1 bad sector? NOOOO YOUR DRIVE IS FAILING BUY A NEW ONE IMMEDIATELY!

>1 bad sector? NOOOO YOUR DRIVE IS FAILING BUY A NEW ONE IMMEDIATELY!
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN ITS WORKED 10 YEARS WITH BAD SECTORS? IT COULD DIE AT ANY MOMENT!!!!!! MAKE BACKUPS IMMEDIATELY!!!!
>BUY A NEW DRIVE FROM SHEKELBERGATE!!!

Attached: 1541798878938.png (199x253, 41K)

If you have data you care about you need back ups. If you dont care then dont bother backing up. Its up to you. Theres a chance any drive could fail at any time.

seems like a consumerist redditor trick to me, I've had the same drive for over a decade
Are they just shit now or something?

Not really, and I wouldn't be so quick to call it consumerist. It's just a general "better safe than sorry" mentality. I'll always feel better about having backups than I would without just because of how predictable life can be.

are you okay?

Attached: 1536900830840.jpg (450x640, 31K)

Can't wait for your post crying about losing all your cp.

>t. redditor who fell for the shills and bought a new drive as soon as he saw a bad sector

How much of a cheap ass do you have to be not to have backups anyway? A decent NAS is cheap as fuck nowadays.

>bad sector

It depends

If it's a drive filled with something I can redownload from the internet (such as Steam & Origin games or movies), I don't give a fuck.

Attached: 340x_oldcomputeradcosby.jpg (340x365, 57K)

ZFS with mirrored disks does not have this problem

do you use ZFS for desktop use? what's it like?

>heh, stop being such a chepass, goy, buy consumer goods
shoo shoo, seagate/WD marketer

You can repair bad sectors most of the time. If you can't, your drive will most likely work but your OS will start to have weird indexing and corruption issues.

Believe me I've worked in IT for 5 years now and yes SSDs are getting worse, despite what marketing says, but they're a fuckton better than your 5200 7 year old hard drive you leave out in the fucking cold and heat.

Shit bait. Go away OP.

speaking of backups, how do you guys back up your stuff?

I don't

Attached: 1553032269806.png (1068x601, 299K)

Used to use unRaid, but now I just do it manually.

The drive isn't going to tell you when it starts corrupting the data stored on it.

ZFS Raid Z2 (or mirror) + Replication (or Rsync) + UPS = Data is bulletproof as you can get barring a house fire.

Actually cheap to implement to. Depending on data your biggest expense will be drives.

>MAKE BACKUPS IMMEDIATELY!!!!
anytime you think about your data you should back it up.

>t. poorfag

Important stuff is kept on my desktop I backup once in a while with rsync (i have a quick alias that I run whenever I feel like it). Backups are kept on my file server where they are not shared. My file server also contains my media library, but it is not a huge deal if I lose that. Some rare animes maybe, but I'll survive. I do plan on improving the situation a bit, but that'll be for later when I'm replacing my current drives with new ones. I don't think my data is important enough for offsite backups or anything like that.

yes! Good consumerist piggy! Dab on those poorfags and buy more drives!

I do Wonder when OP will buy a new drive

>wojack
>consumerist
God you sound annoying

literally fuck you

Attached: err2.png (1014x886, 425K)

the cloud

Shut your goddamn mouth OP. I've had enough drives fail on me. The last bastions of the free and open internet are under attack. if you're not hoarding as much data as possible. you're going to be sorry. Those who have the tools and the foresight will have the power when shit hits the fan, and it comes time to rebuild. Shit like Panda blowing the fuck up is a mere symptom of what's to come.

Attached: USA.jpg (600x450, 31K)

Have a 4TB Barracuda in a rack where I store my shit, but my main drives are a 250GB Samsung NVMe and a 1TB Crucial SATA SSD.

> tfw both Seagate drives I had failed on me
Can confirm last part of post, Seagate is SHIT

this post was made by HITACHI GANG

I backup my home folder via grsync and then use fslint to try and merge any files with the same hashes. Don't know if the latter works, though.