I don't know when it happened, but someone took $200 out my bank account via debit card charge from some online shop...

I don't know when it happened, but someone took $200 out my bank account via debit card charge from some online shop. How do I prevent this from happening again? Isn't buying online incredibly insecure?

For example, if you go to a fast food restaurant and hand them your debit card, any moron can write that information down and use it for online purchases. Why don't they require some type of verification to prevent that? How the fuck am I suppose to sanely use my debit card?

Attached: Debit-Card.jpg (1000x700, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jointoken.com/#/
jointoken.com/#/blog/token-is-the-new-standard-in-payment-security
9to5mac.com/2014/10/13/mcdonalds-apple-pay-training/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't keep your money in a transaction account, only move it there when making a purchase

Yeah I was thinking about having 2 accounts. One where all my money is deposited to, and one where I do all my purchases from.

However, wouldn't use a pre-paid card also work the same? You only add money to it when needing to make purchases. That way if it's compromised, it won't have any money on it.

Well not sure if it works like this everywhere but I have two accounts with the same bank account so transactions between them is instant where as transactions to a prepaid card take a while, so functionally a prepaid card would work the same but may not be as fast

Also - if you're American you can look into privacy.com
I'm not American so can't use it or vouch for how well it works, but it let's you create restricted burner card numbers for online purchases

This is the problem with debit cards, and why you need to be using a credit card. Pay it off in full at the end of the month and there's no interest payments. But the thing is, if someone makes a fraudulent charge, you can contest it, rather than having the money automatically deducted from your checking account.

Anyways, you need to take the issue up with your bank so they can hopefully reverse the charge and bring up law enforcement. There is a system to prevent morons from writing down your card number at restaurants and then using them for their own personal online purposes, it's called the law. When you break the law and do that shit -- and get caught -- you get sent to federal rape prison. Most people don't steal credit cards on the job because they don't want to get raped, but there are always a few morons.

jointoken.com/#/

Then you never enter your real card number online again.

I have two accounts
one for online shady shit
one for my wagecheck and shit

It might have been me user, post your card and I will see if the card number I used is the same

^This. If I ever need to give out my card number over the phone or online, I always use this app. The virtual card numbers are locked to individual stores. So now it's just the token app and using card in person. Cant wait for them to finally upgrade gas stations, so that the chip will be universal in the states.

I hear prepaid cards are popular in usa because of all the people who cant get even basic bank account(you are not one of them are?? if you are you have to go back.), but in other countries they dont exist or simply dont work most of the time.
Having a second basic account is the best bet (apart from just getting a credit card), transfer just enough money to make a purchase. Also not sure how you got scammed, because usually when buying online there is a requirement to provide billing address which isnt on the card, also they have things like verified by visa these days, so if browser/ip dont match, transaction is very likely to get cancelled

>you are not one of them are?? if you are you have to go back
Eh, I use AMEX bluebird as my main checking account because there were no fees, there were free checks (I ordered about 3,000 of them when they announced they were gonna start charging for them), and it's literally impossible to overdraft, as you need to pre-authorize your checks with a 8 or 9 digit number for each check. That said, I also have a regular checking account. I just don't use it much. Both debit cards of mine are locked in a safe.

That said, I think the best way to go (presuming you can control your spending) is to get a good cashback credit card, use the token app on it, and use bill pays for everything that won't accept credit.

Also, remember to use 2FA for literally everything you can.

>, use the token app on it,
stop shilling, thread isnt about your shitty app

you don't know when? shouldn't the statement say? do you mean you don't know which transaction was with a shady fucker or insecure merchant?

The easiest solution is to get a credit card. make sure it has no annual fee and if you pay it off every month the apr doesn't matter. It needs to be with a company that makes charge-backs easy though. So when this bullshit happens you just call up the CC company and say what happened and they reverse the charge, some companies even have an online form for chargebacks now. It can be helpful to have two credit cards (you can get two on the same account) so if you get a bad charge you can cancel the card and still have one to use while you wait for a new card to come in the mail.

Looks pretty good, but how well does it work in other countries? Does it support ebay?

Not mine. But do you know of another app that allows you to create fake numbers for both credit and debit cards?

If someone does an ACH this can be a problem. Many banks and credit unions will let your account go negative and/or charge a fee for non-sufficiently funded ACH. It's basically the same bullshit as overdraft & overdraft charges but they aren't mandated to provide an opt-out and up-front disclosure. For example, one credit union I use will charge a $25 "Returned NFA" (returned non-sufficiently funded ach) fee.

OP was talking about a debit card but I wanted to point this out because if he uses the transaction account for any ach payments and he leaves it zero, it could turn out to be a pain in the ass. It's best to never give out account info for ACH but sometimes it's the only option besides check/money order for things like utility bills.

Haven't tried it in other countries or on ebay yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work in other countries, at least. If it works on ebay, I imagine you would need a new number for each merchant. I can tell you that it allows me to use Venmo without paying a fee, despite using a credit card.

Cash bills

>I don't see why it wouldn't work in other countries
The site made it sound like it had to be supported by the US banks themselves, so if my bank doesn't support it I can't use it, or something. There might be a local version I can use if not.
Do you know how they make their money? They say the service is free, so I'm wondering if they take a small cut of your payments, or if they have some other business model, like upgraded account status or support. If not, it sounds like a good way to collect data on purchasing habits if not credit card info.

Physical silver if you want a protection against inflation and hedging from fiat policies.

>The site made it sound like it had to be supported by the US banks themselves, so if my bank doesn't support it I can't use it, or something. There might be a local version I can use if not.
I'd try it and see if it works. If it doesn't then you know.
>Do you know how they make their money? They say the service is free, so I'm wondering if they take a small cut of your payments, or if they have some other business model, like upgraded account status or support.
I'm looking for a link to prove my claim, but I remember reading that they said they took a portion of the transaction fee.

really credit cards are the simplest solution. just remember it is not free $$$. set up email and text alerts to pay your bills on time.

Put all your cash in treasure bills or long term stock and borrow maker dai against it in a airgapped ssd drive.

Seems to be US only

Attached: Screenshot_20190728-192816_Google Play Store.png (1440x2708, 612K)

European here. I have no idea how US debit cards work, because this cannot ever happen here.

Attached: DB_Ql0iXUAApEOD.jpg (664x900, 90K)

First of all, immediately dispute that transaction and cancel your debit card. Order a new one if you need it. One suspect charge is rarely the end of it if someone's got your debit card number.

Next, get yourself a few credit cards. I know this may not be what you desire, I didn't and still don't. I used a debit card for everything for years and years since I did not want to be indebted and preferred actually paying for things instead of taking out small loans like you do with a credit card. However, from a purely practical standpoint it's easier to contest a credit card transaction and they are usually more willing to help than a bank. The bank knows you're probably not going to close your account over it. With a credit card you can dispute the transaction and refuse to pay the bill - and go get another credit card or use another you already have.

Some additional advice: Don't use app app stores and don't use cards in apps on your phone - but if you do: have a dedicated card. This is why I advice you to get more than one credit card. Not for the credit, if some malware app charges your card you're fine if it was a credit card just for apps and nothing else: you can dispute and even cancel the card and nothing else is affected.

Still haven't found the article that I remember, but I don't think they are collecting a lot of data, based on what they are talking about here: jointoken.com/#/blog/token-is-the-new-standard-in-payment-security

>Token was designed and built by security experts who gained their experience in industries such as financial services, telecommunications, and military. Security is embedded in our company’s DNA. We think, eat, and sleep security. Our team has access to information on a “need to know basis”. Sensitive information is only accessible to a few key team members through encrypted channels, with 3 factors of authentication, and only from very specific locations.

Sorry to hear that. I hope they expand, or that more competitors start cropping up. I do know that some credit card companies also offer tokenization at no additional cost. CapitalOne is an example, I believe.

use cash for everything desu

Just put it on direct fucking debit for full amount and forget about it. Have alerts for any purchases so you can see what's going out.
This is assuming you're not a mouthbreathing subhuman who can't control their expenses.

>Moscow times
>western shills masquerading as russian experts publication
kek

>having to constantly withdraw money from atm
>someone steals wallet, all cash gone
>throw cash in drawer, somehow lose it
>some cash gets lost in pockets/car
>get useless quarters and pennies back from every purchase that will 100% get lost

Physical cash is messy and should be obsolete.

>this
only carry credit cards and about $100, some places won't accept credit cards. you can carry more $ however don't carry more then you would be ok with losing.

only pull out cash at places you trust like bank atms, or stores.

Most banks have a tan for online banking so you need to confirm your phone number for every online purchase.

There exist banks that don't do that already? What kind of 3rd-world shithole are they in?

This would, in effect, lose the security benefit. If you aren't paying the fuck attention to your statements and letting it all get automatically paid, there's no difference between just paying with debit. You don't get to "forget" about anything if you want security.

When I visited the US I found it so weird how some bars will actually take your card behind the counter and sometimes even keep it there until you leave the premises instead of just handing you the card reader when you're buying something.
Some upmarket, trendy yuppie bars have started doing the same here and it's Jewish as fuck. The bartenders act extremely cynical when you question that as if that was the normal thing to do and you just need to shut up and accept it.
That's why I only go to pubs... simple as

Id call the police immediatly if they done that to me

This looks pretty useful, but it doesn't help with the problem OP seems concerned with: an employee given physical access to the card, misuses it illegally.

Chargebacks can be done even after you made payment to balance. If it's a fraud charge back then any decent cc supplier will send send out a new cc as well.

Most banks, at least in Europe, don't give a fuck if you lose money from your account via debit card unless it hits the thousands mark.

>Isn't buying online incredibly insecure?
It is, but you are a part of the security scheme and you can fuck it up, especially when you're a stupid nigger. Use paper money, then when you fuck up you won't be able to blame it on someone else.

Literally anyone can open a bank account, you just need a minimum balance deposit which is usually like fifty bucks and proof of identification which are barriers to prevent scumbags deadbeats.

In my experience people complaining about that barrier for entry have some pretty fucking bad life skills because they can't commit to a minimum deposit of $50

Most don't, no. I've yet to an encounter a US bank that does this, although some credit card companies do. Even then, it's pretty sporadic.

This is just a bougie upmarket coastal yuppie thing and yes it is jewish as fuck

At least in the US, you don't typically hand employees your card. There is typically a terminal that you slid the card into so it can read your chip. Pic related.

Attached: chip reader.jpg (1050x700, 150K)

> you don't typically hand employees your card
Anytime you go through a drive-thru you have to.

1. use PayPal and only PayPal, don't give your card info directly (like those chink e-stores want you to do)
2. you never hand any employee your card, ever. you stick it into the terminal yourself, input the pin and press the OK button. better yet, you get a card with the touch RFID thingy where you just slide it across (in this case, also invest into a wallet that has protection from RFID scanners so you don't get scanned on a subway or some shit). it never once leaves your hands.

the old saying "a fool and his money are easily parted" holds true.

>if you go to a fast food restaurant and hand them your debit card
holy fuck you're a literal fucking brainelt grug retard amerishart
>How the fuck am I suppose to sanely use my debit card
by not letting someone walk away with it

Attached: 7b5.png (485x443, 22K)

what? this isn't true at all. they hand you a terminal out the little window to pay with or in some cases they have a terminal already outside where you pay before even getting the stuff you ordered.

My McDonald's and Burger King has a contactless payment thing outside their drive through windows. That said, if they don't, you always have the option to walk in. Security sometimes means a sacrifice of convenience.

Not every place takes paypal. That's why payment tokens are better.

>they hand you a terminal out the little window to pay with or in some cases they have a terminal already outside where you pay before even getting the stuff you ordered.
what the fuck, I've never been to any place that does that. I'm talking about America here

>I'm talking about America here
9to5mac.com/2014/10/13/mcdonalds-apple-pay-training/

Forgot image.

Attached: apple pay training.jpg (474x352, 24K)

just get a real bank which lets you make virtual prepaid cards and or online payment confirmations?
none of this is a problem in literally most of the world except ameriretardland

Must be in only newer places in popular cities. Not once have I seen those

>you always have the option to walk in.
Ew no. Just use prepaid card.

Haven't used my Credit Card in almost a year. This is probably a good reason to start.

"some type of verification "

>go to order online
>need to type in billing address and name on card
>need to type in card number
>need to type in card expiration date
>need to type in 3-digit number from back of card

What more do you want? Identity theft is a big business. There's nothing you can do if a company has all your info and some employee or "hacker" gets that info from them and uses it. The more places you buy things from the more exposure your info gets and the more chances it will get stolen and used.

>How the fuck am I suppose to sanely use my debit card?
Keep the money in the savings account. Only transfer out enough to cover x amount of purchases you will be doing into your checking account/account tied to the debit card. Make sure that the settings, for the accounts, are not tied to each other in a manner where if there's not enough money in the one the debit card uses it will automatically take money out of the other account to cover it.

Attached: 1455860367154.gif (269x249, 1.94M)

I'm in a town of 8k people in Kansas. Our Braums has a contactless payment processor bolted outside both drive through windows. They've had it since at least 2007, which is when I first went there.

But again, if you don't like the idea of handing someone your card, then park the car and run in.

>some bars will actually take your card
No establishment should be doing this. You should be the one with the card swiping and filling out the info in the card reader device. No exceptions. If a place wants to take your card, leave that place immediately.

No, you gave up your rights to your card by willingly giving it to them. You literally gave away some of your rights when doing that.

Not for the last 15 years where I live. No one asks for your card. If they did, I'd just drive off or pay cash. I live in the fucking boonies, 200 miles from any city with a pop over 10k. It isn't even a tourist destination, unless they want to watch retard rednecks as fuck each other or something.

very american post
1. just report a fraud and you will get a refund
2. >hand them your debit card
The fuck you talking about you retard
I've never seen in my life someone even considering taking your card

Attached: american bears.gif (300x300, 172K)

The reason why it's a bad idea to use debit instead of credit in the US is that the money is still out of your account while you wait for the refund, which will not be immediate. With credit, it's the lender's funds that are tied up, not yours.

>(like those chink e-stores want you to do)
kek, Every time I use one of those the phone number I give them starts ringing off the hook about how "your card" info has been stolen and you need to verify the transactions or whatever the scam is supposed to be. I use a prepaid "burner" phone for that shit, but never answer it unless I'm feeling snarky. And, I use a prepaid card for such transactions so there's never anything directly tied to my actual accounts.

But, damn, those chinks are fucking tenacious about that shit. The phone will ring for like 3 weeks straight with scam shit.

Attached: 1453571140277.gif (360x360, 2.65M)

Not typically, no. But there are places where it happens.

>Wallmartians only catching up to smart-id in 2019

Attached: smartid-fb-share-image[1].jpg (1200x630, 200K)

These exceptions reminds me of all the excuses to remove all restrictions on abortion. Yes, there are some extremely rare use cases where there is no place else for you to get the item you need, and you must hand over your credit/debit card to a sales man, just like there are reasons to abort in the third trimester, but those cases are very few and far between. I'd be surprised if the average person found themselves in that rare situation 2% of the time. I expect it to be closer to 0.5% of the time. The rest of the time, you have more secure options available to you. But even if you didn't, they are designing cards in a new way, to where all the important info other than your name is on the back, and they have no reason to look at the back. If you have such a card, there is literally no reason for them to ever look at the back.

Attached: quicksilver.jpg (336x190, 30K)

>Why don't they require some type of verification to prevent that
They do in first world countries.

Have you used an ATM in the recent weeks? Your card might have gotten skimmed.

Attached: maxresdefault (7).jpg (1280x720, 91K)

Use a credit card where you put €100 into it and use that instead. It doesn't matte rif someone takes the money because they will be limited by whatever you have in that card

no youtube i will never buy your fucking uber eats now stop giving me ads for it that interrupt my anime soundtracks

>his card doesn't use smartcard

Average burger day.

Attached: Satanic laugh.gif (540x304, 1.52M)

>Physical cash is messy and should be obsolete.
.t NSA

You still lose the money in the immediate term. If someone steals my credit card and hits my limit, I just contest it and I lose no money in the immediacy. Imagine if you just bought a house and now you need furniture. Someone steals your card info and now you have a big 0 in the bank. Will that money come back to you? Yes. But you still need some of that money now to buy furniture. Credit cards are so goddamn simple to game. Pay it all off before the period ends and you're making free cash back or credit for purchases you would have already made anyway. This is how I have a 790 credit score, a solid emergency fund, thousands of rewards points I can easily use towards a vacation, AND solid financial security if my cards get jacked.

Idk I've never had issues like that. All suspicious or large sums have me confirm the purchase before being credited and appearing on my balance. The one time a fraud purchase occurred and coincided with my direct debit payment date (so I payed off the fraudulent amount too) I recieved a full refund back into my bank account the same day during business hours after informing them at 4am, so you can guess how I lost my cc.
It's just not a problem for me to have to manually manage my payments, the cc here provide much better service than any of the banks kek, not an American btw.

I have a prepaid card and it's instant

Thats why you never use debit card unless you absolutely have to. Always use credit card, then pay off the credit card with debt. As crude as it may sound, credit card has more cushion/protection so this works in your favor. As well as allows you to build up credit.

this is why you dont shop with a debit card, you pull money out of an atm during off banking hours with it.

shop with a credit card, fraud disputes dont pull cash out of your checking account.

>you pull money out of an atm during off banking hours with it.
What

you know how banks are open 9 to 5?
you know how sometimes you need cash before 9, or after 5?

Your atm's aren't 24hour?

yes, but a lot of people would rather use a teller as ATM's usually charge a couple bucks to do anything.

Wtf where do you live? Do bank atm's charge you too?

Your own bank's ATM charges you to withdraw your own money that they're holding?

you need to be 18 to post here.

>he’s charged for using an ATM
>he actually deals with businesses that don’t take card payment.
Not only a Luddite but lives in a shithole as well

Kys retard. No first world country bank charges you for making cash withdrawals on a debit card.

Dude, the only atm's here that charge money are the shit found in abandoned telephone booths or by paki cornershops. Normal people use bank atm's found everywhere that don't charge a thing, even if it's not your bank.

>acting like getting charged $2 at a random ATM doesn't happen
fucking children.

Apple Pay.

>random atm
There's your problem retard, learn to read and it won't be a surprise charge.
Also don't live in a shithole.

>being this retarded to willingly use an ATM that charges
Fucking 80iq manchild moron.
They exist to scam out-of-towners, tourists and idiots like you.
>$2
HAHAHAHAHA that’s like 2.5% of your NEETbux isn’t it?

don't banks have ways to protect against this sort of theft. Isnt that what the FDIC is for.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seething manchild

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>see any sign of suspicious activity
>call bank report lost/stolen
>card gets immediately cancelled
>get a free new card from bank
wow so hard, at least for TD Bank
I'd assume the same for credit unions

This post is extremely low quality.

here online debit purchases still need to be verified through your bank account so shit like this doesn't happen