Is Calibre A Good Ebook Service?

Was looking for something to view my ebooks anywhere. Basically a Jellyfin/Emby/Plex for Ebooks.

Came across Calibre, looks like it might be waht I'm looking for. Was curious if this is good or you guys reccomend something better? Obviously open source.

Attached: isCalibrebased.png (1012x565, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

johnfactotum.github.io/foliate/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's decent, just go for it.

Life is to short to question everything on a mediterian vegetable appreciation board.

>Doesn't know how to spell Mediterranean
>In a thread about eBooks and literacy

if you can find something better please let us know
calibre does the job and does it well but it's bloated and slow as balls and annoying to use

It's alright, but kind of pajeet-tier

This. Calibre might not be a great program, but it's the best we have.

Jow Forums should make one

you can say the same about anki. it works and has a lot of features, but performance is pretty trash along with the UI.

has Jow Forums ever made any software worth using?

Only individually. I guess because of autism Jow Forums sucks at working together

its DRM ripper plugin is A+++ would use again
otherwise like everyone else has said: slow, feature bloat, gross fisher price UI

>needing to spell in order to read

dumbass

if you read a lot, i would recommend an eReader like Kindle or tolino
they are way less stressful for your eyes than normal displays and you can get them for less than a 100$

This is the only reason I use it. Years ago I bought Kindle versions of textbooks for school and returned them after I stripped the DRM. Now I just rip books I buy from Amazon for permanent storage in ePub.

Does Calibre allow you to read e-books through it web UI nowadays? I remember it would only let you download them. While that of course means you can read them, it doesn't make it so you can have synchronized reading progress across different devices and such, or make them available straight through a browser, so it wouldn't really be the Jellyfin/Emby/Plex for books. I know Ubooquity does that sort of thing, but it's not open source and development is incredibly slow (or it's been abandoned) while the thing is still quite bare-bones and missing features which I would consider to be pretty important.

>Doesn't know how to spell Mediterranean
English spelling doesn't matter mediterranean is just two stolen words from Latin that translate into medium terrain.

If my book is PDF I like to use calibre to convert to epub or txt and use text to speech to have it read to me. Then delete the PDF if I don't care for the pictures.

Calibre was great years and years ago, what changed about it? It was never as bad as comicrack which was hands down the worst and most bloated "book" library/manager.

All software inevitable gets BLOATED

Are you reading that much at one time? epubs are that big, could just carry around a copy of the library on the device.

Actually, I am amazed at how positive Calibre seems to be taken with most of you. Calibre and the lack of good alternatives was my initial reason not adopting ebook formats in the first place years back. (I rarely keept anything different then pdfs since then.) I found Calibre to be a nearly indescribable piece of crippled atomic waste.

Attached: 1563219356964.gif (328x328, 1.48M)

Is the dev still going through with his genius plan to fork Python 2.7 rather than moving on to Python 3?

Is there a way to view the thumbnails of the pictures in the books like you can with windows?
It only has the cover avalible...

Use it for my kindle paperwhite. Its literally the only program out there for easily transferring shit on it.
doesn't work inexplicably for a few weeks now tho, lsusb shows the kindle, calibre doesnt see it tho.

I open up my epubs using leafpad. I open my pdfs using Document Viewer. And I just store them all in a folder titled "ebooks."

Of course, I also actually use an e-ink reader, so I don't really need to use my computer at all, other than loading them onto my Kobo Aura H20 (version 1, which still has the micro SD card).

Nobody mentioning ubooquity in this thread? It kicks calibre's ass. Bonus for ability to manage comics too.

Can you transfer stuff on a kindle with it?

java or python2, what poison should I pick?

It's got a "read" and a "download" button so you could download to your kindle.

It's clunky but it's the only piece of desktop software that actually allows you to fully tag and organise archive files until your autism is satisfied.

Attached: calibre.jpg (2500x1360, 1.23M)

the things I hate about calibre, when naming hundreds of books, I double click to highlight then rename them. But the response time on this is so slow. Also it take a while to search through all the books in the search option.

Also I havent even figured out a way to sort more manga properly in it. Such as in windows I can do this,
C:\One punch man\Volume 1\Chapter 1
C:\One punch man\Volume 1\Chapter 2
C:\One punch man\Volume 1\Chapter 3
C:\One punch man\Volume 2\Chapter 4
C:\One punch man\Volume 2\Chapter 5

Since calibre has no sub directory options I can't sort my manga out in volumes and chapters

Ok guys, I'll make the logo

it's super clunky and the pajeet who writes it is a total sperg but it has no real competition, it's the best at what it does.

This may be the best program any Indian has ever made. It's bloated, slow and randomly fails, yet it works 99% of the time and keeps improving.

just throw everything in a single folder with the manga name
>~/Documents/manga/One Punch Man/One Punch Man Volume {01..02} Chapter {1..5}*

Foliate? Horrible name, I know.
johnfactotum.github.io/foliate/

Imagine the hellish experience it must be to watch Jow Forums arguing 'bout which language to choose to write some software.

Service? Nigger, it's software.

Google Play Books

samefagging Pajeets come out of the woodwork to defend the honor of Calibre whenever someone points out its many flaws. It might even be Kovid himself.