/PPC/ PowerPC

Welcome to the PowerPC general! A space to discuss all things POWER ISA related.

Reminder:
>>>/global/rules/10
>No spamming or flooding of any kind. No intentionally evading spam or post filters.

Evolution of PowerPC:
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Power_ISA

Wanna get your next-gen G4?
nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/integrated-host-processors/risc-microprocessor:MPC7448?tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&fromSearch=false#/

About Power9:
ibm.com/it-infrastructure/power/power9

Budget-friendly Talos Blackbird:
secure.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/purchase.html

Previous:

Attached: 1563668385616.png (1366x768, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

barefeats.com/pentium4.html
barefeats.com/macvpc.html
secure.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/purchase.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>preemptive

Attached: 1563976986692.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

Hello, brother.

Attached: Picture 2.jpg (1023x767, 233K)

Man, those iBook G3 are resilient as fuck.
The Late 2003 model is literally a Nintendo Wii.

>Wanna get your next-gen G4?
>7448
Weren't these CPU's included with late Powerbooks?

Physically, they hold up really well, but will all inevitably suffer from GPU failure, due to shitty BGA soldering. This one I'm typing on has been used on and off for roughly a year now, and no problems so far.

I believe they are later revisions.

Back to you containment board manchild

Attached: 1557644315392.png (400x1650, 367K)

The case of my 12" PowerBook G4 is pretty fucked. Is there any way to fix it?

Is the Wii U the best price to performance PPC machine available right now

>macshit
>designed to fail
>designed to be unfixable
Found your problem.

Maybe because it's old?
The PPCs were some of the best computers at the time, dumbass. P4s were trash

Street shit harder iJeet. Apploo was literally banned from advertising their macshit as the "world's fastest computer" in UK because they found out it was a complete lie.

Attached: 1555735978901.png (610x1054, 160K)

>P4s were trash
True.
But G5 macs were steaming shitheap dumpsterfires.

Yes, large companies are liars, and Apple is no exception. Brilliant detective work. Nice shill site though

Here are some actual benchmark results through third party testing. Sure, the IBM chips are not the absolute fastest, but they're pretty good
barefeats.com/pentium4.html
barefeats.com/macvpc.html

Attached: macpc-cin.gif (469x226, 12K)

Level1techs says there's gonna be an announcement at the OpenPower summit that's an open secret now.

Maybe I'm just too retarded but what is that secret?

probably Power10 or new barriers that make it harder to get if you aren't a huge company. They really need to move back into the consumer space

Oh goodie. Because it's not like every other CPU maker asides from Intel and AMD exclusivley chases the server market/super computers already.

/thread

PowerPC is tech. Mac is tech. You winpajeets are retarded.

Dil8

Weren't they gonna release a Power9 revision without speculative execution?

I wonder what the results would have been against a Paxville Dual-Cure Xeon, which was released immediately after the PowerPC 970MP.
Such a shame when you consider Intel could afford shitting new processors every three to six months while IBM was stuck with a single platform for years.
Fuck Applel.

Fuck PowerPC, m68k died for it. Turns out it died for nothing.

Because Applel didn't know how to take advantage of the m68k processing power.
Only the Amiga 4000T ever did, but their low volume orders couldn't justify (in the eyes of Motorola anyway) keep making chips.

Is it worth? What do you use your ppc-based device for?

To masturbate

Is playstation 3 (linux installed) accepted in this thread?

Rude and gross, thanks for the reply senpai.

Of course!

see

I alway found it funny how easier it is to find as/400 minicomputers than it is to find rs/6000 stations and minis where I live. I've been thinking about getting one, sometimes the seller supply a twinax terminal and a bunch of things with it, and the fact that OS/400 has a bunch of compilers as well as DB2 integrated seems kinda nice.

>where I live.
Santa Clara?

France.

No one cares manchild.

obsessed

obsessed manchild

Attached: 1559765989060.jpg (996x954, 319K)

>PowerPC
>Applel
Everyone look at this tech illiterate incel and laugh.

Attached: power285.jpg (552x280, 32K)

>talk about as/400 and IBM stuff
>he goes apeshit about apple

Attached: yamcha_wat.jpg (329x333, 29K)

I have access to a few POWER9 servers running AIX and they are big beefy boys too.

Attached: 1544500384018 (1).jpg (399x351, 67K)

Loved that debugger I used on AIX, animator. It was great.
ksh is nice too.

I wish Talos II wasn't the only ones that made POWER 9 ATX Motherboards. They are not budget friendly at all for the features they give.
Hell the 8 core POWER9 chip costs LESS than their basic uATX motherboard. Like what the fuck.

What's the everyday desktop-drivability of something like that Blackbird board? I'm intrigued by alternative architectures but not into it enough to just dick around on a total devbox

>secure.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/purchase.html
never mind, holy fuck that's expensive even with the most barebones configuration
i'll leave that hobby to a much richer person in the future, thanks

Well you obviously won't use AIX, or Mac, so you'll be forced to use one of the Linux distributions that support ppc64/le. You'll probably have to compile a lot of things unless the distribution actually stocks a repository full of things already compiled for ppc. So probably Gentoo.
Yeah raptor is fucking redic expensive.

The processors are higher volume parts that work in more than the Blackbird and Talos II; it's not too surprising that such a niche product comes with a hefty price tag

thought about getting one but yeah, prices are insane. settled with a xeon thinkstation. i know, not the same, but at least i could afford it.

>Only the Amiga 4000T ever did
Elaborate.

The G5 Quad is still up for casual desktop use.
But yeah, if you're doing intensive tasks the Xeon definitely suits you better.

Certain models of the 4000T shipped with a Motorola 68060 running at 50Mhz which are the highest performant m68k chips ever released.

i had a dual G5 about 12 years ago but it died the logicboard death.

Yeah, but how did it take advantage of it in ways that Apple, Sun, HP and the tons of other ex-68k vendors that dumped it for other architectures didn’t?

Only up to the 7447a, apparently a lot of upgrade boards used the 7448 though.

Ah gotcha. I just took a look at OP’s link, and the minimum order for those things is like 40 something lmfao.