What's the next step for VOIP and social apps after Discord dies out?

What's the next step for VOIP and social apps after Discord dies out?

Attached: Discord_Thonk.png (2048x2048, 104K)

IRC

NERD

Hopefully Matrix (or another open federated encrypted chat network).
More realistically, whatever centralized proprietary spyware is shilled the most.

Discord and Slack*
A free software E2EE alternative is what we need right now. No Matrix client that I know is good enough.

wherever, is all the same fagottery.

how long until Discord has a catastrophic data leak? I say 1 year.

Hopefully it doesn't, I don't want discordfags invading and shitting up my comfy platforms.

Signal?

Mumble

More people should run matrix instances

Likely a bastardized 'Adaptation of IRC as 2000's nostalgia takes hold in the 2020's and as discord bloats itself out of relevance like any other chat app ever

xmpp with a nice gui

It's a good alternative to whatsapp and Telegram (and maybe IRC), but not for Discord and Slack. It lacks a more complex way to organize the channels in a room.

Can it be run stand alone server + clients on a closed network, or does it still need to call home to some corporate bullshit?

what's the point of things like discord if you're not a furry tranny?

It never needed to call home, it just did so in some default settings.

MSN messenger

how are registrations handled?
What I'd like to do is have 4 clients (phones laptops) on 1 server and handle registrations locally. Connections will come from inside local net, and cellphones outside. Almost had it working with linphone, but the inability to consistently traverse NAT broke things.

Mumble+irc

All user registrations are on the homeserver itself.

3PID (email, phone number) associations are made with an identity server, which is not the same as the homeserver. By default, the riot.im client is configured to use vector.im (centralized, owned by the company behind Matrix) as the identity server, but you can host your own or not use it at all (since it just handles associations between a Matrix account and external IDs). There's also a decentralized identity server implementation available.

If your "local net" that hosts the server is behind NAT, you will need some sort of port forwarding or other kind of gateway to reach it, just like any web server. Otherwise, for peer-to-peer voice connections (only when 1 to 1, group calls go over a Jitsi Videobridge server), you probably want to set up a TURN server as a fallback when you can't correct directly (be warned, Riot uses Google's servers as a default fallback if your homeserver doesn't specify any).

Stfu boomer

I really hope Discord dies out, it's a crappy chat app that lacks a lot of functionality even compared to modern IRC clients. Even when I heared about it for the first time I was like "oh an another proprietary shitty IM, they say good things about it but in the end it's limitations would appear or have a similar fate with skype"

I moderate 2 discord servers and the default mod tools in practice are godawful. Most proper Discord servers have bots but mine servers don't have any useful bots that I can use.

There has been a raid because I banned some brainlet that had misbehaving for months and his goons came by and crapped bunch of shit while I was afk. Thankfully the other mods cleaned the mess up.

After that I felt like reporting to the support team using the form, the submit button was locked most of the time due to poo web devs but lately I managed to send it after many fucking tries.

Discord never again.

whoever market for trannies to bee honest

good times

VRChat

Reddit but with voice and live chat in addition to whatever they offer now

Whatever 'app' developed in 20 layers of spaghetti code completely butchering any common sense desktop platform design language philosophy resulting in a steaming pile of shit, that only the most vile tranny redditor would use.
I actually think making it completely in a browser would be the next step, hitting the zoomer paradigm; severely less functional, but slightly more accessible to the tech-illiterate. Maybe that's what it all boils down to: accessibility. I believe the zoomer doesn't care at all how it looks, as long as it has the obligatory edgy-black theme, neither do they care about performance in any sense.
What they do care about is having a free server where they can post their tranny memes and voice chat with their fellow fags as well as having shitty bots that play meme music >lol so funni earrape hehe traps not gay UwU.

lol discord in never going to die, cope and have sex

Discord is basically what you said, it is an Electron app so it runs in its own chrome so you can now have all 16 GB of ram eaten

wouldn't be surprised, bots get onto their servers fairly easy. the majority of their codebase is written in JS because
>javascript is easy to learn and anyone on their team can contribute
>desktop app written in electron kek