/pcbg/ - PC Building General:

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Minimum 30-60fps gaming. The stronger 3400G sells for $150. (R3K APUs OCs better than R2K)
>R5 2600 - 60fps+ gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>i7-9700K - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOL, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>(GTX 1660TI @ ~$230/Vega56 @ ~$270) - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+
>RX 5700XT - higher fps
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important for gaming
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>Don't use Speccy
>Don't trust sites which rank CPUs by arbitrary, obfuscated scores (eg userbenchmark, passmark, cpuboss)
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors + SSD Guide under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: AMD-logo.png (1526x1600, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/kN4QFt
pcpartpicker.com/product/qn7v6h/seasonic-focus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fm
pcpartpicker.com/product/pt2rxr/evga-b3-750w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-b3-0750-v1
youtube.com/watch?v=3bmQPx9EJLA
pcpartpicker.com/list/dLJcdX
tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/fbjd3b
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How much does G-sync over freesync matter?

Is it a doubled refresh rate and Freesync over G-sync worth almost £300 extra?

Attached: wat do.png (1152x648, 414K)

Not sure but that predator screen for over £500 is a rip off. you can get cheaper 4k 60hz screens than that. Freesync is essentially the same thing as g-sync these days.

I'm looking for a mobo for my 3600x. Is the AORUS B450M good for Zen2 out of the box without the BIOS update?

>3600x
buy a fucking 3600 and put it in a b450 tomahawk, it has bios flashing so you don't need to worry about having a cpu to update the bios, and get a decent cooler with the money you save

>unironically falling for the 4k meme
if you want out of the box experience get a x570
otherwise you'll need a mobo with flashback ability

hi

Attached: 1542875484390.jpg (880x640, 58K)

Unlikely. A

Why do so many of you say this shit? 4k looks much nice than 1440p on my 27" screen ffs. Trying to play 4k on modern games is taxing as fuck obviously, but 4k is amazing and easy to run on slightly older games.

also to answer your question, the aorus doesn't have flashback like the b450 tomahawk
When in doubt refer to buildzoid's vid on the gamer's nexus channel about older motherboards

>4k looks much nice than 1440p on my 27" screen ffs
Only for reading texts. Doesn't matter when you're in-game. 4k is difficult to run and 60hz isn't cutting it in 2019.
>t. upgraded from 4k60 to 3440x1440 120hz

Please rate this build so far:
pcpartpicker.com/list/kN4QFt

I'm considering switching out the SX800 with maybe a MX500 1TB (M.2 or regular) but I've heard it disables some SATA ports (if M.2) and to be honest I don't really know what that means or if it is some kind of real nuisance.

Any other storage choices you recommend?
What about the PSU? Am I doing good or fucking up?

>gsync is not inherently better
To be clear, while free-sync doesn't prevent a monitor from being good, there isn't the guarantee of quality g-sync has. In order to be listed as gsync or gsync approved you need a certain standard of response time and other requirements

>Only for reading texts. Doesn't matter when you're in-game

Yes it does. The difference is obvious.

I heard that RAM prices are dropping/will drop in price, is this true? if soo where should i buy it?

the fact it doesn't run is what i think he's referring to as a meme
if you can afford to run 4k at >60hz then you have enough money to buy a stupid expensive 4k144hz monitor anyway

4k is literally so much better in game you can turn AA off entirely and it'll still look better

Practically no hardware can run 4k 144hz though. 4k 60hz is doable. But yeah, like I said, it's great to have for general use and in terms of gaming most 5+ year old games are easy enough to run.

you don't have to be running at 144hz to benefit from a 144hz monitor, even running at 90 is way better than 60

>4k is literally so much better in game you can turn AA off entirely and it'll still look better
I actually did try that but even at 4k @ 27", AA has a noticeable effect on jaggies.
It's just a shitty myth
Then we can disagree on it then. I didn't feel the hit going from 2160p to 1440p.

4k144hz>1440p144hz>1080p144hz>power gap>4k60hz

it means when you use an m.2 sata ssd, one sata port in the motherboard is disabled
shouldn't be a problem unless you're going to fill up the sata slots
if you are, however, then consider nvme drives
for psu, it's a bit overkill if you ask me, but if you're doing it for maximum efficiency, then go for it

desu i dont like 1080p 144hz on any monitor larger than like 20 inches, it's noticably lacking in pixel density after getting used to 1440p

>it's just a shitty myth
Agree to disagree then I guess, because i find the difference in resolution far more noticable than the jaggies

What PSU would you recommend if that one's overkill? Same brand or not

Probably the fact that different games have different rendering methods. Some are more prone to jaggies than others.

i've been to my local tv shop and was looking at the screens
i really couldn't tell the difference between 1440p vs 1080p vs 4k
and could barely tell the difference between 50hz and 100hz

I've curently got a a320M motherboard with a ryzen 2700x and a gtx 1060 6gb and ddr4 2400mhz ram 2x4. What should I upgrade?

Atleast now OP openly admits he is an AMD shill so everyone who comes here knows this OP is bullshit.

do you need to upgrade?
if you can't play recent gaymes anymore then i'd suggest upgrading the gpu

pcpartpicker.com/product/qn7v6h/seasonic-focus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fm
much cheaper
650w is plenty for 2080ti, and should be able to upgrade to newer gpus down the line
but if you're really autistic and concerned about future upgrades
pcpartpicker.com/product/pt2rxr/evga-b3-750w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-b3-0750-v1
this one's bronze, but it's got 100 more watts

>3200MHz ram
shoulda gone higher desu
>PSU
get something like a hx750i from corsair
>logitech headset
get something like and m50x and a separate mic cause i've had many a headset and the mic shat itself easily every time
>m.2 nvme ssd
save your money and get more/cheaper storage, your boot and load times are not going to be bottlenecked that hard

Dump your saved money into a full sized tower and some good cooling like a nh15 or some shit

The GPU, get an RX5700 when custom models come out.

What exactly the fuck are you going to be using the PC for, cause if you're going solely gaming, the 3700x it not necessarily better than overclocking a decent intel chip

youtube.com/watch?v=3bmQPx9EJLA

Can anyone with a 5700 xt comment on this? I'm really leaning towards a 2070S because of this video. The bad drivers as well as thermal issues really worry me.

Wait for AIB's on mid august. Then if the cards are still shit, go for the 2070s.

This what I am gonna do. I already have a decent cooler (Corsair H110i) so I'm gonna use that.

Wait for AiB models. Blower style coolers always suck dick.

H110i is pretty overkill for a 3600 senpai

Which CPU and GPU should I pick for 1440p/144fps?

you fucking idiot
non-reference board designs come out in like 2-3 weeks for fuck's sake and they even talked about it in the video
they're still gonna be miles ahead of the 2070S in terms of cost efficiency so only go with the 2070S if you literally have no better use for your money.
Performance won't go up greatly, you'll just get way better noise/thermals. It's been shown already that even with good cooling the cards won't clock super high for the amount of extra power you shove in them

Not really lad all zen2 chips are toasty boys, my 3600 pushes 70c with a NH-D15

>H110i
Not sure why you'd go for the h110 iwhen it's not gonna give much benefit over something like a h100i or even beat a noctua nh-15

>if you literally have no better use for your money.
Despite the fact that the 2070S is better?

God damn retards, the 5700 have awful OC by default. AMD made it this way. Fucking hell, do some research. Literally google it.

the 2070S is better yeah, it's just a lot of money more in relation to the difference in performance. Same deal with all the nvidia cards above the 2060S, you get better performance but for more and more money for every extra frame

wait for aib
2070s is slightly better than 5700xt but come with a price premium so big that you might as well invest in a 2080 if you want more power than 5700xt

this is what i fucking said here

>wait for AIB
Okay so that fixes one issue, what about the drivers?

>first issue
>solution is wait
>second issue
>solution is wait
Maybe you should wait

Drivers will get better with time but in their current state they won't hamper your performance a great deal afaik
What games do you play or really need the framerate in

Wait?

AMD Wait™

amd drivers issue only concern a select number of older games (late 90's early 00's)
aside from that amd cards tend to age better than nvidia counterparts since their drivers tend to optimize the use of architecture
while nvidia drivers tend to gimp older GPUs overtime
also i've heard that amd does worse on cemu, but again i've seen people run BotW fine with a vega 56

to be fair, second solution doesn't require him to wait because it will retroactively get better even if he buys it now
he still needs to wait for reason 1, but the 5700xt is a better deal than the 2070S even with the driver shittery

>nvidia drivers gimp older GPUs overtime
this is not the fault of their drivers, this is just the fact that their architecture has less room for optimisation than AMDs cards in general and so can't do as well with newer games
Navi GPUs has lowered the degree to which AMD gpus will age well in order to get around the fact that it requires so much time and effort to optimise for their hardware

You clearly didn't actually watch the video. I says wait until mid August.
RTX had awful drivers on launch, too. It's normal.

> the fact that their architecture has less room for optimisation than AMDs cards in general
It's amazing how what you wrote is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what's the truth.
Especially with Navi, which is even less dependent on driver optimizations.

>while nvidia drivers tend to gimp older GPUs overtime
Nice meme
Try 399.xx vs 430.xx drivers on pascal. Older are worse

>exact opposite of the truth
>less dependent on driver optimisations
that's literally what I just said
the new architecture being less dependent on driver optimisations means there's less room for improvement over time

Just keep waiting.

AMD's motto.

Gonna be chopping the case and adding Walnut front panel today, great retrobox (running lakka x11-nvidia fork) emulating n64 high res without slipping a beat.

pcpartpicker.com/list/dLJcdX

Attached: IMG_20190727_151747_crop_35.jpg (864x864, 172K)

Just buy it Goy™

tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html

I need actual knowledge for my question

Helping a friend build a PC. We're getting him a b450 tomahawk, an r5 3600 and just need some knowledge on what's the clearance he'll get on his ram in order to mount an air cooler. For some autist reason all the AIOs are super expensive here in aus so we're leaning more in the direction of a noctua but it's hard to figure out the ram clearance, he's running some crucial ballistic elite ram. Would an NH-D15 fit or would he need to get the D15S instead to avoid the ram?

Just use the boxed cooler? If you're willing to spend extra dough on a d15, consider upgrading to 3700x and using the boxed cooler instead?

Rate
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/fbjd3b

You're fine on RAM clearance.

Unfortunately 4K is too taxing for my wallet so I will have to settle down for 27'' 1440p. $500 2070S is the most I'm willing to spend on a GPU and 4K screams for 2080TI.

Bought this PC for around $300 from someone in order to play games. Not expecting the greatest things out of this, but I want to know your opinions. Is this bad for what I paid? Should I replace anything? Thanks.

Attached: yeahh.png (976x734, 1.05M)

2080ti can't even do 4k60 ultra on MonHun World

Pascal and Turing gain more from driver optimizations than GCN. You said their architecture has less room for them.
20-50% gains from driver optimizations are typical. That's why day1 driver optimizations are so much more important for Nvidia cards than AMD ones.
Yes, you were right that Navi is even less dependant, but GCN was less so than Pascal/Turing to begin with.

Just get a Pure Rock or Hyper 212, no need for a D15 on a 3600.

Not a bad buy user. See if you can replace the GPU with something like a custom 5700 later on.

This. For the price of a high-end cooler, you can upgrade the gpu, cpu, ram, or whatever else.

the stupid thing is the nh-d15 is only like 60% of the price difference between a fucking 3600 and 3700x here
we're also kinda concerned about thermals in his case, stock cooler won't cut it so we're looking at either something like a 212 turbo or going full retard on the cooler since it'll be usable in the future and likely only need a new bracket worst case scenario

Buy a 1tb MX500 ssd to replace the spinning rust to have that sweet instant load for your games

Wait for tomahawk max. Use F14 or P14 case fans from arctic instead of the noctuas and put that money towards a 1tb ssd

That's why I think 4K gaming is not going to be realistic for a quite some time now. However, 1440p seems more doable.

Just do 1440p upscaled, especially with RIS. That's what I plan on doing once a good 4k@120 monitor is on the market.

alright gotcha. A 212 evo black should be enough, much less a nh-d15.
The nh-d15S is designed to fix most of the d15's compatibility issues fyi,

1440p today is about equal to doing 1080p 6 years ago - pretty affordable

This shit can't be right.

Attached: EVO 850.png (402x367, 35K)

wtf is that ram

Is it testing the drive's SLC/sdram cache?

DDR3 1600 cl9-10-9-28 ?
Looks ordinary to me

With the introduction of M.2, is there literally any reason to have any drive bays in your case?

No. I just ran a normal test. This was the result before. But now I'm getting ridiculous speeds on the test.

Attached: Samsung 2.png (402x367, 47K)

can't you get faster ram?

x570 btfo
Who needs pcie4.0 nvme when sata8GBps exists kek

$300 is fair.

to elaborate on pricing issues
prices for something like a 9700 (not K) or 3700x is 520 AUD. 9600K is about 380 but requires a cooler too
3600 is only 320 AUD, so upgrading is gonna cost a decent amount regardless and the 9600k ain't as good on productivity for him (e.g. streaming lol)
Noctua coolers are running around 100-120 AUD
ram is already locked in at 3600MHz and couldn't find any better without getting stupid expensive with very little gains
the jump from a 5700xt to a 2070S is also a 200 dollar gap at minimum
funnily enough the 212 evo for some autist reason costs MORE than a 212 turbo so i have no idea wtf is going on in this country, see pic related

at this point its just "do we want to spend extra on a cooler that will last for any cpu thanks to new brackets"

oh no i forgot pic related fuck

Attached: whatthefuck.jpg (997x503, 69K)

Well, heatsink technology hasn't really changed the past 3-5years tbqh,
You can check for clearance using pcpartpicker. It shows you whether there are incompatibility among your parts.

Also, nh-d15 is GOAT and the nh-d15s is the compatibility optimized variant of the d15

This is what happens when a product gets too heavily recommended and the manufacturer takes advantage.

>don't use speccy
Why?

PC-Partpicker can't do RAM clearance prediction and that's the only thing we want to know. It gives a warning that it *may* be a problem which we were wondering about anyway
stupid thing is when i built a pc like 5 years ago the 212 evo didn't exist anymore and the 212x was in stock, and now we're back to 212 evo thanks to branding

Attached: partslist warnings.jpg (1323x236, 50K)

AUS is fucking wierd. DH-15 costs 3x as much as a hyper 212 here

currently doing homework for a build maybe this xmas.

for PSUs, is a seasonic 80+titanium still considered the best?

for ssd, is samsung 970pro best nvme and 860pro best sata?

for monitors, i actually used the power search on n ewegg to narrow down some options but thought id seek opinions here.

looking for 1080p @ max 22" (for 100ppi min, POSSIBLY thinking 1440p @ max 29" again for 100ppi min)
60hz(seriously thinking about 240hz), freesync(not an nvidia fanboy lately. i aknowledge they have better top end cards but remind me too much of intel the last 5 or so years)
TN screen (for

corsair HX series is pretty much up there unless you really give a fuck about 1-2% power efficiency, reliability is the same in that they never break

pcie 4.0 will get some crazy ass nvme speeds these days and i don't think the market has sorted it out properly
it's so fast we need heat sinks for the fucking controller yet the storage itself works better under heat