Why do boomers refuse to move their stuff to the cloud?

Why do boomers refuse to move their stuff to the cloud?

Attached: AWS vs Azure.png (500x300, 58K)

the cloud is a trap fuck you

t. boomer

how is it better?

I live in fucking australia
That being said I do use drive/dropbox/etc for things like study/work/etc very often since i don't want to lug a desktop PC around

What is the cloud?

I'm a boomer and I'm starting to do this. I will work abroad soon and will have some very sensitive data on my laptop. It needs to be backed up if it gets stolen, and the cloud is an excellent solution. I use Mega.

I used to be very much against it because of privacy. However, if I lose vital research data I'm going to be pissed.

>I live in fucking australia

where?

Why do zoomers want to move their everything on someone's else computer ?

I have my own servers. Why would I pay to have someone host my stuff with all the limitations it comes with when I can just host it myself?

Fuck off, corporate shill.

Sydney...i have NBN but my suburb has gone to shit now that there's too many people on it and glorious exchange servers clearly aren't allocating enough bandwidth to handle it

this

I don't want Google to own me

well it's not like you can access data from literally anywhere without needing to carry your storage with you, not to mention it's not as if it's extremely cheap in regards to keeping multiple copies of your data. but hey I'm just a zoomer with a chinkpad and arch on my system, what do I know?

Cope. The cloud is the future
Local datacenters are dead

>cope
Yet another lost to the grips of communism.

>Local datacenters are dead
So just use a bigger company's datacenters, making them more powerful and creating one big point of failure? Sure, why not. Seems legit.

Yes boomer. This is what's happening

Sounds like propaganda but ok.

Eventually there won't be anyone left to move things to. What happens then? Will all data just live in in-transit network packages?

I don't have the internet speed for it
But I'm 19 not a boomer

Attached: 1464977333581.png (4760x4986, 638K)

Then we will consolidate all the internet into the One Machine.

The clouds are only in your brain

t. child

boomers are unironically right to not use the cloud. Cloud is just a datamining scheme, and I have no sympathy for anyone who gets their shit hacked due to having it on a cloud service. Like when the fappening happening; no sympathy for anyone who keeps their nude photos on some corporation's servers

Cloud is only good if you need flexible infinite scaling. Shit with static workloads are cheaper to host on traditional dedicated servers.

>where did my Google go?
>you mean web browser?
>no my Google
>well what browser do you use
>internet explorer
>use edge instead it's safer
>no I need ie for my Norton security vault toolbar

I keep telling him Norton is trash and to use defender instead but Boomers are stubborn

>well it's not like you can access data from literally anywhere without needing to carry your storage with you
Dumb zoomer

>Oy vey why don't you give us literally everything and accept the vendor lock in
Fuck off Microsoft.

Because it's several orders of magnitude more expensive compared to own datacenters.

>Storing my personal data and file on servers I have no access to, which are run by companies who are known to track and spy on its customers

No thanks.

A good salesman will sort them out. Just explain how it will save money and they'll switch.

Wrong

Because I don't want pedo jews jerking off to my grandkids/vacation photos. Nice try kike.

They're joking. The cloud generally is highly available and has DR plans in place with redundancy.

But you already know that, don't you Boomer?

Thanks, those hot opinions of yours convinced me in spite of actual price calculations.

>internet goes down
>can't access my files anymore
lol, no thanks zoomer.

Meter-based billing is more expensive than lugging around a USB drive.

Also a USB drive is more reliable than the cloud; until you lose it.

Attached: 1356417152265.jpg (325x305, 71K)

this thread is full of retards. cloud implementation is very rarely black and white, it's good for some things and not good for others. Only reason Azure has a sizeable market share is hybrid cloud deployments since it integrates well with your on prem wangblows shit

>you can access data from literally anywhere without needing to carry your storage with you
This is not always a good thing.

>not to mention it's not as if it's extremely cheap in regards to keeping multiple copies of your data
Have you looked at enterprise/corporate billings for cloud storage? It may be cheap for you, but once you hit a certain amount and a number of users, prices skyrocket.

What do you mean? I thought the "cloud" stuff was popular enough.

I'm looking at online backup options, but everything gets expensive when you have TBs of data.

>dumb zoomer
cope boomer

>necrobumping a thread only to say cope boomer
Sage goes in all fields, newfriend zoomer.

Other peoples servers, running other peoples tools, and making other people profits.
Boomers, real ones anyway, are old enough to remember when we all threw our hands in the air and shouted hallelujah, because we could finally stop running our rented software on rented hardware while storing our data on rented space.
The Cloud is just the rentiers' latest attempt to drag us all back into the pay a monthly fee to keep access to your data situation from the past.

>It's more reliable until you encounter the most common failure mode

Attached: 1541534739425.jpg (188x264, 12K)

wow would ya look at that

Attached: Screenshot_20190728_210213.png (774x116, 10K)

dilate

wow
what does it do

Because they understand the risks with storing all your data on a device that you don't own.

I refuse to store my files in any way that could be subject to a leak. Many cloud services have fallen victim to this, and any alleged encryption they claim to have is usually not enough.

I have my own servers to back things up to anyways. Usually old builds that aren't worth putting up for sale or trade that I convert into glorified storage mediums. Anything you need portable, put on a USB stick that can attach to a keychain or some shit. That way you aren't going to lose it as easily.

Much rather carry a storage device than to trust a bunch of nerds somewhere else not to fuck up

decentralized personal storage is the future. You are just a tranny dick sucker shill. Please go back to discord and never come back

>boomers are 65+
they never grew up with internet or bothered with it like genx did. they don't even know what the cloud is

and since genx shaped the web and has most experience with it, they're not dumbfucks like the millenial generation that glady gives up their personal info to megacorps with outspoken agenda against privacy & personal integrity

why would i want to rent someone else's computer when i can use my own stuff?

Use client side encryption you fucking privacy boomers

>Cope. The cloud is the future
>Local datacenters are dead

For many workloads "the cloud" is still way too expensive.

Privacy isn't the issue. The cloud providers want me to rent to be owned, user. That's the issue.

You rent the storage for critical data, because buying your own to store off-site in a well controlled and backed up environment is impractical
If you only have storage backed up in your house, or even just in your local area you are not secure from loss.

The cloud is not just off-site storage user.
Let's limit it to that though. You still need another backup medium, preferably another cloud provider in a different location, so now your rent is doubled. That rent is forever, as well, unless you find a company willing to commit to never disposing of deadbeats' data.

Wild how I can already fucking do that without handing all my data to some corporation which has been proven time and time again to be malicious

Is decentralized storage the future?

Attached: coins.png (765x247, 13K)

>still too much latency to do realtime cloud computing

yeah that's a lmao from me, niglet.

I'm not a boomer you fuckstick, but I do hate cloud services as a sole backup is retarded. Having say 5GB on the go for free is fantastic for little shit like documents, maybe some pictures. But people who spend like $250+ a month for a few TB of storage are stupid as fuck. You do NOT need ALL of your storage on the go.

You're the kind of guy that will be happy to have a microchip implant aren't you?

so you're saying Karen from Accounting doesn't need to see pictures of her family trip to France from 8 years ago?

They knew that's why they made it

Since we are on topic, is AWS a good cert to get. For an unemployed user? I'm working on my A+ right now and need to know what to do next for jobs.

Attached: Cert-Roadmap-v10.2.e6794a76d8f03b3840e69dddcde11d1749903906.png (1260x900, 94K)

The yearly computer security training all employees are forced to go through now includes a section specifically warning against using cloud services along with a correct scare line about it being someone else's computer to scare boomers. Thank fucking god.

Me personally, I use dropbox but I make sure all my shit is encrypted before I upload it.

>Using American shared hosting in the age of Meltdown and Spectre
niggawut.jpg

It looks like a prime checker that doesn't use iteration.

I'm not going to strain my eyes anymore to read it though

backup to NSA no thank you

>Using the default port
stahp!

What happens if someone were to destroy their hard drive on your so called
>decentralised storage
Will this decentralised storage have replication?

Do you understand how sans work?

even if he changed the port you can still do a scan on the IP for open ports

Bots don't work like that.

I believe Sia keeps three decentralized copies.

>Bots don't work like that.
bots? im sure you mean scripts and yes they do. it's called port scanning

changing your web traffic to port 69 doesn't make a difference dumbfriend, set port scanner to all

Go read a firewall log and tell me what you see.

>well it's not like you can access data from literally anywhere without needing to carry your storage with you
I have a NAS at home and a site to site VPN

>implying chingchong cares about port scanning when he can just hit 22 on every IP address in existence with some common passwords

Use fail2ban and stop doing placebo shit like changing ports around.

And how often do these bots scan for all ports on every single address?

Security is about layers. Simple change, big difference.

What do you have to hide?

None of your business.

It's still cheaper than trying to implement that redundancy yourself.

i bet you're the user with the 34TB backup of SadPanda

fail2ban doesn't help anymore, the chinese use botnets so that each attempt comes from a new IP.

Not to mention fail2ban makes it really easy for someone else to DoS you so you can't login.

>What do you have to hide?
I don't know, so I hide everything, just in case.

You're an idiot if you think that following best practices makes one a pedo. Besides, I'm running ovpn server with 2fa instead of ssh.

>It's still cheaper than trying to implement that redundancy yourself.
Wrong. Tearing down the existing infrastructure for backups, which has been in place for 20+ years, only to move to the cloud and pay 5x more is the expensive option.

Not to mention that for many industries, storing on Someone Else's Server[tm] is simply not possible, see defence contractors or medical services.

Who tf uses 2fa on a server?

Nigger!
I use Dropbox paid (2 TB). First, I encrypt the files on my HD & then I upload with Goodsync Explorer. Werks even with XP!

t. Est. 1963.

I have my own servers which cost me about 1/100th of what buying remote time would cost me for the time that i've had it, i also have direct access to them. the only thing use remote for is encrypted backups but that's just storage

read the post again and contemplate what you read for five minutes, dumbdumb.

when you say servers. out of curiosity, rack or converted some old pc's?

I uploaded my hentai to "the cloud" just because, and it got fucking deleted.
Fuck you.

AWS really does well because if you want to use Azure you basically need to adopt the Azure dev stack to really utilize it properly where AWS is much more agnostic with that stuff. My company is moving to AWS and the infrastructure is so simple compare to the hosted DCs we have.