Xfce 4.14pre3 released

A new pre-release of the leading Linux desktop Xfce is now available for your enjoyment. This version is very close to what Xfce 4.14 will look like when it's released on October 8th.

Many distributions like XUbuntu, Manjaro, Gentoo and Mageia are already shipping 4.14 pre-releases. Theses distributions will have 4.14pre3 in their repositories shortly.

linuxreviews.org/Xfce_4.14pre3_Released

Attached: xfce4.13pre3-released.jpg (2572x1610, 982K)

Other urls found in this thread:

build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:tangerine:deb10-xfce-4.14
bugzilla.xfce.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=thumbnails
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm starting to really like XFCE after using it on VMs and to rehabilitate old laptops.

I love yeonjung thanks

Trying the 4.14 pre-releases on Arch really made me want to go back to 4.12. Bunch of bugs. The changes I was hoping for didn't seem to be there, the changes that were there were by and large ones I didn't want.

Really? How long ago was this? The last pre2 has a lot of bug fixes and there's quite a few in this one too. There are very few open bugs remaining on the bug tracker. Please do take the time to open bug reports if you try it again and run into issues. The development team is small but efficient.

>I love yeonjung
I'm also a huge fan of Yoo Yeon-jung, she's so talented and gorgeous.

It's quite light-weight and suitable for older laptops. It weights in around 400 MB RAM use on a full desktop system these days so it's not as small as a IceWM desktop (around 200MB total system RAM use) - but it's relatively light.

Attached: xfce4-4.13pre3-gentoo.jpg (2572x1606, 1.03M)

Did they fix the screen tearing?

>No fixed patch has been submitted due to too little time and too many k-pop videos to enjoy.
Lmao

Like a month or so? I haven't bothered upgrading it because I intend on switching distros soon.

Several of the bugs I encountered were intermittent. For instance, sometimes right-click menus in Thunar would either not have their proper size and feature a scrollbar, or would be missing items. Then I'd click again and everything was fine. I wasn't able to find a way to reliably trigger the bug or anything, so it's not like I'd have much useful information to put into a report.

Also some of the things I don't like about Xfce are probably deliberate decisions they made. Thunar runs a daemon, for instance. I can't imagine why they'd build a file manager like that and think it's a ridiculous way to do so, but they're unlikely to be swayed by my opinion on that.

On Intel iGPU yes, I even removed TearFree from xorg.conf

Call me when it gets Wayland support.

Hey I'm a noob is there a feasible chance Xfce 4.14 stable will be backported to Debian stable without everything breaking?

>Xfce
Asians probably look 10x worse than they already do with the screen tearing

>gayland
lmao

KDE is more minimal

I want that folder.

Attached: 1555176605907.jpg (640x640, 105K)

Changes from Xfce 4.12 to 4.14pre3?

Fuck Xfce
Fuck GTK3
FUCK GNOME
FUCK GNOME DEVELOPERS

Xfce is not the GNOME dev team you dumb fuck.

>400mb RAM usage
I have about 175mb RAM usage when idling because I install it on a headless Debian with "apt install xfce4 --no-install-recommends"

Attached: 1559993387407.jpg (423x615, 44K)

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: It's not impossible, it's just a matter of building the new version of Xfce against the versions of shared libraries that Debian has in the stable branch. For Buster that'll be no problem whatsoever, and it's likely to work just fine even on Stretch, for a project that moves relatively slowly like Xfce. The thing is, someone has to do that work, and then build Debian packages from it. Alternatively, the testing branch will at some point get Xfce 4.14, albeit probably not until after it's actually an official "yes this is done" release, as opposed to a beta or pre-release. Once that's done, someone could then take the testing packages and build them against stable, that's where the backports repo comes from. (if you're wondering why there's no new kernels in backports yet, it's because there's no new kernels in testing yet)

But all this hinges on some Debian maintainer or developer wanting to do that. And it's rather unlikely that they will. Backporting things and building packages is straightforward but a fair amount of grunt work, which makes it something that developers tend not to do unless they have to. Further the kind of people that run stable and the kind of people that want the very latest and greatest version of their DE tend not to have much overlap. If you ask, they'll probably just say "Build and install it yourself, or run testing if you want it that badly".

So what's the best distro with XFCE that just werks?

>xfeces

xubuntu

> Debian minimal install with no desktop environment. Then "apt install xorg" and "apt install xfce4 --no-install-recommends"

What's the point of this DE over a WM?
just to have a X button to click on the top?

is there any live distro that uses 4.14 so one can test it?

4.14pre3 no longer has such problems.

fedora xfce spin

the absolute state of rat desktop

>xfce

TEARED

Based.

holy shit this looks awful. how can freetards cope

Thank you very much for this very informative answer. So I take it backporting DE's hasn't been very commkn in the past either? And apart from the time it takes, which level of skill would backporting a DE such as Xfce actually take?

build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:tangerine:deb10-xfce-4.14

Looks like that Xfce 4.14 Debian port has a whole lot of other libraries bumped up to newer verisons. Not sure what effect that has on the rest of the system..

>fedora xfce spin
Nice, currently I have the Cinnamon soon though. How's the xfce?

>leading Linux desktop
[x] Doubt

gentoo

I like xfce and it's hands down the least shit linux desktop. But it feels like it keeps getting buggier with each new version.

Did they fix the 'tumblerd scans through every single file in ~/.thumbnails/ whenever you delete or move a file' bug yet?

ugly

I do not know. I'm not seeing it here bugzilla.xfce.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=thumbnails

Did you open a bug?

ive not used xfce in a while
does it still have that irritating screen tearing?
hands down best de for laptops

It reminds me of LXQt.

Use IceWM on VMs. Everything is configured via plaintext files, and despite the name it’s a full DE.

Thanks again. Cool to know it exists. Might test it out on a non-daily driver before I slap it on my ThinkPad. Will probably wait it out till stable release anyway

still looks like vomit

It's just weird theme, weird icon scheme and weird panel layout, you can change 'em all

redpill me on xfce

It's like KDE but less kitchen-sinky and more lightweight with similar level of freedom, pretty cool

outdated GTK and no Wayland support

>gayland

What theme is this, is it it new?

I wouldn't mind using it for a while, gives me old aero vibes.

Attached: 640px-Xfce-application-finder[1].png (640x147, 50K)

what the hell is the meaning behind this pic?

Go all-in on Chainlink.

Attached: 412741204385070.png (1037x1072, 284K)

>no Wayland support
Wayland won't be ready for actual use for another few years yet anyway