/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby

Attached: windows9.jpg (642x800, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rentry.co/ltsc_optimized
addictivetips.com/windows-tips/empty-standby-memory-fix-game-stuttering-windows-10/
windowsreport.com/you-dont-have-permission-save-this-location/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install?ocid=tia-235208000.
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-manual
sha1.rg-adguard.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is it possible to change the color of the scrollbars in Win10 (preferably without 3rd party software)?

without third party software probably no. system colors are managed by themes which must be signed. that being said, windows might expose a way to change certain colors in the theme, but i don't know about such for the scrollbars

>rentry.co/ltsc_optimized
>1.1 Place both the EVAL .iso and your language's SVF .exe into the same folder
>1.2 Run the .exe as Administrator to rebuild original Volume MVS 17763.1 .iso in your language
>Run the .exe
>as Administrator

Attached: 1544086004355.gif (360x240, 1.27M)

Can any harm be done by manually clearing RAM standby memory? I have the issue where windows isn't doing it on its own

you can unpack them with 7zip and use the method in the other guide with the svf file

no, unused RAM is wasted ram. Windows caches files, doesn't page out stuff that may not be needed, etc.. in "wasted" ram. The OS always knows better how to use RAM than random third party programs.

If the exe requires administrator privs - considering it's just a scripted copy of smv.exe - I suspect shenanigans.

Or freetards.

i don't think it actually needs admin privileges. regardless, you can open up the file in notepad++ and check the 7zsfx script

Are you saying no it won't do any harm or that my statement about how windows isn't doing it is wrong? Forgive me, pretty I'm retarded

Updated ftw paste (linked by OP), added a section on why using random internet KMS servers is probably not that great.
Also fixed HWIDgen link and 8.1 industry link (thanks user 2 threads ago for the archive.org link).
I don't count this as content update so bottom date hasn't been updated.

Then why do the instructions say "run this as administrator"?
It's kinda what I've been getting at all along. I've been using svfs (and before that, xdeltas) for years, and never needed admin for a damn thing.

about how that windows isn't doing it is wrong

Okay well either way, I'm having a unique issue where standby memory is accumulating to over 10 gigs of RAM, and it's causing certain video games to stutter quite a bit. I know it's the cause because when I clear it, the issue goes away. I just want to know if I'm causing any harm by doing so.

direct harm - no
indirect harm - loading things later could be slower
standby memory is just "I don't really need this data, but it would be great if I wouldn't need to read it from disk again next time I need it"

Any guesses as to why it's causing me problems? I called the computer repair place I got the components from and they didn't even know what standby memory was.

well, a quick search turned up this, which says its a bug only existing in some unsupported versions, ensure you're up-to-date:
addictivetips.com/windows-tips/empty-standby-memory-fix-game-stuttering-windows-10/

the reason is probably too little headroom for allocations. allocating in place of standby memory is slightly more time-expensive than actual free memory, this is why they leave some headroom of free memory. the smaller it is the more frequent freeing of standby memory is needed. not that you can do anything about this

I was positive I was up to date, I just got this of built last month. But there's one available now so I'll try that. There is a program that will clear it when standby men and free mem gets to a certain point so I can rely on that if updating doesn't fix it I guess.

How do I get Enterprise G version

I miss aero.

The public name of that SKU is "China Government", just find some link to it online

No you don't, you miss Aero Glass.

i have no idea user, i didn't make that paste. regardless, the other paste seems to have the svfs normally for ltsc too (although for a ms updated ltsc)

What is the best free alternative to Windows Defender?

How the FUCK do I make it so I can right click->save my Jow Forums cat meme pictures on the C:\ root folder in W10? Didn't have that problem in W7. I tried everything here, nothing works windowsreport.com/you-dont-have-permission-save-this-location/

Attached: 1245366879342.jpg (848x480, 42K)

why you save cat images in c:\

make a folder for them you absolute caveman

Or, maybe, I wasn't talking *literally* about cat meme pictures. Of course I have a dedicated folder for that shit. I was talking in general, for all kind of files.

I was going to tell you how, but I'm sick of "omgz windoze broke for NO REASON AT ALL m$ sux0rs" threads by microbrains like you.

After the W10UI tool creates the new
.iso, where do I find the new .iso? Did the tool replace the original with the new one?

Or if I don't see the new .iso, does that mean there was a mistake in the process? I fell asleep while the tool was running, so I didn't see the end result.

When I attempt to run the tool again, it says that the "specified image in the specified wim is already mounted for read/write access". I think I'll just install Pro since I'm too much of a brainlet to follow instructions.

Attached: 9A756C5D352E424F8C0D08AA9A88E619.gif (480x270, 392K)

i'm on windows 10 after being mostly off of windows completely since xp

what happened to "always on top" windows? is that still an option?

get me a good video editor

Attached: 66471828_118144112816569_8681266308686066532_n.jpg (1080x1349, 292K)

just get the march updated ltsc iso from the other paste

Anyone here know how to reformat a protected disc? My cousin left over a copy of How to Train your Dragon the other day and I want to put music on it. I'm on Windows 10.

Attached: a4909e594850d53a69b94be7b9eaa87761cb615122de5de4087e680966b93daf.jpg (433x454, 164K)

Premiere Pro is the only good one

Link me quality torrent uwu

Attached: 66088507_213599652940143_6781330891074617363_n.jpg (1080x1349, 257K)

Figure it out ^o^!!!!!!!!!!11@@1111

pls

what the fuck is a protected disk

Thanks!

It still exists.
Easiest example is the task manager, it has an "always visible" option in the menu.

Use a third-party window manager to enable it. I personally use Aquasnap. Windowspace is good too.

Vegas is faster

How to get Store on LTSC I want to get Ubuntu from there is there a way to get it without installing the Store ?

Did you download the Windows 10 ADK program? You can get it here. docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install?ocid=tia-235208000.

Yes

a read only disk??

How ?

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-manual
literally the first result on google

how do you generally troubleshoot on windows, apart from googling?
does ms office output anything useful to event log?

everythijg could, ms products often do

Anyone using 7 pEmbedded here? I'm having trouble understanding the SVF thing. Should I use Rufus for making the usb drive?

Just go with Windows 10 LTSC 2019. Use universal usb installer.

how is the SVF thing hard? just download smv.exe, copypaste the command from the paste, substitude the filename with yours and thats all. And yes rufus is fine

>.\smv is not recognized as an internal or external command

do it in the folder where you copied smv and the svf to dumbass
Shift+RMB anywhere thats not a file in the folder, and theres an option to `Start PowerShell here`
or just cd there

Thanks for helping a poor retard out

Attached: bonbi_tri_poloski_1.gif (216x384, 1.36M)

How can I install a specific version of win10? Something like win7 with sp1 included, but I'm looking to have an installation of win10 creators update (for example) with all the patches up to it.

Also are there any newer updates that are Jow Forums approved? I don't care about microsoft's scaremongering that my computer will explode, but also I don't want shady installers or isos from torrents.

Attached: 1551752956316.jpg (400x560, 45K)

Read the OP and click in the first link.

Sorry, not websites like that, it got bad rep of malware on it. It's the common sense, that Jow Forums loves to talk about. Also looking for a legit solution.

Blender

>rentry.co/ltsc_optimized
Thanks, now I have a virus!

if you don't read, and depend on others to spoon-feed, then you have no common sense. Anyways, the link is safe and it is what you are looking for.

is there anywhere i can get a full copy of windows XP for free?

So, there aren't any way to make the thumbails bigger on W7-8-10? Registry hack doesn't help. It's pretty big on a 1080p screen and work as intended, but on a high DPI 4K screen, even the extra large option to view images thumbnails in a folder is fucking tiny. I just can't believe it's almost 2020 and we've had high res screens for years, and MS overlooked this

wh0a that's actually pretty cool

I'm doing a new build soon and I have a business ISO which contains the enterprise editions of win 10 (en_windows_10_business_editions_version_1903_x64_dvd_37200948).
I've read the paste bin her and /sqt/ a few times but can't into verifying the hash to see if it's a legit unmolested version.
Any quick rundown m8s?
I have a mydigitallife account, the guides there are so convoluted, ok it's great don;t get me wrong.
Can;t wrap my head around it.
Took me long enough to find out enterprise edition is in the business ISO,
Through me checking if it had a multi ISO choice in a virtual machine.
I'm using LTSC and love it but need a rolling release because I'm getting a Ryzen 3700x.

Winaero tweaker is very useful, probably has an option for that.

use 7zip to get SHA1, then paste it into sha1.rg-adguard.net
thats all you need to do to verify its legit

A simple one and still my go-to for simple snipping and setting bitrate is freemake video converter.
All of these professional type editing tools are so fucking annoying, something as simple as I see the bitrate of the file is 10000, so I want to export a snipped edit at that 10000 bitrate, they have all shitty templates and bullshit that gets in the way.
I'm not adding special effects just trimming and splicing clips.

Thanks so much!
That's so easy. Been on a few wild goose chases trying to do it.
I appreciate that m8.