Zen2 Voltages (From someone who owns one)

So I recently put together my first PC ever, and while I originally was putting it together as a 2700x build, I was quickly informed and repeatedly reminded by everyone I asked for help with the build to "Forget the 2700x, wait for the 3700x. You'll be much happier"

So I did. Oops. Now I'm afraid to even use the thing and I'm quickly regretting buying it, plotting out how to return some of the older parts that may be past their return date, send AMD's parts back, and considering spending the extra money necessary to create an Intel build out of pure spite.

Before I continue, I wanted to go ahead and get this out of the way. I have read AMD Robert's post about their "Final word" on Zen2 voltages. I have followed his instructions down to the letter, I understand his explanation about the observer effect on the processor by some monitoring software, so I followed his instructions about using CPU-Z ONLY with nothing running in the background to check my voltages while following his steps and nothing has helped.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X build. My idle voltages sit at 1.4V+ constantly no matter what I do, with the occasional drop to 0.9V. My core temps fluctuate massively, PBO is WAY too sensitive, and without having to look very hard I find that others are having this EXACT same issue.

Let me repeat for clarity: My voltages do not "occasionally" go to 1.4V+, they SIT there CONSTANTLY, at idle, when I'm doing absolutely nothing.

CPU temps fluctuate a massive 20 degrees between 30c to 50c nonstop at idle, but settle around 50-60 under load, with my highest observed peak at about 73 degrees.
So the temperatures I've observed seem to be in a safe range, while still being completely nervewracking to someone who isn't used to it

PBO is so sensitive simply moving the mouse will send my clocks to 4.2GHZ and my fans will spin up and not stop until I do,

Attached: fuckfuckfuck-min.jpg (3488x3488, 2.39M)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

PBO is so sensitive simply moving the mouse will send my clocks to 4.2GHZ and my fans will spin up and not stop until I do, but once I do it doesn't matter much because the fans spin up every ten seconds because of the huge temperature fluctuation that happens minute-to-minute anyways.

These voltages and temp fluctuations stay the same under most any condition with the one exception I've found being putting the computer into the Windows Power Saver plan, which gives me a consistent 0.9 voltage, and keeps my temps stable. But then I'm not able to play the games I built the PC for and I didn't really spend $1800 on a PC to put it in power saver mode at any point anyways, you know? So forgive me for the occasional snarky comment, I'm justifiably a LITTLE frustrated.

To attempt to resolve this issue I've taken a number of steps, and tried multiple different configurations I'll list below, along with my build.

BUILD:
ASUS Rog Strix X470-F
Ryzen 7 3700X (Noctua DH15S cooler)
MSI GeForce 1660TI "Ventus"
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200@14CAS*
*(Side note I have have not been able to get my ram speed to 3200@14CAS in mobo settings, does not post when I try)

To start I made sure I was on the latest Windows update, made sure I had the latest chipset driver (1.07.07) per Rob's instruction and made sure my BIOS settings were set to "AUTO" in line with the ones recommended by AMD robert. The one exception to this rule was setting my CPU Voltage from "Auto" to "Normal" in my BIOS settings. I did not see this option in my ASUS BIOS, if someone could help me find it I'd be super appreciative.

In this process I am using CPU-Z, as instructed by AMD Robert to monitor my voltage, using NO other monitoring programs and being sure that any third party background apps are also not running. This included turning of ASUS' Aura sync and leaving it off.

Attached: PLS.png (400x397, 26K)

After changing my BIOS settings, I first tried the Ryzen Balanced Power plan as was mentioned in previous edits of his post and voltages did not change, staying around 1.4V+ with the occasional drop to 0.9
Then I tried the Windows Balanced Power Plan with the same results.
Then when I turn on Windows Power Saver my voltages drop straight to 0.9, and I am no longer able to use my PC the way I want to. Great.

So I then went back into BIOS settings and turned off PBO to see if this might help.
Came back and followed the same three steps and got the same results. Ryzen balanced, Windows Balanced, and then Power saver.

Power saver is once again the only plan with sane idle voltages, but still, of course makes my PC unusable for what I intended it. Awesome!

I am out of ideas. I want some help. I just spent an insane amount of money putting together my first usable gaming PC in over 5 years, excitedly bragged to my family and friends how I could stop playing browser games and start playing modern games with them only to find I put together a ticking time bomb for over one grand that I'll be lucky to keep working for two years at this rate. I'm so upset.

>ayyyymd

Jow Forums pls

That's why you don't listen to amd shills on Jow Forums and don't buy within the first month

Set maximum processor state to 99 from 100 and it won't boost like a retard but you'll lose peak performance with this bandaid

PBO is not really designed for day to day or long term use, it pushes your chip and your board to the limit, and keeps it there. If you want any kind of balance in terms of power or heat this not what you want to use, it's not like ordinary overclocking. If you want your ram to run at its clocks you need to set the voltage to 1.35v or more, auto isn't auto, it pretty much means default. 8-core and up parts make a whole lot of heat, and its the same way with Intel and older workstation parts. Blaming AMD because you didn't know that is childish at best and dangerous at worst. Overclocking requires knowledge, knowledge that you don't have. You need to study, because you'll never be happy with your PC otherwise.

Holy shit never seen voltages that high nigga what the fuck did you do.

just reset everything to stock and stop trying to rice the shit out of everything for 2% performance gain.

Set your fans to a longer spin up delay in BIOS so they don't annoy you and stop autistically monitoring your CPU. The out of the box settings are safe. Your CPU won't die.

Put together an AMD build
What about changing my power plan to "Balanced" and "Power Saver" and turning off PBO sounds like "Ricing" to you, you stupid pissbaby?

Man my 9900k is at 5ghz and my voltage is like 1.325v

>he bough ASUShit

Those voltages are fucked tho doesnt make sense at 4.2 ghz. Any cpu shouldnt even do this. He should RMA immediately.

So let me get this straight, you're overclocking and complaining that voltages are too high?

Stop overclocking you tard

Say what you say about shintel but their shit just WORKS ! Amd needs to work a lot on this part , same with gpus.. some people complain non stop about game crashing with 5700xt

Intel shills are doing FUD campaigns now? Color me surprised.

Attached: disgusted-homer-57b1df51a45ab.jpg (600x886, 35K)

LOL 4.2 ghz is not overclocking.

You fucked up by OCing.
Dont OC a fucking ryzen chip you morons it already does it for you with precision boost 2.0 fucking with the OC settings on your MOBO fucks everything up with PB 2.0

Ever since first generation ryzen xfr almost touches 1.5 volts when it's boosting one core on a light workload. OP probably has some software or driver on his system causing one core to boost. It's not dangerous it could run like that 24 hours a day for years.

Where the fuck are you people reading I overclocked this CPU?
PBO is a feature enabled by default, and turning it off has not changed anything.
I have not changed stock settings past anything advised by AMDs own staff to remedy this SPECIFIC voltage issue.

>offered same advice by anons and refuses to listen
You stupid fuck
PB2 is a default feature. PBO is considered an overclock.

I think OP is overreacting to those voltages.
AMD chips often run default like this. Intel and AMD voltages are different because they have different architecture and core management and boost systems

Funny you say that, because I actually OWN the CPU, PB2 isnt an option in my BIOS and PBO is on by default.
Want to clarify a little better?
I sincerely honestly hope I am, but I am getting so much conflicted info, even from AMD support, as a not very tech savvy consumer that I am not sure whats accurate.

Dude turn off PBO then idiot.

I guess it makes sense you didn't read the OP considering the stupid shit you keep posting otherwise you'd be aware I did.

PBO is specifically for multithread performance gains.
Its basically a version of PB 2.0 but a for specific workload things not gayming.

ASUS have dogshit fan control. The "spin up" time for CPU is longest 25 seconds, more like 2.5 seconds and other fans ~200 seconds, but more like 20. No hysteresis either so it will start / stop. I almost considered selling the board because of it but ended up playing with it for 30 mins to get the right temperature spots I would see and for the fans to spin. Fucking garbage.

This. Zen 1 had the exact same problems and Zen+ had problems of its own as well

AMD Fags BTFO.
That being said, I feel sorry for people who buy AMD CPU's in the first few months, they ALWAYS have problems.

This thread has effectively delayed my purchase. I will wait another 3 months and see if there are changes.i will buy intel if it is not.

IME setting the fan curve to only rise over 70 degrees is enough to make idle invariable and silent

Everywhere else I post this shit AMD fanboys who were weeks ago telling me to stop what I was doing and buy the 3700X are now telling me I'm dumb, its my fault the zen2 is like this, and should have waited (If they're not copy pasting whatever AMD R*ddit Robert posted without reading what I said)
so yeah, probably a good idea

replied to wrong post idk how to Jow Forums

yeah the zen 2 launch is a bit of a mess kinda sucks to have to rely on a computer running unfinished bios and drivers while they fix everything

Are these voltages actually dangerous? They're high sure, but aren't the CPUs designed to run at those conditions for years on end?

This is what I'm not sure of-- if this is the case, great. I'm happy. But I keep reading that this isn't safe for the processor.

I read some places that the safest idle voltage for the 3700X is 1.47 while under load it usually goes to 1.32. This is how my processor worked too for most of the day yesterday, I'm not certain why today when I put my computer under any strain it stays at 1.47 even when spreading the load across cores

I read some places that people are able to get their 3700X to idle around 1.0-1.2 and it only goes up under load. This is what I'd expect would be ideal.

The operating range of the 3000 IS 0.2-1.5 from what I'm reading, but, is 1.4V sustained all the time safe?

I really don't know

Nah I'm overclocking. I keep my fans at ~300RPM idle, ~600RPM gaming and ~900RPM on heavy tasks, 9900k @ 5Ghz, 4.9Ghz AVX.

My 3700X is sitting at 1.48V under gaming use, but also idles at 1.48V. Stays at 40-50 idle and 60c when gaming. I have a Dark Rock Pro 4.

There does seem to be an issue with voltages but it's a known 'issue', and something amd said they're looking at. They also said it's 'normal' and no problem. People with incorrectly seated coolers and high temps of 70-80 also have little to be worried about. It seems they haven't used the X method for paste.

Temp fluctuation is normal and expected because of PB2.

I am not getting 4.4ghz but 4.3, which is also a known issue.

Everything is at stock settings, seeing as there is no point in overclocking Zen2 at all.

tl:dr 1.48 is perfectly fine, your temps are a good too (73 peak is higher than my peak of 63 but my cooler is bigger)

Attached: 4 and pro.jpg (1277x619, 106K)

1.47v will kill a chip in 6-12 months

Source?

also I should add that if you are concerned, just keep it on Windows Power Save unless you're gaming, sucks for now but we are early adopters

Thank you user, this is the kind of understanding and information I needed in an answer. So the people saying 1.4 will kill a chip in a few months should just be ignored, or? Do you know what their logic is for saying that? Is it true for most CPUs but not the Zen2?

On Intel maybe, but not Zen2. It's perfectly fine, especially considering the idle temps at 1.48v (40-50 for me)

Yeah, unfortunately thats what I'm doing. Its just so annoying

Go find it yourself, lazy fuck. It's common knowledge not to overclock past 1.35V, and if you must, 1.4V max but knowingly will heavily reduce the lifespan of the chip.

So you have no source, got it.

What a fucking cop out.
Why would you say something like that and not back it up if you weren't just pulling it straight out of your ass?

Enjoy your broken CPU in a year.
Use ParkControl, you can set it to any length of time after moving the mouse to go to another power plan etc.

Hate to say it, but you consciously made the choice to pick the worse CPU manufacturer. Now you realize why Intel is the best. NEVER buy anything but intel; even if you have zero money. Intel release after release has defeated AMD just like Nvidia has.

Their is no logic to saying 1.48 will kill a cpu, it's just scare mongering.

From what I understand, too many things easily trigger PB2 and boost the frequency which requires higher voltages, and also results in temp fluctuations.

I am concerned for three things:
Not holding advertised boost clock
High idle voltage (that doesn't seem to down clock)
and to a lesser extent 'higher' idle temps

all three are widespread occurrences but not major issues. There will always be teething issues.

Attached: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero.jpg (696x861, 142K)

>current state of Jow Forums

The reason 1.5 volts for single core boost under light loads will not kill a CPU is because electromigration depends on both voltage and current. High voltage at low current is safe. High voltage with all cores maximally loaded is not safe.

>Incel seething that he still can't find a source

This is why for years I blocked out AMD products. Didn't even act like they existed. I was seriously considering building a 3700x system with all the hype around the launch. Luckily I got a 9900KF on sale and went with that. Don't have to deal with any of this nonsense

So lighter loads like gaming should be fine at 1.35-1.4V while other tasks like Handbrake etc. or even prime95 at say 1.25V won't degrade the CPU any faster?

Going by your retarded fan configuration,no wonder you are a moron.

1.4 volts even under maximum load shouldn't degrade anything in a reasonable time frame. 1.5 volts for very light workloads won't degrade either. 1.5 volts in prime95 will lose clock speed over time and eventually brick your CPU.

Thank fuck for people like you holy shit.
Why is it so hard to find information like this? Am I just not looking the right places?

Thanks. Might bump my overclock up to 1.35V then, from 1.26.

Linus Tech Tips or Reddit

All good. Currently playing Battlefield 5 and voltages are 1.38-1.4 at a consistent 54 degrees. CPU fan at 800-900rpm.

The X570 reddit has some info, but there isn't much else too official from mobo makers or amd yet, which is disappointing i know

My CPU core temps are ~6-12°C cooler than Surface temperature, which should I care about more?

this shitty concern trolling is getting old
mine stays at 33C'
software shows how it jump to 40C, 1600x did the same
that's how ryzen works, it switches p-states fast
it's 51C after 10h of gaming though

Are you me?, also 3700x with Dark Cock Bro 4
I just did a pea, i have same temps as you (ambient in room prob around 36-41c)

I can reach 84c in prime95, just wish i could control the fucking fans

fuck you asus

Also, let me disable HPET and Spread spectrum
Fuck.

Other than that, pretty nice upgrade from my 2500k

care about tdie

Funny, LTT is where I looked first
your WHAT stays at 33c on WHAT board my guy?
I am looking for people like you to find out whats different because this isnt a troll post, sorry if that rubs you the wrong way

>t not the
dude, AMD_Robert made a post on leddit, just go read it.

nigger you live on the ice-caps or have insane cooling, also you didnt list any specs you nigger

nigger.

3600x on x370 gaming 5, on a damn F41b beta bios with fucked up p states everyone on gigabyte forums complains about

>Thank you user, this is the kind of understanding and information I needed in an answer.
LOL
You sound like you just wanted some reassurance that you didn't buy a lemon

Yeah def a nice upgrade. I went from my 4770K from 6 years ago and immediately noticed a smoothness in some games. Going to keep this for another 6 years (I play at 1440p so cpu matters less).

Asus usually offers many fan headers and BIOS or desktop control (AI suite)

well, I do use D15
it's not a big deal for idle temps
the cinebench I ran put 3600x at 67C, I heard fans for the first time since getting this cooler too

You're fucking right I do

Why are you using PBO? Just turn it off.

I'd say he wants information to be informed about what is going on. Having knowledge and reasoning to make informed decisions is why nobody in 2019 bought Intel. Or 2020 for that matter.

Ah, 3600x, well there you go, 2 less cores, it adds up a tiny bit

I use a dark rock pro 4, same perf as D15, some say better some say 1% worse, i say the same.

Problem is asus auto sets all fans to 100% at 72c no matter what

72c is not "hot" for a 3700x. id rather hit 76c and have my fans at 800rpm than 69-71c with 1300-2000rpm fans

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

open wide here comes the airplane
*wrrrr*

Attached: a8WK5P1_460sa.gif (352x326, 2.05M)

Any ASRock owners? how is situation on your end?

Attached: 423536347575.jpg (953x1291, 229K)

are you the same guy whos posted this three times now
read the whole post
everybody trolling me wtf

What is that under for Intel, I can see CPU, CPU Package etc.

>it adds up a tiny bit
same TDP chips, and it doesn't matter at idle

CPU = tdie, in theory
package is nearby temp

Wow this thread has been really helpful. Wish I had overclocked my old 2600k higher now.

TDP != power used on idle

Where do you see that Asus setting for 72c? AI suite has it at 75 which can be turned off.

its in bios, Q-fan, you cant set shit over 72c there for the Crosshair 7 hero

If you weren't ready to upgrade you shouldn't have.

I have Intel but I couldn't find a fix either. I don't think it can be turned off.

turn pbo off and try a negative offset voltage of 0.050 to start. run both cinebench 15 and 20, multi core and single to check you're not losing performance.

No I didn't read the entire tech support thread
You should be using pb2 and the balanced AMD power plan

Nah I did need to upgrade, just wished I ran the 2600k at 4.8Ghz or better, not 4.4Ghz. All this new info about voltages etc.

2600k @ 4.8ghz with all patches disabled (spectre and all that crap) runs at the same Single threaded performance as the 3700x

if that gives you an idea.

Hmm, i haven't fiddled with that. I just left it default, but my 3700X hasn't hit the 70's yet. Also I have the C8H not 7, which could be different.

Possibly, but it only hits 70+ under heavy loads like.. CPU-z bench, Prime95 and so on

it does -NOT- hit it in games.

Yeah I sold it last year though, upgraded to a 9900k, well worth it.

Yeah fair enough

Yeah I'm not worried about temperature, but rather the health of the fans as they're constantly going up and down really quickly. Also the noise is shit because of turbulence etc. I've got a good fan curve now after seeing what temperatures I get while doing stuff, but a hysteresis would save so many things.

Yeah, both 2500k and 2600k were getting a bit long in the tooth

4.4 on the 3700X is equivalent to 4.8 on Intel thanks to IPC. Different frequencies but same performance.

>Let me repeat for clarity: My voltages do not "occasionally" go to 1.4V+, they SIT there CONSTANTLY, at idle, when I'm doing absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, on Intel

Attached: 5.2ghz 1.207v.jpg (1920x1080, 1.09M)