/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: F3gefQv__400x400.jpg (400x400, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)#Availability
old.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/chz283/my_1_month_of_opensuse_as_an_arch_user/
github.com/olive-editor/olive
gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix/issues/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I is Manjaro the most balanced distro of 2019?

no

For me, it's Fedora.
*tips*

I wouldn't say it's balanced, in fact it's quite extreme. It's just Arch with an installer and default themes and settings. Arch is the most extreme distro when it comes to new packages, constantly getting the newest packages at the cost of system stability (ie things change, sometimes breaking your workflow). It's both the benefit and drawback of a rolling release model.

What is the best option for someone who wants most recents packages, Fedora or Opensuse TW?

Attached: 1446140549607.jpg (676x676, 95K)

fedora

Unironically Arch.

Why?

I'm too noob to try that now. Maybe later.

Fedora will have new packages when a new version of Fedora is released.

openSUSE Tumbleweed will constantly get the latest packages without having to reinstall or wait for a new version.

Arch has slightly newer packages at the cost of bugs and more instability (things changing). For instance they have KDE 5.16.3 while Tumblweed is sticking with 5.16.2-bugfix for now.

So Fedora is more stable then TW?

Yes, in the sense that Debian stable is "stable". Both systems probably won't crash very much if at all, but the "stability" that a point release offers is that things won't change on updates. Example: If you rely on a filter in GIMP and the behavior changes in 2.11 or whatever your workflow might be disrupted if you're running Arch and it pulls in the new version of GIMP.

"unstable" isn't a pejorative, it's both a benefit and drawback of rolling release.

>arch is the most extreme
fuck off archfag.
gentoo with -9999 **

OK, I will try Fedora first. Thanks.

Attached: chika.jpg (1920x1080, 162K)

You can compile newer versions on Gentoo, but if you really wanted to you could compile git versions on any other distro. Arch is just the one that ends up packaging releases the fastest.

t. openSUSEfag

why is gentoo so praised? i've started using linux recently but am curious to why people like it

If you are a noob you have no need for the most recent packages. Just use Debian, Noobuntu, Fedora, Mageia, or literally anything you want. Your first step should be just becoming comfortable with GNU/Linux in general.

trips

if tumbleweed delays a package there's usually a good reason, and a lot of opensusers are kde devs
tho this time might be related to their change to LTO (compile thing that makes stuff faster) requiring recompile ALL their packages

why would i use fedora over ubuntu?

Artificial look-at-me brownie points to show other nerds how "techie" you are. Same farthuffing shit that Macfags do but for slightly different reasons

So that you don't have to use a franken-debian or apt

Attached: this.gif (300x186, 446K)

is there any utility similar to MSI afterburner that allows you to undervolt a GPU?
I get 15 to 20 degrees off my GPU and can keep the fans silent by undervolting with Windows but am yet to find any reasonable tool to do this on linux based OSes.

not convincing

Just downloaded arch with i3, how do I get rid of the instructions/keybindings reminder on the background bottom left corner?

..is retarded.
f[inished]tfy

I sometimes use an external monitor with my laptop.
The monitor I use is a tad weird and if I run it at its native resolution (1680x1050) the edges of the screen kinda get cut off (picture too large for the actual panel).

Now to get around this issue on Windows I use a custom resolution utility to display a few lines less (1656x1035) along with centered GPU scaling and that works pretty much perfectly.

How do I go about accomplishing the same thing on Debian?

So im kinda stuck on this, i think i have the logic right but im struggling on how to store the output and then use it later
A few years ago i started re-encoding some improperly recorded videos(the bitrate was over 100k and the file size inflated)
I have these converted files and un converted files in the same folder,thousands of them.I kinda forgot about this projects till now
I know i encoded the new ones with lower bit rates and used Opus for audio encoding. I'm trying to find a way to separate these already converted files away from the unconverted ones.
How can i do this?

#!/bin/bash
OPUS=(OPUS)
for i in *.mkv; do
mediainfo --Inform="Audio;%Format%" "$i" > "$CODEC";
if ["$CODEC" !="$OPUS"]; then
mv "$i" convert/;
fi
done

The main advantages of Fedora is that they time their releases to coincide with releases of GNOME. So while Ubuntu coincidentally has GNOME 3.32 in 19.04, Fedora 30 was planned to have it. If you have KDE I don't think the same applies. But Fedora is a decent distro, reasonably up to date and stable. Just a minor pain to install RPMfusion to get those delicious patent encumbered packages.

i mean, there's got to be a reason. maybe it's something to do with how you need to compile the kernel? maybe that makes it more optimized?

If that's the main advantage, don't think I will install it over Ubuntu, lol

My laptop doesn't have a pc-speaker (obviously), but I would still like to get feedback thorough beeps. Right now echo -ne "\a" does nothing.
Is there a way to output the beeps the pc speaker would produce to my headphones? I'm using PulseAudio if that matters.

you could find a beep.wav or beep.mp3 and play it with mpv or something

But how would I make my system play that whenever it would normaly use the beeper?

>It's just Arch with an installer and default themes and settings.
Wrong. Manjaro keeps packages longer than Arch and also handles kernel differently than Arch (you install and update kernel with mhwd, not with pacman). I think it also has some additional repos though don't take my word for it.

>sometimes breaking your workflow

This is why I want to move away form Arch. Guix can get the newest versions and roll back if there is a problem. I don't want to trouble shoot small problems when I have literature to write and other skills I'm trying to learn.

Attached: 1421409251915.jpg (520x853, 300K)

Has anyone experienced issues with the Intel 8260? It craps itself on me when I do something that involves constantly moving data, like watching videos, or sending video. Using hangouts with screensharing at work is the worst, it craps itself after a couple of minutes.
I've disabled wifi power saving in TLP, but it doesn't help much. I can't remove and insert the kernel module either when the issue pops up.
I can provide kernel logs if needed.

>I'm too noob to try that now. Maybe later.
You aren't. Arch is the easiest distro to use. The documentation is amazing, and holds your hand through the process of setting up your system. I use it even when I run into issues in other distros.

I mean in theory yes. In practice 99% of people won't see a single benefit.

People who complain about apt are actually complaining about themselves being unable to learn to use a thing. apt is popular for being shit because beginners use apt distros and beginners usually fuck up a lot. apt did nothing wrong.

>holds your hand
>forces you to copy/paste a bunch of commands to install, and then manually set it up

meanwhile on ubuntu...
>sets everything up for you in the install

>easiest distro to use
yeah no

I would put the output of mediainfo into a variable and then compete if it's opus

for i in *.mkv; do
CODEC="$(mediainfo --Inform="Audio;%Format%" "$i")"

Is there a distro that allows you to mix up between stable and unstable packages?
Debian's autism of "if you want an years old, stable kernel you'll also need to accept an years old, stable web browser" has really started to get to me.

still waiting for my arch install to break

fedora any day

Guix and Nix
You can have any number of different versions of any software without conflicts.

Only people too stupid to figure out SELinux use Ubuntu

The file im testing on is PCM output but im getting that line 5 "[PCM: command not found"

Debian provides not only the stable version. Choose the one with currect packages if you want that.

>he fell for the fedora shills

Nice, thanks.

Go away with your NSAware.

What's wrong with Fedora?

>sets everything up for you in the install
1) you dont get as much choice during the installation
2) you don't actually know what the installer is doing in the background

0) lists start at 0
1) You can use the minimal server ISO if you just want to build up from the base packages
2) You don't really need to know everything it's doing, it's meant to be semi-automatic.

Linux is shit

a kernel*

Anyone know of a command line tool from grabbing metadata from audio/video files?

mediainfo or ffprobe

Is there some way to get rid of the screen tearing. I am using a GTX 660 Ti + nvidia-driver-418

DE?

MATE

I rest my case

are there any other distros than ubuntu that can use the unity desktop?

Anyone?

arch

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)#Availability

Can Guix sandbox Steam but give Proton the needed dependencies? Some games don't work when I contain Steam with Firejall of the faltpak. I think something is missing for Proton/wine for Windows games.

Politics
Redhat is owned by IBM and heavily pushed Systemd on everyone.

Attached: 1564065502667.jpg (650x650, 100K)

if you want a rolling release with tested packages and rollback functionality install opensuse tumbleweed with root / btrfs and use ext4 or xfs for home ~, go with kde
>old.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/chz283/my_1_month_of_opensuse_as_an_arch_user/
hurr durr r*eddit yeah its a valid resource just like stackoverflow, for this specific case its better than old forums

i'm currently testing out KDE Neon on windows 10 via virtualbox. is there any way i can utilize my AMD gpu through it in order to improve the responsiveness of the UI? it seems slightly sluggish. i delegated 5gb of memory and it would only let me give 128mb of vram to the virtual gpu.

why not install firefox manually? ubuntu and debian do NOT ship with apparmor enabled for the browser, and if you enabled it it will break a lot of shit
it autoupdates from mozilla

Use IceCat

Can I get the bogpill on "security focused" distros like Parrot, Qubes, etc.? Are they worth using over traditional distros?

Attached: 1563834259107.png (140x202, 34K)

No.

Qubes requires too much hardware. Gentoo hardened is easy to put anywhere. If is not fulfilling an specific purpose then makes no sense to use stuff like Tails or such. However, source based distros DO make sense for daily use and desktop installations, and they can be hardened.

Parrot is for pentesting.

It'll probably never happen.Arch is incredibly stable the last few years. This bullshit of rolling releases being unstable is a meme from 10 years ago.

thanks a lot

Any help?

>source based distros DO make sense for daily use and desktop installations
Till you gotta compile gtk3 or qt5 or KDE or GNOME or firefox or chromium. THen y our system is held up for 12+ hours on an i9 or longer if you have older hardware

>BUT BUT BUT BUT OVERLAYS
Then why bother with a source based then?

>try to install linux on desktop
>MODSIGN: couldn't get uefi db list
>restore defaults on mobo and set secure boot to standard (its disabled)
>now this
I know this usb works because I installed it onto a laptop before. any ideas? I unplugged my second monitor because I thought it might be having trouble with my displays but that didn't help

Attached: IMG_20190728_094534.jpg (3968x2510, 2.23M)

install gentoo

You need Compiz or Compton to act as either a compositing wm or standalone compositor respectively.

Personally I use compton, there's a fork that has nice blur (tryone and others). You could probably just get away with just setting it in MATE-Tweak under windows. Don't listen to the memes, compositing is absolutely mandatory.

I did before but got tired of compiling

>tried the latest OpenShot update
>it's still trash for making webms and it still corrupts most things under 5 seconds
Can you guys recommend me a good freetard video editor (with a GUI) that works both on Linux and Win10 that can make webms?

install gentoo

github.com/olive-editor/olive
kdenlive

Please don't use Windows. It's malware.

GNU/Linux*

Redpill me on opensuse

What is the best cli web browser?

After the Welcome to Manjaro screen, all I see is a string of failed dependencies and failed to start. I'm booting xfce manjaro. How do I fix this?

kdenlive was shit for webms too the last time I checked. But this Olive stuff is a pleasant surprise, it can actually export a fucking video. I'll try a few things with it. Thanks.
Oh you silly boys and your Gentoo maymays!

>uses windows
>calls others silly

Attached: 1564275134995.jpg (890x310, 160K)

What filesystem is best for reliability and what filesystem is best for performance?

Whats a basic music making application? like a synth/drum machine thing? I don't want to record music or filter waveforms, or have a full blown DAW -- just layer some digital instruments together with a drum machine/pianoroll

I don't see why not.
But then again, I don't see why you'd have trouble with firefail or flatpak either, so I don't know. Just note that there isn't any steam package for guix yet though.
I guess these guys are the closest: gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix/issues/2

Try an oldschool music tracker like milky tracker.