Is it true that Mac OS is basically just a pretty Linux?

Is it true that Mac OS is basically just a pretty Linux?

Attached: mac.jpg (700x438, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VdRSYogDygs
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_communication
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Outdated Gnu packages
No package manager
Not X11 compatible
Loads of Proprietary software
Extremely aggressive EULA
Hardware bound OS
Takes open source protocols, forks them and makes them incompatible with the original protocol (Caldav, OD)
Lacks lots of programs like SSHkey exchange and Wget.

Its like Linux retarded cousin with rich parents and connections.

>Outdated Gnu packages
You can update them manually, but like all BSDs macOS does not support GPLv3.
>No package manager
It has plenty. Two of them are good.
>Not X11 compatible
Yes it is.
>Loads of Proprietary software
So what?
>Extremely aggressive EULA
Not as aggressive as GPLv3
>Hardware bound OS
Nope.
>Takes open source protocols, forks them and makes them incompatible with the original protocol (Caldav, OD)
Welcome to free software.
>Lacks lots of programs like SSHkey exchange and Wget.
Can easily be installed. You don't judge an OS only by what is installed by default.

I think you're just some dumb kid who only knows about GNU and Linux, rather than better Unix and Unix-like operating systems.

macOS has software

Nah they wish.

OSX literally has special hardware it needs because of that it can't function anywhere other then macs by default.

And on the other end of the spectre there's linux that will function on anything...even a toaster.

It is hardware bound though there's even a custom chip to handle most instructions that are usually done on CPU making it impossible to run under regular x86.

Attached: mpv-shot0004.jpg (1920x1080, 190K)

>It is hardware bound though there's even a custom chip to handle most instructions that are usually done on CPU making it impossible to run under regular x86.
No, that is silly. Which chip do you think does this?

getting a mac and not putting archloonix on it

Attached: 1563253341570.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

>Free software anything license is aggreisve
Do you even listen to yourself? Hell, it's not even forbidden, it's rather encouraged to profit from such software if possible.
>Hardware bound OS
>Nope.
Okay, so, why do you have to jump through hoops, hacks and God knows what else to download a Mac installation first of all?
And I'm also sure no one with a Hackintosh has ever catered hardware to the OS, no, that never happens.
>Takes open source protocols, forks them and makes them incompatible with the original protocol (Caldav, OD)
>Welcome to free software.
But isn't free software, package managers, etc. another benefit of your MacOS?

> better Unix and Unix-like operation systems
You are not talking about macOS, are you?

mactards are invariably btfo without even realizing it

>Do you even listen to yourself?
Do you even know anything about GPLv3?
>Okay, so, why do you have to jump through hoops, hacks and God knows what else to download a Mac installation first of all?
You can write a GUI and software for Darwin if you don't want to "jump through hoops". Darwin is open source.
>But isn't free software, package managers, etc. another benefit of your MacOS?
All software is beneficial. The only reason most free software works with macOS is because Linux is a Unix clone and macOS is Unix. Package managers aren't exclusive to free software.
>You are not talking about macOS, are you?
macOS is indeed better than Linux.

>Do you even know anything about GPLv3?
Yes. You're in no way forced to license your software under GPL or GPLv3. EULAs are different.
>You can write a GUI and software for Darwin if you don't want to "jump through hoops". Darwin is open source.
Yeeeaaaahhhhh, totally straightforward and doable if you don't have a Mac machine already.
youtu.be/VdRSYogDygs
Also, good thing you skipped that part about needing to cater hardware for a Hackintosh project. That's another benefit of the great ecosystem I guess.

>Yes. You're in no way forced to license your software under GPL or GPLv3. EULAs are different.
Uh, yes you are. You're missing the whole point of "copyleft".
>Also, good thing you skipped that part about needing to cater hardware for a Hackintosh project. That's another benefit of the great ecosystem I guess.
As I said, you don't have to use Aqua. Write your own GUI for Darwin if it matters so much to you.

Attached: 1563976986692.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

It's called the t1 and t2 chip, it deals from everything to encryption and the SMC chip.

Attached: mpv-shot0015.jpg (1920x1080, 353K)

*To boot and sleep instructions.

So you think that a chip that has been around for only a couple of years runs "most instructions" of macOS when it is present only in a fraction of the machines capable of officially running macOS?

Ah I see you can't read my dude, a common affair with those that use macs.

Attached: Sido Chesto.jpg (1920x1080, 356K)

This is a conversation about macOS, you said
>there's even a custom chip to handle most instructions that are usually done on CPU making it impossible to run under regular x86.
This is totally false if you are referring to T1 and T2.

No, it's not Linux at all, it's Darwin, and it's not pretty either.

No, just stolen (thanks to stupid BSB license) BSB.

Stolen? BSB? What are you on about?

macos is the perfect os for people who just want to use their computer and not think of the under-the-hood workings

>people who just want to use their computer and not think of the under-the-hood workings
Such people should not be allowed to use internet-capable electronic devices...

Such people are the reason why home PCs are even a thing. Your elitism doesn't make you interesting or talented btw

Wrong.

Based

>Linux
MacOS literally uses the BSD kernel

Shh it's a unique BSD powered on XNU.

>how dare people have the audacity to not know how to tear down an engine and still drive a car
This is you

I don't see anything wrong with this statement.
You ought to know how to repair your own damn car.
Nah, let's just pay other people to know everything for us, that'll work out great for society as a whole...

BSD. Please go back.

Coping much?
Sure you can get it to work in the same way you can hammer screws but why would you?
Inb4, I don't care about Adobe

According to the EULA it is in Fact hardware bound. All hackintosh are a copyright violation since you can't buy MacOS alone anymore. Apple branded hardware ONLY.
Tell me about a relevant Unix cert OS then.

Attached: macUser.jpg (500x756, 114K)

OSX/MacOS is just a fancy reskin of BSD with some under-the-hood tweaks here and there.

IToddlers are literally paying thousands of dollars for an OS they could get for free and with many more options

No, it actually has software.

>desktop icons take longer than 3 seconds to load on 2000$ machine
MACTARDS BTFO COPE COPE COPE

Attached: 1560752292883.gif (500x491, 376K)

It's nothing like Linux.

>OSX literally has special hardware it needs because of that it can't function anywhere other then macs by default.
Then how am I able to run it on a $200 shitbox?

It uses XNU as the kernel. Other than that it's using FreeBSD userland components.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 3.59.06 PM.png (1600x1200, 2.72M)

>Then how am I able to run it on a $200 shitbox?
do you know how hard it was to develop hackentosh? and now it looks like the whole hackentosh project is going to die because of the new t2 chips

>It's nothing like Linux.
True, it's UNIX.

pajeetOS will never be unix iJeet

Attached: 1536563170260.jpg (670x505, 79K)

>Darwin
>based on BSD UNIX
Seems pretty UNIX to me.

And WINE is an emulator.

>BSD UNIX
Nice oxymoron iJeet.

Attached: 1553127986722.jpg (542x417, 115K)

Reminder that Linux is the present and the future, Eunuchs is deprecated trash for manchildren and faggots.

Attached: 1551343368583.png (800x480, 26K)

The OS X kernel is based in the Carnegie Mellon University Mach OS, which was itself derived from Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) UNIX

Doesn't matter if someone feel as if it's not UNIX, it's UNIX, deal with it.

see Even Apple disagrees with you iJeet.

and are we supposed to guess what your shitty graph represents?

And yet the wifi always works. Really makes you think

>let's just pay other people to know everything for us
Okay, go ahead and build your own car and computer then. Also re-building an engine is a totally different thing than replacing an alternator. And its not even economically viable to do engine builds yourself. For the time and tools you'd have to invest in to do it, and as infrequently as engines need to be rebuilt, it's cheaper to pay a mechanic to do it.
Kys self righteous faggot.

>Apple doesn't know what their OS is based on.
KEK BTFO

>You can update them manually
Wow so polished, I get to unpack a .tar.gz.
>It has plenty. Two of them are good.
Can't update your entire system.
>Not as aggressive as GPLv3
Proprietary.
>Nope.
Yes.
>Can easily be installed.
Again wow, I get to unpack a .tar.gz.

Report advertisement threads.

>the macOS kernel is made up of duck-taping 3 kernels together
Yes, we know Apple can't make low-level tools, what's your point?
>oh but it's UNIX
And?

It's wrong. The kernel is totally different and it uses its own technologies instead of broken Linux shit like X11, Alsa/Pulseaudio, GTK and co.

Both have a common inspiration in UNIX, with macOS being a certified UNIX, but otherwise, they are as just as distinct as Linux distros are from Windows.

>X11

i thought OSX does have X11

no

MacOs has quartz which is 10 times better than x11 and wayland
MacOs doesn't have systemd. (Which has become the standard)
MacOs has a better kernel, the XNU
MacOs has better first party software

So MacOs is a BETTER and PRETTIER also Gnu/Linux

The only distro I've struggled with setting up wifi on was ubuntu and all that took was downloading the drivers for the adapter

>do you know how hard it was to develop hackentosh?
It's just a custom bootloader and some device drivers. Not that hard. The first hackintoshes were made using the OS X Tiger developer disc that could be installed on a PC.

>and now it looks like the whole hackentosh project is going to die because of the new t2 chips
It'll be years before all the T2-less Macs are phased out, and even then it'll probably be as simple as using a patched kernel to get around that. If not I'll just buy a Mac Mini or something. I don't really care, since Apple seems to be moving towards modularity in some of their products again.

No, it's not SysV based. It's Unix-like and POSIX compliant but it's not Unix. It's based on BSD and a custom kernel.

>NTFS
>basic functionality
LMAO. It's funny, because Wangblows only supports two filesystems, while macOS supports all of them.

By the time non-T2 Macs are phased out, Apple will be using ARM, maybe even something truly custom.

>It's Unix-like and POSIX compliant but it's not Unix.
No, it is Unix. It is certified by the Open Group.

You know you’re reaching when you list “has to install Microsoft office”. Learn to use latex underage faggot.

>MacOs has quartz which is 10 times better than x11 and wayland
List the ways in which it is better than both.

>Literally only one machine factory-compatible every year
If you want to compare, you better compare with machines that come with linux from the factory.

Graphics driver doesn't crash every 2 days on macOS.

except it doesn't

Attached: apple_unix_ad.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

>in a copyright sense
Do you even read your own bait picture?

Macs won't survive another architecture switch. Apple would sooner kill their desktop/laptop lines and move completely to iPads than make an ARM Mac.

By that logic, Linux is also Unix since there are POSIX certified Linux distros. Except Linux isn't Unix, and neither is macOS.

>Not as aggressive as GPLv3
I don't think GPLv3 is a EULA

Trip = underage redditor

you're wrong, I'm right

Attached: file.png (800x800, 168K)

Not really?

They are already trying to phase out macbooks in favour of iPads, but if shit sells then they'll keep making them.

Switching to ARM and cutting out intel from the profits for everything but the Mac Pros makes sense. They are already porting the app store to MacOS so they won't be getting rid of that anytime soon.

>Switching to ARM and cutting out intel from the profits for everything but the Mac Pros makes sense
Not really. You would just have more fragmentation between product lines. iOS on ARM, macOS on ARM, and macOS on x86-64. It won't go over as smooth as the PowerPC switch either if they keep Intel Macs of any kind in the equation. They would also be taking away the ability to use Boot Camp to dual boot with Windows. Or you'd get Windows on ARM which is utterly useless and has no software.

So really, Apple is stuck with Intel for the foreseeable future.

If you need to update some stupid gnu program, you don’t mind unziping shit.

Also, hackintoshes.

Attached: 52325B7F-E049-424E-B7EC-F4EA2072D949.jpg (2048x1536, 979K)

What laptop is this? How compatible with macOS is it? I'm looking for a new one.

>By that logic, Linux is also Unix since there are POSIX certified Linux distros
How would that make all versions of Linux, which is a kernel, Unix? That would only make those certain distros Unix.

Apple doesn't really care about windows or making it runnable. They always go for the integrated locked down approach. If anything moving MacOS to ARM will help kill off hackintoshes and keep their shit secure and under their control and no one elses

No unix > linux

Achkshully Linux is the retarded freeloading cousin of BSD. MacOS would be like BSDs grandchild that works and dresses nice. Nice try though smelly.

if it really wasn't that hard, hackentosh wouldn't be a broken steaming pile of shit all the time

t. iJeet

>copyleft
I mean, what's the problem? Open source is both good and bad and you care and don't care about it? I don't get it.
Not sure why you quoted .

Copyleft isn't an open source thing, it's a free software thing. It is shit.

>ancient OpenGL
>now deprecated
>vulkan official cucked by metal

Yeah... Just like linux alrighty!

Alright, so when something benefits your MacOS it's good, otherwise it's shit. Got it, don't bother replying.

You're a retard.

It's common knowledge that MacOS cannot write to NTFS filesystems. Who do you think you're fooling?

Sure.
When Economy sends you a XLS file for you to fill in with info.
Or your project plan i written in word.
And you have to spend payed time converting it to latex try to stay employed!

macOS can write to NTFS just fine. Use FUSE.

what year do you think it is right now?

This.

LaTex is only used in science/academic circles.
The rest of the business world uses MS Office.

Not quite true. At least if you're in tech comm, many places use lightweight markup such as Markdown or AsciiDoc, or XML such as DocBook, DITA, or S1000D (typically with some sort of WYSIWYM editor like Oxygen, Arbortext, or structured Framemaker).

I've seen markdown used for posts, but pretty much everywhere I've been uses MS Word for reports, Excel for spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and maybe PDFs for fillible forms.
Is "tech comm" silicon valley type companies? I do IT-esque work, but I've always worked for "big business" type of companies.

Tech comm is basically a more general term for technical writing:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_communication
For example, I work in aviation managing documentation for operations and maintenance, and we use S1000D.

No, it's a like a shitty BSD.

So you've just proven that as far as filesystem support goes, it doesn't "just work."

Everything reached 100% damn 2019 is wild

What are you even on about? I just proved you wrong, so fuck off.

Linux was built ground up from scratch, and MacOS was just BSD remixed, and sold.

Attached: this.png (221x322, 119K)

Ok retard