What are your tech regrets?

What are your tech regrets?

>Spending $160 on a 20MB flash drive when they first came out
>Rebuying all my favorite tv shows and films on DVD when I already owned the VHS
>Falling for the 16GB DDR3 meme
>Buying an external SSD

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1200x801, 146K)

Basically you are a moron

How is that a meme? I have 40GB of DDR3 in my workstation. It was cheap.

>eos 550d
spent about 700€ for it
>acer chromebook r13
spent about 500€ for it (i know in murica they costs a lot less). i'm trying to sell it but no one wants it

>buying an MSI motherboard
>buying some high quality mic that all youtubers were shilling which turned out to be shit
>buying shit tonnes of components to build an 8 bit CPU before understanding what the fuck i was doing

>buying some high quality mic that all youtubers were shilling which turned out to be shit
This, my Blue Yeti was overpriced and oversized shit and picked up too much background noise

Blue Yeti was the affordable casual option. Keywords in there.

lol, you guessed it even from my vague description. It truly was terrible.

It's not a meme if you need that much memory. I've maxed out my laptop when I started running out of memory at work, and I don't regret spending money on the upgrade.
If you were just playing games on your computer, and then upgraded to a DDR4 box when that came out, it could be stupid depending on what exactly you were doing.

F for the guys that bought anything HD DVD

Buying a chinese laptop i never thought that a laptop could be that bad , the charger fucking died in the first hours and i can't replace it because the entrance it's weird

Which one? Don't tell me Xiaomi because I ordered one the other day.

>spent almost 400€ on Xperia Z3 Compact four years ago because my previous Sony-Ericsson phone was fantastic, I thought it would double as a mobile music player with its microSD slot and I thought it would double as a digital camera
>camera isn't that great
>never used it for listening to music
>laggy when browsing the web
>tiny touchscreen interface is fucking awful to use compared to a desktop computer
>touchscreen started to malfunction after two years and has made the phone nearly unuseable by now
Just about ready to buy a new phone at this point, only gonna use it as a fucking phone and messaging device this time, not gonna be willing to spend more than 150€. Expensive phones are a waste of fucking money.

>buying a laptop with a 1050 ti thinking it would be enough for video editing
It works, but it's so sluggish. I'm thinking of buying an egpu for it as the gpu is the only thing holding it back.

>wiring house for 10base2
>buying ipaq instead of treo

Buying a 64gb flash drive for 20 euros. It gets hot as fuck.

>the fucking 7700k
>An mATX case, worst airflow ever and annoying as fuck to build in (I still believe the format is better than ATX and mini-ITX)
>XPS 13, WiFi card is garbage and it's soldered so I can't replace it. 4K display drains the battery like there's no tomorrow. Also wasted my day reinstalling Windows because the thing came with literal AIDS installed. Kind of disappointed overall.
>A filco mechanical keyboard. The whole mechanical craze was just starting again and I paid way too much for it.

> i5 Skylake
> i7 Kaby Lake

Buying Nintendo consoles and never using them.

I'm not sure you know what you're doing. Video editing is mostly CPU. Adobe software also likes fewer cores with higher frequency. Also, don't tell me you edit x264 files directly in your timeline, because that's always gonna be sluggish. Learn about proxy editing and use fucking Cineform. That's what many Pros use during editing (like people at Linus Media Group). When you're done editing with your Cineform files, replace them with the original files and render.

I edit 4K with a 2008 CPU (i7 920) with this strategy and it's a breeze. I don't think hardware is your problem. You probably just lack the operational knowledge for a snappy and productive workflow.

Just invest more in learning and less in producing for now.

Attached: 1495524937378.jpg (600x535, 108K)

This. I regret buying a switch when my psp is more practical and has better games.

buying an iphone xr

>Buying a ryzen CPU
might have been the biggest mistake of my life

he's a retarded poorfag. and i mean REALLY poor

Bought new t460 2-3 years ago. Paid ~1150 Regret it to this day

Would have killed myself long time ago.

Motherboards are the only thing MSI is good at making though, and everyone knew Blue Yeti was marketed by paid shills even back like a decade ago.

Buying a mac in the 90s

Building an x1900 Crossfire system that never worked satisfactorily at god damn all.

Buying my T430 without properly questioning the seller. Don't get me wrong, I love it but it has
>banshee scream Toshiba fan
>the shroud was broken in some parts
All fixable, but I'm still disappointed, usually I'm more careful with shit like this.

Anything ASUS. Jezus what a fucking meme brand. All of their stuff has massive defects.

Attached: 1420578476449.jpg (200x200, 4K)

lenovo thinkpad

Dude the xiaomi laptops use usb-c.

Buying a oneplus 7 pro.
Fuck the OnePlus shills aren't even around anymore on spg, cunts could have at least stayed, now I feel used like some dumb whore.

This. I've never done so many RMA's, and their laptops are dog shit too. Even cheap HP's stopped soldering the fucking dc jack onto the board and made them an easily replaceable internal cable over a decade ago

I paid $130 for a 32MB flash drive when they first arrived.
Cost aside, it transformed my work system. No more floppies.
Paying $800 for a 100Meg SCSI drive, however...

Paid 65$ CAD for 64GB DDR2 ECC Buffered

yeah never buy acer or asus laptops. They skim out on everything. The design, the build quality the parts. You're basically asking to throw it away in a year, when something breaks or malfunctions.

at least with lenovo and hp you get some built quality because businesses and schools buy them, with Dell you know you're getting putrid shit.

the bad thing is all laptops are getting soo slim and lenowo is skimping out on the good thinkpad features cuz of people wanting macbooklike devices, so soldered ram, non replacable batteries.

Replacing my 16:10 monitor with a 16:9 one.

Attached: 1378666785692.jpg (396x691, 58K)

>bought the first Asus EEEpcs that came out years ago
>got an axon 7
>got a synology NAS instead of a QNAP
>got 3tb for it instead of waiting and getting bigger drives

I'm still using my twin PA248 monitors and lamenting how they'll never make a good 16:10 high refresh rate with nice colors and shit

miniaturization of technology isn't an apple exclusive thing though.

its not apple thats the problem, its the people

and yes it isnt thats my issue

I have an old Asus EEE book from 2009 that still works, though the HW is garbage now. I also have been using Asus boards in my desktop for a decade without any issues. However, I might look into getting a Gigabyte x570 board because Asus has been slow as molasses with BIOS updates. What really is the best board to have nowadays?

Attached: IMG_0348.jpg (750x796, 110K)

>Be me in 2013
>This new product bitcoin sounds promising
>Cheap self
>decide not to do it
>mfw

Giggidybyte is worse sadly.

I regret spending $2000 on my desktop setup. I play games for like 2 hours every 2 weeks now its a complete waste. I need a new laptop and I wish I had just saved the money

I spent $400 and only use it for 1-2 hrs a week. It's fast af tho.

2200g and 16gb DDR4 ram.

I might sell the tower and keep the rest to plug a laptoo into at home. sucks though since PCs lose like 50% of their value immediately second hand

Boomer fag on suicide watch

>be me
>several winters ago
>bought a gaming laptop (MSI) with money I got from working summer job at local brewery
>2 weeks later
>surprised! user we appreciate your work here and we wanted to thank you. your dad told us how you wanted a gaming computer so we bought one for you
>it's basically a higher end MSI

I appreciate the thought but damn I should've just waited until my last day of work. I ended up with 2 gaming laptop and no money

>buying Seagate drives, 4 out of 5 drives died during warranty
>falling for the chinkshit meme, bought N64 and Sega Genesis gamepads that both broke in less than four days
>bought an SSD
Still I feel like I've made it through life somewhat unscathed.

What? Your coworkers bought you a gaming laptop? Sounds fake but okay.
Assuming this is legit, you could've just sold one on Craigslist or whatever to get at least some money back.

Nah I gave it to my brother

My XPS 13 is excellent. I bought it used and replaced the battery, changed the screen resolution to 1440p and installed Kubuntu. I get 10-11 hours out of it, I'm very happy. No issues with the wireless either

This. Have 32GB for my 4790k and it is great.

Asus does good routers tho.

VHS quality sucks though.

There are many good laptops for basic work use within the 700-1100 range. Just wait until you can afford that.

Buying a mac mini in 2014.

>bought a 2700x when i'm clearly the 2600 audience (gaymen)
>bought a cheap x470 instead of a good b450
>continue to use 4x4gb ram in it even though it has to powercycle 5 times on boot
>bought a blower-style 5700xt because i couldn't wait and told myself i would watercool it anyway
Now, between the 1rst card being doa and driver issues i really should have just waited for custom models.
>xbox 360 lays in a drawer fully disassembled because i wanted to test out my ifixit™ driver set
>Continue buying shitty gaymen headsets

> buying tv shows

fucking idiot

> 16GB DDR3

based

I remember back when iPods became a thing, if you went online people would say, hey, don't buy an iPod, get this other, much cheaper and higher capacity mp3 player instead. And so I got one of those and it was really large, heavy and clunky and all my friends made fun of me. And then the screen broke. That is honestly the only time I regretted a tech purchase, but it's mostly cos I endlessly deliberate before getting bored and deciding that what I have is ok.

SSDs are completely based though. Maybe you got chinkshit

The performance difference, be it noticeable, did not feel like sufficient value.
>some editors open in half the time (14s -> 6s)
>games load twice as fast
>os boots up twice as fast
60 seconds saved per day for the price of $300.

I bought a Sony memewatch 2 for £120. Sony dropped support soon after and it practically does nothing.
>Never falling for dumb tech memes ever again.

Attached: 61-Zq9H4zXL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 11K)

This. Bought an acer laptop 8 years ago which is basically unusuable today because everything is broken.
My 10 year old lenovo laptop works still fine to this day.

I hate you

You forgot that everything is snappy and there isn't a hdd bottleneck for most things anymore. Stop coping about your chink shit

Man don't remind me of filco. I paid around 200€ in 2011 for a simple filco tkl keyboard yellow edition. Even had to import it from South Korea.

Every GPU I ever bought, except the 3dfx voodoo 2.

>400€
>expensive
It's iverpriced garbage, bjt 400€ for a phone is not expensive. I paid $850 for my iPhone 6S 4 years ago and it's still fantastic.

>using Adobe software that isn't Photoshop
You only have yourself to blame.

buying a clawgrip mouse
and
not having the money to invest in amd when it was $1.70 a stock
being poor blows

buying an iphone 6 in 2019, just want it to break so i have an excuse to go back to android

What kind of shithole wouldn't let you return the laptop after just two weeks?

I'm posting from my Xiaomi chinkbook pro and I can tell you it's fucking glorious. Xiaomi can put together a fucking good laptop, it's great you have nothing to worry about.
I know 2 other people who got one and we had a small issue with one bluescreening occasionally, but turns out the SSD had gotten a touch loose, popped off the back, reseated it and it's golden.
I love it so much.
As for /tech/ regrets, not much really tbqh, all the times I got chink'd and when I bought a shitty riser card and got the wrong PCI slot twice, then the fucking right one was a piece of shit too.

Falling for the RGB meme

What's wrong with it? I'm still using a oneplus 3 and it's still a great phone to this day

>Paying over 400 for an lcd phone
faggot

buying an ink printer after I moved
I replaced it with a brother laser printer after a year and the only reason I have not thrown the inkjet out an 8th floor window is that it has a functional scanner
(not to mention somebody could get the inkjet in the head)

Attached: 1563431130758.jpg (1280x721, 92K)

Even if inkjet - brother is a good brand

buying a OnePlus6 when a less powerful phone with bigger battery would have been better
buying a G3 iBook
buying a Huawei MediaPad X2, slow and no mod support
buying whatever shitty PSU I have that's noisy AF and not researching a quiet PSU
falling for the AIO water-cooling meme
falling for the Zowie mouse meme
falling for the mech keyboard meme
falling for the headphone amp meme
buying a shit BenQ 144Hz gayming monitor

Blue fags are the worst.

Buying and MSI laptop. The fan, the heat, the horrible fucking case.

Managed to sell it for more than I paid for it.

NEVER AGAIN

Gaming laptop. I have an i7 3770k system that is still powerful today when paired with a good GPU, but the gaming laptop I bought to "replace it" is already showing age and there's nothing I can do about it. I don't know what I was thinking. Worse is the thing is so fucking huge there's no way to use it on your lap, and the battery life is like 2 hours at best staring at the desktop. Shit value, shit longevity, shit decision all around. Never again.

Are you retarded? Why do you need people to shill a product to validate your purchase? The 7 pro is still the best smartphone out there with the best display. Even the new anus phone isn't as good because of the 1080 screen and... anus.
t. day one 7 pro user, I love it and don't regret my purchase in the slightest, I plan on keeping it for at least another 2 years.

xiaomi build quality is brilliant. I own both a laptop and phone from them.

>buying a shit BenQ 144Hz gayming monitor
which one? Not the XL2411?

This, i bought an Asus gaming laptop.
Sadly seems like all laptops nowadays are pure shit, be it Asus, Lenovo, Acer, Dell, MSI...

it is 27" but XL sounds right

Gaming laptop. Never agaij

Really? In my country Asus was considered great, definitely better than Acer, Dell. HP and Lenovo few years ago (I'm not really following laptop trends anymore).
I'm talking about sub $500 laptop.

radeon vii
external ssd (possible user error)

Why? Its great, I could not be more comfortable on my H61 maxed out, got them at their cheapest point.

Always get work related laptops and just game on self built desktops

user honest question here, but are being sarcastic? I haven't heard much about their build quality before. Where did you buy yours?

driving a motor vehicle

Are u a woman or something? Highways scary baby?