/hpg/ - headphone general

Hello all, this is a thread for discussion of headphones, as well as amplifiers and source components like DACs.

For recommendations there is a certain style to copy, but I forgot it for now.

> Budget
> Open/Closed
> Previous headphones
> Preferred sound signature

Attached: headphone tiers.png (1536x3123, 1.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Eu9WfqJGoPc
youtu.be/iFx9bzMbYAA
amazon.com/dp/B0001ARCFA
zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2060-amp-extreme
youtu.be/MD2so7Ke8lg?t=284
thingiverse.com/thing:2337921
m.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_612_pro.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for SUMMIT FIDELITY

Attached: FCBFB1D6-99B5-46D5-BA56-7B7113F89FCA.jpg (4032x2200, 1.66M)

trying to find some headphones to use when a headset isnt necessary.

>~$250 CAD
>Open
>Beyerdynamic MMX 300
>not sure about sound signature but i listen to jazz mostly so something that would compliment that

58x from massdrop or 6xx if you have an amp already

fucking steel series gaming headsets are better than almost all of that garbage

Attached: 79ab1122c4be973170d2f52bf915cc86.png (1237x622, 77K)

user, tonight listening you are what

Attached: 2DF2BBC0-F425-4CF4-8A98-FDB379378889.jpg (4032x3024, 2.96M)

>ATH-WS 606 BBT
>youtu.be/Eu9WfqJGoPc

Attached: __tokarev_girls_frontline_drawn_by_juz__b67e5e17a6677f532c4a410c13d52428.jpg (1000x1259, 122K)

redpill me on the DT 990 vs the DT 880 (both at 600 ohm)

Focal evex
Looked up an eq recommended to me and tried to eq the best i could, really evened out the mids without messing with vocals widened up the sound stage a bit so im happy

youtu.be/iFx9bzMbYAA
Diggin thia album right now too

Attached: 20190726_184814.jpg (2560x1280, 706K)

> sub 1000 usd (better price / perf prefered)
> Closed
> Balanced
> Previously own M40x, sony v6, sen hd600, sen momentum 2
> preferred sig: neutral and detailed preferably with as good a soundstage as possible
> gear: rme adi2 dac + thx 789

Wanting to see what I can get in the upper echalons of hifi. In the past I've prefered neutral sigs that respond well to eq so I can tweak them with my rme. I've balance modded my m40xs and I've come to much prefer balanced over unbalanced. What's a good set of cans that won't dissapoint and falls in my price range?

Oh and good build quality is a must.

>mdr7506 not on the graphic

Are these good headphones? amazon.com/dp/B0001ARCFA

Friend has them and says they are good for the price. Is there anything better in a similar price range? ($50-80)

Attached: 1526266819537.jpg (625x469, 212K)

checking out the schiit stack on the Elex. never knew what I was missing out on

I know, right? I've had mine for 6 years and only ever had to replace the earpads.

>No k240's
I am disapoint.

They're nice, but for a bit more I'd get a pair SHP9500 at $80 shipped on prime.

Can't wait for my STAX to come in so I can efficiently listen to music on my Gentoo-installed Thinkpad T420.

These are memes right? like unironically paying thousands for headphones?

Attached: Ewwwww.gif (500x281, 486K)

Please tell me you guys are kidding right... like its so much money

Haven't given a shit about new headphones in a long time but I was wondering whatever happened to that old guy that used to review headphones. After some strain, I remembered his channel was called innerfidelity. I see he's now quit headphones and is cruising around in some self sustaining incognito delivery truck. I wondered and I was not disappointed.

P.S. I can only imagine that Beyerdynamic aficionados also enjoy the sounds of nails on a chalkboard. I hear the screeching is really detailed.
Anyway see you in another 7 years.

Very nice.
I went with the oratory EQ for my Elex. Normally I'm against EQing, but these headphones just benefit a lot from it. Specially when making them a tad less shouty in the upper mids, does them wonders.

Attached: ifi_elex.jpg (1500x2000, 1.43M)

Had these for about 4 years, but the left earcup snapped off. Tried repairing with tape, but doesn't fit well on my ears. Unless I could fix this with replacement parts, I'm thinking about just getting another M40x. Or

>At or under $100 (basically around the same price as the M40x)
>closed
>
>I like more emphasis on bass and treble. I listen to all kinds of music, but favor metal and some EDM

Attached: 20190726_233528.jpg (4032x2268, 2.39M)

Get a job.

Got my custom one pro plus right here... Been using it for years. Best purchase I've ever made

yes, thousands upon thousands

F
For that price range, it's hard not to recommend the M40x's.
Maybe, since you do like bass and treble emphasis, look into spending a bit more and take a look at the DT770 Pro?

If you want something less new, I recommend picking up another set of M40xs and saving up for ZMF Oval Pads (I prefer Cowhide, but do some research for your preference.)

I have a set of M40xs on my headphone wall with those pads. I cannot go back to stock M40xs. Those pads make them immaculate.

monolith m1060c

meant for

>Meze Empyrean

Attached: mpv-shot0009.jpg (5760x4320, 2.01M)

I would also like to know this. Most people seem to say 58X, but that glossy plastic looks so bad on it.

Spending more then a couple hundred dollars on headphones seems absolutely insane if you have the space and living environment to do speakers. Does everyone here really think headphones are better sounding then a pair of speakers? Really makes you think.

well then user, just what headphones are you listening with?

Attached: 5934651E-CE71-46D9-9825-DD79CA41F658.jpg (4032x3024, 2.3M)

Amir Amir
Alle wollen nur dich zähmen
Amir Amir
Am ende gefangen zwischen deinen zähnen

Attached: 2A0CD534-AF82-464E-83DF-5FCB55A5D669.jpg (250x166, 4K)

I personally like headphones more than speakers except when listening for extended periods in which I prefer speakers.

>how amir sees themself

Attached: amir.jpg (850x567, 74K)

Why do you lie to yourself? Why try to cope instead of accepting the truth?

Where the fuck are the Audio Technicas? What is this nu/g/ nonsense?

What's the best headphones for commuting?
Something with good isolation, preferably wireless, not too big and doesn't look retarded.

Attached: thisismy.png (739x568, 44K)

You people are fucking nerds.

Attached: pic related.jpg (1000x887, 49K)

Bose QC 35 II or Sony WH-100XM3 are your best options. Bose also just came out with the NC 700 but I havent read too much into that

>says the cunt who wears this in public

AHAHAHAA

Attached: a.png (707x530, 117K)

Amir a shit

Attached: 33637D3F56C2424DA06B9C4E96803A34.jpg (562x571, 67K)

Thoughts on the NDH-20? I’ve been eyeballing a pair, primarily to produce music (mostly just whatever interesting tunes I can squeeze out of my Minibrute 2 and Minilogue, I’m going to wait a few years before releasing anything) and play vidya gaems. Should I pull the trigger?

Attached: A59E2B50-B606-47CC-B644-F484800BFA1E.jpg (659x542, 265K)

How come SBAF is even allowed to be this based?

Attached: 50AFB604-02E5-4AFC-9C04-3320486B1C35.jpg (1000x562, 201K)

>Budget
$100-150 USD
>Source
Desktop & bluetooth dongle when outside
>Open or Closed
Open preferred but not necessary
>Comfort level
Important. Over-ear is a must.
>Sound signature
No preference
>Past headphones
Phillips Fidelio L2
akg k240 mkii

I just broke my favorite L2s. Looking for a good upgrade/replacement, or if I should just get another pair.

Had the same thing happen to me, bought a dt770. Much more comfortable and the sound is a little bit better

Hi user looking for some recommendation

>300€
>closed
>random 50 euro stuff
>no idea

Looking for a nice Bluetooth headset which do not require app. Distributed in Europe for warranty. Included microphone for phone call (shit quality, idk). I can go up to 500€ if it worth it.
Comfy and durability is the most important for me. Then sound quality, then battery life.

Thx anons

Where would Jow Forums put my pair of vmoda m-100's or pic of crossfade wireless 2's in said list of hi-fi headphones? Have any of you tried any pairs of vmoda headphones yourself's yet?

Attached: image.jpg (960x720, 210K)

vmoda wireless 2s might be worth a look user, there 175-250$ Depending on sale's you get, there Bluetooth wireless, pretty robust steel design, steel plates are swappable & highly customizable from rare metals to even custom 3d printed metal designs, though i would recommend there XL cups if your looking for long term listing comfort. As for sound I think they sound pretty good after 2-3 years of having them, there bass reperduction & sound repreduction within normal listing volume's sounds pretty good to me & a few other reviewes I've heard from on youtube say pretty much the same.

I literally had beats pro, due the lack of soundstage and shitty boominess and fucking shit i trashed them. Whoever shills them are nigger lovers

Have $260usd to spend, is there anything better than the Sennheiser HD6XX that sounds like it but better?

I'm currently rocking the HD700's and HE-400i's with an NFB-11 and Darkvoice tube amp. I have some money rn, and I'm considering selling all of it for some L700's Stax. Can I get by with just those as my headphones, or will I want to save longer and keep my collection for variety?

Thx user, but I don't really like the esthetic, since I will wear it in public, would appreciate something sober.

can I get some recommendations?
Previous pair were some Koss ur40's
I have about 80usd to spend
needs to have a detachable cable
would prefer semi open.
I was thinking of trying some akg 240s but I don't know if I want something flat anymore.

Attached: 1475803531554.png (405x472, 358K)

So, I remember years back when everybody was using expensive sound cards and whatnot. Then people talked about DACs. Is that still a thing, or are you supposed to focus on an expensive AMP now? Also what really is the effect of all those things if you don't have reference monitors and listen to music from pleb sources like Youtube? It can't make a huge difference surely?

DAC is 80% of the audio chain

kek no

Basically, you want to choose a good Schiit amp as the backbone of your setup while using Modi Multibit as your DAC.

Attached: F95B84EE-416B-4D10-A6FB-D410D0E1E202.png (1059x755, 104K)

meaning the DAC makes a bigger difference in audio quality than the AMP? I thought so too, but many people tend not to discuss DAC's here.

How does this work for mobile listening though?

>Plankton

The rest 20% being the cables

Need help

Basically I bought a new gpu which I can't control the fans on them and they get really loud in all games and it makes me want to literally kill myself. Is there a pair of sub £100 headphones that will block out that nouse? I literally don't care how uncomfortable, bad quality sound etc is I just want to block out this god damn noise

you can control the fan RPM via nvidia/amd software. I can hear my PC fans idling at 300RPM while headphones are on but I listen at really low volumes

I have tried every single thing to control my gpu fans, I swear to god I would literally paypal 20 bucks rmto anyone who knew a simple way tmfor me to control my gpu fans and I am not meming

what GPU are you using, and what settings have you used for it?

You know he's not meming with those quads.

Zotac rtx 2060 3 fan
Intel i7 3770
Intel DH77KC mobo
Corsaur 550txm gold certified psu

I have tried every single gpu fan control progam all the same, I am currently using firestorm

i would charge you interest for each time you mess it up.

have you tried msi afterburner?

20 bucks is my limit
Yes

I assume this is what you got
zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2060-amp-extreme
in which case it's only supposed to go up to 37dBA on load
if it isn't then it's the SUPER version you got, and I don't know how loud that goes to
but if it's more a fan sound frequency issue then sure, get a pair of headphones and block it out
I'm somehow willing to bet that the backplate lacks thermal pads like this shows here youtu.be/MD2so7Ke8lg?t=284
in which case you could solve heat issues and subsequently the fan's activity levels by simply getting less than half a dozen pounds worth of thermal pads

set a fan speed limit, your gpu is supposed to thermal throttle and drop performance when it can't cool itself further

I've set up my 1080Ti to run on lower fan speeds but it gets hot, but i don't care if it shaves off life on the card anyway, I can afford another, some people try undervolting for lower temps but I can still run everything 1440p 60fps anyways

If I most grow accustomed to a life of loud GPU, is there no sub £100 headphones that will block out the noise. Quality etc dont matter except the noise cancelling quality

Best AMP & DAC (separate or all in one) under $220usd, can't buy straight from JDS they add $42usd shipping to here in New Zealand, schiit either can't ship to me or adds the same amount of shipping costs.

HD280 Pro

I don't think its heat issues
Obviously I have tried a fan speed limit, I have literally said like 5 times my GPU ignores all fan control software dude

I've got you covered senpai, just find a 3D printing service.
Even if you want new heaphones you should at least revive them.

Attached: m40x.png (347x469, 141K)

So if I buy these it will block out the gpu fan noises? I really don't want to spend £80 on them if you are meming on me

if you want open backs
m.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_612_pro.htm
they'll lack bass impact in comparison to closed headphones, so if you want that go closed instead

Someone just told me if I want to truly block out thr nouse get a pair of Sound reducing ear muffs and just put a pair of earphones under it. Is he a brainlet or is that a better option. All I care about is blocking out my loud GPU

water cool your GPU

Its not a heating issue

hey duds
I bought hyper x cloud 2 bcs it was best for what 85eur could give
is there even a decent upgrade for similar price?

If truly everything has failed to work for you then the only option left is to watercool the gpu. Then you can use whatever quiet fans you want, and they can be controlled via bios.

I just bought a pair of ear defenders and some cheap noise cancelling earphones. Did this poor fag do ok for blocking out my gpu noise or did I waste £27?

I think you could get by with Stax. They’re definitely lacking in subbass, but distortion is crazy low that you really can EQ up the bass if you want. I’ve played with +20dB in the low end (

There will be something he can do.
Watercooling is expensive as fuck, especially since they don't offer AIOs for gpus.

My watercooling setup almost cost me more than the rest of my PC.

It's abnormal to not be able to control gpu fan speed.

Things I would try:
>Triple check your fan settings and GPU temps
>Run afterburner/gpu software as administrator
>Uninstall and reinstall drivers
>Make sure entire OS and all drivers are up to date
>Turn of PC and disconnect/reconnect card
>If you have an old card lying around, plug that in and see if you can control the fan speeds for that card
> alternately try swapping your card out into a friend's rig and see if they can control the fan speed

If your friend can't control the fan speed either then the card might be faulty.

earphones with some ambient noise or music in the background should be more than enough to drown out even washing machine noises
the decibels of which your GPU certainly doesn't reach

Gpu temps are fine, what you mean by check can settings
Ran afterburner, you software with admin same thing
Already reinstalled and uninstalled drivers
All drivers and is up to date
Tried disconnecting reconnecting card
No old card lying around, I am not 100% but I am pretty sure after running my rtx then trying to run my old 1050 after I could no longer control the 1050 fans either when I could before I got my rtx 2060 but I am not sure

So my ear defenders and earphones under it will be overkill, I wont hear my fans at all? That would be perfect

yeah and you'll be sweating with the defenders
scrap those unless you're hearing lorries or construction outside your place constantly

a periodic reminder that you dont need anything more than hd600 on otl tubes.

Steel Epoxy Stick+2 Step Steel Epoxy(jb weld). Use tiewire to build a skeleton, wrap around the area. Then cover it with JB weld. cover that in stick epoxy.

They're m40's. so i'd just throw em in a drawer and get some better headphones.

However you can buy those cheap Monoprice knockoffs. Then transfer your drivers into the frames. I did it with an old pair of m50's, whose frame had been fixed with tirewire and epoxy to the point of being unfixable. Takes a bit of soldering/fucking around to get the wiring right.

Buy a pair of those open Sennheisers. 59* or whatever the fuck rebadge name the call em nowadays.

Attached: 41HLwjRxwYL._SX466_.jpg (466x350, 13K)

They were designed partly for the purpose of reproducing low frequencies at full amplitude, so you can set the bass response to any value you like without penalty.

What is my option then, I just dont want to hear my stupid piece of shit GPU that wont let me control the fans due to some issue with the card or my pc