/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1553809906000.jpg (2272x1704, 1.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusion-issues/issues
guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Desktop-Services.html#Desktop-Services
wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme
gnome-look.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

INSTALL GUIX

Attached: 1bFcg3Y-830x460.jpg (830x460, 37K)

>stallman is a jew
Jow Forumshas been right all along
uninstalling linux as we speak

I mean it makes sense. He's a dirty commie, why wouldnt he be a kike?

INSTALL BRAIN

If you uninstall Linux,you uninstalled a kernel made by some finnish student; and you're still left with a system made by the jew, retard.
He is not, retard.

Bye polack

reminder that Bash is written by a black man.

>He is not, retard.
He is a kike and he is communist

No he's not. GTFO

>using bash in the year 5779
Yikes

Nah not really, just leave.

Found the zshkiddie, no better than a macfag.
And don't bullshit and say you use fish.

The shills are strong today.

the only relevant shell today
other options are hipster crap

what do they shill though?

>zsh
YIKES
>sh is hipster crap
kys zoomer

do you seriously use sh today?

I don't, but that user said that all other options(including sh) are hipster crap, which is false.

Any volunteers interested in software synthesizers? You can contribute to the biggest and most revered free software synth project zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net, it needs you:
github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusion-issues/issues

Attached: ZynAddSubFX Synth.png (1181x659, 153K)

who in their right mind uses sh today?

GOG.com > Steam
Gamers, use GOG when possible.
It provides you directly with an .exe file of a game, and doesn't install a potentially harmful proprietary software client that controls your actions.

Bringing my thread here
This showed up after I installed Ubuntu 19.04, what I should do?

Attached: 20190728_125441.jpg (2160x2160, 1.98M)

imagine installing ubuntu

Nvm, figured it out

What USE flags do I need to enable for visualizer with mpd/ncmpcpp? I have 'fifo' on mpd and 'visualizer' on ncmpcpp. Mpd doesn't create the fifo file. My config works in Arch so I know it's no that

Attached: 1532245110817s.jpg (124x122, 2K)

Is there any way I can install KDE on Guix? I know it isn't officially supported.

Attached: symphogay.gif (224x224, 722K)

How much work is it to modify a WM theme?
I just want green bars to go with my green stuff

So I've got an ancient thinkpad l412 with just 2 gb of ram. I installed ubuntu and it was slower than a snail. I did a apt install lubuntu-desktop and now its magically faster!
Why is this so? Just RAM or something about ubuntu requiring "3d video acceleration" (I don't know what that means).

you can install it on your own, I don't think it's hard
besides, you can roll back if it doesn't work
guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Desktop-Services.html#Desktop-Services

depends on wm

Which distro has the best driver support?

Attached: 1562027831527.jpg (384x384, 28K)

can't go wrong with the mainstream ones like ubuntu.
A quick rule of thumb : the more exotic distro you chose, more time you waste.
Unless you really need that one distro.
~Personal Opinion~

Arch is probably the least freetard distro

I use Ubuntu and it's slow af on my Lenovo Ideapad. I suspect it's driver problem.

for Xfwm4?

install linux they said

Attached: rinuxu.jpg (1013x1800, 191K)

>fc21

>what do they shill though?
>Unthinking acceptance of what ever they're told by their side.
They're the useful idiots for the Right.

No harm in trying I guess.

Attached: install guix.png (320x100, 75K)

i just downloaded a theme and it doesn't show itself in the theme section of the appearance settings in ubuntu 18.04.
i'm using the unity desktop, i put the theme in .themes and i made sure that it supports unity and all that, is there something else i need to do? i never had this problem with other distros and desktop environments

So this..... is the power of...... commie software...........

Install Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Long Term Servicing Channel.

you know that free software means that it's free as in freedom and not in price right?

what do the Right shill though?

Just updated Manjaro and Firefox stopped loading any pages. Only Firefox, Chromium still loads pages, Thunderbird still connects to mail, Steam also works. Going into safe mode helps but I lose addons. Deleted cookies and cache but it didn't help. What ddo?

How hard/easy is installing a realtime kernel on Fedora? is it in its repository, and do you use it?

brainlets never learn

Firejail does not work on any gui programs
It executes loads the profile and then opens the window and its just blank. no output from firejail
Loading the programs without firejail, they work as expected

Install Arch GNU.

>>>/global/rules/2

ok so i've created a new profile and i'm adding stuff back in until everything i need is in or a problem appears again

Make a new profile, hope you backed up your shit desu

I did, twice

How can I make urxvt call xrdb -merge .Xresouces
before it launches?

Good

*Parabola GNU/GNU Linux-libre

When sudo prompts for your user account's password, what do you enter if you don't have a password?

Everything is okay now, thanks for support

Gnu/linux distros are yesterday's technology.
The future is *ix-based systems.

wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme

what part of a DE displays a desktop background?
trying to do some custom openbox based stuff but I'm too brainlet for this one

Bye bye

Attached: ☭.png (1152x864, 408K)

because it's simply a retard distro

I want to move /home to other destination. Is it possible to delete /home and still have everything working?

Attached: 1417842307459.jpg (640x480, 26K)

>the more exotic distro you chose, more time you waste.
indeed, and I can pretend figuring out what packages to install with one command is learning about linux, it's perfect!

there's no such thing as exotic distros, 99 out of 100 distros are all the same.

Is their anything similar to redshift but gives me more control?

Where did you install the theme?

Some DEs are finnicky about it, and require it to be installed systemwide in /usr/share/themes.

If you have it installed in ~/.themes:

cd ~/.themes/
sudo mv folder_name/ /usr/share/themes/

Then relaunch the settings app or tweak tool and it should be visible. If not, inspect the folder, there should be folders for GTK2, GTK3, and Unity, if it includes a Unity theme.

You can control redshift with an applet, there's redshift-gtk for Cinnamon/XFCE/MATE, redshift extension for GNOME, and a plasma applet. What kind of control are you looking for?

What is a sane gtk.css for GTK3? Nothing fancy, I just want to recover the default looks for Firefox bookmark window.

Another thing that prevents you from using themes is the folder structure, sometimes when you unzip it it has a useless container folder

Like so:
~/.themes/Theme_Name/Theme_name_light/gtk-3.0

If it looks like this, move Theme_name_light to ~/.themes, and it should be visible, if not try moving it to /usr/share/themes as described in my previous post.

How does Stallman even have his laptop out in these places? There's no way his battery lasts longer than like an hour or two, right?

What DE are you using? If KDE, try the Breeze GTK theme if you're using the matching QT/KDE theme.

If using GNOME or another GTK environment, just find a GTK theme you like, and it should take care of firefox

Try looking on gnome-look.org/

I have some scripts in /usr/local/bin

How do I run them by command instead of evoking the full path.

For example

I want to type
cleanfolder

rather than /usr/local/bin/cleanfolder.sh

Did you mess with the configuration file? You have plenty of control that way.

No DE, just a WM :/

His battery is always 100%. RMS' brain powers it directly.

I want to lower the blue light that emits from my monitor.

I remember being able to change the Gtk theme in lxappearance but I don't remember if it was Openbox or a WM so try that

Try LXAppearance from LXDE/LXQT to set the GTK theme. Grab one from gnome-look and place it in ~/.themes or /usr/share/themes/ and then use lxappearance to set the theme to the one you want. Should work even in a wm with no settings daemon. Best of luck.

I got it, thanks.

Rename the script to not have an extension

You could set the temperature to a certain amount and have it always on. I don't know how to accomplish this with GNOME but you should be able to accomplish it with redshift-gtk or the plasma applet, what DE/WM are you running?

I think you can also do it from the command line if you're using redshift and Xorg.

Thanks, I solved the issue adding
.scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
}
to gtk.css

Is dual booting even a bad idea if you have two hard drives? Is there even a difference? I have a HDD and a SDD, 1TB each and thought about having Fedora on the SSD and Windows on th HDD.

I had two SSDs and a HDD and dual booted for a long time. It's nice since you can install various distros while leaving your Windows drive and bootloader alone, and booting that in case you fuck up. But recently the 2TB HDD died (i think it's because the case is too small and it is next to the hot gpu) so I just wiped the Windows SSD and turned it into a storage drive for music and games on GNU/Linux.

But yeah it's totally doable, less and less reason to boot Windows these days.

I don't think I will use it a lot but feel safer this way. I read that dual boot can be a problem because windows updates fuck with the bootloader or something (I'm a noob). So I was wondering if this is less of a problem on two hard drives.

As long as Windows is on a different drive and you set your boot priority to select the GNU/Linux drive first it shouldn't even see the drive or touch it during updates to Windows.

What wm would you recommend ?
I have i3 in my laptop, and i dont wanna try all wms

mlvwm

flwm

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot!

poowm

where can i learn everything about setting up servers?

Stopped using the servers but still use digital ocean's short tutorials since I always forget the exact commands to get my servers going.

for some reason my bitmap fonts are working in some places but not others?

terminus is correct in urxvt/emacs, but not in other gui stuff

bitmaps are enabled in /etc/fonts/conf.d/

Attached: fuck.png (1192x641, 75K)

DigitalOcean has some pretty good tutorials

When I was dual booting the two OSs I needed to have for work, I found that I was always having to switch from one to the other during the day - mainly because we were a small shop and I was our fire-fighter - which drove me nuts. Once I could use VMs, I never looked back.

Any thoughts on Manjaro? Is it any good?

Attached: 1562263794610.jpg (480x480, 30K)

try alias urxvt="xrdb --merge ~/.Xresources; urxvt"