Pi4 for better performance, or not to not compromise the key backup component.

NAS?

what for

What would you even use it for?

Internet?
Video games?
Home theater?
Spreadsheets?
Image/video editing/encoding?

Also, I think the Rpi4 won't be nearly as laggy as the Rpi3. But, DEs are all 200% bloat filled disasters in 2019 for some fucking reason.

I have been thinking about this too.

Using a cheap enclosures and old 2.5" drives you can make a nice raid0 NAS for dirt cheap.

Internet, and just more comfy and convenient to work with on the home network than the spooky full screen terminal that you get otherwise.
Yeah, optimization was quickly thrown out the window when compooters became speedy, that's why I have to ask what a good setup would be.

Attached: 1564134563492.gif (197x183, 39K)

>optimization was quickly thrown out the window when compooters became speedy
Understatement.

Back in the day, when MS-DOS was king, I used an extensive autoexect.bat file and a special mouse driver that could be used in a batch file. I turned the autoexect.bat file into a pseudo-OS of sorts. So, instead of going into Windows 95/98 and clicking on shit, I just clicked on shit in the little ASCII-graphic pseudo-OS of the batch file I made. It was ultra fast, still easy to use, and didn't waste resources for the games/programs I wanted to load and use. I wish I still had that file and driver.

One should be able to do something similar in a Nix-based OS. Basically, it is just a bunch of terminal commands in a script/batch file with mouse support. That can be done in Bash I think, but I'm not too familiar with nix shit yet. There's also this for a terminal mouse,
stchaz.free.fr/mouse.zsh
Which looks promising.

Attached: Modern World Bloat.png (1880x2172, 180K)

install arch or gentoo and rice it

v4l2 waiting room

RAID 0 NAS?
What the hell are you even doing? Do you not care about your media? RAID or you deserve to lose all your shit

Why is that even a think in 2019? Is it just some legacy S&M thing?

I hope you're kidding I haven't bought a pi4 yet because I'm waiting for the 8gig version to come out. I want a mini workstation with gpio.

>Out of stock
>Back Ordered
>nearly 1 million posts on the Rpi forums
>8GB version on the way

How good is the crack you are smoking?

>Be CEO of Raspberry
>Need to bolster failing sales
>Looks around playroom sees Nintendo
>Copies Nintendo
>Let’s pretend pi4 out of stock
>Let’s pretend backorders needed
>Let’s pretend more ppl use forum these days than actually do
>Let’s lie and pretend bigger and better is on the way.

Raspberry will be bankrupt by 2020 FACT

>8GB version on the way
Really? When's it out?

I take it this is a shill for one of the other boards?

I have a 1gb pi 4 and it will be my new htpc and n64 emulator. It can do 1080p 10 bit hevc decode over WiFi in hardware. Nuff said

This spec bump is better than all previous spec bumps combined

Next year is Pi's 8th anniversary.

Not at all. Just an honest observation. The citizen developer boom is over. Nobody wants to build stuff when they can buy similar products almost as cheap. And more shiny looking.

I don't believe school labs think that way.

School labs will eventually just show students how to use AWS or Azure services with off the shelf things like Amazon-branded IOT devices etc

Sounds like a lot of projection and assumptions. My cousin's school ordered a butt ton of Rpis, but no clue which version.

I guess someone on the official forums has found a way to boot the pi from an USB drive.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-27-19-07-51-389_com.brave.browser.jpg (1200x554, 102K)

And by Pi I meant Pi 4.

Because HDD's fail frequently in 2019 and cloud sync is far from infallible yet, so an extra $49 HDD is an easy fix

Can the rpi4 4gb emulate Nintendo Switch games 720p/1080p at 60fps?

Attached: Souryuu.Asuka.Langley.full.1345484.jpg (600x727, 186K)

no?

Attached: 1547284762845.gif (300x168, 791K)

What about Wii u games? Is the rpi4 4gb powerful enough to emulate Wii u games at 60fps?

>video games

Gross

Attached: Goose Attack 03.jpg (648x1290, 478K)

>vidya is gross response
Short answer is that it can't then.

Are emulators still as shit now as they were 10 years ago?

It runs 30% faster. And it runs just fine.

No. The Jaguar emulator is a little shit, but major consoles, and computers up to Wii u are decent. I haven't tried ps2, Xbox, Xbox 360, or more modern though.

My 3b+ was laggy, but my 4 seems to work alright.

>arduino is cringe because you still need a separate PC
you are a fucking retard

Shit, the Rpi4 can get dual screen 4k. My PC can't even do that properly. Though, my PC can use Photoshop.

Can, but how well? I'm using a 1080p display.

Raspbian with Pixel runs almost as fast as my T420 when it ran KDE Plasma.